Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Somari and the Guardian of the Forest
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 11, 2020 8:18 PM

May 2019
I have high hopes. The animation style fits the tone surrounding the characters really well and provides a tranquil atmosphere. I think this anime will be beautiful.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Jan 12, 2020 1:50 AM

Sep 2013
Good first episode, enjoyed the setting and characters.

Best thing so far though is definitely Minase Inori and Ono Daisuke, those 2 will easily keep me watching.
Jan 12, 2020 3:51 AM
Mar 2012
Dreamy music & art. The pair seem quite fun for now, and with hints of drama, but unclear how much it'd bring beyond UchiMusume & other parenting shows.

Jan 12, 2020 5:06 AM

Mar 2013
I loved it and I can't wait to see more of this anime. :D
Jan 12, 2020 3:53 PM

Dec 2014
To me this looks like it could be the best anime of the season.
The concept is really interesting and I just love the relationship between the two main characters.

The whole concept of humans being seen as prey and Somali needing to hide the fact that she is a human, makes this whole thing so interesting!

I'm very curious about the rest of the series and I can't wait till next week to watch the second episode on crunchyroll. (I see a lot of people saw some episodes at conventions and such, but as far as I know, here in the Netherlands we didn't have that kind of luxury)

Jan 13, 2020 1:07 AM

Mar 2010
I was screaming "cute, cute!" the entire time. Plus I really like the setting and background art.
My heart is still in shambles after Vinland Saga tbh so this might be really good or really bad for it.
Jan 13, 2020 8:30 AM
Jul 2016
1 Episode in and i already want to punch Somali so bad. Don't worry i don't hate him as a character, i just don't like annoying kids IRL so it affected me.
Jan 13, 2020 8:46 AM

Jun 2013
It was lighthearted and nice
Jan 14, 2020 6:39 AM

Oct 2007
Did not expect I would actually enjoy this.

Was tense when they had to keep quiet.

Also, he's only a golem but he's smart.

Somali so kawaii, must protecc.

When he said "sou ka" at the end. The tone of the voice reminded me of goblin slayer.

Will watch a few more episodes to see where this goes.
Jan 14, 2020 6:48 AM

Feb 2012
I'm expecting a human resistance of some kind hell bent on taking down furry kind.
Jan 14, 2020 7:20 AM

Sep 2019
I have no clue to why that OP made me tear up.
That gives me a bad premotion about what might happen here. Like the Golem will end up being destroyed protecting Somali.

Jotaro's VA doing something like this will be different, but for him to voice a golem will be rather interesting. It's all cute and that, but the explanation about the humans made me sympathetic and understanding. Like, yes, we're assholes for some pretty bad reasons, but, not all us. Then to just simply destroy and eat us is... I wanted to say "wicked", but I've got a feeling there isn't such words for the monster species.

Wonder if they could always just say "Somali had her true horns filed down by humans" as another excuse for her appearance. I also like Golem's design, especially the whole eye.

Still, it'll be nice to have this type of show this season. I always like at least one calm/slow show.
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Jan 14, 2020 1:54 PM

Nov 2015
the artstyle is eye-catching and the OST very smooth, it fits the atmosphere. somali is kinda annoying but a kid is still better than a teenager in a puberty prime. show also got me excited about the fate of the humans

4/5
Jan 14, 2020 2:28 PM

Apr 2015
Quite a nice start, for me the fantasy setting stands out a lot right now. The forest is packing so many strange yet amazing looking creatures. The forest itself looked amazing as well.

Somali being voiced by Inori Minase was a nice surprise, gonna be great! She really brings out the fact that Somali is a child and wanting to discover as much as possible.
Jan 14, 2020 4:36 PM

Apr 2016
the art is really cool but i just don't get the trend of fantasy stories about guys randomly adopting cute little girls . is this the whole appeal or what..?
moe moe ichijou seiya

Jan 15, 2020 2:43 PM

Jan 2014
Wow, I really, really enjoyed this!

The opening song was so soft and adorable! It felt like one of those older Disney movie songs :3.

The episode as a whole was fantastic. I love the world-building too. I won't like though, I'm very worried for the little girl :c.
Jan 15, 2020 3:01 PM
Aug 2018
when's episode 2 coming out?
Jan 15, 2020 3:02 PM
Dec 2019
I can't tell if the show is going to stay cute and happy, or take a turn.

Cause when that mans opened his forehead up and had an eyeball in it... whew...
Jan 16, 2020 10:07 PM
Mar 2018
I kept looking at the progress bar hoping that the episode would end soon. I honestly didn't enjoy the episode-probably because I dislike peppy characters. I am not sure if its the same seiyuu but Somali sounds like that second female protagonist in Toradora and both make me feel VERY VERY tired. For now, I plan to download this anime and maybe watch an episode whenever I have nothing else to watch.

On a positive note, I liked the ending song.
Jan 16, 2020 10:09 PM
Mar 2018
Jet44 said:
1 Episode in and i already want to punch Somali so bad. Don't worry i don't hate him as a character, i just don't like annoying kids IRL so it affected me.

I know what you mean.
Jan 17, 2020 5:44 PM

Jun 2007
I genuinely have no idea what episode of which anime people watched when they say it was wholesome, relaxing and nice.

Perhaps till they arrive at the pub to eat. But after that?
Humans were hunted, enslaved and eaten. All anthropomorphic characters relished those memories.
And then Somali almost got eaten.

How the fuck is that wholesome, relaxing or nice?
Jan 18, 2020 9:15 AM
Apr 2013
The soundtrack was good but I just can't handle this show. For me the pace was too sloooowwww, don't get me wrong I'm a fan of Slice of Life genre too.
Jan 18, 2020 2:31 PM

Nov 2009
errr... this looks interesting.

Tho not really sure yet.

Since this episode is like showing the "slice-of-life" part of the series.

But the summary and reviews suggests the series to be "dark", and "dark" usually means I end up punching my screen. (especially since they're using Human as livestocks, IE: food)

___ ___ ___

And they sorta explained how the Humans died off.

With no surprise that Humans started up the fight with discrimination and racism... only to get smacked and turn into pets and food and literally died off. (tho apparently not extinct as our little heroine is a Human)

___ ___ ___

I get the feeling that at the end of this series they'll either

- find human in a hidden part of the world.

- find that all humans are dead, only the girl left as last human

- the golem dies and the girl gets turn into slave

- the girl dies and the golem heads back to the forest

- both golem and the girl dies
amlgJan 18, 2020 2:35 PM
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Jan 21, 2020 1:33 AM

Feb 2018
I guess you're reading too much into it lol. It's just a slice of life: you can't expect great developments or anything like that. I found it very relaxing and endearing, truly! It seems to me it will be slow paced (like most slice of life series), but I think, throughout the series, other themes will be explored and the mysteries will become clear
Jan 23, 2020 1:23 PM
Jun 2016
I love the beautiful art, music, and atmosphere. This sort of reminds me of a more heartlifting Kino's Journey.
Jan 24, 2020 11:26 AM

Apr 2019
Heart-warming, light-hearted & wholesome, for sure - for now!

I don't know where the journey will lead them to?

I'm definitely not going to ignore the hinted dark plot elements.
Jan 26, 2020 7:07 PM

Aug 2019
seems like a promising story.
art style is colourful and funky, character designs are nice and simplistic
pretty chilled anime but that could change
only problem is that CGI ending song. eeee Yikes thats all i would say.

Jan 30, 2020 3:04 AM

Mar 2009
MayuTheUndead said:
Just want to pop in here and say I'm super glad this series is getting a lot of positive feedback. The anime did a great job making up for the super detailed artwork in the manga with really incredible color design and background art.

Major props to Chiho Nakamura (Color Design, they also did color design for Youjo Senki) and Vincent Nghiem (Background Art Director, first time in this position/debut)
Vincent especially put a ton more effort in the background artwork than most anime studios usually tend to do. He had to check and correct more than 3000 different backgrounds in only a few months BY HIMSELF. Man seriously deserves props, because all that hard work definitely paid off beautifully. People underestimate how much color design and background artwork can change the aesthetic and atmosphere of a show.

It shows. He did tremendous work. The backgrounds are gorgeous.
Feb 1, 2020 10:33 AM

May 2015
Nice firstvepisode
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Feb 2, 2020 10:04 PM

Sep 2018
This is charming, so excited to watch more. Love the main character dynamic and Somali is the cutest little thing I’ve ever seen. PROTECTING HER AT ALL COSTS. I also really like the gorgeous backgrounds, interesting character designs and the beautiful soundtrack, enhances the already pleasant experience this show offers.

Scared some real sad shits gonna happen though. Not ready
Feb 3, 2020 12:43 AM

Jul 2009
Aww, this is really wholesome so far. Also I really love some of the colours used. Those deep purples and blues are really gorgeous and just add to my enjoyment!
Feb 11, 2020 5:04 PM

Aug 2018
Plz anime, just this once... Just chill.
I bet daddy golem can fight tho... NOOOOOO! CHILL MAN!!
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Feb 16, 2020 5:45 AM
Jul 2019
janiwolf said:
This on Kissanime now. I absolutely loved this episode! The fantasy world looked gorgeus and the World builing was awesome. It was fascinating to see all the different races and animals. According to the story that was told
I have to say that humans deserved their fate. But there might be more to the story. Somali and Golem interacting was funny and cute.This is definitely 10/10 anime if the rest of the episodes are as good. Only thing bothering me was the CGI bits in the ending.

'The humans deserved their fate'. Really? For the act of prejudice of some of the population, they all deserved to be hunted and killed, or enslaved and EATEN . Yeah no, that makes absolutely no fucking sense.

In terms of this series, I have just watch one episode (clearly very late to this), and was a bit disturbed so I wanted to check out some of the reactions to it. I can't help but see similarities to A Promised Neverland
. At any time, if the girl's identity is found out she may be hunted and eaten. This is pretty far from wholesome, and I am glad there are others here that agree. I will probably give it a few more episodes.

On a sidenote, this could of easily been some kind of psychological, thriller, revenge story. The slice of life aspects (music, attempted tone, father daughter relationship), don't quite mesh with this basically post annihilation setting.
Feb 17, 2020 2:32 AM

Oct 2010
Always a big fan of these father-daughter family relationships. Super wholesome and Somali is just the cutest
Feb 17, 2020 3:44 PM

May 2015
Awwwwww its soo cute!! Its so nice to get another anime about the relationship between parent and child cause we dont get that many of these. This reminds me of the reason I loved WitchBlade so much because of the mother/daughter love. This looks like it'll be just as good for the same reason.

Im guessing one of the major focuses will be the golum getting emotion by spending time with the kid. Cant wait. The voices arent what I expected but they're still good.

Now they kind of brushed over their first meeting so I hope we get flashbacks later on to what his first reaction was and how he decided to help her.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 20, 2020 11:19 AM
Jan 2018
Find it funny people complain about characters that are supposed to be emotionless,
Feb 21, 2020 8:24 AM

Jul 2016
The scenarios are so beautiful! I was very impressed while watching.
Mar 2, 2020 7:17 PM

Feb 2019
I really liked this first episode, especially the fantasy world. It feels unique and nothing like I've seen before. It was fantastically weird.
Mar 10, 2020 6:17 PM
Aug 2016
I really liked the first episode! The dynamic between the boy and the Gollum is hilarious. The kid is so cute too haha
Mar 23, 2020 12:06 AM

Aug 2017
Ahhhh, that was cute but I didn't care about anything, that brat is annnoying. I hope her innocence ends up killing her in the end.
NurguburuMar 23, 2020 12:11 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Apr 2, 2020 11:23 PM

May 2013
HOMAIGAWD, this was so wholesome TTATT

Loved it.
Somali s'cute n smol <3
Apr 4, 2020 3:39 PM
Aug 2018
Somehow I missed what happened between "finding a sad looking, chained (slave?) child in the forest" and "wandering around with said child that suddenly is super happy".

But maybe this will be shown at some other point?
Apr 5, 2020 11:56 PM

Mar 2020
Wow that was boring as shit
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Apr 6, 2020 6:57 PM

Feb 2014
Wow.... very nice!

By the way, for a moment, I thought Zelda's Lullaby would be playing at the beginning of the episode hehe~
Apr 26, 2020 4:05 PM
Sep 2018
Jotaro’s finally a good dad!
May 31, 2020 1:34 PM

Feb 2012
A golem taking pity for a human and protecting them.
A world without humans. Interesting. The peaceful premise is hiding more obscure things;
Somali was very cute but also clueless. I was scared for her the whole time.

「 To other people, I might not have changed at all, but I feel like I was able to change... 」

Aug 30, 2020 9:47 AM

Jul 2015
Already digging this heartwarming journey of human daughter Somali and her golem dad. It's pretty terrifying to know humans are hunted, taken as slave and even eaten in such a world. Although nothing bad happened so far, got a bad feeling looking at golem's broken arm there...

Sep 2, 2020 12:57 AM

Aug 2015
Some nice background art; interesting color palette. Kind of overusing the god-rays though.

I'm glad Somali running off and getting into trouble isn't going to be the main plot driver for the rest of the show. It was already getting tiring.

Little kids holding adults' fingers are so damn cute aaaaa
Mar 5, 2021 10:22 AM

Aug 2018
Weird, but interesting... quite interesting.

Mar 27, 2021 11:49 AM

May 2018
I like Golem, but it looks like his time is tight. Cracks are never a good sign.

"Are you intoxicated, or just insane?"
Apr 3, 2021 12:00 PM

Feb 2020
Cute and wholesome start. I like the Golem.

SerafosJan 30, 2:21 AM
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 6, 2020

67 by Anarcxh »»
Mar 2, 8:00 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2020

145 by ShitList »»
Jan 26, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 12, 2020

68 by phantom346 »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2020

115 by Muow »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:38 AM

Poll: » Somali to Mori no Kamisama Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 27, 2020

77 by GingZ »»
Oct 11, 2023 3:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.