Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 6, 2019 4:16 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Apparently, it'll be Split-Cour. No info from Official Sources (from Twitter or Instagram) just yet, however.

https://twitter.com/pkjd8I8/status/1180803261902667776?s=20

Here's one more source indicating this:
https://twitter.com/NND7_6361E/status/1180795913062584320?s=20
_MushiRock11_Oct 6, 2019 4:22 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 6, 2019 4:19 AM

Jul 2016
Understandble bcuz the next arc is action heavy. And more SAO is always welcome

Oct 6, 2019 4:28 AM

Jan 2015
Oh, that’s a shame. Well, if it means keeping higher quality, then I’m all for this
Oct 6, 2019 5:16 AM

Apr 2016
It’s sad but that implies every episode will have a really high quality. That would be great!
Oct 6, 2019 5:40 AM

Jul 2017
Xenocrisi said:
Oh, that’s a shame. Well, if it means keeping higher quality, then I’m all for this
HectorBlaze said:
It’s sad but that implies every episode will have a really high quality. That would be great!
Pretty much this. If it can mantain its high quality, i'm all for it! It will be a pain to have to wait for the 2nd cour when the 1st one ends tho.. Especially if they end it in a cliffhanger xd
Oct 6, 2019 5:53 AM

Jan 2011
This was sorta already a split cour, so doing a further split cour does annoy me a little, but I also find the idea of it a bit funny. Yeah, production and all that jazz, no need to tell me.
Oct 6, 2019 6:44 AM
Jul 2017
God fucking dammit guys i really dont understand and im so sorry for being stupid. Willl we still get 24 eps straight or 12 eps now and get another 12 later?
Oct 6, 2019 6:55 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Ph1thak said:
God fucking dammit guys i really dont understand and im so sorry for being stupid. Willl we still get 24 eps straight or 12 eps now and get another 12 later?

The latter I'm afraid with a gap (most likely a Season) in between. Could be 10/14, 11/13, 13/11 and so on too but 12/12 is most likely nonetheless.

Basically, Fall 2019 - 10/11/12 episodes followed by a gap and then the remaining in another season.

Oct 6, 2019 6:56 AM

Oct 2010
lol. ReaperCreeper is right. This was already "Split cour" in a sense, it was originally gonna be 50+ episodes but split into two 24-episode seasons. Now it's gonna be 24+12+12. this better look like a damn movie
Oct 6, 2019 6:57 AM
Jul 2017
_MushiRock11_ said:
Ph1thak said:

The latter I'm afraid with a gap (most likely a Season) in between. Could be 10/14, 11/13, 13/11 and so on too but 12/12 is most likely nonetheless.

Basically, Fall 2019 - 10/11/12 episodes followed by a gap and then the remaining in another season.

Jesus christ, thank you so much man!
Oct 6, 2019 7:00 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Ph1thak said:
Jesus christ, thank you so much man!

Sure, no problems, glad I could help out!

Oct 6, 2019 7:14 AM
May 2015
Well, that kinda sucks but if it means better and polished animation then I'm willing to wait.

They probably should have done this for the first half of Alicization as well. Just imagine the Kirito vs Alice fight or the Quinella fight with good animation. They would have been so damn good.

Oct 6, 2019 9:04 AM

Jul 2017
jc9622 said:
Well, that kinda sucks but if it means better and polished animation then I'm willing to wait.

They probably should have done this for the first half of Alicization as well. Just imagine the Kirito vs Alice fight or the Quinella fight with good animation. They would have been so damn good.

And maybe not as rushed as well. Maybe cause LN depends on one's reading speed, but I felt like some of the fights like the one against the flaming archer dude or Bercouli were not done in a matter of 7 seconds like they were in the anime
Oct 6, 2019 10:29 AM

Oct 2013
So a split cour series, is split even more? So first it was believed to have 50 episode straight until it was confirm for split cour to 24/25 episodes and now it has even split even more to 12/13 episodes? So is it possible for a split cour to split even more and even further beyond in the split cour realm? Can we expect 6 to 3 episodes as well?
Oct 6, 2019 10:34 AM

Jan 2009
i do not think this will have high quality animation at all, remember Attack on Titan season 3 did this too because of production schedule problems so im guessing SAO is having that too and considering some comments here saying that this season will have more action like Attack on Titan season 3 did im guessing some action heavy episodes will just have average quality and not sakuga worthy
Oct 6, 2019 10:38 AM

Jul 2019
Sounds to me that they are going to milk it for all it's worth.
Oct 6, 2019 10:40 AM

Apr 2019
"Yo dawg, I heard you like split cours, so I put a split cour in your split cour"
Oct 6, 2019 10:43 AM

Jan 2009
if they really care about high animation quality they should have change the air date to another year (2020) so they can give more time for animators to animate a heavy action story season/arc
Oct 6, 2019 10:49 AM
Apr 2016
I hope it will be 24 episodes now + 24 episodes six months later...
Oct 6, 2019 12:31 PM
Oct 2019
JanPri said:
I totally agree.......
Oct 6, 2019 12:39 PM

Jan 2009
JanPri said:

err isnt it confirmed during the first 2-cour that Alicization arc will be 4-cours total? so that means this split cour will be 12+12 only
Oct 6, 2019 4:51 PM

Oct 2018
deg said:
i do not think this will have high quality animation at all, remember Attack on Titan season 3 did this too because of production schedule problems so im guessing SAO is having that too and considering some comments here saying that this season will have more action like Attack on Titan season 3 did im guessing some action heavy episodes will just have average quality and not sakuga worthy
This Season of SAO will probably be a downgrade in terms of animation quality either way, due to Tetsuya Takeuchi and Ryo Araki not working as action animation directors anymore. These two were more or less responsible for any standout animation since Season 2. So yeah, that's actually a huge blow to it's production.

Like you said, the last minute split-cour decision is obviously for giving the production a bit of leeway or rather for preventing the production schedule to collapse. I remember A-1 doing the same thing back then when Idolmaster Cinderella Girls was airing.
Oct 6, 2019 5:04 PM

Jan 2009
MaceChan said:
deg said:
This Season of SAO will probably be a downgrade in terms of animation quality either way, due to Tetsuya Takeuchi and Ryo Araki not working as action animation directors anymore. These two were more or less responsible for any standout animation since Season 2. So yeah, that's actually a huge blow to it's production.

Like you said, the last minute split-cour decision is obviously for giving the production a bit of leeway or rather for preventing the production schedule to collapse. I remember A-1 doing the same thing back then when Idolmaster Cinderella Girls was airing.

welp first they lose the original director and now they are losing action animators hopefully it will still look decent at least
Oct 6, 2019 7:11 PM

Aug 2017
What does split cour mean?

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Oct 6, 2019 7:24 PM
May 2017
MaceChan said:
deg said:

Correct me if im wrong cuz im not really sure but i thought i heard that they at least got kanno back. The guy who animated episode 4s goblin fight. That to me was the highlight of the season and if hes back thats huge but i wasnt sure if its true that hes back. Would you happen to know?
Oct 6, 2019 8:44 PM

Sep 2015
PokestarFan said:

12+12 episodes with a pause (usually for 1 season, i.e. 3-4 months) in between. They're doing this to ensure that the show will have at least decent quality, mainly because there's quite a lot of action scenes in this part of Alicization.

First half of Alicization was actually crippled by the lack of animation. It did have some nice cuts here and there, although overall (and aside from episodes 4, 10 and 15) it was a mix of shitty camera pans / zooms / static shots, and a bit of proper animation. People usually don't notice this at all... but still, that was quite a downgrade compared to the 1st and 2nd seasons of SAO.
Oct 6, 2019 9:40 PM

Oct 2018
dabdan43 said:
MaceChan said:

Correct me if im wrong cuz im not really sure but i thought i heard that they at least got kanno back. The guy who animated episode 4s goblin fight. That to me was the highlight of the season and if hes back thats huge but i wasnt sure if its true that hes back. Would you happen to know?
Correct. Kanno is back and is the sole action animation director for this season. Although it is hard to say how much involved he is this time. I mean, after episode 4 he more or less completely dissapeared from the show to work on Karakuri Circus. We'll just have to wait and see.
Oct 7, 2019 1:06 AM

Jun 2017
Man, this blows. At least if that means we get a better show for it then so be it but still...
Signature.
Oct 7, 2019 1:42 AM

Aug 2015
I'm not happy about this at all,the show was already a split cour to begin with (24+24) but now they are going to divide it even further,just to milk it

Now,it will be 24+12+12?,fuck

I really miss the days when the long running series were the norm
Oct 7, 2019 3:15 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
According to Manga Thrill,
Oct. to Dec. 2019 - First half
Spring (Apr./May) 2020 - Second half
Leaving Winter 2020 as the Gap/Break.

https://mangathrill.com/sword-art-online-alicization-splits-war-of-underworld-in-2-cour-series/2019/10/07/anime-news/

Oct 7, 2019 6:36 AM
Jun 2016
I think the real reason they are splitting the already split cour is to let the english translations of the novels catch up. As of this moment, only everything up to volume 16 has been translated to english, with the english translation of Volume 17 and Volume 18 set for release on October 29th and December 17th respectively.

That means that if they released all the 24 episodes in one go instead of doing yet another split cour, the anime would actually OUTPACE the english translation of the novels, resulting in the adaption of content that as of right now only exists in Japanese. I'm sure they are planning on letting the first 12 episodes adapt Volume 15 and 16, and the next (now delayed) 12 episodes adapt Volume 17 and 18. That way, the anime won't adapt content that has yet to be translated, pushing people to buy the novels for volume 17 and 18 instead of just watching the anime.
Oct 7, 2019 8:05 AM
May 2017
MaceChan said:
dabdan43 said:

Correct. Kanno is back and is the sole action animation director for this season. Although it is hard to say how much involved he is this time. I mean, after episode 4 he more or less completely dissapeared from the show to work on Karakuri Circus. We'll just have to wait and see.

Well hopefully he has a big role. I do however feel its worth noting that the action heavy portion part of this season is in the second half of this season. So mayber they are giving a break in between to maybe get back some of these animators theyre losing
Oct 7, 2019 3:31 PM
May 2015
madarchod said:
I'm not happy about this at all,the show was already a split cour to begin with (24+24) but now they are going to divide it even further,just to milk it

Now,it will be 24+12+12?,fuck

I really miss the days when the long running series were the norm
Have you seen the animation for Alicization Part 1? The animation took a nose dive on the second half of that season and they resorted to tons of animation shortcuts (Still frames, slowed frames, fight scenes being cut short and etc).

It's clear that A-1 can't properly do a 2 cour action series and I'm glad they're splitting this season, even if it means having to wait, for good animation. Also, this season is going to have way more action scenes than the 1st part so I kinda saw this coming.
jc9622Oct 7, 2019 3:34 PM

Oct 8, 2019 7:33 AM

Apr 2013
If SnK S3 we can wait, perhaps it 2 seasons gap/6 months gap, why this Alicization War of Underworld cannot? Just look how amazing the part 2 be...

For the sake of animation and pacing, I agree we have a split cour...
Oct 9, 2019 8:15 AM

Apr 2016
To be honest I'm one of the people hoping to see the series split in two cours in accord to have the most quality is possible for the series.
Oct 18, 2019 1:28 PM

May 2016
Big Oof for me, I really wanted to see all 48 episode together like it was rumored.
Nov 2, 2019 2:12 PM
May 2016
PokestarFan said:

Simply, it's 2 shorter 12 episode seasons released relatively close together. They're meant to be one whole, but either due to production issues or wanting to keep animation quality consistent, they place a small time gap between cours(10-13 episodes roughly)
Nov 11, 2019 5:39 AM

Jul 2008
Makes sense, probably for multiple reasons

1. production (always)
2. letting the English LN translations catch up and go through Moon Cradle, since Moon Cradle is still technically part of Alicization in a way/same world.
—— side note: I wonder how they will adapt Moon Cradle. A movie or movie series? Another season (but there really isn’t enough material for 12 episodes), so maybe a 6 episode season airing every other week or something?
3. Pacing SAO releases.

Now that they are fully committed to milking the cow and adapting all of SAO, it’s quite possible that they want to skip a season to keep the pacing of SAO related anime fairly steady now that there is more material.

They still have War of Underworld to finish, then I imagine there will be some sort of adaptation of Moon Cradle (possibly a movie or two, shortened season, or longer second cour for War of Underworld... Maybe a 12/24 split or something?), they also have nearly have enough material to do a second season of GGO already and definitely will by the end of Alicization, from there they can go multiple directions: start the adaptation of Progressive, Unital Ring (so season 4 of the main series.... although this will probably come along much later after other adaptations), Girls’ Ops, Hollow Realization, or Clover’s Regret.

Whatever the case is, I doubt for the foreseeable future we will be going more than 2 seasons without some sort of SAO related anime.
Nov 11, 2019 6:05 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
@killbethy I'm not a light novel reader so I really can't comment on future projects but I've to say it's very unlikely we'll be getting a longer second cour of WoW. Aliciazation Arc as a whole was confirmed for 4 Cours after all. Rumors are speculating how the second half in fact be 11 episodes, making the WoW Seasons 1 & 2 collectively 23 episodes.

Nov 11, 2019 7:07 AM

Jul 2008
_MushiRock11_ said:
@killbethy I'm not a light novel reader so I really can't comment on future projects but I've to say it's very unlikely we'll be getting a longer second cour of WoW. Aliciazation Arc as a whole was confirmed for 4 Cours after all. Rumors are speculating how the second half in fact be 11 episodes, making the WoW Seasons 1 & 2 collectively 23 episodes.

I thought originally they said it would be 4 cours (but there was no speculation of the divide)... usually when an anime rube consecutively, you don’t always get those week or two gaps in between seasons, so sometimes “2 cours” right in a row can be up to 26 episodes (this used to be extremely common), so original approximations were that it would be about 52 episodes. Anyways, I digress,,. Without spoiling anything for you, in the LNs there is a small arc (2 volumes that are a tiny bit shorter in page length than most of the other Alicization novels) called Moon Cradle. For reference, from where we started Season 3 through the end of War of Underworld is 10 volumes. Moon Cradle still takes place in the same world, it’s just what happens in the world after the war ends. I think the big question determining the anime’s length will be if it includes Moon Cradle (which is why I was thinking they might do a 12/24 split or maybe a 10/24 split if the episode count per cour hasn’t been 100% confirmed). Since all of SAO is being adapted, you can’t really do a separate season for Moon Cradle without being weird, since it is still the story of Underworld/the world of Alicization and is a direct continuation of the events. It’s also too short for a separate season. So that only leaves adapting it into Season 3, but 24 episodes or under will not be long enough to do that, or, I guess they could adapt it into a movie. The only other option I can think of is adding in some double length episodes at the beginning and/or end of cours, like what they did in the first part of Season 3 - Alicization. it’s just an odd situation, since while people call it something else as an arc name, it’s still a continuation of the same story.
Nov 11, 2019 7:16 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
@killbethy Right, I see. If it does indeed take place in the same world of Aliciazation, then I’d love to see this included in the second cour of WoW too. Hopefully, they’ll be utilising all of the 52 episodes in this way. But I suppose only time will tell so it’s down to the waiting game yet again sadly.

I’ve a feeling they’ll go for 2-3 OVA Episodes in all honesty however but that’s just an ordinary anime-only speculation.

Nov 11, 2019 7:27 AM

Jul 2008
@_MushiRock11_. Eek. I didn’t even think of the OVA solution, but I really hope they don’t do that. Too often, OVAs are more like little side stories that have no real bearing on the plot., I could see a lot of people not even watching it if they do it as an OVA just because of that assumption, which would be a shame since it really is finishing up the story of this world. They’d probably need 3 - 5 episodes to cover it. I just wish they would make some kind of announcement regarding whether they are including it or not. But it’s always last minute announcements in the anime industry, much like you said. Sigh.
Nov 11, 2019 7:49 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
killbethy said:
Eek. I didn’t even think of the OVA solution, but I really hope they don’t do that. Too often, OVAs are more like little side stories that have no real bearing on the plot., I could see a lot of people not even watching it if they do it as an OVA just because of that assumption, which would be a shame since it really is finishing up the story of this world. They’d probably need 3 - 5 episodes to cover it. I just wish they would make some kind of announcement regarding whether they are including it or not. But it’s always last minute announcements in the anime industry, much like you said. Sigh.

Yeah, I can totally see a good portion of the fandom missing out on it due to it being OVA-structured. A Movie is another possibility, and considering how commercially successful Ordinal Scale turned out to be, I'd to have to say this is quite likely too.

It's pretty much every industry though to my knowledge, got to keep the speculations running to increase hype and popularity. But yeah, they really go for the very last minute announcement for these of things and they're nearly always infuriating during the buildup.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 28, 2019

262 by ____panda____ »»
May 22, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2019

193 by RicFie »»
Apr 13, 10:27 AM

Poll: » Favorite SAO couple? [Spoilers]

Kazu-chan-san - Feb 17

7 by Zarutaku »»
Feb 17, 10:24 AM

» why do people like alice? ( 1 2 )

JoshMan - Oct 23, 2019

72 by DiamSilver »»
Feb 5, 10:18 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2019

160 by dilaxd »»
Jan 17, 1:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.