Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Nov 22, 2017 1:21 PM

Jul 2013
This episode was trippy......0.0
That sex scene though, that was unexpected
Jan 2, 2018 10:33 PM

Jun 2017
"Hey, don't put strange things in there"
Jan 26, 2018 6:04 PM

Apr 2015
So...what exactly was Shinji during that whole sequence? Was he that soupy stuff that spilled out of the EVA, that later morphed back into his human body?

"Hey...don't go putting strange things in there." Jesus, Kaji, what are you doing to Misato? :o
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 11, 2018 1:19 PM

Feb 2018
It sucked like every other episode.
Feb 16, 2018 8:58 AM
Jan 2018
Shinji’s having an emotional hallucination throuought most of the episode and everyone’s talking about Kaiji and Misato shagging at the end XD
Feb 16, 2018 9:01 AM
Jan 2018
FMmatron said:
The segment with Shinjis thoughts was very interesting again and showed how strong he's pressured by the desire to be liked and acknowledged by others. Dunno how I should interpret the nude scene of the females,tho.Maybe he wants to be desired in a sexualy way too ?xD

The moaning at the end was pretty hot ^^

Couldn't agree more~
Feb 16, 2018 9:01 AM

Dec 2015
@Valkyboy That's the US/americanized mind, I guess?

@JeremiahOrange https://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:Character_Name_Origins

December 16, 2018
Leo said:

The ending with all that moaning was weird. Unnecessary fanservice.

It would be fan-service if it actually delivered something to the consumer purely to please his base desires (blood, sex, robots cool poses, whatever) without adding anything to the show/episode, wich the series contains actually a lot (probably because the creators were huge subculture "otaku"). There was nothing alluring in this scene (unless I missed it), it was simply directed this way.

@CodeBlazeFate Is it an american thing to consider the "bed scene" this way? (also, this "fanservice" thing on this site...)

maiawatchesanime said:
did shinji say he knew the eva and then he ran away?

Yes, he did. But "running away" was not meant in a literal way obviously.

About the soul merging, there were light hints before.
Rei_IIIJul 18, 2020 3:33 PM
Feb 18, 2018 2:40 PM

Mar 2016
Amazing episode about Shinji remembering/interacting with his memories.
That was a surprising sex scene at the end. Adding such a vivid sex sound on a PG-13 show is really extraordinary.
ShadowkillZFeb 20, 2018 3:19 PM
Mar 8, 2018 9:27 AM

Sep 2017
Well, the show's title explains it all. Weaving a story 2: Oral Stage. Didn't know that Kaji would opt to it in the end.

Rei makes a lot of appearances, but I hate the fact that this episode was just pretty normal.

Also, Shinji comes after 33 days. Remind you of a certain someone? Maybe a certain savior? If that is truly the case, does that mean that his dreams were the temptations of the devil?

I don't care for Misato, since she has pretty predictable. Called it. I don't know why they bother with her after all. They gave some ASMR, some fan service from all of the girls, but I am not happy. I hope that Rei gets something that she deserves more than simple fan service.

The director admitted this.
Anno said:
The truth is, I have no emotional attachment to Rei at all.

In the midst of making Eva, I suddenly realized that I had forgotten her. Her very existence. For example, in episode seven, I remembered and added one shot with Rei. I had no attachment to her at all. I think that was okay, because in episode eight, she didn't appear. Not even in a single shot.

Episode 6 was too early.

At the end Rei says "I don't know what to do," and Shinji says, "I think you should smile," and Rei smiles. ... Afterwards, when I thought about it, I cursed. In short, if she and Shinji completely "communicated" there, then isn't she over with? At that moment, Rei, for me, was finished.

When she smiled, she was already finished, this character.

This is the reason why I am pissed off. Rei is the only one I am rooting throughout the series and I am seriously still pissed off at Shinji. And Shinji has abandoned his parents and misplaced his blame on them. I think it is high time Shinji let Rei become the hero. Rei is, for all practical purposes, Commander Ikari's only child.

Misato has a point, but she is not as smart as I thought she would be. For it being man made, there are too many unknowns. Because after all, that Eva(Or should I say EVE) is the one who killed your dad.

Only 6 more episodes to go. Hoping they don't mess it up.
BTW, What does Shinjirei in Japanese mean?

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Mar 17, 2018 9:55 AM

Feb 2018
I don't know what people are talking about. Unneeded fanservice? If you were watching it with an open mind there was not a single sexual/arousing thing in the episode, save the scene at the end. And the scene at the end wasn't for fanservice either, so I would say that there was 0 fanservice in this episode. Seems like people missed the point.

The explanation was on the radio, for those who don't know what oral phase of development is. Shinji saw all these women in his life as mother figures, not as equals, he's been depending on them like a child is dependent on its mother (if the mother doesn't feed her child, it will die). It also explains why he is unable to make a decision for himself, he is still infantile and waits for directions from an authority.

Misato's urge to be intimate with the, obviously, only man she has ever loved, was completely understandable, seeing what kind of stress she has just been through (obviously, the relationship is two-sided and she sees Shinji as her own child, not as a soldier. She is his guardian.)

One of the best eps in this amazing series, very deep, this show continues to amaze me.

CatSoul said:
So...what exactly was Shinji during that whole sequence? Was he that soupy stuff that spilled out of the EVA, that later morphed back into his human body?

Yes, he was the soupy stuff because he had "no mind of his own" so to speak, meaning that he wasn't able to make a decision of what he wanted to be. Just before he re-materializes, we can see that he has made a decision, he says, decisively: "I."
I think the show also tried to explain how life was created, you could say it was because a part of the mass decided "hey, I want to go there" and left the soup, that's kind of what Shinji did as well.
That is how i see it at least, it is possible that it is not what the director had in mind when he was writing the episode.
Aug 26, 2018 7:53 PM

Feb 2017
Shinji's introspective journeys are the most rewarding parts to this show. The rapid flashing sequences had some interesting stills like concept art sketches of various characters.
Dec 15, 2018 2:08 PM

Aug 2013
An interesting episode.

Dec 16, 2018 6:15 AM

Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
@Valkyboy That's the US/americanized mind, I guess?

@JeremiahOrange https://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:Character_Name_Origins

Leo said:

It would be fan-service if it actually delivered something to the consumer purely to please his base desires (blood, sex, robots cool poses, whatever) without adding anything to the show/episode, wich the series contains actually a lot (probably because the creators were huge subculture "otaku"). There was nothing alluring in this scene (unless I missed it), it was simply directed this way.

@CodeBlazeFate Is it an american thing to consider the "bed scene" this way? (also, this "fanservice" thing on this site...)
Only tools consider this fanservice, especially given the total lack of nudity on display here.
Apr 27, 2019 12:37 PM
May 2018
Overall great episode.
Deep insight on Shinji's mind. We also got new clues regarding Shinji's Mom and the Nerf-facility.
Also appreciated the fanservice
Apr 29, 2019 10:24 AM

May 2016
Being merged with Unit 01 for little over a month sure gave Shinji a lot of time to rethink his life and go through an existential crisis. He tried to think about his purpose in life and how people saw him as before going through the ladies he always wanted to boned but in the end, the one thing that dragged him back was his memory of his mother. That part with Ikari saying that he'll name his child Shinji if he was a boy and Rei if she was a girl was a crazy revelation since it pretty much hints that my favorite ship might be siblings all along.

Katsuragi went off to screw Kaji right after the whole ordeal but I guess that it's one way to deal with stress.

May 17, 2019 7:26 AM
Apr 2016
Well, seems like Shinji just didn't want to leave himself until he managed sort out all his emotions & thoughts, don't think that it was exactly due to others' influence that he left. Well, good episode.
Jun 2, 2019 9:57 PM

Dec 2018
well uh, that last bit was unexpected.
Jun 22, 2019 12:54 PM

Aug 2018
So that’s the fan service the credit scene was pertaining to ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 28, 2019 1:26 AM

May 2015
That didn't sound like Oral stage at all to me
Jul 31, 2019 10:37 AM
Jan 2018
Ok. That was interesting. .. those 30 seconds though 😏
Aug 13, 2019 11:19 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode! It feels more like a recap, but also adding some backstory(like if Genji and Yui's child would be a boy or girl, They would name it Shinji or Rei).

All the crazy acid trip scenes. While it's confusing and maybe trying to mindfuck you, it's still not close to what Serial Experiment Lains has shown me at the end :O

As usual, Rei really has a strong relationship with Shinji. In fact, I even pointed this out in previous episodes on how Yui Ikari and Rei shares the same Seiyuu.

Most likely, they will going to reveal it soon!

Also, Seeing EVA 01 in bandages. It looks like a wounded beast. Kinda scary at times.

During intense moments, Misato will not hesitate to keep slapping Ritsuko even if the are close friends. That's how much she really cares about Shinji.

Also, that sex scene!

I guess we get a taste on what Misato/Usagi would sound like in bed :P

What the hell was Kaji trying to put inside her XD

Glad Mitsuishi, Kotono was okay doing this. With how strict Anno is when it comes to voice direction. I wonder if she had to do retakes?!

Anyways, final 6 episodes. This is where it gets crazy!! Gonna have to finish this as well as the Director's Cut. Death, Rebirth, Death and Rebirth, Death2, End of Evangelion, Rebuild of EVA movies etc.

Same with Nadesico. I just finished Episode 20 a few days ago. So I'll definitely finish it as well as the Prince of Darkness movie.

There's more EVA goodness for sure!!!

Aug 19, 2019 12:29 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Facepalming at people calling this a fanservice episode. I think they don't get the idea behind human instrumentality and what it means to lose your consciousness in a primordial soup.

I would like to focus on how much Misato cares for Shinji. She's willing to slap her best friend in frustration and impotence when she cannot get the boy back. She's truly the only person that really cares for him.
Of course then she has that most iconic of sex scenes. Kudos to Anno and co for how they did that sound only,

SomaHeir said:

Glad Mitsuishi, Kotono was okay doing this. With how strict Anno is when it comes to voice direction. I wonder if she had to do retakes?!

LOL, she certainly knocked the ball out of the park with her performance. Positively scintillating stuff.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 20, 2019 4:04 PM

Aug 2016
So is this the episode/point in the series where all budget dropped? For psychological reasons, of course.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2019 6:44 AM

Oct 2012
Guess this is how Shinji will be "awakened" xD

How to cut your budget 101, make sexy voices while the animation stay the same :P

Damn Mitsuishi Kotono, I'm just glad she's not the one voicing one of the Sailor Moon
Oh wait, childhood ruined xD
"Signature removed"
Nov 6, 2019 6:01 AM

Sep 2012
Am I the only one who thinks it would have been a lot more interesting to see how all the other characters were coping with Shinji's absence for a month instead of spending a third of the episode swimming in his thoughts?
Nov 11, 2019 9:52 PM

Sep 2011
This episode was pretty confusing, but still really interesting.

I wonder if Shinji and Rei are siblings, since his father wanted his child to be called Rei if was a girl.
Nov 16, 2019 1:24 PM

Nov 2017
I wonder what watching this episode would be like whilst I'm trippin' 🤔
Nov 27, 2019 2:32 PM

Sep 2018
This was the best episode yet
Nov 27, 2019 8:59 PM

Oct 2019
It's not a sex scene, it's just a static picture with making out voices on the background. lol
Jan 11, 2020 8:21 PM

Sep 2017
MrLegitimacy said:
Am I the only one who thinks it would have been a lot more interesting to see how all the other characters were coping with Shinji's absence for a month instead of spending a third of the episode swimming in his thoughts?

I absolutely agree. I have no idea what that whole sequence was supposed to add, we already know Shinji's psyche all too well by this point, we don't need another five minutes of Shinji yelling "Father!" and "What's wrong with running away?!" etc, etc... and that whole "you want to be one with me" thing... yeeeeaaah that wasn't it chief
LordQuazJan 11, 2020 8:36 PM
Apr 6, 2020 9:52 AM

Dec 2019
Hmm decent episode i guess, Shinji made it out at least.
                                                         🖤   

Apr 8, 2020 6:14 PM

Apr 2016
I don't think Shinji should be going back to school anytime soon.

After being re-constituted from the primordial ooze and having an emotional regression, homework is not in his best interests.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 14, 2020 6:27 AM

Apr 2016
It's hilarious that people think any nudity is fanservice. I would call the scene at the beginning of the show with Rei "unnecessary", but the scenes in the dream sequence are not meant to titillate the audience at all but are more reflective of Shini's base desires and the conflicting thoughts typical of struggling teen boy.

Also, sex isn't "fanservice" lol. If people have sex in a movie, would you call it "fanservice". What in hell? Some people are weird.
Jun 10, 2020 6:03 PM

Jun 2015
WTH is happening in this episode !

No seriously the guys behind this anime are geniuses. The cutscenes did an excellent job at showing the inner struggles of Shinji from his troubles with his father, his jealousy of Rei because his father prefer her over him, his feelings about all the problems he's been through since starting to pilot the Eva, his friends and his desire to protect them and maybe his emerging sexuality. All of this summed up in a theatrical way. Just perfect.

We could have done without the last scene with Misato but I guess it adds a nice touch.

Just one of my favorite episodes in anime ever.

Jun 13, 2020 10:22 AM
Jun 2015
Misato truly is a damaged women...but who is not damaged in this show..
Jul 18, 2020 2:42 PM

Feb 2020
THANK GOODNESS REI ISN'T DEAD

it's a little strange how things have suddenly become quite metaphysical, with them talking about shinji existing in a quantum form and his soul merging with the eva blah blah... it does seem to have come out of nowhere, it was never even discussed as a possibility before?

it's all a little overwhelming really

did shinji say he knew the eva and then he ran away? what on earth are these evas made of??? and how long has gendo been messing with them and the angels? maybe unit 01 was based off shinji's image/coding and that's why he has been the only one able to pilot it. and i wonder if rei is an artifically created human gendo "made" somehow to fit his image of the ideal daughter that he didn't get. questions lots of questions

also he returned after a MONTH?????? who knows how muddled up his mind would have become by that point. or even if it was salvaged. unless he was "reborn" or something like that

oh my god the oral stage, it just clicked now, it's from freud's stages of psychosexual development. things are getting Intellectual

what the heck was that ending................ i don't care about misato and kaji having sex what on earth
Aug 7, 2020 11:13 PM

Apr 2020
Oh my gosh is that the sex ????!!!!
Sep 4, 2020 8:06 PM

Jan 2019
amazing episode, the sounds, animation, colors, everything was really well done and executed
candies:

Oct 12, 2020 10:50 PM

Aug 2018
This episode was like a very deep study of the main character, which might not be super interesting for some viewers but I think it was done very deep and intrestingly.

Of course there were a few pretty 'mature' scenes, specially one with Misato and Kaji which needs no explanation, Asuka can already stop dreaming about him.

I heard that the next episodes are a must watch in director's cut version...
Nov 7, 2020 4:31 AM

Dec 2012
The 1st day.
Unit 01.
lol at dude saying there's a bell, it just didn't ring.
Shinji gone?
Dat slap.
The 2nd day.
Rei is awake.
Asuka.
The 3rd day.
The 4th day.
Th 30th day.
The 31st day.
Misato naked. No nipples? Free the nipples!
Become one with Misato?
Now Asuka.
Now Rei.
The plug opened.
Misato crying.
Dat breast feed.
If its a girl, Gendo will name her Rei?
Shinji is back.
The 33rd day.
Jinzoningen Evangelion.
Misato and Kaji.
Dat ending.

Well, that certainly happened.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Jan 3, 2021 8:08 PM

Aug 2019
what an absolute fever dream of an episode. I don't even know how to comprehend what Shinji went through, did he experience death? Rebirth? Ascension? What ever he went through this episode, you sure as hell know it wasn't something healthy or good for him probably in the long run. Next episode i'm interested to see what happens to him, as well as Eva Unit 01. Artificial humans, clones of Adam. Now THAT i didn't fully expect.

Last part was pretty...yabai. Lmao truly, Misato actually watched Shinji get fucking reborn into this world, experiencing an outer bodily experience to what i could presume be the equivalent of doing hard drugs, litres of energy drinks and eating expired spicy ramen all at once, and decides to celebrate by having her moment with Kaji? Nice.
Mar 10, 2021 7:52 AM

Mar 2010
Well boring episode. Enjoyed the past few better.
Mar 11, 2021 10:46 AM

Jul 2020
Fanservice was distracting me from what was really going on whoops.
Mar 22, 2021 4:56 PM

Feb 2020
The sex scene felt a little dragged out, didn't really need a minute of Misato moaning. Otherwise good episode.
Mar 23, 2021 5:33 PM

Jul 2020
what the hell did he put on Misato lmao
Mar 24, 2021 1:10 PM

Dec 2013
You know Eva's a little too mature for some when you have so many people thinking there was any fanservice in this episode.
Mar 29, 2021 11:52 PM

Jun 2020
Well this brought more questions than answers. Questions I doubt will all be answered in upcoming episodes, and I can't imagine what the fan theories are gonna look like lol

I think the only thing I can say pretty certainly is that Gendoh views Rei as a daughter
FMmatron said:
The moaning at the end was pretty hot ^^
Fr lmao after everything I just watched I would not consider this to be "too much" like some people were saying
HoodKublaiKhanMar 29, 2021 11:55 PM
Apr 30, 2021 6:37 AM
Nov 2020
Segg + Seggs = Seggs
May 11, 2021 12:07 PM

Apr 2021
Shinji experiences a month-long brainfuck, Misato and Kaji do the secks

4/5
Jun 10, 2021 10:53 PM

Apr 2020
"If it's a boy, Shinji. If it's a girl, I'll name her Rei"

Made me much more curious about Rei's character
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

186 by vinnywizanime »»
Apr 28, 4:39 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

811 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 27, 6:44 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

174 by Haz_Noz »»
Apr 26, 4:22 PM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

72 by daazexx »»
Apr 26, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
Apr 25, 5:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.