Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 14, 2019 2:52 AM
Oct 2018
The plot is really messy and there is no emotional connection to the characters at all. It just didn't interest me and all the violence and explosions for nothing just bored me. Why is this movie considered a masterpiece?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 14, 2019 2:54 AM

Jan 2009
during its time its considered unique

just like Evangelion and Dragonball are considered unique in their time but now those kind of stories are so common it lost its uniqueness and made new fans bored
May 14, 2019 2:57 AM

Apr 2012
Basically this movie is considered the epitome of realistic cell animation, along with the first Ghost in the Shell movie. An appex that has never been reached since because nowadays anything kind of realistic relies on rotoscopy or filters based on pictures.
May 14, 2019 4:28 AM

May 2013
Harley3579 said:
The plot is really messy and there is no emotional connection to the characters at all. It just didn't interest me and all the violence and explosions for nothing just bored me. Why is this movie considered a masterpiece?

It was a technical marvel back in its time.

It's kind of similar to Avatar (2009) where the 3D experience made the movie really shine. There was nothing ground-breaking in Avatar otherwise.
Truly a Divine Comedy
May 14, 2019 4:32 AM

May 2012
Not only you

It is one of the worst movie I've seen. I don't care about animation. If the show has not plot, boring characters, then it is bad no matter how animation look.
May 14, 2019 4:37 AM

Jan 2017
You're definitely not the only person to think this lol a ton of people have this gripe but at the time it was made the production quality was bar none. The mystique that surrounds it today exists because of the street wear brand and movies that constantly reference it.
May 16, 2019 11:08 PM

Dec 2016
Harley3579 said:
Why is this movie considered a masterpiece?

I don't see many consider Akira as a masterpiece, but rather a culturally significant movie whose success made the West start paying more attention to anime movies. There's where its value comes from.

Most of people agree that it's in reality a dull experience.
May 19, 2019 6:45 PM

Apr 2019
Having watched it yesterday for the first time, I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, I can sense that it must have been unique back then, something that came to shape some future animes. On the other hand, I feel it has not aged well - the story is quite rushed and leaves way too many subjects without any proper explanation or hint. As an adaptation, it lacks answers to my "why, when, what, how" questions.

With that said, I understand that people might have found it a masterpiece when it released, though I can't understand why people would say that nowadays.
Jun 12, 2019 8:38 AM

Dec 2014
deg said:

just like Evangelion and Dragonball are considered unique in their time but now those kind of stories are so common it lost its uniqueness and made new fans bored

I watched Evangelion in 2019 and I put it at my #1 spot alongside MP100.

Akira was good, which I also watched in 2019 (pretty ironic).
It's not AS good as some people overhype it to be, but still very interesting.
Jun 29, 2019 4:18 PM

Nov 2009
I mean, it all comes down to tastes and what you personally like/are looking for in anime. I think Akira still holds its ground even in 2019 (the irony is too real), on par and better than plenty iconic anime we have nowadays. Though I understand why it wouldn't appeal as much to newer (specifically younger) fans. To some it's overhyped, to others it's a masterpiece and it's all subjective. For example, I don't like Cowboy Bebop and I can go on a rant as to how I think it's overhyped, but evidently not everyone would agree with me.XD
So yeah.
Jun 29, 2019 4:19 PM

Aug 2018
Yep idk why people like it so much

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

Jul 4, 2019 9:14 PM

Oct 2016
I don't think it's bad. It was a solid 7 to me. The animation is very solid though and holds up perfectly. I respect Akira, but I don't think it is as God-tier as a lot of people seem to think.

PikslapJul 5, 2019 8:14 PM
Jul 5, 2019 7:26 AM

Sep 2017
Maybe is not the best movie or the movie everyone say is part of the bests anime movies all time, but a bad movie? no, is good movie anyway.
Nov 10, 2019 11:12 PM
Feb 2015
Like others have said, its story isn't anything amazing, it was like the the anime version of Avatar in 1988.

Also, and I'm just nitpicking here, I don't think most of you are using "Irony" correctly, pretty sure you're looking for "Coincidence". I got this off of google:

"Coincidence is the happening of one or more events which produce results which were unexpected; irony refers to different singular events happening where the result is exactly opposite of what was expected literally."

Ex.
it's a coincidence if the building next to a fire station catches on fire
it's irony if the fire station itself catches on fire
Dec 8, 2019 3:04 PM
Jan 2011
thepath said:
Not only you

It is one of the worst movie I've seen. I don't care about animation. If the show has not plot, boring characters, then it is bad no matter how animation look.

My words exactly
It is so rare for me to drop something but its unbearable.
Feb 1, 2020 7:46 PM

Jan 2016
It is fucking trash, and yes obviously you are suppose to review things based on the time period but even back then it was just fucking flashy garbage with good animation. Junk with good animation is still junk but a lot of the plebs on this website think otherwise. Kimi no na wa for example is terrible but it has good animation so its a top 10.
Feb 1, 2020 8:07 PM

Dec 2018
It changed the anime climate and was massively influential both in Japan and in the West. It doesn’t have to be good but it’s one of the most important anime movies made.
Feb 23, 2020 2:36 AM

Jul 2011
Having just seen it, I wouldn't say it's that bad, it's decently entertaining and the animation is nice.
However, it's not great or even good.

I'd say it's just mediocre with a vague plot, contrived coincidences, characters not dying when they are killed (the MC should have been dead like 5 times), pointless subplots (the Executive council trying to demote to colonel) and a ridiculous giant blob monster in the final.
Mar 13, 2020 7:00 AM

Jul 2019
It is not only of cultural importance for it's insane animation standards, but also its glimpse into an eerie future for Tokyo. The narrative we follow is messy, but like with more atmospheric series it is not the main point. I've read the manga beforehand and maybe that lack of narrative annoyed me less, but I think this is more of an evocative movie than a plot-focused one. And it achieves it's job greatly. Imagine living in 1988 in the US just minding your business and then some random movie gets a lot of attention, you go watch it and boom your mind is blown by an animation movie. Must've been pretty cool for people at the time. Now animation like Akira's isn't as rare.
Jun 24, 2020 2:54 AM
Dec 2019
Read the manga
Everything you dont like here its in the manga
Jul 16, 2020 6:23 PM
Oct 2019
It's definitely NOT good. That's fur sure. Lol

The overall plot is ok. It's just put together really choppy. I like the post apocalyptic punk vibe. But that's about it. Not enough to hold the whole movie up.

But the characters? Lame af. Nothing about them that makes you care for them at all. And motorcycles? Completely irrelevant to the movie.

A waste of 2 hours.
Jul 18, 2020 5:25 AM

Aug 2016
I remember watching it 1 decade ago and expected to be better, but I felt it was just decent. I just rewatched today, and gosh, its just a piece of mediocrity. Amazing visuals wasted in this mess. Reminds me of venus wars. But at least venus wars had better designs.
:v
Aug 29, 2020 12:13 AM
Feb 2018
It's well made, only this. I can see how this became a classic but by today standard it's average at most. I could write a 20 lines long text about why this movie is overrated by I really don't thing I need. Who likes it today does or by nostalgia or because they want to feel special by liking something cult.
Aug 29, 2020 1:20 AM

Aug 2018
Akira is important for it's cultural significance not it's quality (I still think it's good though)
_______I like rocks__
Sep 10, 2020 10:10 AM
Sep 2020
Surely not, I watched this a year ago and even now I regret watching it, call me an idiot or whatever but I didn't get a single thing what was happening other than two guys screaming Tetsuo and kaneda
Jan 19, 2021 11:06 AM

Sep 2018
deg said:

It wasn't even unique for it's time, if you actually look into anime from that time period you will find a ton of anime very similar to Akira, though most of them were OVAs and didn't have the budget that Akira did. That being said, the reason it gets critically praised is because it SEEMED unique in the west (and still seems unique to your average youtube expert that doesn't know as much about anime as they think they do) and the animation is very well done. Otherwise though, I agree, that the film it's self is not very good in my opinion. I'm too tired to go into why right now.
Jan 23, 2021 4:27 PM
Jul 2019
I personally think it’s the worst anime movie I’ve seen, possibly one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen.
Feb 2, 2021 10:32 AM
Feb 2021
I hated akira it's the Blade Runner of anime it only looks pretty besides that it's mundane and just about as interesting as having your car break down and needing to take the bus z
Feb 25, 2021 12:46 PM

Oct 2020
I remember watching this movie when I was younger and I was blown away by the animation, the blood, the explosions and whatever.

But today I decided to rewatch it and, wow, I was actually bored and gave up watching after an hour and 12 minutes. It's seriously nothing but loud teenagers with lots of shooting and explosions. How was I ever impressed by this garbage?

Seems like 99% of the budget went into the art, sound and animation, it's truly groundbreaking but they clearly didn't spend enough to write a coherent story and well written characters.
Feb 28, 2021 5:34 PM
Feb 2021
no you’re not. that movie sucked ass LOL wayyyy too overhyped lmaoooo
Mar 21, 2021 7:43 PM
Mar 2021
This was so unbearable with mindless violence and screaming that it grinded my ears and had to turn it off in 50 minutes. Its a 1/10 movie.
Apr 11, 2021 3:42 PM
Dec 2016
Recently watched it with a couple of friends and I did not enjoy this movies as others have praised it to be. Tbf tho I would understand how significant it would be if aired back then and I watched the premiere then.
Apr 24, 2021 9:22 PM

Aug 2018
Yalaa said:
It's seriously nothing but loud teenagers with lots of shooting and explosions. How was I ever impressed by this garbage?
lol Well said.

The first time I watched Akira, it was because it was recommended to me as something great. This was back around probably 2007 or earlier. I couldn't empathize with the characters and thought the plot was muddled. I also expected to see science fiction, but in my view magic mental powers are strictly fantasy (despite how they used to be thought of as SF). But I'm generally fine with fantasy and magic and stuff, so maybe I just came in expecting hard SF and was disappointed because of my prior expectations or an SF-focused bias... kind of like how the first time I watched The Fifth Element, I was expecting serious SF, not a spoof, so I hated it.

Years later, I rewatched Akira, hoping that my experience would be similar to my second viewing of The Fifth Element: knowing more what to expect, I really enjoyed that film. Sadly, not so with Akira. I hoped that there would be more there in terms of small details of the writing, more show-vs.-tell for me to discover and interpret, more depth of the story and themes and characterization.

But Akira still fell flat for me. The writing still felt muddled, the psychic powers still seemed silly (but admittedly not as bad as they seemed during my first viewing), and the characters still struck me as completely unsympathetic. The film was really not enjoyable. I sat through it mainly from a sense of duty and not because I was having a good time. It was a slog.

I appreciate and respect the film's place in anime history: It deserves accolades for really bringing the West into the genre. And it did some impressive things with its cinematography and sound design for its time.

But those aren't the kinds of things by themselves that make me want to watch a film again and again. Give me something instead like Howl's Moving Castle, something with rich writing and complex characters with whom I can empathize despite their flaws (or perhaps because of them).

Give me something like Mushoku Tensei (admittedly a series, not a film), which uses its violence purposefully, in ways that make total sense and that advance both plot and characterization, not gratuitously because exploding bodies and extreme blood spatter are supposed to look cool.

Give me something like Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome: sure, it might be more focused on expressionist rather than realistic storytelling, and might have had characters that are more ideas than genuinely realized people, and might just be an example of style over substance--it might not even have had the most realistic ending--but at least it ended with me thinking "huh, that was ... kind of weird, but I enjoyed it and would probably watch it again with a friend."

Give me something, Akira. Give me something better than... you. sigh!

g-
Please don't feed the trolls.

Apr 24, 2021 9:54 PM

Jan 2020
I have a lot of friends that agree with you on that one

May 1, 2021 12:50 AM
Feb 2021
deg said:

I still find just the way they wrote Evangelion unique just how they handled the ending of both the Movie and the Anime to be something that can't be replicated
Jun 25, 2021 5:47 PM
Jun 2021
The story of the movie is not very well paced but the animation is really awesome. If you want to see the plot fully developed you should read the manga. I personally think it’s one of the best manga out there and the story is way stronger then the movie.
Jul 1, 2021 8:35 AM
Mar 2021
Harley3579 said:
the story takes volume 1 and the 1/2 of the 6th and last volume of the manga. The movie itself is a compromise. Yea the creator of the manga also directed the movie but they had to splice the movie’s plot half way through the film. That’s all I gotta say about the movie.
Jul 3, 2021 12:47 AM
Jul 2018
Yes, manga is way better than anime and movie's english dub is really bad!!
Jul 12, 2021 12:45 PM
Jul 2018
No i feel you. Akira is a very generic cyberpunk flick and it's mid af, apart from the stunning visuals, there is nothing that stands out in the movie.
Jul 28, 2021 1:24 AM

Aug 2014
SoldierDream said:
Harley3579 said:
Why is this movie considered a masterpiece?

I don't see many consider Akira as a masterpiece, but rather a culturally significant movie whose success made the West start paying more attention to anime movies. There's where its value comes from.

Most of people agree that it's in reality a dull experience.

Most people agree it's dull? Lol what the hell? Mindboggling statement. Could you provide a source for this claim?

If it's "dull" why are we still talking about it 33 years after it's release?
Aug 21, 2022 1:43 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
one of these days, where there's agreement. I didn't like Akira. The animation was good and colorful that I thought I was watching a Blu-Ray and that's it. but BAD MOVIE!
張大です for 張大勇督察
Aug 25, 2022 8:21 PM
Aug 2021
i was stuck in cambodia because i caught covid during my flight to vietnam. and during my time quarantine in cambodia i watched akira, it was okay i didnt really know what happened because the heat and mosquitoes were killing me. nobody asked i know, just something cool i wanna share
Sep 13, 2022 3:08 PM
Sep 2021
You mfs just had too much expactation on the movie being exactly what you wanted. I know it is a really important/classic movie, so it isn't easy to not have expectations. But it is really important to judge media in general for what it is and not for what you expected to be.

I agree that the plot is a bit rushed tho, but it is a 2 hours movie, it doesen't have much time to develop worldbuilding, plot, characters and how the psychic powers work in detail. So for tha time it has, it is a really great movie.
Sep 20, 2022 7:40 PM

Sep 2018
It's simply "B-back in muh day" clowns hyping this film up as one of the greatest anime ever, thanks to the animation it had going for it (incredible for it's time). Everything else is lackluster.
Jan 15, 2023 9:22 AM

Nov 2015
Akira is a masterpiece and is the greatest anime of all time!
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jan 23, 2023 8:29 AM
Dec 2022
You're never alone my man
Feb 17, 2023 10:01 PM
Nov 2019
KreatorX said:
Harley3579 said:

It was a technical marvel back in its time.

It's kind of similar to Avatar (2009) where the 3D experience made the movie really shine. There was nothing ground-breaking in Avatar otherwise.
[quote=KreatorX message=57605693]
Harley3579 said:

at least avatar (2009) enjoyble simple love story and you care for the characters and world. and ending satisfying
Apr 22, 2023 3:46 AM
Aug 2021
hmm plot is okay considering its time it's something new but his bike was kind of indestructible in many places the ground was getting destroyed but his bike wasn't what was the logic?
Sep 30, 2023 4:22 AM

Apr 2012
I once thought that a dude calling Doga Kobo a "no-name studio" was the height of unconscious ignorance.
Oct 8, 2023 8:19 PM
Dec 2021
I just watched Akira and expected a little more. the animation was amazing but the soundtrack was not. The ending scene was not that good compounded by there not being a great soundtrack to go along with it. A lot of scenes that should have had great scores were left without music. disappointing. 8/10

Compare this to Perfect Blue with an awesome finale and a fantastic and spooky score. 10/10
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akira Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Friendlysoul - Apr 12, 2008

219 by 0rion14 »»
May 11, 7:37 AM

» Akira is not cyberpunk, it's just a paranormal genre ( 1 2 )

TheRedComment - Jan 22

51 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 27, 5:11 AM

» Ending interpretation

Fukoku - Apr 13

0 by Fukoku »»
Apr 13, 11:25 AM

» Tropes created in Akira

curvedtree - Dec 22, 2023

4 by -DxP- »»
Dec 23, 2023 3:55 AM

» New anime has been cancelled?

RobertBobert - Sep 30, 2023

5 by Vaval »»
Oct 6, 2023 11:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.