Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 25, 2019 4:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Second half of the Imaginator arc.

We got to see Masaki Taniguchi, the step brother of Nagi. Kinda neat to see Boogiepop taking action itself though. That ear scene looked brutal, yikes. As complex as this episode turned out, Boogiepop still relies on some straightforward ways to take care of business.
Jan 25, 2019 6:42 AM

Dec 2014
So I guess the doctor has transformed into some sort of justice hero for students, leading them to the "correct" path. I wonder how that's going to sit with Boogie, probably not well considering imaginator's influence.

Aya seems to have a lot going in the background and with the way it ended she already had contact with the doctor too apparently.
Jan 25, 2019 6:43 AM

Dec 2017
inb4 people will still defend this saying it's not confusing, lol.
some mysterious organization towa popped out of nowhere. right now i see no connection of this episode to the Imaginator arc and the only answers i get is from wikia, not anime.
because i honestly don't understand much from these weird abrupt cuts and shifts. not a complete clusterfuck, but close to one
Jan 25, 2019 7:05 AM

Sep 2015
They love to use the depressed slut background as source of mystery or drama, why Japan, why!?
Jan 25, 2019 7:20 AM

Dec 2014
That was quite interesting.

Now we know that there's an organization behind the scenes creating 'synthetic' humans.

I wonder if Aya is a synthetic human too, it would make sense.
Don't know why I didn't realize that the kid from last episode was actually Nagi's brother.

What happened to those three kids that the Doctor dealt with? The fourth guy was originally brainwashed because of his stalker tendencies and then he was cured by the Doctor and save by Boogiepop. That's quite the sequence of events. xD

Wonder what's gonna happen next.
Jan 25, 2019 7:29 AM
Mar 2016
Really intrigued in this arc, hope it will get better. I think i will read the novels after the anime ends but still i really like it so far.
Jan 25, 2019 7:40 AM

Mar 2017
It's so awesome the way little 'random' things keep happening and then they slowly come together. I think i'm starting to finally get who and what Boogiepop is now too. I felt so damn sorry for Anou but i was relieved wen the counsellor (Jin) saved... which is another mystery for me. Imaginator is the villain right? And Jin is working with him/her yet he saved Anou... so is Jin a villain?
Jan 25, 2019 7:58 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
This was very very interesting....

In addition to having our Imagninator/Not Light Yagami problem, we have this Towa Organization that's making synthetic humans and brainwashing people - Whom just so happens to be involved with my second favorite character Aya

I have a ton of questions now, but the main thing I wanna see played out is how this organization is gonna converge with Imaginator and Boogiepop, so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens

Also, how ironic that this new kid is Best Girl Nagi's little brother lol, I will say that I like him so far so he's got that going for him compared to the guy from the first arc...Also that stalker kid lol, that dude is just taking constant L's xD
Jan 25, 2019 8:28 AM
Aug 2018
It became even more complicated but I don't even care, I am still going to watch next week! By the way, I love Boogiepop's voice!
Jan 25, 2019 8:42 AM

Feb 2016
Its not clear to me yet, but things are getting interesting. Synthetic humans? hmmm.

That stalker kid was kinda creepy lol
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Jan 25, 2019 9:09 AM
Apr 2016
Background mind explosions sounds
Who could have guessed we will get a boy... encountering feelings for another boy? Since Danganronpa I thought I was spared but nooooooooooooooooo
Apparently everyone is at it. It moves? A supernatural being. It breaths? A thot. A cat jumps in front of the background character? A demon waiting to re-appear in the next three episodes.
I think I got a wind what this series is. A bunch of imagined fantasy/sci-fi ideas that seemed cool back in the previous century. It seems like it would make zero sense trying to tie it up with the supposed Boogiepop origin, but then again we need one-two more episodes to see the whole picture. The main complaint for me is that my suspension of disbelief is constantly flowing outside the conceptual borders I have build for the series during its initial episodes. I sure hope it does not end up being like the Obsidian Entertainment games, namely Tides of Numenera and Tirany - a lot of "innovative" ideas shoved into a single narrative for the sake of just existing.
Re:formed
Jan 25, 2019 9:11 AM
Apr 2016
kater_tot said:
It's so awesome the way little 'random' things keep happening and then they slowly come together. I think i'm starting to finally get who and what Boogiepop is now too. I felt so damn sorry for Anou but i was relieved wen the counsellor (Jin) saved... which is another mystery for me. Imaginator is the villain right? And Jin is working with him/her yet he saved Anou... so is Jin a villain?

Asukai has been given that power by the imaginator, but it seems he uses it at his own discretion. Maybe the idea is that Asukai Jin sees more and more "corruption" in human roses, and ultimately causes a catastrophe forcing Boogiepop to face against him? But wait before that there is an evil organization behind the scenes!
Re:formed
Jan 25, 2019 10:08 AM

Jun 2015
This show reminds me sooooooo much of Durarara!! I love it!
Read Toriko!
Jan 25, 2019 10:10 AM
Sep 2011
Well, it felt like the episode was over in a flash. And I didn't comment on this earlier, but I'm really loving the OP and ED songs!

uninstallthegame said:
inb4 people will still defend this saying it's not confusing, lol.
some mysterious organization towa popped out of nowhere. right now i see no connection of this episode to the Imaginator arc and the only answers i get is from wikia, not anime.
because i honestly don't understand much from these weird abrupt cuts and shifts. not a complete clusterfuck, but close to one

Towa Organization was just barely mentioned in the first arc, so I wouldn't say they popped out of nowhere. As they're the guys who created Manticore, they've already been established as the bad guys since the beginning. I'm new to Boogiepop too and haven't read the wikis yet, so I might be getting this wrong, but what I think is happening is that we're going to get a clash between 3 sides: Boogiepop vs Imaginator vs Towa Organization!
Jan 25, 2019 10:16 AM

Mar 2018
Probably the easiest to follow episode for now. Really intrueging, but the animation is just average (not what the PV promised) and the music cuts are still weird.
Jan 25, 2019 10:24 AM

Mar 2016
I was worried they wouldn't show this part of the story from different POVs, but they did. Thank god!!

Nagi has an adorable little brother. He seems like a nice guy.

Quiet girl has some secrets that I am curious about. Wonder if she's being abused.

Does Anou like guys? If he does, I hope he doesn't turn into a villain or get killed. Gay characters in fiction are treated really unfairly. Though, so far, I think he has been treated like a proper person.

What did the doctor do to Anou? How did he even get the letter? How was he saved? Can't wait or the next episode.

I was starting to miss Boogiepop. I really love him!
Jan 25, 2019 11:10 AM

Mar 2017
So that guy from last episode, Masaki was Nagi's step brother. That girl Orihata is mysterious too. Then again there's Anou and that Towa Organisation guy. This guy is involved with Orihata too.
It'comlicated as always and really enjoyable at the same time.
Jan 25, 2019 12:08 PM

Jun 2015
Oh now this is interesting
Jan 25, 2019 1:08 PM
Jan 2019
so this got even more interesting to me .. i saw people wondering about things like "where did jin get the latter from?" but are we even sure that jin did it? remember that boogiepop was disgused as the girl who sent the latter AND actually had the original one too o maybe he is the one to put the latter and not jin .. as the witnesses gather we're getting more parties involved and that's awesome .. if i were to speculate i'd say we'll be getting boogiepop's , aya's , naigi's , the synthetic human from the org and imaginators POVs.. really interesting tbh i kept on wishing for them to do a double episodes release just because i can't stand the wait a whole week XD
Jan 25, 2019 1:27 PM

Jan 2018
I really like this arc! In the first arc, I had no clue who was who anymore because I kept getting the names and characters mixed up, but this one arc is a lot more clear. I'm glad I kept watching past the first 3 episodes!
Jan 25, 2019 1:29 PM

Jul 2017
Great episode. It was really interesting throughout.
Jan 25, 2019 2:09 PM
Jul 2018
Im still a little confused but this shows keeps me interested. I liked this episode.
Jan 25, 2019 2:10 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The episode I have enjoyed the most so far. Worked even well as a standalone.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 25, 2019 2:32 PM

Mar 2017
Kame-nos said:
It became even more complicated but I don't even care, I am still going to watch next week! By the way, I love Boogiepop's voice!

Same! Aoi Yuki is my favourite female seiyuu. She's so talented!
Jan 25, 2019 2:34 PM

Mar 2017
Daniel_Naumov said:
kater_tot said:

Asukai has been given that power by the imaginator, but it seems he uses it at his own discretion. Maybe the idea is that Asukai Jin sees more and more "corruption" in human roses, and ultimately causes a catastrophe forcing Boogiepop to face against him? But wait before that there is an evil organization behind the scenes!

That makes sense actually. I just wonder if he's villainous because last week the power seemed like it was going to his head but then this week he saved Anou. I feel like Imaginator is gonna one of those villains that doesn't directly cause people to do evil but plants the seeds
Jan 25, 2019 2:44 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm so the mc here is Nagi's brother. Now that's one weird girl he ended up meeting though. But man an ability that is able to change someone's personality that dramatically. Seems the fight with the Towa group isn't quite over yet. Im curious to see what moves Imaginator has planned though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 25, 2019 3:26 PM
May 2017
is the "standing out too much" trope grounded in Japanese culture? does anyone know?
Jan 25, 2019 3:40 PM

Jul 2015
overused emo slut strikes again
i ve seen too much of those and why is it even a thing tho

Well...
Jan 25, 2019 3:44 PM

Sep 2017
Very little connection to the previous episode. Rather we set up another set of characters that had some crossing of paths with the sensei from last ep. That evil organization or whatever came out of nowhere and felt very random. I'm hopeful it will all come together at the end. One of the nice things about Durarara was sometimes at the end of an arc you'd sort of get an overview from the perspective of Orihara and there'd be a great moment of realizing how everything fit together.

One thing I'm question now is the time line. So this kid who was mind controlled (Anou or something) was told to go to Shinyo academy. That's where all the gang from the first arc goes to high school right? So the kids this ep are in junior high and at the end of the ep he mentions finally getting in Shinyo academy. So we've had a good chunk of time pass. I'm wondering if all this happened before the first arc and him getting into the high schools puts us around when the first arc happened. Perhaps this organization will be related to the man eating manticore thing of the first arc. I believe Boogiepop called that mind control dude a man eater at one point this ep.

I don't think there was any strong evidence that the first arc was when Boogiepop had first appear in the recent time. I think it was just the first time our "MC of episode one" noticed that his friend was being possessed by Boogiepop. I definitely do not remember/nor understand everything from the first arc perfectly so idk. If it's not a prequel to the first arc then this would have to mean all our characters from the first arc have moved onto a new year in school. Not really important. Just interesting to keep track of time.
Jan 25, 2019 3:54 PM

May 2008
Loathsome said:

Because Evangelion (i.e Rei Ayanami). Both novels (which this arc is based on) "Boogiepop Returns: VS Imaginator Part 1" and "Boogiepop Returns: VS Imaginator Part 2" are from 1998, a time when the Evangelion wave was very strong.
Jan 25, 2019 5:29 PM

Jun 2017
Every new episode feels like more weird things were just thrown into a blender because they were weird. Still have no idea what's going on, and every episode adds more characters and random organizations. At least the music is good.

My Anime Blog
Jan 25, 2019 5:42 PM

Oct 2015
Aya's real name is Camille, I wonder what is she? Couldn't be she is a synthetic human too and belongs to this Towa organization? No wonder she gives it away so easily, she is definitely not human at all. I do believe too she is like Rei from Evangelion, her personality was probably copied from her and even the hair color although hers is more shaded. What's up with writers these days, they don't seem to be original but instead reuse every garbage they think its popular!

I think Anou got what he deserved though with that lame stalker tendencies, I wished his mind control was longer than what it was.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 25, 2019 8:07 PM

Apr 2018
I am so glad I kept watching this! It really just keeps getting better and better!
Jan 25, 2019 9:11 PM

Apr 2016
I feel like I would benefit from binge-watching this show. It took me a while to get back up to speed from last weeks episode.
Jan 25, 2019 9:18 PM

Aug 2014
Aw yeah, Spooky E is here, finally looking grotesque as he should.
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 25, 2019 9:21 PM

Feb 2016
Who the fuck is the fat guy. What the fuck is happening
Jan 25, 2019 9:23 PM
Jul 2018

KAMIYU NOT GIRL NAME! AAAAAA

Loathsome said:

Isn't she the opposite of "emo"? She hardly shows emotion. Still a shitty character, but we don't know if she's used goods or not yet, just that she's probably an artificial or programmed human. Or has brain damage.

commander31able said:
is the "standing out too much" trope grounded in Japanese culture? does anyone know?

It's present in every culture. Stray from the "norm" and you'll be shunned (or worse), whether what you're doing is good or bad.
Jan 25, 2019 11:05 PM

Jun 2016
The characters are still very simple seeming but they are by far way better than the first arc. Masaki is super cute and endearing. He's an optimist, he's courageous, but he doesn't understand his own emotions. Orihata cares about people and tried to stand up for Masaki even though it wasn't in the most pleasant way, she's sweet and even though she's mostly a victim, the NTR style plot makes me feel very sad about what's going on. Anou is a gay kid who can't come to terms with his emotions is lashing out at the world for it but he's not a bad guy. These are much better than the non manticore, non kirima characters of arc 1 imo! And we have Asukai who is very awesome so far, he was super kind to Anou before heart stabbing his friends and seems like he really believes in what he's doing.

I loved the relationship building but with the "Orihata does it with everyone" and her non existent self-worth I knew we were setting up for something bad. I also loved how it cut to Anou saying the same "it was love at first sight" line too. It was simple but cute and fun and I was even cheering for Anou until Spooky showed up with his ugly bastard look and ruined everything. I want the best case scenario for everyone except for him right now. I'm hoping Masaki made it to Orihata, or 'camile' before it was too late so Boogie could help her too.

Some interesting notes, I get the vibe that it's something bad Asukai is doing to those with flawed unfixable hearts, but what he did here was simply wake Anou. Is he setting up those with unfixable hearts to have something occur to them when Suiko makes snow fall in april all over mankind?

So Spooky and the Towa organization are a new antagonistic force, perhaps because Asukai and Suiko are too morally gray we need some truly evil jerks. But, for all I know they could be doing something meaningful too. Boogie called Spooky a weak maneater and synthetic human so I assume the Towa agency is making these brainwashing artificial humans, and if so why did they make him so ugly?! Anyways, perhaps it's a branch of the government and the same one who cloned the other maneater from Echoes. What we know for sure is that Orihata is like Anou in that she was brainwashed too. Possibly knowing she cannot allow her emotions to come through she still went on dates with Masaki but tried not to let her emotions overflow to the degree that Spooky would be alerted. That's so sad. She's a terminal, she's not allowed to feel things, and she has to do what she's ordered to. I wonder if Anou would do everything he was told, but it seems to be Masaki wanted to be liked and that's why she would be on call at every moment and do everything one would ask of her to make others happy. :(

Poor Anou was probably suspected of knowing too much about Orihata and that's why he was made a terminal too.

It was cool for Boogie to use herself as bait like she did it(?), she was disguised as that girl and knew that he had forgotten his memories when he said he found the letter somewhere impossible! :D

Edit: Going through this thread, I had took no emotion and going to the same academy as Anou was ordered to & being subservient to Spooky as meaning she was a brainwashed human, or terminal. Her not having parents or relatives and not being able to tell Masaki about her past makes me think some of you may be right about her being a synthetic human. Why else would she have a second name... I may have taken the bait!

Edit Edit: MAYBE THIS IS A PREQUEL TO THE FIRST ARC AND THIS WAS BEFORE TOWA CLONED ECHOES AND GOT WIPED OUT!!!
gfsdfgsdgsdfgsJan 25, 2019 11:13 PM
Jan 25, 2019 11:19 PM

May 2015
YES! DO HER! JUST DO HER!

Towa Organization doing all kinds of mind manipulation. And Boogiepop comes to save the day again. Once again, a good episode flowing from one character to another.
Jan 25, 2019 11:29 PM

Sep 2011
Escaethorne said:

KAMIYU NOT GIRL NAME! AAAAAA

Loathsome said:

Isn't she the opposite of "emo"? She hardly shows emotion. Still a shitty character, but we don't know if she's used goods or not yet, just that she's probably an artificial or programmed human. Or has brain damage.

commander31able said:

It's present in every culture. Stray from the "norm" and you'll be shunned (or worse), whether what you're doing is good or bad.

You killed me with that Camille joke
Jan 26, 2019 12:23 AM

May 2017
The doctor/counsellor seemed evil by the end of the last episode though... and when he found Anou staring at the painting, he said that he couldn't be saved, and yet... saved him?? He also has a crazy red glowing hand now, so that's new
Jan 26, 2019 3:10 AM

Sep 2011
I loved this one, I mean, it was pretty sad in a way, but it was good!

I felt really bad for the guy, all that he did was to fall in love with another boy, but he ended up stripped of his own free will, feelings, and memories; becoming kind of like an emotionless pawn. But he was lucky enough to be saved by Boogiepop. I wonder if he got his memories back, at least he got into the main school just like Masaki, Nagi, Boogiepop, etc.

I hope he will appear again, at first I was hoping the teacher who has that power and is working with the Imaginator would help him, but then he said that he had no salvation, only to free him from that synthetic human's control. I guess he meant that he wasn't going to be able to run away from that guy/organization, but well, Boogiepop was there to save him. And at first it seemed like this organization came out of nowhere, but they must be the ones behind Manticore's creation, and that Camille/Orihata really doesn't seem to be a human, at least not a "normal" one, but she doesn't seem to be bad either.
Jan 26, 2019 5:39 AM
May 2017
commander31able said:

It's present in every culture. Stray from the "norm" and you'll be shunned (or worse), whether what you're doing is good or bad.[/quote]
except it's not. as a European, I myself have stood out for being anti-social my entire life, and have seen others stand out due to either excellence or poor performance, and no one was ever shunned (or worse). I ask specifically about Japanese culture because it's so foreign to me and this may, in fact, be grounded in truth.
Jan 26, 2019 8:27 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Cool episode, despite a lot of things thrown at us in this episode!

Aya’s real name is Camille and seems to be an acquaintance of the Towa Organization. Could she be one of those ‘Synthetic Humans’ too, like what Boogiepop mentioned earlier during their intense short fight. Nagi’s little brother seems like a cool guy so far and his progression with Aya was sweet to see! Oddly enough, the focus quickly changed to the other person who’s apparently had a thing going for Nagi’s little brother, was it or maybe I was just reading too much into it. Poor lad though, first he gets caught and brainwashed and then re-brainwashed before getting caught up in the fight, hopefully he’ll get some time to catch his breath now before the date lol. Boogiepop was awesome this episode, once again massive props to the VA, she sounds absolutely badass and that’s perfect for a character such as Boogiepop. Doctor, the one from last episode, seems to be trying to guide the kids to the right path I suppose but surely it wouldn’t sit right with Boogiepop considering he’s most likely under the influence of the Imaginator. Not much references to Imaginator this episode though, I wonder what’s she’s up to. All in all, many things are happening left and right especially more so in this second arc comparatively bit I can’t wait until the revelations will be out! Hopefully, it’ll play out just as good as the first arc, if not better! Really liking this non-linear storytelling approach and it’s seriously growing on me by the episode, only problem is the wait for a week.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 26, 2019 8:39 AM

May 2018
Ok, just how many Boogiepop alter ego there is, cu'z this Boogiepop we seen isn't the same Boogiepop we saw earlier?

Is it just me or is Anou gay or what????
and that odd girl is she with that fat guy who brained wash the stalker what is she????
Jan 26, 2019 8:49 AM
Apr 2012
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Ok, just how many Boogiepop alter ego there is, cu'z this Boogiepop we seen isn't the same Boogiepop we saw earlier?

Nah it was the same Boogiepop aka Miyashita Touka. They just wore a wig and glasses as disguise
Jan 26, 2019 10:18 AM

Jul 2012
So, is this after the last arc or before?
Boogiepop is still Touka? She was so different @-@
EDIT: Just saw the answer above haha So it is her!
I guess I understand why she was disguised, crazy horse eyed man could go after her...I guess...

But, I'm liking this arc, it is quite interesting so far :O

Jan 26, 2019 10:20 AM
Jul 2018
Great new episode, I can't wait to see more~
Jan 26, 2019 10:22 AM
Jul 2018
JiangHaoyi1979 said:

Is it just me or is Anou gay or what????
and that odd girl is she with that fat guy who brained wash the stalker what is she????
Anou is gay, and Camille (or Aya Orihata) is a product of the Towa Organization and a synthetic human. She works under Spooky E against her will.
Jan 26, 2019 11:15 AM
Jan 2015
I really like how they structure main narrator switches, it's pretty unorthodox and really cool.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 29, 2019

103 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 17 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2019

45 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 8:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 16 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2019

32 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 7:41 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 15 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 8, 2019

43 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 4:51 PM

Poll: » Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) Episode 14 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2019

42 by TheVistrian »»
Apr 11, 2:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.