Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 13, 2019 3:14 PM
Jan 2016
I have to ask... Is this accurate? I saw her cited as the voice of Sheeta through a simple Google search too, but figured it was just a mistake. If she was born in 1982, she would have only been 4 years old when this movie came out. Maybe 5 or 6 if it took a few years for it to reach the US and be dubbed. Say what you will about Sheeta's dub performance, but I can at least say that it sounded far above what I'd expect from a child that age.

(Actually, a good example may be the redub of My Neighbor Totoro. Elle and Dakota Fanning would have been around those ages when they recorded their roles, and while their voices may have brought an... authenticity to those child characters, their reads were hardly what I'd consider masterful voice work. At least with Sheeta, it never felt like her voice actor was just reading words off a page in front of her.)
Jan 14, 2019 11:08 PM
Jan 2008
The Disney dub of Castle in the Sky wasn't recorded until 1998, so she was roughly about 16 years old. I never had any major issues with Paquin's turn as Sheeta. I liked her accent and her delivery for the most part. Only on occasion did she miss a few lines, but otherwise her performance was solid and very underrated IMO. There was a tenderness and vulnerability to her performance that I really liked, and she didn't sound anywhere nearly as strained or forced as in the first dub attempt done by Magnum Studios in the 80's. She sounds especially good at the climax when she's confronting Muska. There's a calm, resigned approach to the scene she brought that I found effective. She doesn't overact that moment, and dare I say it, I feel she's all the more effective because of it.

Also, sorry, I don't agree about the Fannings in Totoro. As good as Lisa Michelson and Cheryl Chase were in the FOX dub, I don't think it's fair to dismiss the Fannings on account of comparison to that version. I never felt either of them were reading words at all. Certainly not Elle; I felt she had the juiciest role in the show and actually just edged Cheryl out. Don't get me wrong, Cheryl did great for the time, but I felt that Elle went above and beyond that. So sorry, I don't find any fault with Elle Fanning's turn as Mei.

As for Dakota, while she underplays the character a bit more compared to Lisa, I still felt she brought enough sincerity to the part. Even with her low-key approach to the climactic search, I still felt for her plight. Would I consider it one of my favorite Dakota roles? No. But does she do a bad job? No. It's just a different approach to the character, and not at all "reading words off the page." Every actor or actress has their style of sounding natural, and to me Dakota felt natural in her own way. Lisa was good, but I liked Dakota's as well. Both dubs of Totoro, to me, have their positives.
Jan 15, 2019 6:59 AM
Jan 2016
That makes a lot more sense-- her being 16 at the time. I also liked Paquin's performance as Sheeta, her confrontation with Muska especially. (It was just a really good scene in general, after spending the rest of the movie running away from her pursuers.) Honestly, I was surprised when I started going through reviews and forum posts on this site and found so many people who disliked her in the role.

I've actually only ever heard the Fanning dub of Totoro. (Castle and Totoro are both movies I missed in my childhood, and I finally got around to seeing both of them just recently, so I don't have any personal acquaintance with the older dubs.) That was just what I got from it. While I did enjoy seeing child characters acted by and sounding like actual children, a lot of their reads did feel a little flat or awkward to me.

(But thank you for the information!)
Jan 15, 2019 9:55 AM
Jan 2008
Duckielover151 said:
That makes a lot more sense-- her being 16 at the time. I also liked Paquin's performance as Sheeta, her confrontation with Muska especially. (It was just a really good scene in general, after spending the rest of the movie running away from her pursuers.) Honestly, I was surprised when I started going through reviews and forum posts on this site and found so many people who disliked her in the role.

No problem. I like to research movies and/or dubs I love (in this case, this film). But don't worry, there aren't as many people who dislike Paquin's turn as Sheeta. When you look online it might seem that way, but in real life, there are plenty of people who think she did a fine job. They're just a silent majority. You can't always use the internet to gauge whether a dub is universally reviled or not. In real life it may not be the case.

That said, yes, it DOES bother me whenever I hear people talk smack about dubs I love, even performances I am fond of. For some reason, the Ghibli dubs really seem to get it bad. I've seen a bit of a bias against some of the actors chosen for these roles, and one of the most outrageous insults I have heard is "this actor is an awful actor and an even worse voice actor". Honestly, that's no way to evaluate a performance. While I can agree that some of the choices were less ideal than others, I could never say anything legitimately bad about the Ghibli dubs. (I only had issues with the lead in THE WIND RISES, which I wasn't fond of as a film, and the rap song in the closing credits of PONYO.) But I've never been bothered by the occasional extra sprinkling of dialogue in KIKI and CASTLE and I especially love Joe Hisaishi's glorious restore in the latter film. And yet, purists decried both as "crimes against all humanity." Yet removing both has caused fans of both dubs in their original forms to speak up.

It's because of attitudes like this that I've decided to forge my own path about being an Anime fan, especially as a dub watcher. I prefer to evaluate dubs on their own terms, not in comparison to the Japanese. For the record I DID see this film one time in Japanese, but I don't consider it any better or worse than Disney's dub, only different. At the risk of blasphemy, I'm not a particularly huge fan of Pazu or Sheeta's Japanese counterparts. Although I recognize Miyazaki had his reasons for choosing them, I did find both to be a tad too shrill for my tastes. James, while perhaps a bit more teenage-sounding, is at least pleasant on the ears and puts a lot more energy into his performance than given credit. Paquin, too, does bring a lot of warmth to her role, the occasional missed line notwithstanding. And her accent actually isn't fake; she DOES switch accents from New Zealander to American in real life, especially when she talks with friends she grew up with in NZ. I always thought the accent was a nice touch to the role.

Sorry if I sound long-winded, but I am pretty passionate about this.
Jan 15, 2019 10:31 AM
Jan 2016
I've always suspected that the Ghibli dubs might get backlash because they tend to use a lot of actors who don't have a huge presence in the animated realm-- even if they're huge live-action stars. The first example that comes to mind for me is The Secret World of Arrietty, actually, probably because I was actually watching my fair share of Disney channel shows at the time. I remember being in the theater and recognizing a bunch of the voices as Disney stars. It felt like an odd revelation, because I was so used to Funimation dubs and the like-- actors who primarily work on anime. But (though it's been a few years, now) I don't recall it being a BAD dub.

I don't mind the long responses. I love to see people get passionate about things. I think we're pretty much on the same page. I don't have a real preference for either subs or dubs-- one over the other. I watch plenty of each, just usually only one language per show. I've always been a very auditory person, so I feel the voice is a very central part of a character and tends to stick with me. It's distracting for me to try and switch back and forth. And I agree: I watched the original trailers for Castle in the Sky, and Pazu's Japanese voice was so shrill. I think it would have put me off from it, even if I had seen it subbed first.
Feb 5, 2019 11:48 PM
Jan 2008
Oddly, too, I've seen some people declare that a previous dub that was distributed by Streamline (done by magnum) is superior. Unfortunately, I can't agree with that, even though some people have told me that I am wrong for thinking so. Still, here's the sample of the climactic scene from that particular dub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYf24brrfqM&t=6s

More topics from this board

» What's the Philosophical Significance of Certain Motifs in Castle in the Sky?

Hethalos - Jun 9, 2013

9 by EtherLux »»
Apr 25, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Cele - Dec 3, 2009

124 by mangalicker94 »»
Mar 30, 9:10 PM

» Dub Discussion

JTurner - Feb 21, 2008

17 by IamCheri »»
Sep 24, 2023 6:05 AM

» Is this movie a ripoff??

tobanga - Dec 23, 2015

2 by Ichilicious »»
Dec 7, 2016 10:41 AM

» Rest in Peace, Uncle Pom (Richard Dysart)

JTurner - Apr 20, 2015

0 by JTurner »»
Apr 20, 2015 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.