Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 9, 2019 7:21 PM

Jul 2014
I've been enjoying the show so far, but I wish 3/4 of the episode wouldn't have been a repeat of the first episode.
Mar 6, 2019 12:34 PM
Apr 2016
A giant recap episode with a few additional behind the scene parts...
Apr 17, 2019 6:43 AM

Oct 2012
Jun and Kyousuke.. middle aged couple, I don't know whether this is accurate or not
But I found it funny xD

Guess they really don't have time to finish the anime in a week
So they made a recap.. kinda with some different shots and completely new scenes
"Signature removed"
Jul 24, 2019 2:27 PM
May 2018
I do love this anime but this episode sounded like "Suzumiya Haruhi loop episode" lol
May 26, 2020 1:47 AM

Jul 2015
I think it's bit pointless to do the whole first episode part again even though the viewer now knows the backstories of both Nana's, really expected them to skip it or show Rocker Nana what she did after leaving the train. Well at least they put a bit more details.

Jun 15, 2021 7:51 PM
Feb 2021
I think it was cool that they repeated the same episode because In the first episode we didn’t know who junko and kyosuke we’re together and it’s cool that eps 2-5 is from the past and it all ties to the first episode or should I say the 6th episode pretty neat
Jun 15, 2021 7:51 PM
Feb 2021
I think it was cool that they repeated the same episode because In the first episode we didn’t know who junko and kyosuke we’re together and it’s cool that eps 2-5 is from the past and it all ties to the first episode or should I say the 6th episode pretty neat
Jul 29, 2021 6:01 PM

May 2018
This is pretty much a recap episode, which feels a bit silly to have this early on...
Aug 20, 2021 9:47 PM

Apr 2015
If you can't see this is a significantly different experience from episode 1 itself you haven't been paying attention.

There are lots of small differences - changes in shots/perspective, added narration, etc. But there was a difference in how I saw NANA and Shouji in this episode versus episode 1.

In episode 1, we don't know very much about NANA - other than Nana just taking in how cool she is, and the two accidentally finding each other again at the end looking at the same apartment. This time, as the girls talk, you see more depth in simple things such as NANA asking "So why didn't you go with [Shouji to Tokyo]?" - knowing she's been through something very similar, this is perhaps her way of trying to validate her past decision by seeing it very similarly play out by this very similar yet almost polarly opposite girl.

It's hard to get a feel for Shouji's character in episode 1, and he may initially come off as unappreciative of Nana, hence the added scene in which he looks in the bathroom and is overcome with appreciation (and lust) by the work she's done. Knowing more about Nana and Shouji's relationship from episodes 2-4, this small detail feels more in line with his character and shows how they've managed to make it work long-distance - another major contrast between Nana and NANA. (In the prior episode, NANA goes as far to as say she'd rather die than let Ren see her as a housewife, which makes Nana getting lost in housework and going on about how she could get used to it quite humorous. Lord knows how these girls will be roommates, but at least they've got individual rooms...)
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 12, 2021 6:56 PM

Jan 2010
That was about an 80% rehash of the first episode. It's good that we have context now for both Nanas' backstories, but I wonder if there was a better way to go about presenting their backstories and portraying their first meeting. As it is, the story has been trapped in flashback mode for the past 5 episodes.
Oct 3, 2021 12:05 PM

Jul 2020
Dude I was so confused for 5 minutes. Getting back into Nana after weeks what a mind fuck recap-ish episode
Mar 6, 2022 2:58 PM
Dec 2017
Sort of a recap but still an aight episode

Apr 2, 2022 4:03 AM

Oct 2018
6 eps in and already a recap? Ape ni brader -_-
~Spiritual Healing~

Apr 16, 2022 3:24 PM
Sep 2020
Even the narrating in this episode is the same as episode one
Apr 17, 2022 2:38 PM

Jan 2021
OFOCN said:
Even the narrating in this episode is the same as episode one

Dont give it up, im on episode 25 and this anime is good.
Sep 26, 2022 2:37 PM
Aug 2022
Initially, I thought I was watching the intro episode all over again: déjà vu! There's one clip of the difference between episodes one and six. You can go from five to seven without an issue. I still like the episode, although one time was enough.
Eliana-SamaSep 26, 2022 2:40 PM
Feb 7, 2023 7:37 AM

Aug 2010
Differences I found on this episode:
- The e-mail Nana received about Shouji entering university
- Shouji perspective when receiving the call from Nana
- Shouji's noticing Nana's cleaning and appreciating it
- Slightly longer scene of Nana on the apartment

Personally I liked it. On the first episode I had kind of a prejudice against Shouji, this episode, by only having more context from the previous episodes and the small extra scenes, was like a different experience. The part of the encounter on the train between the Nana's was a bit repetitive but also was quite nice since now we know about the backstory for both so Osaki's small hints on her behavior make more sense now.
Overall quite nice. It was interesting to basically rewatch an episode but have such a different experience.
Feb 8, 2023 2:27 PM
Oct 2017
This is mostly a repeat of episode 1, the pacing in this show has not been good so far and it doesn't give me hopes for the rest of the anime.
Mar 6, 2023 3:34 PM

May 2022
I can understand the reasons for doing a recap episode, and the additions to the story were helpful for understanding the plot. The story reminds me so much of my own move from my own provincial town. I was just as immature as Komatsu Nana, but I didn't know it. And I looked up to and admired my more mature and worldly friends, just as she idolizes Jun and Osaki Nana. The genius of the author is obvious. She has constructed characters who are believable, because they are so much like real people, like us.

I'm afraid this will be my anime for the spring, and I see myself investing more time and money in the manga as well. The only question is do I buy the digital or the paperback...
Jul 16, 2023 2:06 PM
Feb 2020
Phixiately said:
This is mostly a repeat of episode 1, the pacing in this show has not been good so far and it doesn't give me hopes for the rest of the anime.

Ya, its too slow so far. I wonder what was director thinking of making a recap episode so early on in the show, that too when story has barely begun.

Also, why is this show just a memory so far. Will we ever see story in present tense or just the past tense?

If not for the very high rating & way too much recommendation, I wouldn't make it this far in the show. Will give this show another 2hrs (6 eps), if nothing improves I'll mark it as dropped (I've never even touched a show marked as hold ever).

Edit: Can't believe that I finished the show & liked it. After this episode, I tested whether or not to continue on Episode 12 (with a plan to test it again after 6 episodes, but I never stopped watching the show after I decided to continue after Ep 12). After this episode, the story starts to pickup with turns every now & then.
Kays90Jul 23, 2023 9:10 AM
Aug 12, 2023 9:54 AM

Mar 2020
The scattershot structure of this entire introduction is really bizarre, let alone the fact that the series is still setting itself up to begin with. I've no clue what Nana Komatsu's perspective on the first episode does for anything lol

Shelved this for a while, but I think I'll drop this. The themes that the show has tried to touch on lack any proper integration into the story, and the character relationships are all shockingly bad - especially on Komatsu's side. Hope she manages to escape her friend group of people who don't appear to like anything about her lol
Sep 10, 2023 12:55 AM
Sep 2017
I couldn’t tell if it was a recap or not
Oct 16, 2023 2:15 PM
Mar 2022
I really really like both nana they are so funny
Nov 29, 2023 3:48 PM
Feb 2023
i enjoyed the new scenes and lines but halfway through the episode i set it to a faster speed....
Dec 27, 2023 4:24 PM

Aug 2020
Amazing. I really wanted to see scenes that already showed up 6 episodes ago. Thank you very much.

Dec 29, 2023 7:57 PM
Dec 2023
most of the scenes were repeated from the first episode. It felt like a waste of time and not necessary. Although I do still love the show this was just a terrible episode.
Mar 26, 2:56 PM
Jan 2016
Just the first episode over again, a waste of time
Mar 26, 2:56 PM
Jan 2016
Just the first episode over again, a waste of time
Apr 23, 7:50 PM
Jan 2021
Not sure about the decision to recap the first episode, but enjoyed it nonetheless.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Does this anime still hold up

mydaddy - May 2

17 by GoodReiShun »»
May 3, 8:56 AM

Poll: » NANA Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

jacobpaige - Mar 23, 2008

102 by nelsonnnn »»
Apr 28, 5:21 PM

Poll: » NANA Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

165 by nelsonnnn »»
Apr 28, 5:01 PM

Poll: » NANA Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

74 by nelsonnnn »»
Apr 28, 5:00 PM

Poll: » Nana Episode 32 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Koito91 - Jun 17, 2023

93 by Hailcoaster »»
Apr 27, 10:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.