Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 28, 2020 11:13 PM

Sep 2007
sora022 said:
Just watched it and I have a question regarding this scene

It just made it "real" to him that she actually suffers from a terminal illness and exactly how much she has to do daily to have this life.
Feb 2, 2020 5:07 AM

Jan 2019
Call it cliche or just a tearjerker or predictable or whatnot. I Want To Eat Your Pancreas conveyed a message to me on a personal level as I myself sometimes have difficulty with empathy as I find it difficult to cry or really feel emotional with others. I swear I thought I would shed a tear or cry during the movie. I didn't cry in the end, but it really made me bloody depressed. I really don't know whether to put it at a 9/10 or an 8/10, I'll leave it for later until I get my shit together.

The message as I said was simply:
Develop empathy through the perspective of others, be interested in others. How they feel, what they're feeling, how they live, what they're doing, how they're coping, what do they like, etc.

It's hopefully pushed myself to be a better person and to be more curious about another.
I'm definitely sure that this has been done multiple times like Violet Evergarden I think. Yeah, Violet Evergarden did convey that message as well. If I think about it, I think this anime conveys the message better.

8/10 is more likely than a 9/10 but I'm still not sure.
Enough of my rambling, all I'm gonna say is this anime stuck out with me a lot regardless of plot and narrative predictability and found the relationship between the two MCs quite introspective either great or solid.
Feb 19, 2020 5:58 PM

Jul 2012
Man, what a beautiful movie, somewhat well written characters, lovely scenery and music, great animation. Great relationship and character development.

This movie really moved me. I'm the type of person that doesn't really show much emotion in real life, especially those that make you seem fragile, so I need something like this every once in a while.

Also, I love the fact that it does not just leave the viewer to sulk after the movie, but it gives your the ray of hope and something to be happy about.
HDVisionJun 10, 2021 11:06 AM
Awesome signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 29, 2020 1:43 PM

Feb 2008
Now that I have seen the movie, I feel a gaping hole in my chest...

When the first stabbing report appeared in the newsreel, I knew how it was all going to end. However, till the very last moment, I was hoping for a less abrupt conclusion.

Life would be a sweeter affair if more people took a page out of Living With Dying. Sakura's perspective on life was refreshing, not to mention how she managed to transform the life of another person. As he was able to transform Sakura's.
Mar 23, 2020 10:24 AM

Sep 2008
Did get a chance to see this last night. All I can really say is that it felt by-the-numbers in how the story played out. The unnamed male lead felt less like a person and more like some sort of emotionless shell that made it hard to connect with him for much of the film and the moral it attempted to push in the second half felt too heavy-handed for me to get behind. Sakura was lively as a character, but she didn't have much going for her beyond being the "sick girl" character type that exists purely to contribute to the male lead's developments. The side characters also largely contribute nothing to the film as for the most part, it felt like they just existed.

Some have made parallels of this to Your Lie in April (Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso) as far as premise and development are concerned. But for the show's flaws, the series at least fleshed out its two leads and there was reason for its male lead to be as mopey as he was other than just being that way. As it is, I Want To Eat Your Pancreas felt largely superficial to me with how it plays out its main character relationship and the moral it was trying to push.

ggultra2764Mar 23, 2020 1:29 PM
Mar 28, 2020 8:25 AM
Nov 2015
This movie is better than I expected. It unexpectedly stroke more than one chord inside me.

My only problem is with the ending scene & the epilogue. Should've left some parts unexplained..
Mar 31, 2020 3:24 PM

Aug 2018
It is really overrated I think, cliche and unsatisfying.
Apr 9, 2020 1:38 PM

Oct 2013
Instead of Quarantine and chill, i ended up with Quarantine and feels.

Great character developments, love is about bringing someones up not dragging them down, and apparently Sakura has a brother ? but wasn't exposed that much other from her flashbacks.

This movie could've been better but the plot twist ruined it all, i got tons of ending possibilities but really what a bummer Sakura was stabbed to death, that was so random and anticlimactic imo, It's a great movie nonetheless

Overall score 8/10, i cried a little just a little

Apr 12, 2020 5:50 AM

Mar 2020
Usually dislike these tearjerker shows/movies, but i enjoyed this one a lot. i think because they didn't try to dwell too much on the sad parts like some other shows that try to tearjerk you every 2 minutes. Also loved the way the girl got killed off that fast instead of trying to stretch her death scene by making her die on screen with both MCs crying for 10+ minutes to try and guilt the viewers into tears.

The characters and visuals were great. Loved the interaction between all the characters and even the cliches didn't bother me for some reason.
Floyd Mayweather English Tutor
Apr 21, 2020 11:26 PM
May 2016
Eu acredito que a kyiuko estragou a experiência que o anime podia ter passado, ou a reação do protagonista em relação as atitudes dela.
Translation: kyoku ruined the filmed
Apr 26, 2020 6:50 AM

Jun 2017
Koshi_Inaba said:
I'm posting a spoiler from the sequel novel that was given as souvenir from theaters in Japan during the movie's release

Ohh so that's what happened! What a relief. I know it's selfish of me and that "love is for the living." But I just don't like Haruki to end up with Kyoko. I feel so bitter about it since Haruki and Sakura never really clarified their feelings to each other thoroughly. But now that I read your comment, the ending of this movie has been clarified to me. It was really emphasized that Kyoko was into gum-guy. Something like that. I don't think Kyoko and Haruki have chemistry tbh. She looks more of a badass friend when you watch them together.

Anyhoo...My predictions were wrong. I knew that the serial murderer news was relevant in the story but I interpreted it that when Sakura dies of her illness, Haruki would end up killed in the end. Thus! made him reunited with Sakura. But only after he overcomes his shortcoming about socializing! What do you guys think? Not a bad version eh?😄😃

KoniginElleApr 26, 2020 8:57 AM

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
May 10, 2020 8:15 AM

Jun 2014
Such a bittersweet yet beautiful story.
Rely on nothing under heaven
May 11, 2020 9:21 PM

Jun 2012
Its been a while since I watched an anime that legit gave me feels, its relatable and aesthetically was beautiful with a great soundtrack as well. The twist of her getting stabbed was a total gut punch but illustrates how shit unfair life is.

I have to read the manga and novel now. Also didnt know they released a sequel novel as well. Hopefully that gets translated on a larger scale as well.

9/10
May 12, 2020 3:15 AM
Oct 2012
Very enjoyable, I liked both the story and characters very much. 9/10
Jun 2, 2020 3:51 PM

Aug 2014
Festivity said:
The ending somehow didn’t satisfy me. I loved the movie overall, however. It somehow made me reflect on what living really is...

Same here, I rly like that about Japanese anime, making you reflect on life, but then I almost always think that I missed some things in my life, even thought I did many things I wanted, I wish I could do even more. I don't know if I would be able to live like her knowing my life will end soon or even as him knowing a person I rly like who will die.

Larry456 said:
It's hard to put it in words how i feel after seeing this movie. But it certainly does leave a bittersweet feel once everything's over. It was good but it didn't have what it takes to make me cry, i almost but i couldn't

Same here, but I had almost wet eyes two times during this.

I didn't like the ending credits they should make some more animations to put in there.

There was a moment with all the flashbacks when they were shown at the beach, but that never happened? strange

I liked how they shown Fukuoka in the movie, I've been there myself, so I liked it even more :)

The way Sakura died really surprised me!! I also hated it.
I also dislike this girl Takimoto till the end. I couldn't get along with such a person.

I think some movies should be longer :O like this one... I need to find something like this one, but with happy ending... :(
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
Jun 18, 2020 7:10 AM

Apr 2020
I cried seeing this anime :(
Jul 20, 2020 11:57 AM

May 2015
It was very ok movie. I would give it 8, i just don't like MC-boy.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 21, 2020 2:53 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Someone stabbing a random person on the street ? wtf, Sakura was really cursed with death.
Well the first part with Sakura and Haruki looked just like a cliché highschool drama for teenagers, the last part where she's dead was absolutely great, so I just don't know how to rate it, but anyway I think Your Lie in April did better with this genre.
Jul 24, 2020 8:28 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Amazing movie. It had a good twist. It had a great feeling. It had a nice moment when needed. It had a lot of sweet quote about the life, and such. I mean, yeah, the moral lesson had a deep meaning and become wider when you realise the depth of it. Everything were come smooth, and this movie suited well on my masterpiece list. No doubt. No needed long ass explanations. No other reason. 10/10!
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jul 31, 2020 3:57 AM

Jun 2020
it was a beautiful movie & the characters were really interesting & had great development, sound direction was amazing as well the songs used were so lovely & sad & beautiful.

wish they weren’t so cruel to sakura’s character tho, what happened to her was just cruel. i guess that’s just life. the realism hit hard. it was bittersweet & she lived on in him, glad to see he has moved on in the after credits scene & she will still remain a part of his life

8/10 it was a pretty straightforward movie nevertheless really enjoyed it!

but i’ll probably remember over and over again
you were there and everyone else was there
— the day we all searched for just one thing

Aug 16, 2020 6:58 AM

Sep 2016
This movie is unfair on several levels.
bruh
Aug 22, 2020 11:49 PM

Sep 2018
Brilliant movie, loved the dynamics between the characters, executed so well. I was moved and I did not expect the little twist at the end. 10/10, not too many films are as good for me personally.
Sep 1, 2020 5:01 PM
Aug 2020
I wanted to cry today and I cried.

beautiful movie with good lessons to take from it :')
Sep 28, 2020 3:48 AM

Oct 2013
This was emotionally manipulative feels-bait, which I'm down for, but it barely got me teary-eyed and only a couple of times, so it wasn't very good at it tbh. It also would've scored much higher marks with me if its characters weren't, albeit likable for what they are, artificial and unrealistic constructs snugged tightly into the modern niche of #justanimethings.

Still, I have a long history of falling victim for this sort of syrupy shlock (see: my long running love for Key), so I enjoyed it.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Oct 2, 2020 12:53 PM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
My takeaway is that he needed to learn how to be with other people, and she needed someone to genuinely talk to in her final months of living. They both fulfilled each others needs and wishes, as we see thanks to her, he was influenced to finally break out of his shell and confront the person least likely to be his friend. What a great story, although they couldn't be together for long, she injected life into his, well, life. Perhaps that's what the purpose of her life was, to stir up the life in others, him especially.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Oct 2, 2020 7:47 PM

Jun 2016
The MC is GAY.

Good story though but it’s a bit cliche.

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Oct 3, 2020 7:26 PM

Nov 2019
Well, this was downright awful.

I felt so disconnected from the characters that they felt like aliens. It was impossible for me to care about them or their conflicts.

And not to mention that the last part of the movie was ridiculously bad. Extremely forced, emotionally manipulative, and just plain unsatisfying as a whole.

A 3/10 will do for this one.
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
Oct 5, 2020 10:26 AM
Aug 2019
I really expected this movie to be one of my favorites. While I think it's quite good, it fell short in a lot of ways; the most impactful for me is that it made Sakura's death much softer because of how she died. Had she gone the course of her [short] life and died from her non-functioning pancreas, I suspect that would have had a stronger impact - similar to that of Kaori's death in Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (sorry if that's a spoiler for someone you). My reaction to her death was more of a "what the fuck??" than it was an immediate sad response. Maybe I'm just a bit of a masochist, but that really softened the main 'climax' of the movie and kept it from being any higher than an 8/10 for me. Anyone else feel the same?
Nov 22, 2020 12:07 AM

Apr 2020
This movie truly made me know what pain was. It legit broke me since the main character I can relate to him in some ways oh my god
You are not a flower of hell.

Nov 22, 2020 2:26 PM
Nov 2019
This anime taught so many principles we all know about, but just didnt know how to experience until we saw it. There were so many cherished moments in there that just to name a few would do all the other scenes an injustice. It also reinforces one of my favorite sayings: "Life is a one-way ticket, but its up to you to take the train with the most scenic route"
Dec 2, 2020 1:44 PM

Apr 2018
Honestly, I have no words..... I cried so badly when she told Haruki the meaning of life in her own words. That scene broke me....
Dec 12, 2020 9:05 AM

Apr 2020
Beautiful movie. The tears started flowing when Haruki asked Sakura's mother if it was okay for him to cry.

Sakura's perspective on life should be a lesson to us all.
Dec 13, 2020 12:26 AM
Dec 2020
So deep, thanks for the poople, who being have alot person
Dec 24, 2020 1:30 PM

Nov 2016
I heared mixed opinions about this movie and tbh, I'm surprised how much it resonated with me. Not to mention that I have a soft spot for such bittersweet stories.

8/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 5, 2021 4:42 PM

Mar 2016
throughout the movie i wasn't really feeling it unfortunately

some parts made me smile, but overall i felt disconnected and unsatisfied with the story and characters

i am glad i finally watched <3

6/10

Jan 6, 2021 5:24 AM
Jun 2014
PraiseTheSun123 said:
Well, this was downright awful.

I felt so disconnected from the characters that they felt like aliens. It was impossible for me to care about them or their conflicts.

And not to mention that the last part of the movie was ridiculously bad. Extremely forced, emotionally manipulative, and just plain unsatisfying as a whole.

A 3/10 will do for this one.

Well said. Had me laughing at points with how alien they were.
Jan 6, 2021 7:18 PM

May 2017
myronator said:
Well said. Had me laughing at points with how alien they were.

Oh please regale us.
Feb 6, 2021 12:01 PM

Nov 2019
Average movie. I felt no attachment to the characters. 5/10
Feb 13, 2021 9:10 PM
Feb 2021
This made me feel really empty after I had finished watching it, overall it was a great anime 👏👏
Mar 5, 2021 2:43 AM

Oct 2020
I am cryin in da club after dis one

Mar 7, 2021 6:33 AM

Oct 2009
Manic pixie dream girl and MC were bland AS FUCK.
Mar 13, 2021 6:20 PM

Jan 2020
It will be more interesting if the gum guy turned out to be a drug dealer, and the gum that he is always offering is a drug.

Haruki.....why in the world did you wants to be a friend of that karen.
Mar 20, 2021 7:07 PM

May 2014
First of all, this movie gave me "Your lie in April" nostalgia. I wonder if they got the inspiration from that series because they had so many similarities.

Anyway, back to the movie. I liked the movie. It began with a decent and had a plot, but holy cow it had an amazing character development for the mc. I liked how such different personalities worked so well together. We all knew she was ill and would eventually die of her dysfunctional pancreatic, however, I felt the Sakura had a dissatisfying death. It would be better if she had a similar death to the fmc in Your lie in April". It worked with the plot, though it may have been better with her dying by her illness.

I also dislike they made the mc date Sakura's best friend. It seems a bit forced, especially only a year after.

Overall, I enjoyed watching this movie and I would recommend it, though it isn't one of my top 10 favorite anime movies.

ChunChunMaruXD said:
It's basically your lie in April but focuses a lot more on the romance and teaches how the bonds we make in our lifetime is what proves our existence, and also without the annoying, extra childhood friend chasing the protagonist who has mummy issues and PTSD from playing the god damn piano.

In conclusion, it was literally your lie in April with the best parts and done right. Even though I agree that it was kind of cliched, I felt that this was what made it more relatable and realistic. Hence, I loved it

I couldn't agree more about "Your lie in April". I also felt the part when he got students was unnecessary for the plot. Looks like I was not the only one who got the "Your lie in April" vibe and nostalgia.

Lindaine said:
penisretard69 said:
One question about the ending, also obvious spoiler warning. Who stabbed Sakura? Was it the class president guy, I don't remember them saying anything about who did it.

It's the serial killer

I doubt it was the class president. He loves to brag about himself, but it's hard to see him as a killer. I had one of them in my class in junior high school, so I found it hard for him to be the perpetrator.

I guess it was only a damaged dude with many screws loose.

EGOIST said:
Koshi_Inaba said:

yes, it is, just 63 pages.
The marriage of gum guy and Kyoko was shown in the live-action but Haruki became a teacher in the live-action

I see. My bad. I thought mc was dating Kyoko. LOL. Interesting to know, tnx!

Kokorowagurasu said:
aLotQuestion_ said:

Ahh I see, so it was the gum guy. That visit grave scene was confusing.

By the way, I got something that I don't understand.

Regarding Sakura's ex boyfriend during Junior High.

There was a scene where Takahiro and Haruki are fighting in the rain.

Haruki then ask Sakura whether if he was her ex, although Sakura didn't admit head on but remain silence, I take it as a "yes".

Sakura and Kyoko were friend since Junior High and Kyoko also knew who was the ex boyfriend.

However, when Takahiro made his first appearance by borrowing Sakura a CD, Kyoko said why don't you date someone like him.

If Takahiro was Sakura ex boyfriend, there is no way Kyoko will say something like that.

Was that a mistake from the author or Takahiro wasn't actually Sakura's ex?

You gotta a point, also the way both Sakura and Takahiro interacted in that scene didn’t seen like Ex couple or anything tbh

Yeah, I got the same impression, but I never thought about that again. Now that you mention it, I guess it makes sense. It could also be that the class president is a friend of her ex boyfriend.

Sorrowsenpai said:
So the female lead dies? In Anime and live-action? (not watched either yet)

Yep, she does. Why come to the movie discussion thread if you haven't watched the movie? 🤣🤣🤣

gadboyz said:
Kisaragi said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I have read the original novel and I'll try not to compare the novel and the anime movie, but I think the anime movie is a good adaptation and is more true to the novel compared to the live action.

I found this anime very enjoyable. I myself am not social and don't have much of a presence, so there were quite a lot of moments where I can relate to the main character.
I really liked Sakura's answer to MC's question "What does it mean to live?" . For some people I would think it was a generic and obvious answer, but I think it's something that can be forgettable during times when all you can think is about yourself.
I don't have too much to say about the animation, but I really liked the fireworks scene. Very beautiful. Both the OP and ED songs were nice as well.
The scene where Haruki reads the will was....interesting. It's been years since I read The Little Prince, but I'm guessing the scenery showed the progress of the book? I'm not sure if I liked what they did there, but it was kinda captivating.

I recommend this anime movie. Really enjoyed the character development of Haruki :)

What option will you recommend? Waiting this anime (airing in my country/BD) or try watch Live Action Movie.

I am a bit late, but "Your lie in April" is a good substitution. :) They have many similarities.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
KuniiJun 18, 2021 10:37 PM
Mar 20, 2021 7:51 PM

Feb 2018
mangalicker94 said:

I am a bit late, but "Your lie in April" is a good substitution. :) They have many similarities.

Eh, i am sure almost everyone here already watched Your Lie in April before this one. Not reverse.
Mar 20, 2021 11:23 PM
Sep 2011
It was interesting to not mention haru's name at the beginning. Knowing that both of their names were somewhat connected to each other. 😭😭
Apr 7, 2021 4:15 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Good lord, the title goes from stupid before watching to emotional after watching.
May 31, 2021 9:29 PM
Apr 2021
I give it a 9/10 the thing I didn't enjoy the most was the fact that she doesn't die how she was going to but a was stabbed to death. Now that I think of it early on in the movie it mentions a stabbing happening before in a different town and it makes sense now but at the time I was like wtfffff. Mainly because I wanted something like your lie in April but where he could tell her how he felt and say goodbye properly but other wise I would suggest watching this if you liked your lie in April or even just want to have some sad boy hours lol
Jun 8, 2021 6:51 AM
Jul 2019
Brother, this movie made me cry to the fullest only from the first seconds, yes, when I reached the end, when what she had said really happened. However, the worst thing is that he thought it was the last straw until he found out the truth 😥😭😭💔💔
LUakaPAINJun 8, 2021 6:57 AM
Jun 9, 2021 8:02 AM

Dec 2020
writing this as im watching the movie, maybe ill edit this maybe not

man we're already told that the main character dies at the start of the movie, this'll be hard knowing that ill get attached to her too

sumika singing the op !! banger

i think im pretty good with holding back my tears but ah im crying pretty early on here, at the part where he just got punched by the class rep and yelled at sakura, just that part. where he yelled at her "maybe if i didnt try to interact with anyone no one wouldve gotten hurt" something like that. i rly liked her talk with how things aren't just coincidences, its all done by choices we made

cried again. after seeing how he was after she died. not when the scene that she died showed up.

cried Again. after her diary ended, didnt have any other words written after her "yaaaaay"

CRIED AGAIN. PROBABLY WITH THE MOST IMPACT. WHEN HE ASKED HER MOM PERMISSION TO CRY GOD FUCKIGN DANMIT

WAIRT OH after credits scene????? kyoko's having a thing with gum guy? really cute

finished watching it, that was great. knowing that she'd died ngl i wasn't really excited on watching this, thinking that id regret watching angst but i dont at all. that was a nice heart wrenching experience. definitely would watch it again. fuck im gonna be hpxed on this for weeks😭😭
Jun 11, 2021 11:45 PM

Jan 2021
Wow…….I have no words 10/10

Edit: I bumped it down to a 9/10, the ending didn’t hit the best. This made me cry as much as I did in Clannad: After Story. This is the best stand alone anime movie of all time
SpicelitAug 12, 2021 8:33 PM
under”Mebius” is my salvation

Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Am I the only one not feeling any attachment to Sakura, making the whole movie less sad?

griddyweeb - May 21

20 by griddyweeb »»
Yesterday, 7:38 AM

» That video game song

Masta_Don - May 9

4 by Masta_Don »»
May 11, 3:12 PM

» *SPOILER* did anyone cry in this movie? ( 1 2 )

ichigo23sterling - Apr 11, 2021

92 by KamijouToumaIB »»
Apr 21, 4:19 PM

» The only movie I refuse to rewatch.

dmdm597 - Jul 21, 2022

48 by v-ega »»
Apr 17, 11:58 AM

» Please explain me the ending (Spoilers)

Anime_lover_2004 - May 8, 2020

16 by Atsunome »»
Jan 11, 5:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.