Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 27, 2018 2:05 AM
Aug 2017
@footmaster well this is one reason why it's so good :)
Aug 27, 2018 4:52 AM

Jan 2013
Did we assume time travel anime is going to make any sense? It rarely does. I have a feeling is VN is actually an eroge, story is never supposed to make any sense and everything is aimed towards cheap time reset for guiltless loli harem shenanigans, anime adaptation just cut out the most important part for not being PG.

However, if anime does make sense ... actually, I have another theory:

Did you noticed any time travel in the anime?

It may sounds like the strange question, anime talks about time travel a lot, but did we noticed any time travel actually happening? And I mean, by time travel, time actually going backward.

Because, time never went backward.

Story establishes that there is reincarnation, cycles and every era is going to have the same girls with very minor, unimportant changes. Rinne died, and she is back in the future, looking and being exactly the same with minor wardrobe change! Sara talks about time travel, but never actually time travells, just as the protagonist.

Rinne spent 5 days on the island while 5 years passed outside. Rinne builds the time machine, Setsuna steps on it, and as a result time actually goes faster in the time machine, while no time passes on the outside for Rinne. Plans for the time machine actually goes from the past, again.

Yes, Setsuna have memories of the girls from before, but since Episode 9 threw continuity from the window (by having Rinne alive), we don't know it is memory of the future.

Time actually never backward! There is only reincarnation cycle and/or sleeping in between those.

Next time Setsuna uses the capsule, he will again meet the girls, regardless of the setting.
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Aug 27, 2018 6:27 AM
Aug 2018
Rinne's parents is Kuon and Setsuna.Kuon is real Rinne.Every loop Setsuna meet real Rinne in Never Island and they fall in love.Setsuna is an experimenter of a company in Himawari(The VN autuor's another work).Setsuna is more than one hundred years old,he went through six months every 40000 years.
Time never goes back and every loop Rinne always die.But in midsummer Setsuna didn't lose his memory of winter,this time he knew the true of the world so he try to go back to the first loop to save real Rinne.
Aug 27, 2018 6:49 AM
Sep 2016
beast_regards said:
Did we assume time travel anime is going to make any sense? It rarely does. I have a feeling is VN is actually an eroge, story is never supposed to make any sense and everything is aimed towards cheap time reset for guiltless loli harem shenanigans, anime adaptation just cut out the most important part for not being PG.

It may sounds like the strange question, anime talks about time travel a lot, but did we noticed any time travel actually happening? And I mean, by time travel, time actually going backward.

Story establishes that there is reincarnation, cycles and every era is going to have the same girls with very minor, unimportant changes. Rinne died, and she is back in the future, looking and being exactly the same with minor wardrobe change! Sara talks about time travel, but never actually time travells, just as the protagonist.

Rinne spent 5 days on the island while 5 years passed outside. Rinne builds the time machine, Setsuna steps on it, and as a result time actually goes faster in the time machine, while no time passes on the outside for Rinne. Plans for the time machine actually goes from the past, again.

Yes, Setsuna have memories of the girls from before, but since Episode 9 threw continuity from the window (by having Rinne alive), we don't know it is memory of the future.

Time actually never backward! There is only reincarnation cycle and/or sleeping in between those.

Next time Setsuna uses the capsule, he will again meet the girls, regardless of the setting.

It's actually not an eroge if you check vndb
Aug 27, 2018 9:00 AM
Aug 2017
Jeemz said:
Rinne's parents is Kuon and Setsuna.Kuon is real Rinne.Every loop Setsuna meet real Rinne in Never Island and they fall in love.Setsuna is an experimenter of a company in Himawari(The VN autuor's another work).Setsuna is more than one hundred years old,he went through six months every 40000 years.
Time never goes back and every loop Rinne always die.But in midsummer Setsuna didn't lose his memory of winter,this time he knew the true of the world so he try to go back to the first loop to save real Rinne.

Wow dude you somehow explained something I couldn't explain in writing - that's so right!
Aug 27, 2018 9:04 AM
Aug 2017
Alantay11 said:
beast_regards said:

Yep I just checked it several days ago and the english version (OF COURSE WITH JAPANNES VOICE) is for all ages, and it's the only english version by now.

BTW VNDB is the best site for information about visual novels (it has any information about any visual novel that has ever existed) :D
Yukito-NIIAug 27, 2018 9:38 AM
Aug 27, 2018 9:55 AM

Jan 2013
Alantay11 said:

It's hard to qualify as many actual eroge has been re-cut to remove the sexual content and be sold to the larger audience, as plot doesn't technically revolve around said sex scenes. And since sex scenes were removed, magic, it's not eroge anymore.
Aug 27, 2018 3:32 PM
Aug 2017
More episode more makes me like "I don't know what's going on anymore" but somehow I still like this anime
Aug 27, 2018 4:48 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Is this a bad ending route...?
I quite liked the show up to this episode.
Both versions of Setsuna seem to have "memories" of the other "route".
I hope the characters get a happy ending eventually. But assuming this show has just 12-13 episodes, I fear they'll leave us hanging in an attempt to get us to buy the source material.

Aug 27, 2018 8:36 PM

Feb 2008
beast_regards said:
Alantay11 said:

It's hard to qualify as many actual eroge has been re-cut to remove the sexual content and be sold to the larger audience, as plot doesn't technically revolve around said sex scenes. And since sex scenes were removed, magic, it's not eroge anymore.

This game is all ages, there is no such a thing as 18+ contents anyway LuL .

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Aug 27, 2018 10:40 PM

May 2014
Time to drop it. I knew it, compressing the lengthy visual novel to 12 eps was just too much.

I'll just enjoy all of it on the VN including the ending

Aug 28, 2018 1:28 AM

Jul 2016
This is like an idea directly came from the writer,I don't really understand what's going on and they barely have connections with the main one.

I expect Island is a light romance mystery,not an anime that's stretched this far

Life is empty without anime

Aug 28, 2018 2:03 AM

Jul 2014
So this being where Setsuna ended up after cryosleep I can understand, but what I don't get is everything else. How far forward has he gone? How did the world end up like that? Why are there apparent reincarnations of Rinne, Sara and Karen in this distant future? And where is the time machine so he can go back and save the original Rinne? Steampunk Rinne seems to just be building the cryosleep pod again, so it likely isn't that, although even that raises the question of who passed that knowledge down so this Rinne could utilise it.

May have to read the visual novel at some point to understand what's actually happening here, as I am very much lost now.
Aug 28, 2018 2:59 AM
Mar 2014
Well, I don't understand this anime at all.
So much going on, like what in the world.
I wonder how this anime going to end?

I'll get the VN soon, that's probably a better option
And Linne voice is cute!
Aug 28, 2018 4:17 AM
Jul 2018
so this turned into a bootleg city of ember story
Aug 28, 2018 4:21 AM

Jan 2013
Blackbird said:
This game is all ages, there is no such a thing as 18+ contents anyway LuL .

Then there is no excuse for the anime being what it is - confusing.

Atavistic said:
So this being where Setsuna ended up after cryosleep I can understand, but what I don't get is everything else. How far forward has he gone? How did the world end up like that? Why are there apparent reincarnations of Rinne, Sara and Karen in this distant future? And where is the time machine so he can go back and save the original Rinne? Steampunk Rinne seems to just be building the cryosleep pod again, so it likely isn't that, although even that raises the question of who passed that knowledge down so this Rinne could utilise it..

Not to mention...just a top of my head.
From where Setsuna's memories came from if there is no time travel?
From where Setsuna himself came from?
From where second Setsuna came from? (one that died)
Aug 28, 2018 10:43 AM
Apr 2016
A common question that seems to arise is "Why are Rinne, Karen and Sara still there after the time travel?" I remind you that, way back to Episode 2 (I think), Sara told us that the three families periodically name their daughters after the girls from the legend. Even with the apocalypse on them, traditions are traditions. They're different people, probably reincarnated, but still different people.

This also explains why Sara is a different age than Rinne and Karen: she was born earlier in this generation.

And for the one who said that the Ohara should have died with Rinne's passing in E08: Kuon didn't die immediately, she had quite a bit of time to make more heirs.
Aug 28, 2018 9:34 PM

Oct 2008
Wait what?! Am I even watching the same show!?!? lolz
2/5.
Asaka's 2nd new ED was very good!

Aug 28, 2018 10:37 PM

Aug 2013
Damn, thank god this seems like its gonna be 2cour because this shits getting a little crazy?

At first I didnt even know he was in the future until laser guns started going off and the sky turned out to be fake. I thought he somehow went into the past at first given the dirty pauper look everyone had?

How far into the future did he even go? It's gotta be pretty fucking far given that the Island that had like 30 residents on it in the beginning of the show is somehow the last bastion of mankind, and somehow the Island got a bunch of technological advancement and underground living quarters, which somehow got outdated by new tech and people dont know how to fix them anymore...when they were literally just generic elevators and power lines. They have the tech to create laser rifles and digital ceilings, but not electricity or genetically modified food.

It's also far enough along that Rinne was "reincarnated" as were Sara and Karen, who are all at different ages now. It's ALSO far enough along that Rinne is able to build a time machine like its nothing, with blueprints that were passed down through her family through "generations". So I can only guess it's been hundreds of years at minimum.

Now I'm also curious how that time capsule made it back to the past. It's seemingly the basis for what becomes the time machine in this Never Island time period, but clearly both the look and the functions of the two are different. The capsule is a tube with a window that just stops time for whoever is inside of it, and it was probably left on that mountain in the snow anyway since Rinne built the time machine by hand. Which looks like a giant metal pod with a tiny window. So how does the capsule, and really all of the technology in that room on the tropical island make it back in time? Because all of that shit in the room when Setsuna finds it is dirty and old and mossed over like it hadn't been touched in decades.

I want to assume that sending the capsule back was intentional and meant for Setsuna in the event he couldn't change the past. He then sleeps in there till the time machine is invented and gets his memories back and then goes back to try and repeat (and fails because he loses his memory).
Aug 29, 2018 3:34 AM

Nov 2016
What... The... Heck... is happenend in this anime??? Is this just random story? LoL. This is adaptation from VN, I'm curious how the story in VN goes...
Nice to meet you.......
はじめまして。。。。。。。。。
Aug 29, 2018 5:35 AM

Jan 2013
We can theorize all we want, but honestly, if this anime is indeed 12 episodes long it is not going to make any sense whatsoever. What the sense it is going to make in 3 episodes after it introduced an entirely new plot point and the setting after being slow and campy for 8 episodes?
Aug 31, 2018 12:38 PM

Aug 2017
Hahaha. This show is hilarious.

A apocalyptic-type timeline! More pointless lolicon scenes. That does not surprise me. Man, this is so random. The plot progressed but in a bad way. We're near the end, is too late. Right now it's a 1/10.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 1, 2018 7:05 PM

Dec 2016
After the terrible clusterfuck that was last episode, this episode was better, but only because it was almost impossible for it to get any worse.

There are a lot of things left unexplained, but I'm pretty sure that they will explain them later on, so I won't complain about that. The one thing that I don't trust them to explain well is why Rinne, Sara, and Karen look exactly the same as their future counterparts and have the same exact names. I guess it's just going to be explained as "muh prophecy" or coincidence or something retarded like that.

As for Setsuna, it looks like he is in a time loop. This is not at all an original plot scenario, but whatever... I suppose it can still be done well. In this show, however, I don't know if that's actually possible at this point. I am also curious as to how the first, original Setsuna relates to this one, so they better have a good explanation for that.

I wonder if they will really be able to coherently wrap up the series if this is only going to be twelve episodes.

What's the difference?
Sep 2, 2018 10:16 PM

Oct 2014
what the fuck going on lol
Sep 9, 2018 4:17 PM

Nov 2016
In last episodes thread I was still claiming that the story is interesting and now this random shift xD

Really not a good transition.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 10, 2018 12:16 PM

Dec 2014
wait so is this the future… I am like how many times did setsuna go through this loop… in the beginning he said he came from the future… I am like who is setsuna anyway….
Sep 15, 2018 10:46 AM

Sep 2008
I wish it wasn't so rushed. There is a really interesting story here.
Oct 31, 2018 9:37 PM

May 2012
Very different episode than all the ones before, really crazy how this story advanced to be honest.
Dec 31, 2019 1:03 PM

Jun 2017
Well, the anime seems to have done its job well and made people including myself interested in checking out the vn. But boy, the adaptation could have been so much better... It is a shame really.
Jan 24, 2021 8:38 AM

Feb 2018
So yeah, is rhat a Never Island? looks like this is a new time leap
Nov 3, 2022 3:44 AM
May 2019
iliyanski89 said:
I've wrote it last week and i'm gonna write it again. This anime is the biggest fuck up this season. Even after nearly 500 watched shows i find this to be the stupid show i've ever watched. Sorry for the rant guys but please if you are gonna make something do it the right way. Sayonara from me and if you plan to watch this please save your time for something better.

It's the most brilliant piece of fiction ever created.. in the visual novel that is. They seriously bungled the winter arc in the adaptation. I spent 55 hours on the visual novel and 15 hours alone was in the winter arc. The Grisaia Trilogy got a decent adaptation so I don't understand why this couldn't. The anime makes the brilliant VN look like a joke. Well, the first section was adequately adapted but once it got to this point it took a serious nosedive. This needed two cours because the winter arc alone would've needed at least 6 episodes to fully explain properly.
Nov 3, 2022 3:48 AM
May 2019
John_Max said:
Interesting episode i guess but "new timeline"? not sure about that, i think its just the future.
The thing is, according to the episode, the Setsuna here is actually our Setsuna that has waken up in the future, what i don't understand is why there is a Rinne and Karen here? i mean its like everyone is reborn and the whole world have some sort of cycle aspect to it that after some time, same people will reborn?

It's an endless cycle. Each time he jumps 20,000 years he subsequently fails to save the girl. That's the true ending from the VN because the ending for this was anime original.
Nov 3, 2022 3:51 AM
May 2019
Yukito-NII said:
Ok wait guys, there is one thing I don't get - was Setsuna sent to the past or to the future?

Yeah I see how everything is connected, the whole story (I'm good at understanding and connecting stories) even though it was an really unexpected (and quiet good) change of time place and era (like an parallel world) and I really like the steampunky look they've got in there (yeah pretty much steampunk always comes with Dystopia).

Well it's been a while (a long while) since I saw good and one of it's kind (almost, well I bet you couldn't find anything similar to this anime/visual novel) anime like that, I really like the story, the music, the art - well I like everything about it (in my opinion), so I really hope it will continue and I can't wait for the next episode (I think I'm going to purchase the soundtrack and, if available, the DVD as well, and the visual novel (en. Version) cause yah know, yeah.... And really hopefully there will be a manga released (really wanna see something like that - of course I'll buy that too).

And yeah I haven't played the visual novel yet, but I am going to (not gonna play further than the anime continues) - so good luck with it! (really I love this brilliant series - now I must find place for it in my favorites - probably I'll have to purchase MAL membership - wonder why I haven't purchased :D) P.S - I like both steampunk and ocean, so it's quiet a rare coincidence to see such brilliant series - yeah I really like to type :D

Been a few years so did you play the VN?
Nov 3, 2022 4:05 AM
May 2019
sXeblues said:
So, this episode was a complete mindfuck... And, for the first half of it, I really didn’t care for it. But, when Setsuna started to flash back to the island and Rinne we’ve already been following up to this point, I started to have some little hope again. But, it’s still pretty hard to make sense of.

First and foremost, I’d assumed this to be the future. And that Setsuna was found by a future girl named Rinne, and is only now beginning to recall why he was cryogenically frozen and sent to the future; To catch up with technology that could send him back into the past, to undo Rinne proper’s apparent death.

But, Sara showing up, and being so buxom — which coincides with previous Sara’s recollecting her mother having the same appearance — as well as alternate versions of Karen and Rinne, all threw me for a loop. I’d begun to wonder if the syndrome that kills people who are exposed to sunlight, might somehow be connected to these events, based on what the old man had said. And that made me wonder if this was, in fact, the past.

But, based on Setsuna’s own recollection of the former Rinne’s death, we at least know that we’re still following Setsuna proper. And he now seems to believe that he can ‘save the island’ and its people. By which, I think he means, go back in time to save Rinne, and perhaps prevent some catastrophe that entombs the descendants of the island of old, underground in the future.

Long story short: The true ending is that he's been traveling into the future in 20,000 year increments in a repeated loop and he fails every time. Millions of years and he still hasn't saved her. The true ending of the visual novel is kinda depressing, tbh. In the anime he marries Kuon (Rinne) but in the VN he decides to timeskip once again and that's how it ends. There's scratch marks on the inside of the pod that indicate how many times he's done this and boy it's alot. Each time he jumps, everything resets essentially. Summer arc is the past and winter arc is future. Then the world resets (after 40,000 years). It's almost like reincarnation but not exactly. I do know some people prefer the anime ending because at least it's happy. Oh also, he's Rinnè's father. He knocked up Kuon when she was 13 back in the winter arc and then he follows him 20,000 years but for whatever reason she wakes up like 20+ years before him. Crazy. Especially since you can marry your own daughter in the VN with no knowledge of it being your daughter.
Nov 18, 2023 12:41 AM

Dec 2022
At first I was confused and thought it was a new story but then I knew it was the continuation of the last ep.
Dec 3, 2023 9:12 AM
Oct 2014
Damn this is just getting more and more interesting with every episode.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» About the adaptation

TEMPEST_1 - May 10

3 by ptero93 »»
May 10, 1:31 PM

Poll: » Island Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2018

183 by Cyanwasserstoff »»
Jan 15, 11:22 AM

Poll: » Island Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 9, 2018

81 by Miki42 »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:14 AM

Poll: » Island Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2018

67 by Miki42 »»
Dec 3, 2023 9:13 AM

Poll: » Island Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2018

51 by Miki42 »»
Dec 1, 2023 1:27 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.