Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Feb 11, 2018 4:35 PM
Apr 2014
Epicenter said:
Perhaps I didn't pay well enough attention, but did all the other living masters who gave up die in that flood? Or were there none of them in the first place and the world was just the NPCs we've seen?

Shinji disposed of all of them, there's 128 Masters, and obviously not all of them will be featured, so they need to start eliminating them.
Also this is what I mean Rin is lying about not having a servant, she just so happens to be the only surviving former Master.
Feb 11, 2018 4:38 PM
Jan 2018
Epicenter said:
Perhaps I didn't pay well enough attention, but did all the other living masters who gave up die in that flood? Or were there none of them in the first place and the world was just the NPCs we've seen?

Yes, i'm pretty sure a big chunk of the 128 masters are on this floor, but again it's not suprising that they didn't show them, isn't it the fate of the cowards to die offscren ?
Feb 11, 2018 5:00 PM

Jul 2013
I thought this episode was ok overall, I feel the fight between Nero and Drake was really rushed and anticlimactic though, hopefully, the pacing becomes more steady in the future episodes. Nothing really to say about the animation, as it's not to the point that I want to rinse my eyes with bleach. At least Shinji in this series wasn't as bad as he could've been.
โ€จโ€จ

๐Œ๐ฒ ๐ฅ๐ข๐Ÿ๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ๐ง’๐ญ ๐š๐ฌ ๐ ๐ฅ๐š๐ฆ๐จ๐ซ๐จ๐ฎ๐ฌ ๐š๐ฌ ๐ฆ๐ฒ ๐ฐ๐š๐ง๐ญ๐ž๐ ๐ฉ๐จ๐ฌ๐ญ๐ž๐ซ ๐ฆ๐š๐ค๐ž๐ฌ ๐ข๐ญ ๐ฅ๐จ๐จ๐ค ๐ฅ๐ข๐ค๐ž.

โ€จ
Feb 11, 2018 5:07 PM

Nov 2012
Drake1000 said:
Epicenter said:

Shinji disposed of all of them, there's 128 Masters, and obviously not all of them will be featured, so they need to start eliminating them.
Also this is what I mean Rin is lying about not having a servant, she just so happens to be the only surviving former Master.

Oh I saw that, but I didn't interpret it that way. I thought that just meant he was the last master as in they all gave him their servants, not that he killed them. Strange, I thought Shinji's whole thing is that he was trying to build a place for these cowards and losers to live to leave behind something special after he killed two people and didn't want to go up dying for nothing? Why would he have killed everyone? Perhaps I'm extremely ignorant.
Jaywalker.
Feb 11, 2018 5:27 PM
Apr 2014
Epicenter said:
Oh I saw that, but I didn't interpret it that way. I thought that just meant he was the last master as in they all gave him their servants, not that he killed them. Strange, I thought Shinji's whole thing is that he was trying to build a place for these cowards and losers to live to leave behind something special after he killed two people and didn't want to go up dying for nothing? Why would he have killed everyone? Perhaps I'm extremely ignorant.

Because you can never trust Shinji, if they weren't already dead then they're definitely dead after he drowned the entire city to beat Hakuno.
Feb 11, 2018 5:43 PM

Feb 2015
Oh God.

I'm just gonna say that.
Feb 11, 2018 5:59 PM

Nov 2012
Drake1000 said:
Epicenter said:

Because you can never trust Shinji, if they weren't already dead then they're definitely dead after he drowned the entire city to beat Hakuno.

I see, but then why did his servant seem to like him? It seemed like there was some shred of good about him over providing a place for these other people, hmmm.
Jaywalker.
Feb 11, 2018 7:10 PM

Dec 2014
AcelyK said:
3 episodes in so...
Of course a non-ufotable fate/type moon series sucks. No surprise there.
Shaft is trash (someone had to say it) . Other than some forgettable background art the animation is so meh and god don't get me started on how horrible the fight scene choreography is. Leave alone the joke that was the fight against those cameo servants, was Nero vs freaking Drake supposed to be a major fight or something? Lol . You have freaking DRAKE!! USE HER!!! damn! .ufo was flexing on this with freaking archer Vs lancer and lancer Vs saber in the first 2 episodes.... Those aren't even a big deal.
I didn't even think Apocrypha was as bad as people say it is but just each time another studio picks up a fate series I can't help but feel like it's just time to stop....the quality just drops so hard each time.
Fate/grand order's a great game and stuff and it's great the fate series is blowing up and doing well and stuff but mahn...these anime they're dishing out....idk if it's the studio but...so bad

Type-moon should just get a tsukihime remake done and stick to making good adaptations of stay night (even remake the fate route)...they have good stories they have on the sideline. Anime could freaking use a Tsukihime remake, a Mahoyo
(by ufotable please lol)

Stuff like this.. eh

Screw studio shaft. Overrated just because people have only seen like 3 anime from them. Well it's not the first time they've ruined a series I like in an adaptation but whatever.

I understand the low score this show has and all but guys, keeping it one hundred.. I know a lot of people who say this sound like broken records : If you haven't checked out the source material for these type moon series (fate/stay night, mahoyoru, tsukihime Visual novels) you totally should...don't let abismal anime adaptations give you the wrong idea on how good this franchise actually is.
Totally recommend the Kara no kyoukai movies also (and pay attention on that one)

Mahn..shaft...shaft..ugh
At least fate/stay night Heaven's feel 1 was dope (oh wow.. Look at the studio)

Sorry I'm just so sad right now. Had high hopes for this

No, Everything was better than Apocrypha
and the good thing on it just Jeanne and Mordred, nothing more or less
Feb 11, 2018 7:29 PM

Feb 2016
Man, and I thought this can't be worse than Apocrypha. Haizz
โ™ฌ Nothing's gonna change my love for you
You ought to know by now how much I love you
One thing you can be sure of
I'll never ask for more than your love โ™ฌ
Feb 11, 2018 8:39 PM

Jul 2017
Wait a minute... whats this with Drake saying she got bad luck? She's supposed to have EX luck tho

Also that's weird. How is Rin not a master but she still has a command spell

GFL NA: 151141 | FGO NA: 622,135,030
FGO JP: 028,976,814 | Magia Record JP: rzMsBapp

‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
Feb 11, 2018 10:01 PM
Jan 2014
This Episode.

I see That Hakuno is having a lot of flashback.

This seem to be a different timeline but has memories of the previous timeline.

Shinji before he became game master was also. the same stage for 1st boss for fighting drake.

The old clothes he wear same as the game.

This kind of explain why Episode 1 started at the final boss of the game.

that all life will eventually perish and that all living things are trapped in Saแนƒsฤra

Hakuno flashbacked about rin and sakura from the previous timeline.

Rin for some reason doesn't summon Lancer yet.

Well now they going the stage for Archer(Green Tea)

Well One thing I can say there is Time loop involved in this anime. Like How homura goes to different timelines.

Hakuno might have some his memories blurred out. the anime is more like new game+

For The 2nd Half They usually do it 2 anime split.
Choice 1 Fight Lancer
Choice 2 Fight Berserker
redstormerFeb 11, 2018 10:43 PM
Feb 11, 2018 10:28 PM
Jan 2015
lazypigz said:
Wait a minute... whats this with Drake saying she got bad luck? She's supposed to have EX luck tho

She's probably not being completely honest here.
My Queens

Feb 11, 2018 11:45 PM

Jun 2011
Khaos2310 said:
Man, and I thought this can't be worse than Apocrypha. Haizz

Aside from the fight which wasn't that impressive and they should have mentioned the reason why Drake couldn't shoot. What makes it so bad that it's already worse than Apocrypha? I'm genuinely curious. It's only 3 ep in and it at the very least intrigue me far more than Apocrypha ever did.
Feb 11, 2018 11:47 PM
Jul 2014
Apocrypha was at least decent, and had excellent fight choreography. Episode 3 of Umu: The animation...................not so much.

I won't go into the exaggeration that others have gone into here.

For one, the story at least seems mildly interesting given that Nasu is working on it and that it's derived from the the original F/E, but the characters lack the depth that is otherwise characteristic of the Fate series.

I can also tolerate Nero because she already has a character that's been well established by series lore and fandom. She's the sort of character who doesn't need to be more than what she is in order to be entertaining.

I am vastly more concerned by Hakuno Kishinami, however. Time travel aside, his reactions (or lack of them) and 11th hour superpowers can be compared unfavorably to Inaho of Aldnoah Zero. I'm not asking for the reactions standard to characters such as Rito of Toraburu or other such harem series. However, some measure of gravitas or the gravity of a given situation and a clear need to plan would be most welcome; otherwise, Hakuno feels like too much of a blank-slate Marty-Sue hero whose shoes viewers can vicariously place themselves into. This makes Hakuno Kishinami completely unsympathetic as a character. I care more about Nero than I do him.

Then, of course, there's the fight choreography. Put plainly, it's very bad. The Fate series has long relied upon its battles to reinforce the gravitas of the plot and to demonstrate that what is going on is larger than life and significant. This episode's battle simply didn't cut it; it was short, felt second-rate, and worse yet Nero's victory felt like a deus-ex-machina.

First, there's Hakuno's kiss with Nero to transfer mana, which felt patently ridiculous given that she was under better than 70 feet of water and just didn't feel appropriate given the duration of their relationship. There's also the question of how he was even able to get that far without Francis trying to gun him down or otherwise maim him.

Then there's Francis' defeat itself; come now, I get that Francis relies upon treasures, but running out of ammo at that moment felt like a complete cop-out.

The overall effect is that nothing so far has felt like a serious threat; yes, there's the suggestion that this is an alternate universe given that Saver (Buddha) previously curbstomped Nero, but we've no indication of why this matters in the grand scope of things. At least in Extra:CCC BB went batshit insane and literally became the primordial goddess capable of creating universes at will; at least there was the implication of a threat so vast that the hero literally had to "cheat" in order to avoid a referendum of all life that would have wiped mankind from the multiverses.

We've no indication of such a greater scope here, however, and Hakuno's quest to "win" is simply not a driving narrative force.
Feb 11, 2018 11:51 PM
Jul 2014
-Mahesvara said:
lazypigz said:

She's probably not being completely honest here.

She isn't. That much is abundantly clear, if the original Fate/Extra is anything to go by.
Feb 12, 2018 2:13 AM

Oct 2014
So that circle of light is why the Moon Cell couldn't anything about Shinji taking over the first floor.

First they show Hakuno getting killed by Shinji like we saw in the first episode, but then, what are those 3 other deaths? this may imply that the Hakuno we see here died and revived multiple times before until he managed to summon Saber, huh.

Rin did some transformation and defeated those 3 servants by herself? She's definitely plotting something behind Hakuno's back.

Saber vs. Drake fight was underwhelming, it just felt too rushed and Drake running out of ammo was eh?

tfw you feel bad for Shinji.
Feb 12, 2018 2:27 AM
Jun 2017
the fight scene (in the first floor) were just finished in just one episode, with a quick battle between saber and drake. Well anyways its nice that they show the Shinji story of why he remained in the first floor.
Feb 12, 2018 2:28 AM

Sep 2011
Kittens-kun said:
@AcelyK Typical biased Shaft hate.

C'mon man. The guy's exaggerating a lot and the show's not as bad as some are saying but let's not pretend Shaft is trying their hardest here. There's clearly places where they phoned it in for a paycheck.
Feb 12, 2018 2:46 AM

May 2015
Red_Ranger_Wien said:
Kittens-kun said:
@AcelyK Typical biased Shaft hate.

C'mon man. The guy's exaggerating a lot and the show's not as bad as some are saying but let's not pretend Shaft is trying their hardest here. There's clearly places where they phoned it in for a paycheck.

I wasn't really saying that because she shit on this show specifically, (I don't think it's that great either), but because she was shitting on Shaft in general.

Feb 12, 2018 2:46 AM

Dec 2015
I still dont understand a lot of things here, there is a time loop obviously after seeing that dead hakuno a lot of time. Rin got a power? and mana transfer so early ok i guess.

i think the fight scene choreo is underwhelming, i think shaft can do better, i mean the fight scene in monogatari is a lot better, im just dissapointed that a fight between 2 servants just gone like that

i dont know why people bothering about the animation though, i mean in the game shaft did it as well right?

im still interested in the story though, still want to see umu more, and i love fate , so i will still continue watching it no matter what
ExeternaFeb 12, 2018 2:54 AM
Feb 12, 2018 3:01 AM

Sep 2011
Kittens-kun said:
Red_Ranger_Wien said:

I wasn't really saying that because she shit on this show specifically, (I don't think it's that great either), but because she was shitting on Shaft in general.

Okay, fair enough then. Shaft might be not at their peak but they still put out some good shows in the past.
Feb 12, 2018 3:20 AM

Jun 2013
AcelyK said:

My prob with anime aren't their stories. It's how aspects of those stories are executed.

That is also not the studio fault.
For this Nasu wrote the story and wanted it executed this way.
For Apocrypha the guy who wrote the story was director and also executed it the way it wanted.
For Ufotable Nasu didn't said them how to do the story but let them do what they want.

You see the pattern?

And Ufotable is not the only one making great Fate anime. DEEN one is one of my all-time favorites and Apocrypha was really good. Last Encore is so far so good but how it will end up depends on how much Nasu ruined how own story.
Feb 12, 2018 3:29 AM

Aug 2014
BrotherCoa said:

And Ufotable is not the only one making great Fate anime. DEEN one is one of my all-time favorites and Apocrypha was really good. Last Encore is so far so good but how it will end up depends on how much Nasu ruined how own story.

>how much nasu ruined his own story
>DEEN is one of my all time favorites
hmmmmmm
Feb 12, 2018 3:33 AM

Jun 2013
Insertanamehere said:

hmmmmmm

To be fair, DEEN wanted to do original FSN story but Nasu forced them to do Fate route instead and have some 10% of original material in it. And they still have done great in my eyes, that anime made me a fan after all.

But yeah, compared to how Nasu wrote Extra story ( game ) and this... He basically ruined it.
Was it really so hard to try to adapt game storyline and style?
Feb 12, 2018 3:34 AM

Aug 2014
BrotherCoa said:
Insertanamehere said:

hmmmmmm

To be fair, DEEN wanted to do original FSN story but Nasu forced them to do Fate route instead and have some 10% of original material in it. And they still have done great in my eyes, that anime made me a fan after all.

But yeah, compared to how Nasu wrote Extra story ( game ) and this... He basically ruined it.

DEEN ruined F/SN a lot more than this has ruined anything, especially considering this is not an adaptation of Extra.
Feb 12, 2018 3:54 AM

Jul 2017
Insertanamehere said:

DEEN ruined F/SN a lot more than this has ruined anything, especially considering this is not an adaptation of Extra.

I actually like/love DEEN's adaptation despite it's flaws. And this is coming from someone who has played the VN.

Help, I'm hooked into the Fate series (not all) and am obsessed with Shirou x Saber!
Also, forever hoping for a ufotable remake of the Fate route!
Feb 12, 2018 4:38 AM

Apr 2016
That Kiss only that kiss
BRAWLERS
Feb 12, 2018 4:47 AM

Aug 2010
It's only my impression or the Eng subs for episode 3 were terrible compairing to the the subs of the first two episodes?

And yes the Umu counter didn't save them
Feb 12, 2018 4:49 AM

Aug 2009
Insertanamehere said:
BrotherCoa said:

You know, we can finally say that the Fate/zero threads arent the most retarded ones.
Feb 12, 2018 5:17 AM

Oct 2014
NougamiZero said:
It's only my impression or the Eng subs for episode 3 were terrible compairing to the the subs of the first two episodes?

And yes the Umu counter didn't save them

Watch a different fansub.

ssjokg said:
You know, we can finally say that the Fate/zero threads arent the most retarded ones.

Nah, they will always remain the most retarded ones.
Feb 12, 2018 5:31 AM

Feb 2014
It seems that asking for a decent discussion thread about anything related about the Fate series is as likely to happen as total world peace. =/

I'm starting to understand the premise more now, although I won't deny that it's still a tad confusing. The fight between Saber and Drake looked and animated fine, but it was too short for my taste. The upside to this was Hakuno's mana transfer to Saber by kissing her on the lips. Nice... =3

After three episodes, I'd say Extra is as good as Apocrypha. Apocrypha had better animated action, but Extra Saber is more enjoyable than almost the entire cast of Apocrypha at this point, so yeah. ^^;
Feb 12, 2018 5:55 AM

Jul 2016
Well the fight was kinda rushed, wow I'm surprised this shinji is less of an ass than from the psp extra.

Rin is no more a master?!, Nasu what have you done to
Feb 12, 2018 6:29 AM

Sep 2016
Was a decent Episode. I am gonna miss best character AKA Shinji :P

So far an 8. Might go down further though since it's on the edge of a 7 and a 6 too.
Feb 12, 2018 6:33 AM

Jul 2014
Nayout said:
JudoJD said:

Animation is part of execution and I also have to agree Shaft's scenes (especially the fights) are poorly choreographed and animated
Lol you just ended up agreeing with her for blaming the studio
Unless now you wanna say Nasu animated the thing

The only problem is the fight between Drake and Nero, but everything else is perfectly explained in this post
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1705980&show=50#msg54025344

Devil_Slayer said:
wtf with this theme Hakuno have no emotions except hate? you serious here? I know this is supposedly anime original but to alter it to the point where the MC is totally different character than how he is in the game is just ridiculous

Does it really surprise you?
Lenka is nothing like Yuu in the God Eater anime
Sorey in the second season of Zestiria changes a lot compared to the game and I can continue to give examples

I didn't see god eater but what is so different about Sorey? they just gave him the power to fix everything unlike the game so doesn't need to kill everyone he comes across

Hakuno is just straight up different character
Feb 12, 2018 6:44 AM

Feb 2013
The fight was cool.

Ranxomare said:
for me, the kiss was the best!! kekeke

Yeah, for me too.
Feb 12, 2018 7:12 AM
Jan 2018
People trashtalking Nasu are the best.
Feb 12, 2018 7:21 AM

Aug 2009
Devil_Slayer said:
Nayout said:

The only problem is the fight between Drake and Nero, but everything else is perfectly explained in this post
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1705980&show=50#msg54025344

Does it really surprise you?
Lenka is nothing like Yuu in the God Eater anime
Sorey in the second season of Zestiria changes a lot compared to the game and I can continue to give examples

I didn't see god eater but what is so different about Sorey? they just gave him the power to fix everything unlike the game so doesn't need to kill everyone he comes across

Hakuno is just straight up different character
ofc he is.

He went through countless deaths.Of his own. Honestly it is good that added something new to him.

The always positive mc that suffers from amnesia is getting really tiring.

Feb 12, 2018 8:15 AM
Aug 2015
i haven't played the game(apparently, it's original, so it doesn't even matter), and after the mess that apocrypha was i guess my expectations were low enough to enjoy extra. im kinda sad they killed off Drake so fast, i really liked her and Nero in fgo.

even though im generally not that mad at the show, the monogatari-type neck tilts and visuals just set me off so much, and im really struggling to decide if Hakuno or Sieg iis the dullest protagonist, but for some reason i could not hate Shinji in this? also, the story is a bit confusing so far, but i guess i just gotta wait.
Feb 12, 2018 9:22 AM

Sep 2010
riiiiight...this really looks like a low-budget anime that's trying to distract you from the fact that it cannot afford to look decent by adding weird unnatural poses/movements

still don't really care for the characters - none of them seem relatable yet

we'll see how this show progresses, but for now it's the weakest Fate series (in my opinion)
Feb 12, 2018 9:28 AM

Mar 2016
Is it my impression or is Saber always saying "UMU"? And what the hell is UMU?

A fine episode. Compared to the last one was kinda weak.
I was expecting to know more about Rider; she had a cool look and a pretty relatable behaviour and was also expecting a more technical and longer fight.
First time I cared about Shinji. That was cool.
Rin finally did something I really admired.
The kiss was a little bit early in the series I would say; but bring memories of Stay/Night (when Rin and Saber... ( อก° อœส– อก°) )
The MC is not some shit character that gets worst every route he appears.

Overall, 6+/10 episode.

(Seems is going to be the best Fate series since Fate/Zero)
azertz99Feb 12, 2018 9:32 AM
Feb 12, 2018 10:18 AM

Mar 2015
Oh fuck off here I was so hyped for best girl Drake and she dies in episode 3 LMAO

Also no umu counter 0/10
Feb 12, 2018 10:25 AM

Jul 2015
I'm surprised: Shinji isnt an arsehole in this series.
When francis called Wild hunt I half expected that Eredin from Witcherr 3 will show up, oh well.
Feb 12, 2018 10:31 AM

Oct 2014
NEETazertyY said:
Is it my impression or is Saber always saying "UMU"? And what the hell is UMU?

A catchphrase. she uses it as a yes, yep, indeed, etc.
Feb 12, 2018 12:34 PM

Mar 2012
Wow that was just bad. They animation was really below average and the pacing is away too fast. Also, I don’t see how this could work for anime onlies with the way they shafted Drake.
And why the hell did Shinji flood the city he was trying to protect even though Drake’s ship is flying!!?
They can't be out of time and money already.....Oh it's shaft of course they are
Feb 12, 2018 12:37 PM

Apr 2016
NEETazertyY said:
And what the hell is UMU?

Basically it's a meme.
Feb 12, 2018 12:59 PM
Mar 2016
Man this Rin is much hotter than the previous Rin of the fate franchise, I wonder if we gonna see her in her underwear , panty shot and in a bikini any tym soon?
Feb 12, 2018 1:43 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Mirai said:
Oh fuck off here I was so hyped for best girl Drake and she dies in episode 3 LMAO

Also no umu counter 0/10

i had the umu counter, you just picked the wrong fansub lel
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Feb 12, 2018 1:45 PM

Mar 2016
Shayon said:
A catchphrase. she uses it as a yes, yep, indeed, etc.
Swagernator said:
Basically it's a meme.
I see. Thank you two.
Feb 12, 2018 2:59 PM

Sep 2016
Getting Apocrypha discussion threads PTSD, here we go again, people blaming the studio (A-1 and now Shaft) for this "trainwreck" lmao. ufo fags and fanboys

Back on topic, good episode, i felt a bit of sympathy for shinji and was happy to see Drake in action (even tho i dont have her XD) but still.

One thing is for sure, The BD's for this are going to look amazing, Shaft can do wonders when they go back fix shit up>> Prime example is the monogatari series.

The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Feb 12, 2018 3:00 PM

Sep 2016
If people want to add me on Fate Grand Order i posted the ID's on my profile page :D
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

119 by bl3nk_anime »»
Apr 23, 12:55 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2018

221 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Apr 14, 6:10 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2018

63 by SomeDudeOverHere »»
Apr 12, 10:40 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra Last Encore Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2018

72 by Selleri_UmU »»
Dec 30, 2023 6:40 PM

Poll: » Fate/Extra: Last Encore Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2018

60 by Apreggi »»
Dec 12, 2023 8:03 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.