Forum Settings
Forums

Winners of 72nd Mainichi Film Awards Announced

New
Jan 20, 2018 10:07 AM

Mar 2013

This year's winners of the 72nd Mainichi Film Awards were announced on Thursday by the Mainichi Shimbun and Sports Nippon Shimbun.

Complex x Complex, a 25-minute animated short by Miyuki Fukuda, won the award for the Best Animation Film. It was produced in 2015 and centers around a female student who has an obsession with armpit hair. The film was screened in North America at the New York Japan CineFest event on June 2 last year.

The Noburou Oofuji award for creative expression has been given to Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta (Lu Over the Wall), an animated film directed by Masaaki Yuasa produced by studio Science SARU. The film was screened in Japanese theaters on May 19, 2017 and GKids has licensed the film for North American distribution.

The award ceremony will be held at Muza Kawasaki Symphony Hall in Kawasaki, Kanagawa on February 15.

72nd Mainichi Film Award winners
Best Film: Hanagatami
Excellence Film: Aa, Kouya
Best Animation Film: Complex x Complex
Noburou Oofuji Award: Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta
Foreign Film Best One Award: Watashi wa Daniel Blake

Best Director: Tomita Katsuya (Bangkok Nites)
Best Screenplay: Ishii Yuya (Yozora wa Itsudemo Saikou Mitsudo no Aoiro da)
Best Actor: Masaki Suda (Aa, Kouya)
Best Actress: Masami Nagasawa (Sanpo Suru Shinyakusha)
Best Supporting Actor: Koji Yakusho (Sandome no Satsujin)
Best Supporting Actress: Rena Tanaka (Osanago Warera ni Umare)

Best Cinematography: Kamakari Youichi (Yozora wa Itsudemo Saikou Mitsudo no Aoiro da)
Best Art Direction: Takeuchi Kouichi (Hanagatami)
Best Film Score: SOI48, Young-G, Surakai Gentimuton (Bangkok Nites)
Best Sound Recording: Katou Hirokazu, Keigo Takasuga (Yozora wa Itsudemo Saikou Mitsudo no Aoiro da)

Source: Eiga Natalie
Sakana-sanJan 20, 2018 10:08 AM
Jan 20, 2018 10:11 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Thats .... definitly not what i expected to see winning.

Wat.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 20, 2018 10:18 AM

Apr 2014
> "a female student who has an obsession with armpit hair"

What an actual fuck? What's going on? Is this some troll awarding ceremony?
This kinds of announcement shouldn't be posted on MAL!
Haters always gonna hate.
Jan 20, 2018 10:44 AM
うまぴょい伝説

May 2017
Congratulations to the winners. Complex x Complex reminds me of Dansan Joshi lol.
Jan 20, 2018 11:05 AM

Aug 2017
I haven't watched these movies to judge them, But they do seem weird...atleast their descriptions do.
Jan 20, 2018 11:43 AM

May 2013
Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta was ok but a bit (too) childhish to my taste, it laked of that craziness i like so much about Yuasa Maasaki's work. Anyway good news for him.
Jan 20, 2018 1:35 PM

Feb 2015
. It was produced in 2015 and centers around a female student who has an obsession with armpit hair.

I'm getting more and more interested in how Japs thinks now.
Jan 20, 2018 1:41 PM

Aug 2016
my god what a shame
Jan 20, 2018 1:55 PM
Nov 2017
I am so out of touch. I don't know a single title. I'm not sure what to check out.

Armpit hair it is I guess. Congrats on the winners though, that is big.
Jan 20, 2018 2:02 PM

Mar 2016
Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta = Kimi no Nawa + Totoro => Loli Mermaid x High School DJ romance
Jan 20, 2018 2:47 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Heard nothing but good about Lu Over the Wall. Seems like good even controversial winners.
Jan 21, 2018 8:20 AM

Jun 2016
I've never heard of those movies and people which won, so now I'm curious. Lmao.

"Maybe he's trying to take a shit, but the shit just won't come out."
Captain Levi, 2014
(/^-^)/☆♪♪☆\(^0^\)
Jan 21, 2018 8:06 PM

Sep 2011
I mean, well i guess a Yuasa film still won but man did his other movie deserve a win way more

what the actual fuck is that other movie though, the trailer for it looks abysmal too, not even trying to be salty it looks like it was made on newgrounds

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 21, 2018 8:39 PM

Apr 2014
JizzyHitler said:
I mean, well i guess a Yuasa film still won but man did his other movie deserve a win way more

what the actual fuck is that other movie though, the trailer for it looks abysmal too, not even trying to be salty it looks like it was made on newgrounds
What an actual fuck did I just watched? I know Japan likes it hairy but that is worst than the other!
That's just a preview but it's already gross! The animation style was been even worst than Polygon Pictures animation!
So this how Nippon thinks now huh? Or the full film had something really good that it made that film to win an award?
Haters always gonna hate.

More topics from this board

» "Oshi no Ko" Season 2 Reveals Supporting Cast Pair, Opening Theme, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

12 by Rhae »»
2 hours ago

» Science SARU Produces New 'Ghost in the Shell' TV Anime for 2026 ( 1 2 )

Vindstot - May 25

50 by ProudElitist »»
3 hours ago

» TOHO Strengthens Animation Division with Acquisition of Science SARU

Vindstot - May 24

13 by uncleqrow »»
5 hours ago

» 'Mashle' Anime Sequel Announced

Nioxys - Yesterday

19 by Alpha-Nine »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Hikaru ga Shinda Natsu' Gets Anime Adaptation

DatRandomDude - May 23

23 by thebrentinator24 »»
Yesterday, 11:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.