Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 13, 2018 9:43 PM

Jun 2013
Indeed, this has a lot of EVA references, especially Asuka´s personality and scenarios of mecha battles (one seems too similar to Zeruel on episode 19 of NGE)

Armisrael
The fate of Destruction▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ Deviant
is also the joy of Rebirth ▬ ▬▬Beast
Twtr
Arael
Jan 13, 2018 9:48 PM

Oct 2017
JohnTron said:
I don't just have a feeling of seeing this before... never mind, I've seen it before - we've all seen it before. A typical show for TRIGGER, however, A1 can't hold up to TRIGGER's seemingly ADHD animation style; the results are a headache.
The unoriginality here is stagnating, Zoids meets an Evangelion Rebuild copycat.
I'm fed up of seeing Beta-males in anime.
I'm fed up of seemingly strong female leads with no purpose - nice plugsuits, it seems like it's all we're going to get. Japan doesn't seem to elevate female leads for being female leads, mentally, but rather physically. (I lean pretty Right politically so this isn't some Leftist jargon, these are my actual thoughts.)
So many tropes, so many unoriginal tropes. It's a wonder why anyone get's excited when their work gets put on screen anymore. It's like going to college, literally anyone can accomplish the feat.

Well, Kill la Kill has some of the best female leads, and it's not just the mc, and it's not just the physical strength. Kill la Kill is female lead done right.

Tbh my favourite character in kill la kill is actually Satsuki Kiryuin.

Jan 13, 2018 9:50 PM
Jul 2018
Really enjoyed the first episode! Surprisingly had a few chuckles here and there throughout, actually.

Anyway, I quite enjoy/ed the Sci-Fi setting, the characters (well, only Zero Two for the time being), the animation style, the FranXX/mechas, the male-female relationship aesthetic, et cetera, et cetera.

All in all, I believe I'll continue watching the entirety of it - simply to know where it goes as well as to see if it any Trigger shenanigans happen (oh, I hope so!) and whatnot. ^^;;
Jan 13, 2018 9:53 PM

May 2015
Tropisch said:
Drop. Wimpy male character, overpowered female character, weird robot designs. Tired of seeing these generic things.

How is she over powered?

Jan 13, 2018 9:58 PM

Mar 2014
WeebAndrossi said:
Quality fan-service to filter casuals

See, I thought fan-service invited casuals.
Jan 13, 2018 9:59 PM

Dec 2014
Filthy franxx

Apparently the mechas run on teenage thirst ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

This was kinda decent I guess, although I don't really like the anohana's character designs they all look very bland except 02.
Just̰͙͔͈ͧͣͫͨ́ Mon͓̮͓ͧ̿̅̒͗iͨ̅̇ͤ̑̇͒̚҉̘̪ka͓͕͓̱̯͂͋́͗
Jan 13, 2018 9:59 PM
Dec 2014
Nice finish to the episode. It was quiet the mash up of "diebuster"esque mechs and"Anohana"esque charaqcter designs.
Jan 13, 2018 10:02 PM

Mar 2014
Kittens-kun said:
Tropisch said:
Drop. Wimpy male character, overpowered female character, weird robot designs. Tired of seeing these generic things.

How is she over powered?

Over powered, like overpowering. She was called the 'partner killer,' which says something.

True, there's a lot of stuff we've seen from other works of Trigger (ex-Gainax), but you have to admit there's also a couple twists. And Trigger has this charm with it's animation that never gets old. This is definitely worth continuing.
Jan 13, 2018 10:03 PM

Mar 2016
Ventus_S said:
JohnTron said:
I don't just have a feeling of seeing this before... never mind, I've seen it before - we've all seen it before. A typical show for TRIGGER, however, A1 can't hold up to TRIGGER's seemingly ADHD animation style; the results are a headache.
The unoriginality here is stagnating, Zoids meets an Evangelion Rebuild copycat.
I'm fed up of seeing Beta-males in anime.
I'm fed up of seemingly strong female leads with no purpose - nice plugsuits, it seems like it's all we're going to get. Japan doesn't seem to elevate female leads for being female leads, mentally, but rather physically. (I lean pretty Right politically so this isn't some Leftist jargon, these are my actual thoughts.)
So many tropes, so many unoriginal tropes. It's a wonder why anyone get's excited when their work gets put on screen anymore. It's like going to college, literally anyone can accomplish the feat.

Well, Kill la Kill has some of the best female leads, and it's not just the mc, and it's not just the physical strength. Kill la Kill is female lead done right.

Tbh my favourite character in kill la kill is actually Satsuki Kiryuin.

I don't hate TRIGGER.
Lie until what you want to be true becomes truth. Lie until you can't remember what's a lie and what isn't.  Lie until you aren't lying anymore!
Figures
Jan 13, 2018 10:13 PM

Oct 2010
So many Eva """"""references"""""" and """"""homages"""""", how blatant can you be.
Jan 13, 2018 10:28 PM
Jan 2018
Tropisch said:

>Wimpy male character
MC got some shit in his life totally rekt, did you expect him to jump around screaming with joy?

>overpowered female character
You don't have the rights to complain about "overpowered female characters" while having FATE/Stay Night listed as one of your favorites.

>weird robot designs
Yes, but what about ship-girls, eh?

>Tired of seeing these generic things
Tokyo GhOuL 10/10 BoYs! We have the anime-expert in house! Quickly, hide before he gets angry! j/k though, just don't look in the mirror if you don't want to see 'em
Jan 13, 2018 10:29 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Decent so far. I like the animation, art, and Zero Two, but the mc - not so much. I'm sick of those beta males who all look the same with black/brown hair and bland design. other that that, its good.
Jan 13, 2018 10:32 PM

Mar 2017
Tropisch said:
Says the person who gave Aldnoah.Zero 10/10... s2 a 7/10????
Brandon2149Jan 13, 2018 10:37 PM
Jan 13, 2018 10:55 PM
Jul 2018
Though it won't be very good since A1 is involved and Trigger art design/soundtrack gone, but i was wrong.
Even though the MC is nothing special (for now), but story, art design and soundtrack is great. World building looks great, usual Tigger/Gainax.
Jan 13, 2018 11:03 PM

Feb 2015
People need to learn that Trigger and Gainax ARE NOT THE SAME COMPANY. Many of the same staff yes but not the same.

Also if your expecting Gurren Laggen mk2 forget it. I dont want another depressing mecha show.
Jan 13, 2018 11:26 PM

Aug 2014
Don´t understand how some people thinks this is hard to follow? Quite easy IMO. And must the whole plot vomit over you in the first episode of 24 instead of progress with it? It´s not like it´s the show LOST.

kids...
Jan 13, 2018 11:49 PM

Nov 2012
Damn, this is the first time in awhile in which a first episode of an anime really got me and I know it'll be one of my fav animes.
Jaywalker.
Jan 13, 2018 11:50 PM
Jul 2018
TheServant said:

What proportion? You mean the aspect ratio? I am pretty sure that's only a minute at the beginning.

Ye, ye - aspect ratio, sorry. They changed it few times, as long as the story about birds was mentioned, at the beginning and somewhere around the middle of an episode. Dunno why it catched my eye - looked like going back to reality from deep thinking - and I've never seen it before (or just didn't notice) in other anime
Jan 14, 2018 12:09 AM
May 2014
ShiraishiUta said:
belum nenton sih cuman lait PV nya sama sinopsis kayaknya menarik deh masih sisa 23 episode lagi
What are you trying to pull? Just say out your thought and nobody understand? Gimana sih bro.
Jan 14, 2018 12:12 AM
May 2014
zanquen said:
another one generic shit with a beta-pathetic-shy-shithead-school-boy and forever™alone™demongirl™with-a-dark-past™ searching for a di**. Poor and simplistic graphics as always, ugly character and meha design, stupid and boring fanservice, plot... jeez i have no words. 2/10 so far.
Ano? You need fresh air buddy.
Jan 14, 2018 12:13 AM
Jun 2012
Did nobody notice how godawful the character designs and the writing is?
Jan 14, 2018 12:16 AM

Feb 2017
hesitantly excited at this point. not sure how im gonna like the fanservice but the premise is interesting and i really like the mech design. top notch animation, very refreshing especially after some of the absolute duds we got in the fall (inuyashiki)
Jan 14, 2018 12:20 AM

Apr 2011
Really good first episode. 002 girl is interesting. The franxx robot reminds me of Star Driver. Lets see how it goes.
Jan 14, 2018 12:28 AM

Apr 2015
Wait this is 24 eps? Where was it confirmed?
Jan 14, 2018 12:31 AM

Jan 2016
Has potential. That Zoid got me interested and the fact that they never advertised the other form is a nice surprise.

zanquen said:
another one generic shit with a beta-pathetic-shy-shithead-school-boy and forever™alone™demongirl™with-a-dark-past™ searching for a di**. Poor and simplistic graphics as always, ugly character and meha design, stupid and boring fanservice, plot... jeez i have no words. 2/10 so far.

Considering you're a Jojofag. I'm surprised you just watched a mecha anime.
Jan 14, 2018 12:35 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Yes, yes it´s true, the monsters were cool!!!
The apocalyptic earth seems very attractive!!!
Jan 14, 2018 12:49 AM

Oct 2008
WOW! Simply amazing!
I just watched this show without expecting anything and it left me clapping at the end of the episode!
Trigger did it again! and collaboration with A-1...hmmm I see...
5/5.

Jan 14, 2018 12:50 AM
Apr 2017
Great first episode
This show have a chance becoming aots but we'll see

Hmmmmm I already smell NTR
Jan 14, 2018 12:55 AM

Sep 2016
Swagernator said:
Fucking hell.

This is how true mecha looks like when right studio and right people producing it.

The design of those FranXX is sick.
yeaaa my sweet baby <3 that lovely mecha action they got this production can make this top notch af
Facta Non Verba
Jan 14, 2018 1:09 AM

Aug 2015
Ok I am impressed lol This has eureka 7 feels and the main character is Taki from Kimi no na wa. As long as both of them stay alive till the end, should be a good show.
Jan 14, 2018 1:15 AM

Mar 2015
sneakers-n-cake said:
fairly disappointing. i really don't like the main character. compared to other trigger protagonists, he's so so so very generic in both design, voice, and personality. kind of a shame. still, the last few minutes of the episode were pretty exciting.

im sure he will grow to be a decent character. believe in me who believe in trigger.
Jan 14, 2018 1:23 AM

Oct 2007
Sweanime said:
Don´t understand how some people thinks this is hard to follow? Quite easy IMO. And must the whole plot vomit over you in the first episode of 24 instead of progress with it? It´s not like it´s the show LOST.

kids...

Yeah I was a tad amused reading all those complaints.....

They must be the type of people to watch a movie with their friends and ask who that character is the second he is introduced.
Jan 14, 2018 1:32 AM
Sep 2015
I'm in love with this show. Everyone was overhyping Violet evergarden but I believe this show might turnout to be the anime of the year, I can't believe this, just 2 weeks into 2018 I'm already watching and loving 3 new shows and sequels to shows like Basilisk which was btw totally unexpected, this is gonna be a great year for anime fans.

Jan 14, 2018 1:34 AM
Oct 2011
katsu044 said:
zero two is godlike reminds me of a less crazy Military Anemone

Yeah, she's great :)
Jan 14, 2018 1:38 AM

Jul 2015
gomennasai said:
Kittens-kun said:

The butt grabbing was obviously a joke. No need to triggered.

See my reply above.

I knew someone would be mad about the butt grab. Pervy uncles are not socially acceptable anymore I guess.

It's funny how portrayal of death and gore carry less stigma than grabbing someone's ass these days.
BoiiiiiiiiiiJan 14, 2018 1:52 AM
Jan 14, 2018 1:41 AM

Jun 2011
cool animation & art but the story wasn't anything intresting. It's your typical boys meets girls piloting a mecha which we already have seen countless of tmes. MC is also bland as heck.
Jan 14, 2018 2:44 AM
Apr 2016
Awwwww yeah Gurren Lagann Y'all. Does not even need a commentary section. Self-explanatory.
Re:formed
Jan 14, 2018 3:00 AM

Oct 2017
Negatives:

The first meeting while the woman bathes cliche.
The femme fatale clichee.
Sociological/magical mecha transformation/upgrades.

Positives:

Interesting spin on couples, the ying yang concept.
Beta to alpha story.
Serious non-comedic aspect.
No annoying naruto character.

I think it’s the best first episode of the season so far. I see promise in this anime. I hope it isn’t squandered.
Jan 14, 2018 3:00 AM
Jul 2018
zanquen said:

I couldn’t agree with you more.
Jan 14, 2018 3:12 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
@4WARE i am with you!!!
Jan 14, 2018 3:34 AM
Nov 2016
Damn, I really liked this episode. It has an interesting premise and reminds me of Pacific Rim.

The art style is very reminiscent of Kill La Kill(Trigger is at it again)

Damn, I hope this is a mecha series that is actually good.
Jan 14, 2018 3:40 AM
Sep 2013
I don't mind cliches but this felt very cheesy, which is not the same thing as cliche. Also, that Naomi girl had to die cuz the MC is being an emo fag, which could be alright since it leaves him room for development but I don't know if that is gonna happen with a show like this. Finally, "romances" that starts out feeling so forced like this, without any kind develop first, are so ugh. I suppose since they don't know how long they'll have to develop relationships, this approach could be the better one as long as they give a somewhat satisfying explanation for it later on.

The premise sounds interesting though, kinda reminds me of Evangelion, which is a show I do not like, but who knows, maybe this one might not turn out as bad. *Sigh* there are so few choices for good anime these days, give me my next season of "Hai to Gensou no Grimgar" already.
Jan 14, 2018 3:42 AM

Oct 2013
Krish_Phoenixx said:
I'm in love with this show. Everyone was overhyping Violet evergarden but I believe this show might turnout to be the anime of the year, I can't believe this, just 2 weeks into 2018 I'm already watching and loving 3 new shows and sequels to shows like Basilisk which was btw totally unexpected, this is gonna be a great year for anime fans.

Both were overhyped.
True AOTY is Devilman Crybaby (so far).
Jan 14, 2018 3:57 AM

Jan 2013
>no one has mentioned fiver star stories or dancouga
>barely anyone has mentioned zoids, eureka 7 or star driver

#gottaupdateyourmechaknawledge
CabronJan 14, 2018 4:06 AM
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jan 14, 2018 4:06 AM

Mar 2014
It was an interesting albeit generic start. I'm interested in learning more about the premise, Zero Two, Hiro and the kids' group
Jan 14, 2018 4:22 AM

Jul 2016
This really felt like an Evangelion knockoff - not just because of the mecha genre, but because a lot of things which didn't need to be copied were copied or almost.

The character archetypes - especially the MC and Zero Two - are quite clearly Shinji and Asuka expies. The MC especially is so similar to Shinji, I fail to see where's the innovation here. With all the different male teenage archetypes we have today, why did they have to go with the one which has already been done to death rather than trying something new?

But even when it comes to minor details, the NGE similarities are frankly excessive. The cockpit inside, for example, is a blatant copy of the Evas, from the shape of the seat to the screens around it. And by now, we had plenty of examples of how to do this differently in other mecha anime. Really, this feels less like a "must" of the genre and more like laziness on part of the writers.

I honestly don't have high expectations from this. Maybe the plot will get somehow interesting, but so far, I'd rather re-watch Evangelion TBH.
Jan 14, 2018 4:31 AM

Dec 2015
Decent starter I guess, looking at these other comments it seems like the hype has gotten to some viewers :/

Did not expect the Franxx to start talking O_o
~
Jan 14, 2018 4:46 AM

Sep 2013
What a godtier start
Jan 14, 2018 5:19 AM
Apr 2016
MrNTR said:
I don't mind cliches but this felt very cheesy, which is not the same thing as cliche. Also, that Naomi girl had to die cuz the MC is being an emo fag, which could be alright since it leaves him room for development but I don't know if that is gonna happen with a show like this. Finally, "romances" that starts out feeling so forced like this, without any kind develop first, are so ugh. I suppose since they don't know how long they'll have to develop relationships, this approach could be the better one as long as they give a somewhat satisfying explanation for it later on.

The premise sounds interesting though, kinda reminds me of Evangelion, which is a show I do not like, but who knows, maybe this one might not turn out as bad. *Sigh* there are so few choices for good anime these days, give me my next season of "Hai to Gensou no Grimgar" already.

U stoopid she could not just die, she is going to come back as an enemy for them while absorbed by those Tranxsaurs or what. Do u even fathom, m8? This is a really subtle and obvious story progression tool. Should have already etched it in one's mind.
Re:formed
Jan 14, 2018 5:34 AM

May 2016
Missing the Romance tag.

Seriously this show brings back memory to Star Driver. Can't wait for the next episode!
10/10
Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

331 by otakuanity »»
May 15, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 22 Discussion

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

37 by otakuanity »»
May 15, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 21 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

44 by otakuanity »»
May 15, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

66 by otakuanity »»
May 14, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2018

258 by otakuanity »»
May 14, 3:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.