Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 13, 2018 6:47 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Now this is quite an episode. The setting is quite interesting from what it has shown so far and the story consists of young people who are without freedom but instead have to be pilots to fight for a mysterious enemy.

Zero 2's introduction almost made me laugh a bit. She pops up from the water lewd LOL. I find her character personality rather peculiar yet entertaining to watch so far.

The sci-fi elements seems interesting esecially with the technology. I'm also interested in knowing more about the other characters since they're still so young. The action picked up its momentum in this episode already and so far, I think it's intense.

Stark700Jan 13, 2018 6:57 AM
Jan 13, 2018 7:17 AM
Nov 2012
Quality fan-service to filter casuals; you won't be missed normals.

Never knew robotbutt could be so good
AndrossiaJan 13, 2018 7:25 AM
Jan 13, 2018 8:22 AM
Jul 2014
Look pretty interesting. I hasn't been able to comprehend very much, though, so I think I need to wait for subtitles.
Jan 13, 2018 8:42 AM
Jul 2017
Very interesting , and i really want to know More about Zero . I miss the Trigger Vibes
Jan 13, 2018 9:08 AM
Aug 2017
Episode was meh to me. 002 is obviously the character they put the most effort into the rest felt underwhelming. didn't help that they didn't do much. 002's eccentricities kind of annoyed me. Right now there are no characters that i'm latching onto, hopefully the fights will be good.
Jan 13, 2018 9:26 AM

Apr 2014
holy shit that was the best episode 1 ive seen in this season.

that gainax vibe is real! great characters amazing as fuck sound design. oh man ima be hyped saturdays
Jan 13, 2018 9:28 AM

Mar 2016
that was a pretty solid start

zero two is so pretty. i really like her so far, definitely an interesting character
Jan 13, 2018 9:33 AM

Jan 2015
Seems a bit generic at first. The first fight is over the top as always though, I enjoyed it, looked really good. Also I hope 002 won't be a generic yandere or whatever dere she can be classified as. We have a big cast of characters, I hope she won't get all the focus
Jan 13, 2018 9:47 AM
Sep 2015
A standard episode. If this is directed by Hiroyuki Imaishi then it'll be substandard.
Jan 13, 2018 9:47 AM
Jul 2015
I love the well-balanced cast of male and female characters in this show.

The story, MC, the girls, are all good. I think this show has great potential to be a masterpiece.

I also especially loved the fact that handling them Franxx requires a pair of boy and girl, and when I came to see that scene, I can't help but to think that setting is an intentional act by this Anime's creators to present a big middle finger to all those generic Harem crap shows out there in the market of Animes and LNs.

Who needs Harem crap where only one male gets all the girls' attention when we can have Multiple Couples in our Action Animes, like Darling in the Franxx, and DBZ ?

Anyway, I am gonna give this rating a 10 in the Main Page of this show here at MAL, and a 5 on this thread's Poll. THIS ANIME IS..... A MASTERPIECE !!! XD
CoolitzHubertXVIJan 13, 2018 10:16 AM
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Jan 13, 2018 9:48 AM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Great start. Trigger always knows how start a show and this is no different. I like the designs for the characters and mechs they pilot. Definitely looking forward to see where the story goes as well as exploring these characters.
Jan 13, 2018 9:48 AM

Apr 2016
Fucking hell.

This is how true mecha looks like when right studio and right people producing it.

The design of those FranXX is sick.
Jan 13, 2018 9:49 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
I think I just found best girl of Winter 2018 in the wonderful person that is Zero Two

I can already tell that this show is going to get pretty deep and intense along it's 24 episode run so I gotta brace myself for it all since I'm already liking our two main leads a lot

I'm always up for a good mecha series (I loved the design of the Franxx in this ep) too so I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this show especially because the action is good, the story and world are compelling enough, the visuals are pretty nice and most of all, the music is awesome

I hope that the other pilots get fleshed out more along the way and if they do, then this will be a strong contender for AOTS imo....Great start and I also appreciate the fanservice lol
Jan 13, 2018 9:50 AM

Feb 2017
I think we already know who is going to be best girl of the year for 2018
TrebolzJan 13, 2018 10:02 AM

Jan 13, 2018 9:52 AM

Jan 2015
fairly disappointing. i really don't like the main character. compared to other trigger protagonists, he's so so so very generic in both design, voice, and personality. kind of a shame. still, the last few minutes of the episode were pretty exciting.
Jan 13, 2018 9:53 AM

May 2013
JUST GET IN THE FUCKING FRANXX 016!

Yeah, I liked that, I liked that a loooot
Jan 13, 2018 9:53 AM

Dec 2015
Great first episode. The designs are really cool and the music is amazing. Saturday is going to be awesome this season.
Jan 13, 2018 9:55 AM

Jan 2009
so the heroine 002 is a mix race of human and klaxosaur lol i just finish watching devilman and now this

imaishi once again shows how awesome his battle sakuga are

and we got 1 death already that is so common in mecha genre, RIP naomi
Jan 13, 2018 9:55 AM
Aug 2016
Well, liked it, waiting to see more.

And Hell yeah the mecha got MOUTH
Jan 13, 2018 9:57 AM

Sep 2015
It seems that the rumors about some problems with the production were (partially?) true. First episode looks quite simplistic.

For example, this short scene is just pathetic:

Even so, I will continue watching this. The very first minute got me interested about what's going to come next.
autistic_potatoJan 13, 2018 10:13 AM
Jan 13, 2018 9:58 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
So you knew what you would get with the character PV's, yet some still complain about character ''tropes''.

Best first episode of the season so far, that looked pretty damn awesome and i'm liking Zero Two already.

I have a feeling there's a real big plotline going on here, that's why we got so much info right off the bat that we can't actually work with for now.
Jan 13, 2018 10:00 AM

Jan 2008
More Trigger and I had drop it from the first episode.

But strange enough that the mecha has a mouth and even talks... Feels like old Transformers cartoons.

And good thing that the main male character is spineless fool. Guess we will have many discussion who has less balls, Shinji or him.
Jan 13, 2018 10:03 AM

Sep 2015
GREW said:

But strange enough that the mecha has a mouth and even talks... Feels like old Transformers cartoons.

And good thing that the main male character is spineless fool. Guess we will have many discussion who has less balls, Shinji or him.

It took less than a minute for MC to make his decision about piloting this thing. No one beats Shinji.
Jan 13, 2018 10:04 AM

Sep 2015
DARLING in the FRANXX was pretty good. The protagonist and overall tone is pretty dull, but Lala 2.0 and the concept of girls & boys working together to power a mech has the potential to be very fun. This anime is mixing the best elements of Gurren Lagann & Kill la Kill and putting those ideas into a unique experience. The only things I ask for is better character development and good ecchi in the next episodes.
Jan 13, 2018 10:08 AM
Dec 2014
Pretty good start imo
Jan 13, 2018 10:08 AM

Dec 2014
That was great, I loved it. I'm glad I decided to go in blind to this without watching any of the PV's. XD

Action is awesome as hell, like someone said above, Gainax vibes are real. XD
Mech design is great, the mouth and talking was unexpected on my part.

I love Zero-Two so far, she's a really interesting character.
Not too exposition heavy in the sense nothing was linked together but I like how they're hinting at various things which is excellent since it gives a real sense of mystery and intrigue to the setting. Since this is 2-cour, I feel I can rest easy that things are gonna be eventually brought up and explained.
I'm pretty sure I saw that leader dude stutter as though he was a hologram.

I'm kinda neutral towards the MC for now, he's okay but I'm not too fond of the whole random encounter where the girl just instantly decides our MC is the partner for her but I did like his monologue at the end about how he finally took his own step out of his own free will so that does kind of appease my only gripe to the show.
Jan 13, 2018 10:10 AM

Jul 2012
I guess i just don't share the love for mecha-type anime cause this opening was beyond generic. Like the same-type protagonist and here with the girl in pair and some other pilot pairs, well to be fair it's hard to come up here with something crazy/original. I remember when couple of years Bones were just stamping those mecha-anime and those were the times when i liked their works and then just wanted to question why are they doing it ... Very obvious Trigger's hand in this series so that might be the only thing to keep watching but otherwise it was just another one of those aforementioned.
Jan 13, 2018 10:11 AM

Jan 2015
NGE’s vibes

This is going to be epic, isn’t it?
Jan 13, 2018 10:12 AM

Jan 2008
Aelyn said:

It took less than a minute for MC to make his decision about piloting this thing. No one beats Shinji.

All he did is get in and kissed the girl, didn't do anything and was asleep the whole fight. Shinji was actually awake.

Jan 13, 2018 10:16 AM

Dec 2015
For a second I thought we will not see any robot fight in this episode, but damn, few ending clips are top notch.
Jan 13, 2018 10:17 AM

Apr 2014
GREW said:

lmfao look at the credits its barely any trigger.

Darling in the FranXX committee:
Aniplex
ABC Animation
Lucient Pictures
Tokyo MX
BS11
NBN Movic
Lawson
A-1 Pictures
Jan 13, 2018 10:21 AM

Jun 2015
Pretty great first episode. Art and animations looks nice. Got some good world-building and introductions to some characters. The mecha designs looks cool. Zero Two is a really interesting character. I'm not too fond on the male MC though. His encounter with Zero Two was dumb, but his monologue at the end was nice. I'm looking forward to see more.
Jan 13, 2018 10:25 AM

Jan 2008
moodie said:

Aniplex
ABC Animation
Lucient Pictures
Tokyo MX
BS11
NBN Movic
Lawson
A-1 Pictures

Mecha design? Mecha fight? Enemy design? Effect design like those explosion stars? How about those, remind me of Trigger much.
Jan 13, 2018 10:25 AM

Jun 2014
I think this got off to a pretty decent start. That battle toward the end was over-the-top as expected, and that's what you get from a show with Trigger attached to it. It's nice to see this is a 2 cour show, as they'll have more time to really develop things and flesh things out, which I'm looking forward to.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jan 13, 2018 10:28 AM

Sep 2013
Oh boy... I can already tell I'm probably going to hate this haha
Visually it's great, but the whole male-female co-piloting part ruins so much for me. And the Franxx designs are cool, but the animated faces and the fact that the mechs seem to have breasts... is throwing me off a little bit too.
Looks like it has the potential to be a kind of fun series though. I'll stick out another episode or two
Jan 13, 2018 10:29 AM

Aug 2017
That was pretty fun, I'm not really a fan of either of the main two so far but the animation was great throughout and the action sequence towards the end was superbly directed.
Hopefully it doesn't tank later on like every single original mecha made over the past decade.
Jan 13, 2018 10:32 AM

Sep 2017
THIS IS GREAT! THIS IS WONDERFUL! ANIME IS SAVED! TRIGGER IS SAVING ANIME! IF THIS TURNS TO SHIT IT'S A1'S FAULT!
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 13, 2018 10:35 AM

Nov 2015
GREW said:
moodie said:

Aniplex
ABC Animation
Lucient Pictures
Tokyo MX
BS11
NBN Movic
Lawson
A-1 Pictures

Mecha design? Mecha fight? Enemy design? Effect design like those explosion stars? How about those, remind me of Trigger much.

The mecha designs look like the mechs from star driver. Plus A-1 pictures has a hand it this as much a Trigger so give A-1 some credit here.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jan 13, 2018 10:36 AM

Sep 2015
I just realized that the ending sequence was more beautiful than the entire episode:

GREW said:

All he did is get in and kissed the girl, didn't do anything and was asleep the whole fight. Shinji was actually awake.

Hiro actually said that he took this step willingly. It's in the ED monologue.

So, well, the "winner" is pretty obvious.
Jan 13, 2018 10:37 AM
Jul 2015
The Boy-Girl Pairs piloting those Franxxs require their hearts and minds to be united as one in order for it to Transform, so I'm guessing that since this has 24 episodes, we will get to see some lovey-dovey scenes from other Pilot's own relationships other than the MC-Main Heroine's pairing ? My heart's now gone Kyun-kyun from imagining such a Multiple Couples' romantic scenes lol.
I am someone that would like to watch a Harem Anime with 2 male leads that each gets their own harem company of girls from the main cast. For example, 1st male lead gets a company of 4 girls and 2nd male lead gets 2-3 girls etc.
Jan 13, 2018 10:37 AM

Nov 2015
Dlwuik said:
THIS IS GREAT! THIS IS WONDERFUL! ANIME IS SAVED! TRIGGER IS SAVING ANIME! IF THIS TURNS TO SHIT IT'S A1'S FAULT!

That's dumb. If trigger is saving anime so is A-1 Pictures.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Jan 13, 2018 10:38 AM

Sep 2017
mehmehperson said:
Dlwuik said:

That's dumb. If trigger is saving anime so is A-1 Pictures.

a-1 pictures already saved anime with ergoproxymanga sensei
Edward Elric > your waifu

Jan 13, 2018 10:41 AM
Jun 2016
Kinda generic so far, but looks above average. After earth-chan and tide-chan, we'll fuck gundam-chan.
Jan 13, 2018 10:42 AM

Jul 2015
Really good episode, the general settings and the fell of the episode was interesting and im looking forward to the next. Animation was ok but hope it get better cuz it felt a little weak.
Anyway so far this and Violet are my fav this season.
Jan 13, 2018 10:46 AM

May 2015
mecha with boobies and moves its lips when talking
Jan 13, 2018 10:48 AM

Jan 2008
Aelyn said:

Hiro actually said that he took this step willingly. It's in the ED monologue.

So, well, the "winner" is pretty obvious.

The first episode. We still have many to follow. Like 23. If MAL is right.

But he still has zero idea what he did in the mecha with her or how should fight.
I don't think that their next startup will go 0-100 and will have all fighting skills in the world.
Jan 13, 2018 10:49 AM

May 2015
I didn't expect much from this anime so it turned out to be fine. I have some issues with the build-up of the episode and I can see how everything can go on the trashy path but it has potential too. And I really liked Zero Two.
Jan 13, 2018 10:54 AM

Aug 2016
another one generic shit with a beta-pathetic-shy-shithead-school-boy and forever™alone™demongirl™with-a-dark-past™ searching for a di**. Poor and simplistic graphics as always, ugly character and meha design, stupid and boring fanservice, plot... jeez i have no words. 2/10 so far.
Jan 13, 2018 10:54 AM

Aug 2014
This is some Frankenstein of a show. Lacks identity. Feels like someone tossed a bunch of other mecha into a blender, and didn't down the button long enough. 002 and the Franxx carrying so far.
QuattroVaginasJan 13, 2018 1:07 PM
Sieg Zeon!
Jan 13, 2018 10:55 AM

Dec 2017
Cant wait to watch ittt ! Maybe this will be the 2018 best
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2018

318 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Today, 5:13 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2018

600 by SenseiSempai-san »»
Today, 4:44 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

332 by JIBRIPASCUA »»
May 25, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 22 Discussion

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

37 by otakuanity »»
May 15, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 21 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

44 by otakuanity »»
May 15, 8:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.