Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 1, 2017 4:19 PM

Sep 2015
Hey everyone!

So, I have been planning to watch this for quite a while now... So, people say its a great romance, but how far does it go? Is it only about hints and stuff? or does it actually get somewhere? like... Clannad ?! Probably a bad example, but this is all I can think of right now... :D
How do I signature ? :]
Oct 1, 2017 4:40 PM

Jun 2016
Moved from Anime & Manga Recommendations.
Oct 2, 2017 8:05 PM
Aug 2009
In my experience, people who enjoy Spice and Wolf's romance the most are the ones who like reading between the lines for what's not overtly said, but implied. That is, Spice and Wolf is better the more effort you put into looking past the superficial, and understand what's really going on behind the scenes. There is more in the romantic subtext of Spice and Wolf's than in some mystery shows: the leads are lonely people who need to break down the walls they've erected over their lives, and that can be frustrating to watch and easy to mistake for a typical "go nowhere" romance story, and for typical "May-December" tropes.

So if you just like to turn your mind off, watch some cute scenes and wait for the traditional dramatic romantic payoffs, then it may not do it for you (especially since the anime ends on a note that's underwhelming for people who just want that sort of things). But if you like to look past what's being shown to you to see the unspoken subtext and what's *really* going on between them, you'll probably get a kick and a good series of d'awws out of it. (And you'll probably enjoy the medieval economics stuff more too if you've got that kind of mindset). Just don't go in expecting "Death Note: the medieval economic romcom" or something, this is a muted story that's more about two lonely people coming to appreciate the life they've been avoiding.
BashZeStampeedoOct 2, 2017 8:09 PM
Oct 3, 2017 7:48 PM

Sep 2015
BashZeStampeedo said:
In my experience, people who enjoy Spice and Wolf's romance the most are the ones who like reading between the lines for what's not overtly said, but implied. That is, Spice and Wolf is better the more effort you put into looking past the superficial, and understand what's really going on behind the scenes. There is more in the romantic subtext of Spice and Wolf's than in some mystery shows: the leads are lonely people who need to break down the walls they've erected over their lives, and that can be frustrating to watch and easy to mistake for a typical "go nowhere" romance story, and for typical "May-December" tropes.

So if you just like to turn your mind off, watch some cute scenes and wait for the traditional dramatic romantic payoffs, then it may not do it for you (especially since the anime ends on a note that's underwhelming for people who just want that sort of things). But if you like to look past what's being shown to you to see the unspoken subtext and what's *really* going on between them, you'll probably get a kick and a good series of d'awws out of it. (And you'll probably enjoy the medieval economics stuff more too if you've got that kind of mindset). Just don't go in expecting "Death Note: the medieval economic romcom" or something, this is a muted story that's more about two lonely people coming to appreciate the life they've been avoiding.

Thanks! You gave me a great general idea about whats going on there... I was taking a brake from overly romantic animes, like Golden time, etc... I was just wondering if Spice and Wolf was anywhere similar to something like that... Maybe ill watch it someday, when I take another break from "overly" Romance animes... :D ty
How do I signature ? :]
Aug 17, 2018 2:44 AM
Sep 2017
There is almost no romance in this anime in this anime it is 70% economy, 29.99% dialogs that have no sense and are completely boring, 0.0099999% romance and 0.0000001% music
Aug 17, 2018 2:58 AM

Apr 2016
It goes very far in books.
Mar 6, 2019 12:22 AM

Aug 2017
I just finished season 1 and it goes to hand holding. There were some near kisses and a bunch of flirting otherwise.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Asako - Feb 19, 2008

154 by 0451 »»
Yesterday, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Pokedude97 - Jun 2, 2008

134 by 0451 »»
May 13, 10:55 AM

» DVD-Only Episode and Episode Count

Vince - Mar 25, 2008

28 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 11, 6:22 AM

» Vintage over modernity

JustSomeone15 - Apr 10

33 by animejas »»
May 7, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Feb 14, 2008

189 by 0451 »»
May 6, 10:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.