Forum Settings
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 15, 2017 8:50 AM

May 2014
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just came back from the theater. The movie got very emotional at the end, and had me tearing a bit :') The movie didn't seem too gaming or strategy oriented as the TV series, but it was still very enjoyable. Really liked the Shuvi and Riku pairing and their marriage was phenomenal. And Steph had the stone :o I'm guessing she is a descendant to Corone.

Not gonna lie, I was hoping they'd confirm a 2nd season, but i guess it's somewhat hinted by the characters in the end.
Really loved the theme song "There is a Reason", can't wait for the release!
Jul 15, 2017 12:59 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
How convenient is to live in Japan....;-;
Jul 15, 2017 2:25 PM
May 2014
I hate my life.
Why is anime not that popular in the west?
Jul 16, 2017 4:57 AM

Jan 2017
people who actually watched the fucking movie post here please
Jul 16, 2017 10:48 AM

May 2016
I wonder how long it will take for it to be posted on an anime site. Hope not too long! >.<
Jul 16, 2017 11:54 AM
Feb 2017
For those that read the 6th light novel and watched the movie, were there any major differences between the two?
Jul 18, 2017 10:17 PM
Mar 2015
kikyo1hinamora said:
people who actually watched the fucking movie post here please

But that would defeat the purpose of seeing if it's out yet.
Jul 19, 2017 1:46 AM
Jan 2015
PotatoCannabis said:
I wonder how long it will take for it to be posted on an anime site. Hope not too long! >.<

Generally its not out until a blue ray release. So we could be waiting a few months
Jul 19, 2017 3:05 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Subtilizer said:
PotatoCannabis said:

Generally its not out until a blue ray release. So we could be waiting a few months

Indeed, prepare to wait for another 6 months or so at the very least for it takes a really long time usually(or rather always).
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 19, 2017 5:17 AM
Feb 2017
It was beautiful. Very moving and touching. Epic.
Jul 19, 2017 6:15 AM
Aug 2015
Kuzuda said:
It was beautiful. Very moving and touching. Epic.

Agreed, the short booklet they gave when you enter the theater was also not bad.
Jul 19, 2017 8:20 AM

May 2016
_MushiRock11_ said:
Subtilizer said:

Indeed, prepare to wait for another 6 months or so at the very least for it takes a really long time usually(or rather always).

nooooooooo ;-; It can't be helped though, so I'll just have to wait ahhh
Jul 20, 2017 1:20 AM

Jun 2016
I actually watched the movie. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) "fucking flew to Japan to see it" <true story

Funny thing is I got the little manga-pamphlet thingy but I can`t read it at all. Unfortunately I`m illiterate in Japanese. ;-; I can only speak and understand it fluently.

Movie was great - they go for emotional but with the 2 hour time constraint and time leaps(or maybe these guys are just fast af), it kinda meh-d the emotional ending.

Also to note: I didnt like Shuvi. Felt like a mechanical Shiro.(pretty much what she is)

Jul 20, 2017 8:43 AM
Feb 2017
Inorichi said:
Also to note: I didnt like Shuvi. Felt like a mechanical Shiro.(pretty much what she is)

So you dislike the one with actual character development and personal conflict because she is similar to Shiro? You realize Shiro might as well be a robot with how emotionless she is. The difference is Shiro is a human while Shuvi actually has justification for being the character she is down to the point where it's a key point of the story.
Jul 22, 2017 7:34 AM

Jun 2016
Altair357 said:
Inorichi said:

So you dislike the one with actual character development and personal conflict because she is similar to Shiro? You realize Shiro might as well be a robot with how emotionless she is. The difference is Shiro is a human while Shuvi actually has justification for being the character she is down to the point where it's a key point of the story.

I'll like it more when you explain how a robot develops feelings. Yes I know she's(its) an ex-machina, still doesn't explain how a machine without a human heart somehow develops feelings. In 2 hrs.

I watched the movie again, yesterday, in Ikebukuro. I never actually said I disliked it, I just don't like Shuvi compared to Shiro. Emotionless characters / people, alright, plausible. Robots / Androids with feelings just doesn't make sense.
Jul 22, 2017 5:30 PM
Jul 2017
Inorichi said:
Altair357 said:

I'll like it more when you explain how a robot develops feelings. Yes I know she's(its) an ex-machina, still doesn't explain how a machine without a human heart somehow develops feelings. In 2 hrs.

I watched the movie again, yesterday, in Ikebukuro. I never actually said I disliked it, I just don't like Shuvi compared to Shiro. Emotionless characters / people, alright, plausible. Robots / Androids with feelings just doesn't make sense.

You do know that there's a little time skip right ? it took shuvi more than a year to develop her feelings towards Riku. Before and even after they got married, shuvi didn't understand a thing but she learned it slowly thru riku. The thing is, it wouldn't made sense if she did it on her own, but she was surrounded by those who has it and tho an Ex-Machina, i do think it's not impossible not to mention that she fully understand what 'heart' is right before she died, and the only time she came to realized it and told Riku she loves him which i thought it's very well executed and didn't seem forced or rushed.

We just thought that it's 'impossible' since it never happened yet, but AI nowadays is becoming a common trend and u know as we saw on the movie stuff, Robots developing their own consciousness til it can behave more like humans. Tho it's absurd to believe in it and it may appear stupid, i just thought that it's really possible :)
Just_AruJul 22, 2017 5:54 PM
Jul 22, 2017 9:20 PM

Jun 2016

Just_Aru said:
Inorichi said:

You do know that there's a little time skip right ? it took shuvi more than a year to develop her feelings towards Riku. Before and even after they got married, shuvi didn't understand a thing but she learned it slowly thru riku. The thing is, it wouldn't made sense if she did it on her own, but she was surrounded by those who has it and tho an Ex-Machina, i do think it's not impossible not to mention that she fully understand what 'heart' is right before she died, and the only time she came to realized it and told Riku she loves him which i thought it's very well executed and didn't seem forced or rushed.

We just thought that it's 'impossible' since it never happened yet, but AI nowadays is becoming a common trend and u know as we saw on the movie stuff, Robots developing their own consciousness til it can behave more like humans. Tho it's absurd to believe in it and it may appear stupid, i just thought that it's really possible :)

Just_Aru said:
Inorichi said:

The time leaps were pretty extreme imo and detracted from the entire movie(kinda like SAO leaps but better hidden). I'm not saying I didn't like the movie, I watched it twice, but personally I just can't get the entire android/robot gets human feelings.

Again, I didn't like Shuvi but its not like I hated or disliked her. To me, she was just weird. Movie 8.5/10. Pretty amazing. I thought this was a discussion not a debate :P
Jul 23, 2017 2:32 AM
Jul 2017
Inorichi said:

Just_Aru said:

Just_Aru said:

The time leaps were pretty extreme imo and detracted from the entire movie(kinda like SAO leaps but better hidden). I'm not saying I didn't like the movie, I watched it twice, but personally I just can't get the entire android/robot gets human feelings.

Again, I didn't like Shuvi but its not like I hated or disliked her. To me, she was just weird. Movie 8.5/10. Pretty amazing. I thought this was a discussion not a debate :P

Chill, we're not debating or maybe it appeared that way to you, that's not my intention :) we're good, we're fellow NGNL fan here. Anyway, i actually understand you're point and have no intention of going against it coz we all have our personal opinion and it's not like it's a bad thing.

Probably, you have a point about it being 'extreme', since it happened too fast, tho i didn't really had a problem with it, especially in the novel. She had enough character development and what i liked the most is that she was very well portrayed as an Ex-Machina, which tho slowly developing a 'heart', she remains still and i love their dyanamic :)

Anyway, we hope to have some announcement soon regarding the S2, coz the movie is very well receive right now, being the highest rated film for this year.
Just_AruJul 23, 2017 2:39 AM
Aug 6, 2017 3:33 PM
Feb 2017
Just_Aru said:
Inorichi said:

Chill, we're not debating or maybe it appeared that way to you, that's not my intention :) we're good, we're fellow NGNL fan here. Anyway, i actually understand you're point and have no intention of going against it coz we all have our personal opinion and it's not like it's a bad thing.

Probably, you have a point about it being 'extreme', since it happened too fast, tho i didn't really had a problem with it, especially in the novel. She had enough character development and what i liked the most is that she was very well portrayed as an Ex-Machina, which tho slowly developing a 'heart', she remains still and i love their dyanamic :)

Anyway, we hope to have some announcement soon regarding the S2, coz the movie is very well receive right now, being the highest rated film for this year.
Inorichi said:

Just_Aru said:

Just_Aru said:

Schwi has a soul as implied in volume 7. The Ex-Machina are a race, not just materialistic machines.
Aug 11, 2017 4:51 PM

Jun 2016
Altair357 said:
Just_Aru said:

Inorichi said:

Schwi has a soul as implied in volume 7. The Ex-Machina are a race, not just materialistic machines.

This is the movie discussion, not the light novel discussion. Unfortunately, there is no official English release of the 7th volume yet. I purchased all of them and the 6th was the latest. :P

Whether Shuvi had a soul or not, doesn't change the fact that her personality or thought process of a machine drastically changed to extremely human.
Sep 20, 2017 8:49 AM

Sep 2013
done watching it at my local cinema. I would say it was amazing. A lot of action, good soundtrack and the back story was great. 9.5/10
Sep 21, 2017 9:26 AM

May 2011
tsuki_shiro said:
done watching it at my local cinema. I would say it was amazing. A lot of action, good soundtrack and the back story was great. 9.5/10

Same! It got aired just yesterday and i immediately grabbed my tickets today! I presume you live in south east asia?

I'd give it a solid 10/10. Nothing much to complain there madhouse literally pulled everything they had and poured it all into this piece of fine work.

Loved the theme song by suzuki konomi, things got so emotional when the song played and the ending credit starts to roll.

Shuvi is so lovable! I hope this movie actually brings out more sales in the franchise so that it's possible for another season, i believe the original material is way pass the point where they could've easily adapt another 2 or 3 seasons . But sadly the reception of NGNL isnt' that good in japan it seems, since not much of their merchandises are being sold over the past year..

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Sep 21, 2017 10:41 AM

Sep 2013
Kiev said:
tsuki_shiro said:

Same! It got aired just yesterday and i immediately grabbed my tickets today! I presume you live in south east asia?

I'd give it a solid 10/10. Nothing much to complain there madhouse literally pulled everything they had and poured it all into this piece of fine work.

Loved the theme song by suzuki konomi, things got so emotional when the song played and the ending credit starts to roll.

Shuvi is so lovable! I hope this movie actually brings out more sales in the franchise so that it's possible for another season, i believe the original material is way pass the point where they could've easily adapt another 2 or 3 seasons . But sadly the reception of NGNL isnt' that good in japan it seems, since not much of their merchandises are being sold over the past year..

Yes, from malaysia to be exact. From your point, I agree with you on that.
Sep 22, 2017 7:08 AM
Sep 2017
I can say this movie is quite sad in the end but can't believe they got married...
Akarui_Hikari15Oct 14, 2017 9:59 AM
Oct 2, 2017 5:57 PM
May 2017
Do you have to watch the series to enjoy the movies? I'm asking for a friend.
Oct 4, 2017 1:43 PM
Sep 2017
Are shiro and Sora really reincarnations of Shuvi and Riku? Is that implying that they will have a romantic relationship too? Pls no, I've told ppl that they make fun of incest more than actually serious about it T_T
Oct 5, 2017 6:10 PM
Aug 2017
I liked the movie minus the Loli fan service and romance between Shuvi & Riku
Oct 5, 2017 6:33 PM
Feb 2017
Just watched it at one of the only two showings at my theater. It was an awesome movie that was as good, if not better, than the main show. I really hope they make a season 3, especially after that ending to generate hype around a season three. I love how they set it up as a frame story with the frame being right after season one.
Oct 5, 2017 6:56 PM

Aug 2015
I just saw it during a limited showing at a nearby theater and I loved it! Although it certainly isn't perfect, I immensely enjoyed it. It was everything I wanted and more. Even having seen Your Name, I think this is the movie I have enjoyed the most this year.
Oct 5, 2017 6:58 PM
Jun 2016
LAPX said:
Just watched it at one of the only two showings at my theater. It was an awesome movie that was as good, if not better, than the main show. I really hope they make a season 3, especially after that ending to generate hype around a season three. I love how they set it up as a frame story with the frame being right after season one.

Season 2... I hope for it too! before the movie started for you was the dub actors talking about the movie? I thought the japanese cast was going to be for the sub version. I heard the dub and thought they were showing the wrong version of the movie.
Oct 5, 2017 7:55 PM
Jul 2018
The last parts of the movie made me start crying in a movie theater, fucking hell.
RIP Shwi-
I enjoyed that more than I was expecting to, 10/10 for the time being, might drop it to a 9/10 once I can look at it more objectively (probably not though).
Oct 5, 2017 8:08 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Just got back from the theater. I immensely enjoyed the film. It was emotionally gripping with characters that I found myself caring about almost immediately.

I feel like the relationship between the two developed a lot quicker than I thought. Clearly time had passed between the two throughout the film, but it still felt a tad rushed. I knew coming in that this wouldn't be like the series. The world of Disboard was a vastly different place, before Tet was god.

Really pleased in terms of how the universe was finally expanded here. We got to see more Flugels, we heard an Old Deus, and even got a glimpse at other races that have yet to appear. Most of all, we learned a lot about the Ex Machina. I think the history and races of Disboard are fascinating, and we finally got some light shed on things.

The writing did a great job distinguishing Riku and Schwi from Sora and Shiro, while still retaining some familiarity. Riku's ever growing guilt was palpable and Schwi was such a sweet heart.

Visually this was terrific, even breathtaking at some points. Especially the fight against Jibril. As always the colors of No Game No Life are incredibly vibrant. The backgrounds were also pretty spectacular.The music was really moving too.

Overall I loved this film and I think it's an instant classic. The story didn't feel rushed or awkward and was easy to understand. Most of all, this was emotionally gripping; it really gives you a greater appreciation for the anime and its story. I can't wait to see this again in English dub! 9/10

Aschente!
Oct 5, 2017 9:28 PM

May 2013
eh, not bad, it was okay, what the heck am I saying, I think it was amazing, the show felt really balanced between the character development, the romance, the war, the comedy, there was pretty much no pointless event at all in the movie. I enjoyed every second of it.
Oct 5, 2017 9:49 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
Just watched this movie earliee. I really enjoyed it.
Good stuff after an exam and all the studying.
Oct 5, 2017 9:50 PM

Sep 2014
Just watched this as well. Pretty cool experience overall!
Oct 5, 2017 10:26 PM

Feb 2016
I have to admit, after seeing No Game No Life Zero in theaters, I'm now more interested in the series itself, along with the manga and light novel that comes along with it.

Seeing it in the theaters was actually more entertaining and amusing though. At the theaters No Game No Life Movie was being shown at (This is in the United States) there were interesting moments and hilarious reactions from some of the audiences (Notably during the interview the Dubbed Cast had) Some thought the tickets we bought online was a lie and it would be all dubbed. Everyone cheered it was in Japanese Audio when Riku started talking.

Shuvi though. Whoever wrote the script/translated it definitely made the movie much more hilarious.

Anyhow, plotwise, it sure was a good buildup of a backstory before the main events took place. I would be quite interested to see what happened if Riku did ___ instead of ____ and if Shuvi decided to _____ instead of ______ Kind of like alternative timelines of the scenes that took place

Overall, I enjoyed the movie alot. Will definitely buy the BD release whenever it is announced!
YouTube Channel

-Translator, Small YouTuber. I'm just a weeb like everyone else

Oct 6, 2017 12:09 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Extremely well balanced adaptation that expanded the lore of the NGNL universe.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 6, 2017 3:29 PM

Jul 2012
Watched this in theaters last night, and one of the first things I noticed was how good the soundtrack was. Really looking forward to listening to that when it's out.

The tone of this movie was definitely different compared to the TV series, as was expected. and it was fun to see all the characters' counterparts. I especially enjoyed both Riku's and Schwi's characters, their interactions, and their relationship progression throughout the movie. It was so satisfying to watch their relationship build off of one another as the movie went on :)

I left the theater a bit confused, as I have a hard time keeping myself focused while watching anime sometimes 😅 But the OP from the reddit discussion thread and one other user helped me and a few other people understand the movie better. I'll just leave these two links here if anyone else might've had trouble understanding some plot points: QnA 1 QnA 2

I've read that this movie has been pretty successful, so hopefully we'll get another season of No Game no Life in the future :)
AndoOct 6, 2017 3:46 PM
Oct 6, 2017 8:41 PM

May 2014
Came back AGAIN(6th time) from watching NGNL Zero, but this time in 4DX. Was very fun to watch NGNL in motions as well xD
Oct 7, 2017 5:44 AM
Feb 2017
jeff666p said:
LAPX said:

Season 2... I hope for it too! before the movie started for you was the dub actors talking about the movie? I thought the japanese cast was going to be for the sub version. I heard the dub and thought they were showing the wrong version of the movie.

Yeah same lol. I was pretty sure they would still play the sub, but it was pretty annoying that they did the English cast for that part, after like 2-5 minutes of listening to them talk I just wanted the movie to start.
Oct 7, 2017 7:44 AM

Dec 2011
listening to the english dub cast talk for nearly a half hour was simultaneously one of the most painful and most hillarious experiences of my life. We were ripping on it so hard, i havent laughed that much in a long time.

Anyway for the movie. I thought it was fantastic, and i second what couronne said at the end of the movie. Happy but sad endings always get me, i want my happily ever after riku x schwi. That scene where he just came back from talking to the elves, and schwi starts freaking out, and the following where hes super jacked up, hit really hard.

And no, reincarnation good ends don't count unless they have their original memories, so dont point to sora and shiro.

I thought it was a really nice touch that izuna was tearing up at tets story.

It's been forever since I've watched NGNL and i don't remember much of the specifics. It will be fun(heartbreaking) to go back and rewatch it with this movie under my belt.
Oct 7, 2017 12:13 PM
Jun 2016
LAPX said:
jeff666p said:

Yeah same lol. I was pretty sure they would still play the sub, but it was pretty annoying that they did the English cast for that part, after like 2-5 minutes of listening to them talk I just wanted the movie to start.

Apparently some theaters played the dub instead of the sub.
Oct 8, 2017 2:20 PM
Jul 2017
Although this movie was filled with well-made, emotional,intense and incredible moments, this movie is too wildly different from the series that I stops me from enjoying it as much as I normally would've
Oct 8, 2017 3:23 PM
Oct 2017
Just seen the English dubbed version at the Irvine Spectrum, packed theater!!! As for the movie at first it was not what I expect, thought it was going to be like TV series.

After watching for while I really got into it and really enjoyed it!!! I give it 9/10
Oct 8, 2017 3:30 PM

Sep 2014
Just got back from the theater to watch the Dubbed version loved it although I think since more than likely mostly if not only previous fans of the series bothered to go to see it, it could've done without the recap summary of season 1 and the director and VA commentary was pointless. I came to see the movie not hear people blabber on about how fun it was to make it save that for the extras in the bluray release. I also think that Riku should've married Couronne as it seemed likedto me there was some sort of romantic feelings between them well before Shuvi met him, anyway really hope theres going to be a season 2 because I loved both TV series and the movie.
Oct 8, 2017 4:53 PM

Sep 2016
Animation was stunning and the story had many poignant moments. While I did read the light novels, it had me tearing up a bit at the bittersweet ending. English dub wasn't half bad either! Only one that felt iffy was Corone's. You can really tell they put a lot of effort into this and it paid off judging by the huge success of the movie. I hope Riku and Shuvi are happy with the world Tet made as they live their afterlives in peace. Easy 10/10 for me.
Oct 8, 2017 5:19 PM
Jun 2012
FrickinNormie said:
Although this movie was filled with well-made, emotional,intense and incredible moments, this movie is too wildly different from the series that I stops me from enjoying it as much as I normally would've

Even knowing this was going to be a darker story, I struggled with the shift; especially after the humor at the start. Made me think it was going to be more like the series at first. Speaking of which, even if they didn't come out and say it directly, the ending makes me hopeful for a second season.

Aside from that, I felt the romantic plot came out of nowhere. It just didn't get fleshed out enough to feel natural. Also, I agree the dub was very well done, but I think I would have enjoyed the movie better with subs. Some of the lines felt a little forced to me. They may sound forced in Japanese as well, but I don't notice cause I cannot speak the language...
Oct 8, 2017 6:36 PM

Mar 2012
I just finished watching the movie from one of the few selective theaters today. I quite enjoyed it as the story was quite emotional and darker than I thought it would be. Also, great animation as well as the relationship between Riku and Shuvi.

The long recap summary and voice actor's commentary was unnecessary though.

9/10! I really hope for 2nd season of No Game No Life season.

Credit to Hihanteki
Oct 8, 2017 6:45 PM
Aug 2016
Oh my god! This movie was so amazing. Worth it to take a 2 hour bus to get to the only theatre that aired the movie. I love shuvi so much omggg and the ending got me all teary eyed ;-;
Oct 8, 2017 6:57 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Very fun prequel this was. I liked the Riku and Shuvi's relationship and how quick it establishes itself. Seeing the world how it was before Sora and Shiro ever existed was also very intriguing.

The action was awesome and the production was top notch as expected by studio Madhouse. The ending of course gave me them feels. R.I.P OTP. And if course MH has to tease us with ending the film in present day, seeing Sora and Shiro continue their quest after the events of the TV anime.

Overall loved it and of course I'll be hoping for a second season.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» this movie is boring

Sunproof21 - Sep 28, 2021

42 by JJT1407 »»
Jan 21, 3:38 AM

Poll: » Schwi + Riku > Sora + Shiro

NotaMasterpiev - May 12, 2023

10 by Ionliosite2 »»
Sep 7, 2023 2:28 PM

Poll: » Preferred the movie to the series

Cestlavie_ - Jan 27, 2022

11 by removed-user »»
Aug 3, 2022 3:43 AM

» watch order?

Raulfin - May 26, 2022

18 by solomino »»
May 28, 2022 2:13 PM

» My problem

Immortalbeing - Apr 4, 2022

16 by Blank_BDM »»
Apr 11, 2022 5:11 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.