Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 15, 2013 11:14 AM

Nov 2011
Adramelech said:
Wow, Caska getting raped by testicles. They've drawn the female body really beautiful.

I will give this series a 9 out of 10. And It was not that open-ended at all.

How did Guts escape? Did Casca survive? Did Guts ever confront Griffith again? None of these things are explained. But it's OK, I started on the Manga, and I'm already like 4 chapters in, so I'll eventually find out. The Manga is even way more fucked up and violent than the anime.
Feb 8, 2013 11:06 PM

Dec 2011
neontaster said:
How did Guts escape? Did Casca survive? Did Guts ever confront Griffith again? None of these things are explained. But it's OK, I started on the Manga, and I'm already like 4 chapters in, so I'll eventually find out. The Manga is even way more fucked up and violent than the anime.

For me, it is a perfect ending to this part of the story. I've heard that the rest of the manga adopts a shounen style where Guts fights Apostles, finds companions and gets stronger to fight Femto. That is just really different from this flashback part which tells the story of Griffith and Guts, and I have very little interest in continuing with the rest of the story after the anime. As for Guts, I would assume that Femto simply decided to let him live, be it due to his hatred and that he wants to see Guts suffer further, or as the female demon king said, the harder the sacrifice struggles the more nourishing he will be.

The prologue of the anime has this line, "At least it is true, that man has no control, even over his own will." Which nicely sums up the Eclipse. Griffith's dream of being king was once within reach, yet as fate would have it, now even a simple, inglorious dream of having a normal family with children denies him. Besides if he chose to let go of his dreams, he would be crushed by the guilt of all those lives his ambition has already claimed. Saying that what he did was of his own will is a joke, a choice between everything and nothing is no choice at all.
tsukigariFeb 8, 2013 11:10 PM
Live forever, or die trying
Feb 9, 2013 4:02 PM

May 2012
A great anime! I was sort of nervous after realizing the manga is still going but it was one hell of a ride. Probably had one of the darkest endings I've seen in an anime too. I tried the first two episodes in both sub and dub. Found I liked the dub better. I already bought the Blu Ray movie off of ebay and next I'll be going for the manga.

9/10
Feb 20, 2013 1:42 AM

Jun 2011
after re-watching the anime series *4th time*
Yes the ending leave alot of questions.. all you need to do READ THE MANGA..
i will not spoil any thing but the manga is much BETTER and you'll get all the answers you seek :D + more..
btw: **** griffith :D
Mar 11, 2013 6:24 PM
Oct 2009
lol crazy last few episodes.

i avoided watching this anime for years but really glad i gave it a chance. probably too much raping going on the last few episodes. but i gave this anime a 10 out of 10.

read a few post on here and great point, i would of liked to see how guts escaped. probably a touch less raping would of been nice as well.
Mar 26, 2013 7:56 AM
Jan 2011
neontaster said:
Adramelech said:
Wow, Caska getting raped by testicles. They've drawn the female body really beautiful.

I will give this series a 9 out of 10. And It was not that open-ended at all.

This first episode shows that guts did survive as he has only one arm, and is fighting that huge snake and gets the egg back. You also see his mark that the devils gave him and they show them tormenting him.

Still alot of questions unanswered, hopefully the last movie might finish the story, otherwise i guess ill have to read the manga
Mar 29, 2013 5:27 AM

Feb 2013
I almost dropped this anime at the start, animation quality wasn't great, didn't like the music and it was pretty slow. But the more I watched the more I started to love this show.

I personally loved these last few eps it was very hard to watch all the characters you grew so attached to throughout the series just get ripped apart and eaten. I even felt bad for Corkus and I despised him.

Overall this was a great anime although the ending does leave you wanting more its to bad they never made a second season. I may pick up the manga even though I don't really read manga.

8/10
May 2, 2013 2:28 PM

May 2012
WHAT?!?!!? Haha.. i was so surprised with the ending. Kinda feels the same when Legend of Legendary heroes ended.. and all I said was "that was it?!?!?".. anyway, i need to read the manga now.. its really frustrating..But it is still a great watch.. it is interesting and great..
rebelakumaMay 2, 2013 2:33 PM
May 11, 2013 9:47 AM

Oct 2010
This show is a flawed masterpiece. Some pacing issues early on and semi-forgivable low quality art and animation keep it at a 9 instead of a 10 for me.

I don't think I've ever wanted to see a character kill another as much as I wanna see Guts kill Griffith.
MegatonMay 12, 2013 1:55 AM
May 24, 2013 10:34 AM

Dec 2008
Could that really be called raped? I swear Casca looked like she was enjoying it. Although I REALLY love Guts, this anime wasn't as epic as I thought it would be. 7/10 from me.

Sent with Mal Updater
May 24, 2013 10:44 AM

Jun 2009
Villetta_Nu said:
Could that really be called raped? I swear Casca looked like she was enjoying it. Although I REALLY love Guts, this anime wasn't as epic as I thought it would be. 7/10 from me.

Sent with Mal Updater

Since you clearly don't have a problem with reading manga, I advise you to jump on that version. But, only if you do it from the beginning. I mean, I loved this anime but the manga is a completely different beast and quite a bit was cut out.

And, yeah, it was rape. It's infinitely more clear in the manga.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 28, 2013 10:29 PM

May 2013
This was definitely an memorable ending to this adaptation to Berserk. While it sucks that this ended on a cliffhanger, I am glad that it didn't continue beyond the Golden Age arc.

9/10 for this show.
Armageddon was yesterday, today we have a problem.
Jun 4, 2013 3:51 PM

Mar 2013
Villetta_Nu said:

Sent with Mal Updater

I think she was passed out

3nvy said:
that eoten be eatin the pizza pi

Does anybody know a way that a body could get away?
Jun 5, 2013 4:34 AM
Sep 2012
20 freaking minutes of something really predictable; side characters dying?
Really? The whole griffith losing his soul wasn't executed very well, and I just don't feel Gutt's "anger", so much for BERSERK. Even cutting his arm was so stretched it felt nothing, it didn't even feel like something he HAD to do to go after whatever it was he was gonna do.

2/5 for this ending, and 6/10 for the anime overall.
Jun 5, 2013 3:08 PM

Mar 2013
You thought the ending of Berserk was predictable?

You're warped.

3nvy said:

Jun 5, 2013 3:21 PM
Sep 2012
I swear it.

I knew all would die

But it's not like I'm proud; it wasn't hard at all, the prologue of the story gave it away.
Same for that Behelit thingy.

Only thing I didn't expect was that...no I called everything
Jun 7, 2013 9:16 AM

Mar 2013
HurricaneSweet said:
I swear it.

I knew all would die

But it's not like I'm proud; it wasn't hard at all, the prologue of the story gave it away.
Same for that Behelit thingy.

Only thing I didn't expect was that...no I called everything

aha.

Well, get to those movies and manga then!

3nvy said:

Jun 7, 2013 9:18 AM
Sep 2012
I finished the first movie, much better :P
Jun 8, 2013 8:23 PM

Sep 2011
Cliffhanger yo.

9/10
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Jun 10, 2013 2:13 PM

Jan 2012
I am ok with this ending

after watching all 25 episodes i give this anime 8/10

the action, art, sound,killing - almost everything was good.

Now time to Read the Manga.

Jun 11, 2013 3:07 PM

Oct 2010
I don't even know what to think. I was forced to go to the gym and reflect on this last episode, contemplating whether I liked it or not.

On the one hand, I'm a huge fan of horror, and I'm completely fine with the cast that I have grown to love being killed off providing it is done right, which Berserk does. Like it or not, this is a ballsy ending and is about as controversial as NGE's.

The problem is that it just... doesn't end. It finishes with Guts screaming as he watches the women he has grown to love being raped by someone who was once his best friend. After having returned to the first episode, there's just too many details left out, many of them having already been mentioned in this thread.

Overall, it's not the ideal ending, but it isn't as bad as the majority of people claim it to be. I'm still undecided on whether to give it an 8 or a 9, but I'm leaning more towards the latter as I can't recall being as drawn in to an anime as I was with Berserk.

Oh, and LOL at Griffith. What an asshole *adds him to favourites*.
Jun 28, 2013 3:32 AM
Jul 2018
Wow. That was an incredible ending.
I'm amazed how connected I was with the characters, I didn't even notice! There's no way I can't read the manga now. Honestly, I wasn't really into this at all until the last few episodes made a fan out of me.

I can catch up with the dreamcast game if I read the manga, too. Excellent.
Jun 30, 2013 2:02 AM

Mar 2012
The anime did leave a lot of stuff from the manga out but it was still pretty great. Dat ending though, idk why they left out how he escaped, they should've at least made some ovas. Overall i'd give it a 9/10, would've been a 10/10 even with all the stuff left out if the ending wasn't such a huge cliffhanger.
Jul 7, 2013 11:42 AM
Hot Stuff

Mar 2012
Actually the first episode was really the final episode.
Jul 28, 2013 1:12 PM

Jul 2012
Why such a cruel ending, at first it was like wacthing the lord or the rings and then it turned in an awful gory bloodfest.. well i hope that Guts destroy every single demon in the most cruel way posible and slowly, yes very SLOWLY.
But i gotta say that the tittle is perfect, berserk, that's how i am feeling right now
Jul 30, 2013 7:50 AM

Jul 2013
Well the thing with that is that the manga doesn't actually jump into the arc that the anime cover's so quickly. You get the stuff that the episode 1 covers and one relatively long bloody that involves one apostle and some other guys (not spoiling)

I guess the anime version does kinda end with a slap in the face and with order to go read the manga.
Aug 5, 2013 9:53 AM

Mar 2013
Such a strong ending.. Easy 10/10
Aug 14, 2013 3:02 PM

May 2012
Well, that was a terrible ending. I hated it. Easily living up to the reputation of being one of the worst of all time! WTF

A terrible ending to an otherwise great series. Hopefully the movie trilogy has a better ending.
Aug 15, 2013 2:12 AM

May 2012
Absolutely repulsive ending. I feel sick just thinking about it.
This isn't even Mass Effect 3 or Evangelion levels bad, IT'S JUST BAD

"Oh, you want the full story? GO READ THE MANGA!!!" I fucking hate this excuse. Adaptations should be able to stand on their own, they shouldn't just be advertisements for the manga >.<
Aug 15, 2013 2:57 AM

Jul 2011
SteampunkDalek said:
Absolutely repulsive ending. I feel sick just thinking about it.
This isn't even Mass Effect 3 or Evangelion levels bad, IT'S JUST BAD

"Oh, you want the full story? GO READ THE MANGA!!!" I fucking hate this excuse. Adaptations should be able to stand on their own, they shouldn't just be advertisements for the manga >.<

I agree with you. I love this anime i really wanted give maximum score, but this ending ruined all.
Aug 30, 2013 9:20 PM

Mar 2012
Perfect ending to a ridiculously awesome show.
Let's go bowling.
Aug 31, 2013 7:50 PM

Jan 2011
The ending, well, the last 3 or so episodes where weird. It was known right away that it had a supernatural side with the first episode, and later with Zodd, but this? It came out of nowhere and felt out of place, like someone was on drugs when making this, everything totally over the top and turning the story completely around. Might not be so bad when it continues like it does in the manga, but with it ending here..

I actually thought, after seeing the first episodes that the Band of the Hawk would only take up some episodes, and the anime would get back to showing what happenend after the first episode, or at least continue the story up to that point (or both, like, ending up at the time of episode 1 at episode 10-15 and continuing the story from there).

They either dragged out the Band of the Hawk story longer than intended, were cut short by several episodes (i'd say 10 at least, maybe even a full second season), or they really wanted to troll the viewers like SteampunkDalek mentioned.

Oh, i also had hoped for Caska to show off a bit more. She's a very skillful fighter, in terms of pure skill probably better than Guts, he's strong and surprisingly fast with his sword, and he can take a beating, but he doesn't have much of a technique besides overpowering everyone. Caska on the other hand was shown to be clever in her fights, like her last fight with Adon - her only real victory. Too bad they made her lose repeadately against Adon.

She also has a penchant to stumble, which seems weird for a fighter for whom positioning is key. It's your (the writers) choice whether to have that girl for her looks only or make her a fleshed out and and believable character, but going for the later and then shying away from giving her the glory she deserves based on the story you made up for her? It's like every time she should have won he thought "wait, she might steal the spotlight from Guts and Griffith, better find a way to make her lose".

I mean, Griffith makes up daring plans without knowing anything about his enemies, he isn't even sure who his enemies are most of the time, yet the work out. And Guts kills a hundred men alone and survives a fight with a demon practically unharmed, but Caska stumbles, is overpowered, dumbfounded, gets easily distracted and so on.

I hope there is more in store for her than that, and i hope they will animate more.
Nov 1, 2013 1:58 PM

Jan 2012
did guts grow a new arm?!? what?
Nov 11, 2013 12:24 PM

Aug 2013
bakapunt said:
did guts grow a new arm?!? what?

No he didn't, he had a shotgun for an arm (it look like it was). Wasn't it the first episode when he shot that nosferatu looking monster?

The ending is painful, I wish there were more episodes, just to complete the circle.
9/10.

The feels of emptiness.

Now for the movie.
Nov 12, 2013 1:08 AM

Jul 2008
And now I fully understand why people love and hate the anime version of this. This show is so very graphic and the manga is ten times more graphic. I highly doubt another series will be made simply due to how graphic the story is, so much was left out of the anime and after what I have seen in the manga....for good reason. Its just too graphic for tv.

But still this was the worst end possible, literally and figuratively.
Nov 17, 2013 1:34 PM

Feb 2012
I've watched this entire series 5 times now. That being said, I ALWAYS dread the final episode as it just makes me depressed that they didn't continue the anime into other story arcs. You would think with the mass majority of the anime audience loving the series, that between 1996 and today, they would've at least produced a new anime season or even some ova's covering more of the story.

The movie's don't count. Why Studio 4°C, Viz MediaL, and NYAV Post sponsored the movie trilogy vs a continuation of the story if beyond me.

You'd think that the directors/producers etc etc of the movies would realize that making a movie of the series wouldn't be as successful as possible. The really only main big complaint about the anime I've read is that certain things weren't carried over from the Manga to the Anime series.

When you are making a movie from a series, there are so many areas in which could cause the success of it to bomb.

One EASY guarantee is that you are definitely going to piss off/alienate a lot of people that loved the anime just because even more content HAS to be cut out to fit in the length of the movies.

In conclusion... I love but hate the 25th anime episode. If it didn't make me dread the last few minutes leading the the ultimate cliffhanger I would easily give it 10/10.

"Go read the manga" isn't a valid answer to defend against the complaints of where the anime left off. I want a better ending in ANIMATED form (other than the 3rd movie in the trilogy that I have, yet I almost dread even watching).

Dec 16, 2013 1:39 AM
Jul 2013
God this series was so effed up just watched the golden age movies and crap both the series and those movies are brutal. I am gonna read the manga past all this crap. Gah this series made me angry and optimistic for the hero character...
Dec 29, 2013 10:02 AM

Jan 2012
I didn't realize how much I loved all the characters until that ending. I'm not an emotional person but my eyes were tearing up and I was filled with rage about that betrayal. Classic anime is just amazing.
Dec 29, 2013 10:52 AM
Oct 2013
Damn, I loved the ending, but it really wasn't finished, I would be fully satisfied with 26 episode instead of something new. would be 10/10 for series, but it isn't finished so it's 9/10
Jan 22, 2014 4:01 PM

Nov 2013
IT DIDN'T FUCKING END. i've never been so pissed off after i finished an anime. Well, off to the manga
Feb 15, 2014 7:26 AM

Apr 2013
Okay, ending wasn't that bad, everything else was, doing that in the 1st episode was pointless, was that a ridiculous attempt at foreshadowing? What you basically get is still picture action of some buff guy slicing people in half, effortlessly (was that supposed to be manly or something?), the worst actual animation I've ever seen, it's not really 'animated' at all. Characters that omit basic logic in their thoughts for the reasons for their actions as the plot requires, plot is mediocre, shitty love triangle thingy, annoying characters & pretty clichéd for me. Too many "evil shounen smiles", complete shitfest. I've read the manga chapters that prequel this & have no intention of picking it up ever again. Remember earlier on in the series when that demon from before had that speech & didn't even move his mouth though I could've sworn the subtitles showed like 3 sentences, lolno.
Feb 22, 2014 12:11 AM

Apr 2009
Berserk ending > Code Geass Season 1 ending.. :p
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 4, 2014 4:56 PM

Jan 2013
Watching this stoned is quite the experience.
Mar 5, 2014 11:10 AM

Aug 2013
I found the rape scene both, confusing and misleading.

Misleading, because the content was clearly about rape, but the imagery not so much, sending a somewhat mixed message.

Caska was utterly out of control and at the mercy of Griffith, who then forcefully had his way with her. Resistance on her part was futile, I guess. Fine, whatever.
And she probably couldn't revoke any physical sensations either, which is why she was moaning, blushing, etc. So far, it's still rape, even if the imagery partially looks like she's into it.

But here's why its confusing to me: At one point it looked like she was putting her arms around him and even kissing him back (her tongue was sticking out of her mouth).
Am I supposed to think that she gave in to him emotionally (based on her past feelings to him)? Or that she eased in to being raped?? Did she lose control of her free will? Am I supposed to be aroused or disgusted by this? Well, it certainly shocked me.

Regardless, this series was one hell of a ride. I'm definitely planning on reading the mangas.
Mar 5, 2014 12:24 PM

Jun 2009
The scene is supposed to disturb you and give you a variety of mixed emotions. Apparently it worked. Also, I highly recommend reading the manga from the beginning. There is an entire arc the anime never adapted before the Golden Age arc and there is even a lot of content in this arc that the anime didn't cover. Also, the Eclipse is much more detailed/graphic there.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 5, 2014 9:18 PM

Aug 2013
Thanks, I will do that.
Apr 7, 2014 1:53 PM

Aug 2013
That ending dammit. I hate Griffith even more now. I rate 8/10 I felt sad seeing Casca like that..
Apr 7, 2014 8:30 PM

Jun 2009
LuckyDMojo said:
That ending dammit. I hate Griffith even more now. I rate 8/10 I felt sad seeing Casca like that..

I'm sure the events in the "real" ending of this arc that the TV series didn't cover will make you even more sad, then.

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 13, 2014 10:46 AM

Nov 2013
Friendlysoul said:

That was it???
What is wrong with that ending!? Its all messed up...
At least it didn't have a [non] ending like Claymore where they completely deviate from the manga...
Interested in Japanese dance songs? See this thread: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=702085
Apr 15, 2014 12:48 PM

Jan 2013
Don't tell me, I'm the only one in here who thinks the ending from this excellent show was great?!

BEST CLIFFHANGER EVER.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Berserk Golden Age Sequel

18927 - Apr 21

22 by eaten-apple »»
Apr 22, 4:15 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

76 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 12, 10:02 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

78 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 11, 11:23 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

82 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 11, 10:43 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zell182 - Aug 5, 2009

87 by RaphaOtakuBr »»
Apr 11, 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.