Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Mar 20, 2017 1:15 PM

Jun 2011
Message to all of you fans, what is there to like about Holo? She is unlikeable because of her immature, sassy, flirty demeanor. Stop belittling people for not liking her! It makes sense to not like her because of her behaviors! What about a more easy-going lead character? Those characters are much better than an annoying little 14-year-old girl like Holo!

--------------------------------
Mod Note:

Thread Locked for not adhering to Anime Discussion Rules 2.d(ranting/blog).

Rant/blog style threads do not create meaningful discussion, rather, it just creates a back and forth argument between users who agree or disagree with the op. In turn, this can create further violations within posts.

In accordance with the board specific rules please remember to follow the Site Guidelines as well to further prevent violations.
dipItFooDec 22, 2020 8:35 PM
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 20, 2017 1:22 PM

Apr 2014
you dont like holo ur trash mate
A stupid thread deserves a stupid answer!
Mar 20, 2017 1:27 PM

Jun 2011
Prince said:

I am not!:( I said not to belittle people, and you disobeyed me, you meanie! Go rub some Cecily King in your face!XD
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Mar 20, 2017 1:35 PM

Apr 2014
pinkarray said:
Prince said:

I am not!:( I said not to belittle people, and you disobeyed me, you meanie! Go rub some Cecily King in your face!XD

Sounds illegal man.
A stupid thread deserves a stupid answer!
Mar 20, 2017 1:37 PM

Sep 2015
you have bad taste and you should feel bad. stop being jelly

Mar 20, 2017 1:43 PM

Feb 2016
First of all: Not everybody needs to like Holo.I really like Holo but I don't judge anyone who doesn't like her.If pinkarray don't Holo,it's her own taste.Everyone has their own taste and don't need to like the same thing.
I think Holo is a pretty smart character and even more realistic than ofter female characters.I wouldn't say Holo is that overrated.Maybe a lot of people love her but that's their own thing.

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Mar 20, 2017 1:46 PM

Jun 2011
Nigami_Shin said:

How is that bad taste for not liking a character for being a brat? Why should I feel bad for not liking her? She's not real, she's just a character someone made up in their head. I'm a writer, I know what I'm doing! And they say don't go too far with flaws.

Even if I'm critical, some of the movies I like are ones that other people like and could be considered classics.

Also, I'm not jealous. I didn't develop feelings for any of the character. You need to go rub some Cecily King in your face too, she's a much sweeter character than most characters. Also, go watch All Dogs go To Heaven and The Rescuers, the little girls in there are examples of truly likeable characters!

Mar 20, 2017 1:47 PM

Jul 2012
All the OP has done is tell us they are a seriously dysfunctional human being.
Mar 20, 2017 1:49 PM
Mar 20, 2017 1:53 PM

Jun 2011
-Asuka said:
First of all: Not everybody needs to like Holo.I really like Holo but I don't judge anyone who doesn't like her.If pinkarray don't Holo,it's her own taste.Everyone has their own taste and don't need to like the same thing.
I think Holo is a pretty smart character and even more realistic than ofter female characters.I wouldn't say Holo is that overrated.Maybe a lot of people love her but that's their own thing.

Asuka has a point. These people need therapy if they think everybody should like what they like. That's like not liking someone for their skin color. You guys don't make any sense and it really makes me mad when you speak those kind of words. They need to learn to see things from other peoples' perspectives.

I like my characters easy-going and righteous. I wonder if these people are anti-disney.

Mar 20, 2017 1:57 PM
Aug 2014
Im turning your troll thread into a holo appreciation thread, ha
Mar 20, 2017 2:00 PM

Jun 2011
AholePony said:
All the OP has done is tell us they are a seriously dysfunctional human being.

Two wrongs may not make a right but I don't understand how people just belittle others for not liking certain characters. They started this argument in the first place. All I did was discuss my rant on Holo without trying to be mean and people are not taking me seriously when I obviously dislike her for a good reason. Am I being impulsive? I was just saying "Look, go watch Road to Avonlea or something, they have a more likeable cast of characters". that's what I meant by rub Cecily King in your face.

Mar 20, 2017 2:01 PM

Jun 2011
leNerd said:

I am close on calling the moderators for your inappropriate behaviors. Derailing the thread is not acceptable.

Mar 20, 2017 2:02 PM

Sep 2015
pinkarray said:
Nigami_Shin said:

How is that bad taste for not liking a character for being a brat? Why should I feel bad for not liking her? She's not real, she's just a character someone made up in their head. I'm a writer, I know what I'm doing! And they say don't go too far with flaws.

Even if I'm critical, some of the movies I like are ones that other people like and could be considered classics.

Also, I'm not jealous. I didn't develop feelings for any of the character. You need to go rub some Cecily King in your face too, she's a much sweeter character than most characters. Also, go watch All Dogs go To Heaven and The Rescuers, the little girls in there are examples of truly likeable characters!

so you are a writer? how many stories have you published on wattpad? :^)

sorry i don't watch canadian tv series or movies. i know those two films and both of them were pretty bad - i wouldn't consider them classics

btw holo isn't a brat. she's a strong independent woman and truly an inspiration

Mar 20, 2017 2:25 PM

Apr 2016
There is no point in arguing about something when the troll don't even read original source the novels.

low quality bait missy.
Mar 20, 2017 2:35 PM
Aug 2014
pinkarray said:
leNerd said:

I am close on calling the moderators for your inappropriate behaviors. Derailing the thread is not acceptable.

Mar 20, 2017 2:53 PM

Jun 2011
Swagernator said:
There is no point in arguing about something when the troll don't even read original source the novels.

low quality bait missy.

First of all, how was I being a troll for trying to right a wrong and showing you examples of a much better character? Aren't you the one who attacked me for not liking Asuka? Don't come here and talk crap to me if you don't respect opinions.
Angry_Anime_NerdMar 20, 2017 3:03 PM

Mar 20, 2017 3:57 PM

Jun 2011
Hello, everyone, I know you do not deserve my bluntness but please refrain from disrespecting other people for having opinions different from yours. Going out into the real world defending your favorite characters in an illogical way would not get you friends, It would just make people hate you. You need to start learning more about empathy and respect. No one wants to be around somebody who attacks people for reasons that don't make sense. Maybe if you be around more people, it would get you to understand about how good it is to be around people who are friendly.

@nigami_Shin

I don't write stories on wattpad, I write them on fanfiction though.

https://www.fanfiction.net/~pinkarray
Angry_Anime_NerdMar 20, 2017 4:36 PM

Mar 20, 2017 6:20 PM

Aug 2013
Yeah I agree op she does seem overrated to me. My anime waifu is a better goddess, better magical girlfriend, has a better personality, way better voice, nicer hair and way better fashion sense than her.
Mar 21, 2017 8:54 PM
Aug 2009
If you don't want to understand what makes Holo "likable" just because she's superficially unlikable, then congrats, you've utterly missed the point. You're not supposed to "like" characters for their bad and superficial qualities, you're supposed to come to like them once you've seen enough of the story to know why they're the way they are, and can sympathize with their attempts to overcome their problems.

And if you just can't sympathize with Holo despite knowing where she's coming from, then come back to this story after you've suffered a bout of bad depression or loneliness, and have struggled to talk to people again. You'll come to quickly understand her likability once you can empathize with her desire to put on a mask so that others will like her.
Apr 3, 2017 1:57 AM
Jan 2015
pinkarray said:
her immature, sassy, flirty demeanor.

That sounds a lot like my type of girl ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )
Apple, apple, apple. *nom*
Apr 3, 2017 2:00 AM
Jan 2015
pinkarray said:
I wonder if these people are anti-disney.

Disney is horrible
Apr 9, 2017 6:53 PM
Feb 2017
Because a plain cute and gentle girl is boring.

Horo is flirty, sassy, but shes still gentle and adorable inside. I would love to find a gf like her. Not a single moment would be dull.

A relationship need some spice to not die out. If everything is cute, you never fight, you treat each other always gently and by the book, it gets boring.

If you dont like her, i would say its because of her mindgames. Some people probably are annoyed by the fact that they cant straight up understand what horo is trying to say, and cant join the mindgame "plays" without feeling offended when they are played for a fool. Shes challenging, but this is what makes her intriguing.

Horo is the best, the rest is shallow kawaii shite. ;)
Apr 13, 2017 11:36 AM

Jun 2011
Basileus1 said:
Because a plain cute and gentle girl is boring.

Horo is flirty, sassy, but shes still gentle and adorable inside. I would love to find a gf like her. Not a single moment would be dull.

A relationship need some spice to not die out. If everything is cute, you never fight, you treat each other always gently and by the book, it gets boring.

If you dont like her, i would say its because of her mindgames. Some people probably are annoyed by the fact that they cant straight up understand what horo is trying to say, and cant join the mindgame "plays" without feeling offended when they are played for a fool. Shes challenging, but this is what makes her intriguing.

Horo is the best, the rest is shallow kawaii shite. ;)

I don't know what type of characters you are talking about. But in my case, I'm not talking about the goody two shoes type characters such as Erin from Kemono no Shoujo Erin. It is not that big of a deal if a character is a bit cloying or saccharine, yes, it's not the best thing you can do with a character, but it doesn't make them annoying. I don't like goody-goodies neither and nor the people that are always calm because those kind of people, of course, may not stand up to fights or anything.

And a character can be ugly and still be gentle people. They don't have to be cutesy.

A character can still be entirely laid-back, chill, or easy-going without coming across as too calm or patient. Characters like Vash the Stampede are good example of characters like that, yes, he's too much of a pacifist, but he's still my husbando.

I see you've also seen Fullmetal Alchemist, I have seen some of that and I can say Ed seems to be a good example of a character who's not too annoying and thus, likeable.

Apr 20, 2017 9:53 AM
Aug 2009
pinkarray said:

I don't like goody-goodies.

Vash the Stampede [is] still my husbando.

I'm surprised you're able to reconcile that weird dichotomy, yet can't bring yourself to look past Holo's equally obnoxious mask and empathize with her. But hey, it's always nice to find another fellow fan of the humanoid typhoon, so you do you :)
Apr 20, 2017 10:37 AM

Feb 2015
I appreciate your opinion, but it was unnecessary to make the thread for the sake of baiting.
Apr 20, 2017 3:34 PM

Jun 2011
Eru said:
I appreciate your opinion, but it was unnecessary to make the thread for the sake of baiting.

I am not baiting. I just wanted to say that I think she is overrated for her bad behaviors.

Apr 20, 2017 3:38 PM

Jul 2015
she is liked by the same people who like rin senjouhara Hitagi asuka ...
i mean holo is a good character for people who like tsunderish/immature female characters

to be honest i dont see anything good about that kind of characters
Apr 20, 2017 3:43 PM

Mar 2016
tragedydesu said:
she is liked by the same people who like rin senjouhara Hitagi asuka ...
i mean holo is a good character for people who like tsunderish/immature female characters

to be honest i dont see anything good about that kind of characters

Holo is not even a tsundere .
Also Holo is love .
Apr 23, 2017 9:41 PM
Jan 2015
What is likeable about Artemis, Selene or Hecate? Demeter and the Kore? Athena or Eris? What's with the theriomorphic representation?

alnussApr 23, 2017 9:50 PM
May 11, 2017 3:54 AM

Sep 2013
She carried this series 100%. With her wolfy teeth.
May 18, 2017 7:50 AM

May 2017
Remember that Holo acts this way in part because she thinks Lawrence likes her this way. There are quite a few times in the anime experience where she is far from immature, she put her life and freedom on the line quite a few times for the sake of Lawrence and his dream of owning a shop. She is at many times cunning & insightful, and she has shown a few incredible bouts of patience and determination.

Holo is Holo, and I won't deny you your right to dislike her, but she has plenty of strong and endearing qualities that make her like-able.

Jun 2, 2017 7:16 PM
Mar 2017
Nigami_Shin said:
Good gif but momo isn't a loli boi XD
Jun 8, 2017 3:09 AM
Jan 2015
pinkarray said:
I think she is overrated for her bad behaviors.

Bad behaviors are the best type of behaviors ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )
Jul 16, 2017 5:24 AM
Dec 2016
The one who hate HOLO never know how to watch anime ,try watch masamune kun no revenge , you will hate the heroine but in time after some episode you will know what happen , and you will comw to like here , just like spice and wolf , you dont understand the anime if you dont like her , anime make every character is loveable if you know what they have undergone into , what make him/her into like that
Jul 16, 2017 5:27 AM
Dec 2016
Idk why everyone say holo is immature , what mature then ? The boring type who easily going with mc and do everything he ask ? The one who alwasy trust and support the MC and stay by him , that is immature only a child will do that ?
Jul 16, 2017 5:31 AM
Dec 2016
[quote=RavenArc]Idk why everyone say holo is immature , what mature then ? The boring type who easily going with mc and do everything he ask ? The one who alwasy trust and support the MC and stay by him , that is immature only a child will do that. Holo is mature as she can be , she stay by lawrence side when he get tricked , she abbadon her pride in the forest, sometime she like childish to entertain lawrence and not boring
Jul 16, 2017 7:46 AM

Jun 2011
RavenArc said:
Idk why everyone say holo is immature , what mature then ? The boring type who easily going with mc and do everything he ask ? The one who alwasy trust and support the MC and stay by him , that is immature only a child will do that ?

I'm not saying Holo should be a docile, passive type of character. I don't like those characters. Nor should she be a character who almost never shows flaws. Everyone has their shadow side. I don't see anything wrong with being a trusting, supportive, loyal, naive character. She probably won't be that naive considering that she's over a hundred years old.

Since Holo and Lawrence aren't brother and sister, I think Holo could've been a lot nicer to him. She could've had a few flaws.

Jul 24, 2017 9:14 AM
Aug 2009
pinkarray said:
I think Holo could've been a lot nicer to him.

She was trusting, supportive, and loyal for basically their entire journey. It was her flaws that often made it difficult to tell (as Lawrence repeatedly realizes).

pinkarray said:
She could've had a few flaws.

Proud, vindictive, possessive, fully capable of being petty, unable to open her heart or show weakness, a desire to be important conflicting with a desire to not be idolized, and that's just the first ones I recall. She even somewhat overcomes some of those flaws and gains new ones.

It seems a bit much to overlook all of that just because you dislike the character.
Jul 24, 2017 9:28 AM

Jul 2017
LOL weak bait bro.
Holo is the best waifu's material out there.
Jul 24, 2017 9:34 AM

Apr 2015
pinkarray said:
Message to all of you fans, what is there to like about Holo? She is unlikeable because of her immature, sassy, flirty demeanor. Stop belittling people for not liking her! It makes sense to not like her because of her behaviors! What about a more easy-going lead character? Those characters are much better than an annoying little 14-year-old girl like Holo!

Holo ain't fourteen tho.

You have Chii from Chobits in your favorite characters who's basically a soulless perfect woman meant to be otaku bait. Holo is for those with sophisticated taste only.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Jul 24, 2017 5:37 PM

Jun 2011
CatSoul said:
pinkarray said:

Holo ain't fourteen tho.

You have Chii from Chobits in your favorite characters who's basically a soulless perfect woman meant to be otaku bait. Holo is for those with sophisticated taste only.

I haven't seen Chobits since I was 13 years old and I think Chii did exhibit weird behavior towards the end. I don't think that makes her perfect nor saccharine. She's just an android, she's probably programmed to be a completely nice girl, I don't think that's a big deal. She's not a human being. And I don't think whoever was writing her was baiting. Holo is not for people who don't like characters who exhibit immature behaviors. She's for whoever can handle that type of behavior.

EThMAS said:
LOL weak bait bro.
Holo is the best waifu's material out there.

I don't see how calling some fictional character overrated is bait. Bait is when you're posting a topic just to deliberately annoy other people. This is just an honest opinion that I'm giving about a cartoon, calling a cartoon overrated and saying why you dislike it is still an opinion, not a fact. I don't see why there's people flaming my topic because they don't agree with my opinion.

Jul 24, 2017 6:49 PM

Feb 2010

or you just have different taste?

that ok we get it you prefer potted plant to women who can fend for themselves.

"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jul 24, 2017 7:43 PM

Jun 2011
hazerddex said:

or you just have different taste?

that ok we get it you prefer potted plant to women who can fend for themselves.

Just have different tastes.

I didn't say anything about not liking Holo for being self-sufficent. I don't have a problem with self-sufficent characters as long as they don't act too mature for their age or too self-righteous. And I don't like most passive characters. And assertiveness can be either good or bad, as long as it doesn't come off as blunt (which in the case, Holo does), I'm okay with that.

Jul 24, 2017 8:08 PM

Nov 2015
War, war never changes...

Jul 31, 2017 7:33 PM
Mar 2017
I named my dog "Holo The WiseWolf"
Dislike my waifu and I break yo Nico Nico Kneecaps
Jul 31, 2017 7:38 PM

Feb 2016
Holo is a likable character because she actually isn't childish as you say.

Been a while since I've seen it, but Holo, from my memory, was very proud, and liked to joke around. She was very intelligent, but never felt the need to flaunt that around, and instead found fun in teasing Lawrence.

She's the type of female character that won't take shit from anybody, and that alone is already a great step in the right direction for a likable female character, as she can't be simply pushed into the corner with all those other generic blobs that can only rely on the "cool male MC."

If you don't like her as a character, that's up to you, but people aren't wrong when they call her a good character, because she is. There's a difference between bad and good characters, and characters that you yourself find to be good or bad.
I wish not to have a signature, as I find them incredibly obtrusive. As such, imagine something flashy.
Jul 31, 2017 8:02 PM

Jun 2011
awesomedude20 said:

Been a while since I've seen it, but Holo, from my memory, was very proud, and liked to joke around. She was very intelligent, but never felt the need to flaunt that around, and instead found fun in teasing Lawrence.

She's the type of female character that won't take shit from anybody, and that alone is already a great step in the right direction for a likable female character, as she can't be simply pushed into the corner with all those other generic blobs that can only rely on the "cool male MC."

If you don't like her as a character, that's up to you, but people aren't wrong when they call her a good character, because she is. There's a difference between bad and good characters, and characters that you yourself find to be good or bad.

I'm not saying they should change their opinions but I find Holo too unlikeable imo because she is mischievous like a youth when she's over a hundred years old, she should put away most of that mischief. She also is easy to anger and is possessive, manipulative, blunt, selfish and bossy.

I don't mind characters who hate injustice but I don't remember, from the little bit I saw, Holo being mean because she saw something rude. I do dislike characters who are so passive that they can't fight the antagonist. They are boring and annoying. Though, I don't like no-nonsense, serious characters because they're too critical.

Jul 31, 2017 8:13 PM

Feb 2016
pinkarray said:
awesomedude20 said:

I'm not saying they should change their opinions but I find Holo too unlikeable imo because she is mischievous like a youth when she's over a hundred years old, she should put away most of that mischief. She also is easy to anger and is possessive, manipulative, blunt, selfish and bossy.

I don't mind characters who hate injustice but I don't remember, from the little bit I saw, Holo being mean because she saw something rude. I do dislike characters who are so passive that they can't fight the antagonist. They are boring and annoying. Though, I don't like no-nonsense, serious characters because they're too critical.

She's mischievous yes, but while she is old in our scale of things, she's a god. Hundreds of years old isn't very old to her. It's quite literally just a sense of scale. She could act like some wise old lady if she felt like it, but she's simply the type to tease and have fun, aka, that mischief. Which, really is simply teasing and prodding at Lawrence, not mischief.

Her blunt, selfish, and bossy side comes from the "wise wolf" part of her name, and it is very clearly announced that she is indeed very wise, it's an episode 1 thing :P Her being wise also drags pride along with it, and that is where those 3 traits come in. BUT, you need to be sure to not confuse genuine bluntness and such, with the simple teasing bluntness. She may be blunt, but she's almost never wrong. she's may be selfish at times, but can be caring at other times. She may be bossy at times, but she does listen to Lawrence just as much, It's a two-way thing.

I wouldn't say she's possessive really, and as for anger, maybe a couple times, but it was never an overwhelming factor from all I could see.
I wish not to have a signature, as I find them incredibly obtrusive. As such, imagine something flashy.
Jul 31, 2017 8:14 PM

Jun 2015
pinkarray said:
She is unlikeable because of her immature, sassy, flirty demeanor.

I think your perception of her is just different from some others. She doesn't come across as immature or flirty to me, I find her funny, witty, and smart. She's a very wise, very old goddess who's taken human-like form and is just having a little fun. It's only natural she'd be a bit sarcastic; humans to her are like children trying to look smart in front of their mom. Her interactions with them are kind and subdued; she doesn't try to talk above humans, rather she tries to fit in with them and joke around with them. I think Holo is very endearing in that regard; "sassy" and "flirty" is simplifying her personality too much.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Asako - Feb 19, 2008

154 by 0451 »»
May 14, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Pokedude97 - Jun 2, 2008

134 by 0451 »»
May 13, 10:55 AM

» DVD-Only Episode and Episode Count

Vince - Mar 25, 2008

28 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 11, 6:22 AM

» Vintage over modernity

JustSomeone15 - Apr 10

33 by animejas »»
May 7, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Feb 14, 2008

189 by 0451 »»
May 6, 10:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.