Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 18, 2010 4:02 PM
Mar 2008
It's like I'm really watching Haibane Renmei without a scrap of subtlety!
Mar 24, 2010 6:51 PM

Jun 2008
It's nice to finally start seeing some back story and development from this series. Who would have thought that Felicia's past was so tragic like that. She certainly didn't give any hints that it was.
Mar 27, 2010 11:54 PM

Dec 2008
I liked this episode, it got interested in this series again.
Jul 25, 2010 1:32 PM

Feb 2010
No we finally get som background story.
Dec 1, 2010 2:07 PM

Jun 2009
Awesome episode. We finally got to see some bits about the war.

I didn’t expect Filicia of all persons to have such a tragic past because of the war… And I wonder how was Noël present in there…
So, the mysterious blonde girl is actually named “Iliya” and is a princess. I’m pretty sure that means Rio has some royalty too.

It was a really touching episode, teared up at the end.
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Dec 12, 2010 9:22 PM

Aug 2010
Now I know where the PostTraumaticStressDisordah.jpg is all about.
Jan 30, 2011 10:43 AM

Jul 2009
Awesome episode! That's really.. unexpectable. I hope there will be something like this in the rest of series.

Other episodes is not so bad either. I like this series :3

Anisamar said:
I’m pretty sure that means Rio has some royalty too.

Sure. And that Priest knows something about her.
Jan 14, 2012 8:07 AM
Jul 2009
I like how the anime develops and gives us more background story. Really exciting!
Sep 3, 2012 11:34 PM

Sep 2011
What an intense past. Great episode!
Oct 2, 2012 8:03 AM

Nov 2011
Man, Illena or whatever her name really gets around! She is the core to like everyone's past!

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Oct 15, 2012 7:14 PM

Apr 2012
Best episode so far; it brought some much needed seriousness into the series.

It was also nice to have Felicia's backstory and character fleshed out some more, especially since she's the captain and - as it turns out - the only one to have experienced actual combat (or not, because Noël said she'd 'experienced' it too).

Also, I'm wondering if there'll be even just a little shouji-ai in this, since Filicia and Rio are holding hands on the anime's cover picture, and Rio seems rather concerned for Filicia. If not, well... I'm allowed to dream, right? :3
Jan 27, 2013 3:48 PM

Sep 2011
I like the turn to the more serious theme. Felicia's story was pretty sad :(
But that's just how wars are...

The whole thing that happened in the past brought up some questions in me, hope they answer it all.
For one, the tank in the fort is clearly an older one (from before the apocalypse, the ones in the flashback).
I also remembered that the legend of the city or whatever involved the help of a "spider" for the maidens. So it was probably one of the old/new tanks (they even showed the one at the fort when they were telling the story), wasn't it?
But then what of the winged demon? Was it really an animal like the bone-like thing under the water from ep1? Also, just before the laser was fired (the ones which destroyed the city in the flashback) they showed the windows of a building and we could see birds flying away and one big wing being spread out (or maybe it was just close to the building). Could be a bird-like machine? That doesn't explain the bone-like things though.

Hmm, can't wait to know more, I really hope they won't just leave it like this.
RazielZeroJan 27, 2013 3:53 PM
Jan 28, 2013 2:50 AM
Apr 2012
In addition to your reasoning - please reckon the inversion of the city legend, which the line-crosser from Roman army carried with herself!
(i mean you've already seen the 11th episode, haven't you?)
Jan 28, 2013 10:36 AM

Sep 2011
I didn't, and I have no idea what you are talking about. I think it was made very clear by my comment. I mean I was thinking and guessing the connections of the things I saw so far. I even said that I hope I will get to know the answers to these, and that I hope for more of this serious theme.

But thanks for the spoiler if it was one :/
Feb 22, 2013 1:43 PM

Jan 2013
Best episode yet.
I loved the hug and confessions at the end.
So sweet
May 11, 2013 2:39 AM

Sep 2012
That was a kinda dark past. War and trauma...
Sep 12, 2013 7:29 PM

Dec 2012
Well this was quite a surprising turn in the series. Very thought provoking and bittersweet episode, I especially like what Filicia says at the end.

"And then I realized it. I'm sure there isn't any sort of meaning to this world. But isn't that still wonderful? Because i there isn't one, then you can decide what it is for yourself."
Nov 1, 2013 2:26 PM

Sep 2012
Wonderful episode!
Nov 26, 2013 12:30 PM

Apr 2012
This was easily the best episode of the entire series so far.

That final though as well:
Ratohnhaketon said:
"And then I realized it. I'm sure there isn't any sort of meaning to this world. But isn't that still wonderful? Because if there isn't one, then you can decide what it is for yourself."
Beautiful is all I can use to describe it.

Jun 14, 2014 5:25 PM

May 2012
Pretty impressive episode, quite touching I'd say, well let's see what the special episode have to offer! Up to 7.5!
Jul 23, 2014 6:46 PM

Nov 2012
Still one of my favorite episodes of all time. So powerful!
'Once an Arsenal man, always an Arsenal man.' - Bob Wilson.

Sep 14, 2014 11:07 PM

Sep 2013
Hmm, certainly did not expect that (lol)- The last few minutes was kind of weird though, she suddenly turned absurdist...
May 25, 2015 2:19 AM

Dec 2010
My favorite episode. It alone improves my score with 1. Filicia's line was perfect.
MeritasMay 25, 2015 2:22 AM
Jun 19, 2015 7:35 PM

Apr 2014
Wow what a change of pace.
Heavy stuff, a little war background, and some light shed on the blond haired heroine that keeps showing up in everyones memories
I love their little platoon family

Nov 5, 2015 9:48 AM

Jul 2014
7 episodes in, and finally some characterization for the blonde chick.

2/5
Nov 14, 2015 3:23 AM

Apr 2009
It's starting to get interesting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2016 9:07 AM

Jul 2013
This was too edgy and corny, really bad backstory there to turn the episode 180 degrees. You would feel sympathy and a little character development here and there but I don't, I just don't because it's too forceful for my taste

This is like Haibane Renmei but much worse imo.
Jul 17, 2016 2:21 PM
Feb 2015
"Quelques chose comme Dupont" lmao

Feels good to be French, I love reading all the texts they put that japanese didn't understand when they saw the anime, that I can understand :)
Dec 1, 2016 11:57 PM

Mar 2015
Im not that impressed with Phylicia past.

Where is the SOL and Music?

3.2/5
Dec 5, 2016 5:05 AM

Jun 2013
I found this episode a little cheesy, but I still empathized with Philicia a tiny bit. At least she's not just an archetype now, she's an archetype with PTSD. And the moment where the three girls came to her was cute.

Spookt said:
I'm confused how a trumpet on a noisy, mechanized battlefield is supposed to, um, you know, be heard...

Apparently, the people who are capable of operating and maintaining these big tanks can't even make amateur radio equipment. And so, the bugle is still consistently louder than the human voice. Makes sense to me! /s
LeeTailorDec 5, 2016 5:16 AM
May 7, 2017 6:39 AM

May 2010
Really good episode. Felt Filicia there.
Jul 9, 2017 10:25 PM

Oct 2012
Kinda sad episode, I don't know whether she's really sad about her comrades or her weight

"If there's no meaning, then we can go find one"
That was a really nice word!
"Signature removed"
Jul 19, 2017 4:46 PM

Feb 2012
I'm not that big of a fan of the dramatic irony in the anime. The fact Falicia has had tragic experiences and suffers PTSD from it did nothing to progress the story forward. All we did was learn more about a character we didn't know much about, but already knew we didn't know much about. I also want to point out that it is not a good idea to not talk to other people about your experiences with PTSD. Falicia has a strong support system around her but she is refusing to use it.

"The world has not inherent meaning, but that's pretty wonderful. It means you can find you're own meaning."

This is a logically incoherent statement. It might sound nice, but it really doesn't make sense. How can something that has no meaning subscribe meaning to something else? Even if you argue that it's the perception that subscribes the meaning, you get counted by the point that your perception is inherently meaningless so what it perceives is inherently meaningless.
Nov 2, 2017 6:07 PM

Feb 2012
So there were two war's yes? Was it an uprising of AI spider tanks in the first war or were those also piloted?

So they write using the Latin alphabet on some of the lanterns? This would make sense in dub, but then why do the old tech have Kanji and why do some of the characters have partially if not fully Japanese names?

"Central Orthodox Church"? Isn't that area of Europe Catholic?

Fortress_MaximusNov 16, 2017 4:10 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 25, 2018 3:33 PM
Sep 2015
Am I the only one that didn't enjoy this episode? Filicia is my favorite girl but this episode had a lot of problems.

First of all what is fiesta des lumieres? Mixing French with Spanish sounds so unprofessional. Wtf Japan? Can't you choose between French and Spanish?
The setting is clearly a Spanish village but the names of the characters are French. Talk about absurd.

Also why does the Church believe in ghosts? Because they're in the countryside? That doesn't seem like a good explanation to me.

Lastly what the hell was that face? (Yeah you know what face I was talking about) It scared me, lol.

All in all, I thought this episode was edgy. I like dark shit but as a polyglot I can't take this show seriously.
Aug 25, 2018 3:39 PM
Sep 2015
Strangely enough, I agree with both of you.

Sydbond said:
This was too edgy and corny, really bad backstory there to turn the episode 180 degrees. You would feel sympathy and a little character development here and there but I don't, I just don't because it's too forceful for my taste

This is like Haibane Renmei but much worse imo.

Lord I hated Haibane Renmei and I think I actually tried to watch it twice and I dropped it twice. It was too boring, honestly I don't remember a thing of that show. Yet still people praise it (and also this ep)

Fortress_Maximus said:
So they write using the Latin alphabet on some of the lanterns? This would make sense in dub, but then why do the old tech have Kanji and why do some of the characters have partially if not fully Japanese names?

"Central Orthodox Church"? Isn't that area of Europe Catholic?

I'm done with this show. I can't take it seriously cause we don't know the setting for sure. I mean, they speak Japanese but where the f do they live in? And in what era? Is this about medieval times? Is this anime taking place in the near future after WW3 or something?
I just hope this isn't one of those supposedly 'mysteries' of this anime.
May 4, 2019 11:29 PM

Nov 2013
Wow, this show suddenly got really dark.

Seeing Filicia's lose all her comrades like that was soul-crushing. I could feel her despair right through my monitor.

That dead soldier was some serious nightmare fuel, especially when his mouth started moving...*shudders*

Filicia, Noel, Kanata, and Kureha hugging at the end was so wholesome. Just what I needed after how grim the first half of the episode was.

Amazing episode; easily my favorite one so far.

9/10

Oct 22, 2019 5:47 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Poor Filicia, she seems to be tortured by her hard past
Apr 29, 2021 3:52 AM

Feb 2020
Poor Filicia. :(

SerafosMar 22, 10:30 PM
May 1, 2021 8:01 AM

Aug 2017
Filicia episode was pretty good like Rio episode! I think after this episode the K-ON comparisons slow down a bit. Still the anime should answer most mysteries of the world. At first I thought the world was based during the late 19th century but the war set the world back into the post industrial age.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 26, 2022 8:19 AM

Nov 2017
Indeed, there is no inherent meaning in this world. And that is a wonderful thing because it means the meaning of life is whatever you want it to be.~

An emotional episode, fer sure! Filicia really does have a tragic past and still suffers from PTSD. There's also survivor guilt added in the mix since all her friends and comrades were killed during the war.

Anyway, Filicia deserves a hug!
Oct 24, 2023 8:54 PM

Dec 2022
Daym this episode is deep. The soldier guy kinda scared the faq outta me.
So who or what are they really fighting against?

Jan 19, 9:11 AM

Aug 2018
This thing is fucking dark what the hell, shit went from K-ON to Jinroh in a matter of minutes no transition lmao. Post-Apo is truly the greatest settings, can make a serie go from 0 to an 100 in narrative with no care.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

porkypink - Jan 4, 2010

384 by Ui »»
May 8, 11:31 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Nakei - Feb 1, 2010

118 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 28, 1:52 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Nakei - Jan 18, 2010

160 by H_Molokov »»
Mar 25, 10:15 PM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maximatum99 - Mar 22, 2010

264 by SX6 »»
Jan 17, 11:28 AM

Poll: » So Ra No Wo To Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Feb 22, 2010

140 by NECROMANCER_2003 »»
Jan 6, 2:27 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.