Forum Settings
Forums
Zaregoto Series
Available on Manga Store
New
Feb 6, 2010 8:45 PM

Mar 2009
Only discuss the first book in this thread!

I thought the first book was wonderful. Ii-chan is great, he thinks he's utterly worthless, but in reality, he's a "genius" in his own right. Kunagisa is an exceptional character, she truly is an idiot savant. This book will really change your perspective on the term "genius". And in the end you realize that none of the characters really are geniuses, well at least it shows that "geniuses" aren't that different from you an me. I will warn you, this is a dialogue driven novel. I mean, it's pretty much just dialogue the entire time, with a lot of thinking on Ii-chan's part as well. But, that's not a bad thing, it is written very well, and flows very nicely. The mystery itself is very complex, and in the end you thinks it finished, you are left with questions, but are satisfied. And, if that wasn't enough, he introduces a new character, and completely destroys the whole conclusion, with an even better, more accurate, more satisfying, conclusion with nothing left unanswered. Before this I was already a NisiOisin fan from the few things I had read of his. But, now I'm starting to understand why he's so renowned at such a young age. He truly is a genius....XP Can't wait for the next volume, Del Ray has already announced a release in Jun 2010. And, I'm hoping they don't drop the series like all the other companies releasing Light Novels lately. Urahara Out!!
MrHatandClogsFeb 6, 2010 8:49 PM
Apr 30, 2010 2:47 PM

Aug 2009
This novel needs more attention.

Seriously, I'm just too fan for this whole series. Nishi-oisin's first job, yet the best job he has ever done.
Aug 18, 2010 4:20 PM
Jan 2009
ringoo4 said:
This novel needs more attention.

Seriously, I'm just too fan for this whole series. Nishi-oisin's first job, yet the best job he has ever done.

That. Though I wouldn't say it's his best job. Would have to read (and the hell I want) the Bake novels. But only with the anime I really think Bakemonogatari is better.

Still, I love Kunagisa and Aikawa :3 (what a way to bump in, beating the hell up of the main character XD).
Oct 14, 2013 5:50 PM

Dec 2011
Eh, the sealed room mysteries were honestly easy to figure out, didn't feel like it took a genius. That conclusion was pretty satisfying though
Oct 15, 2013 10:33 PM

Dec 2011
mugimugi said:
Vaonari said:
Eh, the sealed room mysteries were honestly easy to figure out, didn't feel like it took a genius. That conclusion was pretty satisfying though

The first volume is definitely the weakest, not just because of the mystery.

Eh, quick response, I totally thought nobody was going to comment for another year or so.
Yeah, I finished book 2 and that unreliable narrator motif really got me, it outshone book 1 by a mile. Also posting this here since I'd feel lonely if I created a new thread zz
Nov 4, 2013 2:38 AM

Mar 2010
Still reading the first book and I am totally drawn into it.
Dec 22, 2013 7:55 AM

Mar 2010
Just curious as I am reading the earliest edition of the book (Japanese version).
Since this is one of the earliest Nisio works, it seems that he is using unusual usage of katakana to write English borrowed words. Eg: Canvas, Level
So, it is a little hard for a beginner reader like me to fully understand those in first glance reading. Anyway, do the newest edition of the books contains edited wordings or still the same as the early edition?

Btw, I am totally liking Kunagisa though still reading the first book.
Jan 11, 2014 4:09 AM

Mar 2010
20 pages more to finish the kubikiri cycle. Ganbare ore.

Okay. Didn't expect the epilogue to be that way.
It was fucking awesome!
yukaru00Jan 14, 2014 6:22 AM
Oct 30, 2014 4:30 AM
Oct 2011
Just finished vol1 it was a good read imo.The mystery was kinda weak but that epilogue definitely made up for it, just when you thought it was kinda over.

And really this was probably more about characters rather than mystery and sort of an intro, cant wait to read the rest.
Oct 25, 2015 1:20 AM

Sep 2013
I try to buy this book but god, I could only find it at the cheapest price being $42 plus tax and plus shipping and handling which would be like 50 used. New from $109-160. wtf, is this book really that good?
There's no magical spell to save someone's life.
Sep 23, 2016 4:15 AM
Jul 2018
Mystery is a bit weak but the character interactions, monologues, and nisio's writing style makes up for it. Ii chan and smoking hot jun are the most interesting characters.
Jan 17, 2021 7:47 AM

Aug 2014
Feels kinda weird seeing the last time anything was posted here was a decent while ago given that I want to post volume experiences as I go along here. Honestly, the one other thread about any of the volumes isn't even about discussing it as much as it is about just finding the damn volume.
Well, whatever... Even if it's a deserted title in terms of threads posting discussion about the books themselves, I'll just leave it here and wing it from there about the next ones.

Not exactly an amazing first volume, but not something I can call bad. It's alright, some kinda likable characters. Took me an epilogue for a character to sweep me off my feet in terms of personality tho, even if what she was saying in relation to the mystery of the book equally made me question what was the point.
The mystery itself just being all part of the plan from a person who's initial identity may as well be fake going off of Jun's words really makes it feel all the more a meta jab, but the volume doesn't feel as a very fulfilling reading experience because of doing so.

The narrator and protagonist is also the kind of character I don't like reading about, but with the laid character groundwork (through the narrative, themes and character dialogues) for the next books at the sacrifice of this volume generally being more compelling, I might see something I like in him or just have a generally more engaging volume to read even if that fails somewhat. I hope, at least.

Edit: Lol, did not notice another more recent thread(if you can call it that) about this volume. Meh, I read the old translation anyway, not the Vertical release.
Poltergeist18Jan 18, 2021 6:24 AM
Jul 17, 2021 12:31 AM

Jul 2019
I'm approaching the last chapter of the first volume so might as well. So far, it's decent. I do find the set-ups to be lackluster. Characters are just not as intriguing as the main thriller, if there's any.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Dec 20, 2021 10:56 AM

Feb 2016
This is one of the worst things I've ever read. I'm surprised it was allowed to be published.
その目だれの目?
Dec 28, 2021 7:06 AM

May 2012
It is definitely one of the weaker volumes, and it also leaves no proper resolution and is failing as a mystery here and there.

I do remember people complaining about it back then years ago, here and on other sites. Yes, some solutions were really bad or hard to understand and the dialogs/narrator's thoughts were sometimes redundant (in case this was your main issue) - however, that was not the point. Especially if you're familiar with the author's writing. I felt the series was mocking mysteries rather than trying to be like one. Same goes for some of the other books well.

Nisio is a bad writer, but an entertaining one. I like when he's going off on his usual over-the-top tangents. Those can be very amusing at times, yet I also do fully understand why people dislike most of his series though.

Guess it is not your cup of tea, even though you shouldn't judge the whole series after the first book. Book 2 was great. :)
My Rereads | My Favorite Mangaka | Soylent Green

Buy stuff, or buy at least your favorites if you can afford it - Don't be lame.

D W-W&N 🤍

MAL is a far cry from being my main literature site, that's why I won't be doing mere single chapter updates anymore. Manga- aka Baka-Updates + 2 French ones are miles better and more thorough/complete + less restricting. The latter are perfectly suited for Manga/Light Novel/Books collectors such as myself. Less stressful/tiring this way. -g-
Nov 21, 2022 6:26 PM

Dec 2019
I liked it in general, but the ending frustrates me.
I don't see any holes in the Kanami and Akane swap theory, but something feels so wrong about it. I can't put my finger on it.
Nov 23, 2023 5:30 AM

Aug 2020
Damn... Almost one year reading. I took lots of hiatus between the chapters. All I can say is that this first volume was truly unexpected. Great so far. It felt like a little journey...

More topics from this board

» Volume 10 fan translation?

Vileblood_Nobu - Jul 6, 2023

7 by prakash7045 »»
Apr 10, 11:37 PM

» How do we get Vertical to publish all 9-10 books?

HarrierDuBoisFan - Jun 19, 2023

1 by Ikkun_ »»
Jun 19, 2023 10:36 PM

» Why is this ongoing again?

Eggs_Dee - Feb 8, 2023

4 by KitsuFrost »»
Jun 3, 2023 7:10 AM

Poll: » what do you think for the best episode?

kelvin8072 - Jan 28, 2023

2 by timetoai »»
May 20, 2023 8:01 PM

» Holy shit this is underrated, are there any other series like this?

Neostorm-X - Nov 16, 2022

1 by Ikkun_ »»
Dec 5, 2022 10:48 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.