Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 17, 2016 9:42 PM
Oct 2014
The anime series itself is seinen but Mal, as usual, wrongly tagged the anime as shonen. The manga adaptation of the anime is shonen though.
Oct 22, 2017 12:45 PM

Apr 2017
bump*

I got confused when I saw the series listed as Shounen, because Shounen has never appealed to me. I love this anime, so it can't be Shounen. :S
Mar 18, 2018 5:51 AM
Mar 2018
zodd0 said:
bump*

I got confused when I saw the series listed as Shounen, because Shounen has never appealed to me. I love this anime, so it can't be Shounen. :S

An ironic statement for someone who has Koe no Katachi among his favorites.
Mar 18, 2018 5:54 AM

Apr 2017
topunuzunamk said:

It's not really Shounen though even if it may say so on MAL.
Mar 18, 2018 5:56 AM
Mar 2018
zodd0 said:
topunuzunamk said:

Yeah, sure. Keep telling that. You must have rated OPM 9 for the same reason, lol.
Mar 18, 2018 5:58 AM

Apr 2017
topunuzunamk said:
Yeah, sure. Keep telling that. OPM must be the same seeing you rated it a 9, lol.

OPM is Seinen. Your trolling is a failure. :/
Mar 18, 2018 6:07 AM
Mar 2018
zodd0 said:
topunuzunamk said:
Yeah, sure. Keep telling that. OPM must be the same seeing you rated it a 9, lol.

OPM is Seinen. Your trolling is a failure. :/

Here is a quote from the wiki page of OPM;

" Viz Media has licensed the remake for English serialization in its Weekly Shonen Jump digital magazine"

OPM is originally a web comic not a manga anyway, which you obviously don't know.
Mar 18, 2018 6:14 AM

Apr 2017
topunuzunamk said:
" Viz Media has licensed the remake for English serialization in its Weekly Shonen Jump digital magazine"

OPM is originally a web comic not a manga anyway, which you obviously don't know.

Haha, you are such a butthurt little child. Welcome to my ignore-list. :)
Mar 18, 2018 6:16 AM
Mar 2018
zodd0 said:
topunuzunamk said:

Haha, you are such a butthurt little child. Welcome to my ignore-list. :)

Yeah, run like the little bitch you are, lol.
Mar 18, 2018 6:18 AM

Feb 2015
zodd0 said:
topunuzunamk said:

It is a shonen.
You do know that Shonen is a really broad demographic, right?
8 to 18 years old to be exact. And Koe No Katachi is clearly aimed at teenagers therefore falling into the shonen demographic.
Plus, it's manga is published in a Shonen magazine.
AzurealXMar 18, 2018 6:26 AM
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Mar 18, 2018 6:35 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
zodd0 said:
topunuzunamk said:

So because its not a battle shounen it cant be a shounen ? lol.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Mar 18, 2018 6:48 AM

Apr 2012
Since we're talking about the anime, it's neither because it's an original anime, while seinen/shounen are manga demographics.
Mar 18, 2018 7:06 AM

Apr 2017
SigmaticDoc said:
It is a shonen.
8 to 18 years old to be exact. And Koe No Katachi is clearly aimed at teenagers therefore falling into the shonen demographic.

The manga might be Shonen, but I don't see why adults would find the anime less appealing than teens. I also can't see how the filmmakers have tried to appeal to teens rather than to as many people as possible regardless of age.

Kimi no Na wa is not a Shounen either, and to me they are very similar in that way. How do they differ to make one Shounen and the other one not?
Zoldra0Mar 18, 2018 7:11 AM
Mar 18, 2018 9:49 AM

Feb 2015
zodd0 said:
SigmaticDoc said:
It is a shonen.

The manga might be Shonen, but I don't see why adults would find the anime less appealing than teens. I also can't see how the filmmakers have tried to appeal to teens rather than to as many people as possible regardless of age.

Kimi no Na wa is not a Shounen either, and to me they are very similar in that way. How do they differ to make one Shounen and the other one not?

Because the anime is an adaptation of the manga and follows the same story, same characters and targets the same audience that the manga does. It's logical.
Plus, no matter how you look at it, it's clear that depressed teens were the demographic.

Kimi No Na Wa is not similar to Koe No Katachi at all...
And it's demographic is PG 13+
Though it's unclear whether it's shonen or not, as shonen is a demographic aimed at boys.
Mar 18, 2018 9:52 AM

Feb 2015
EratiK said:
Since we're talking about the anime, it's neither because it's an original anime, while seinen/shounen are manga demographics.

The anime Kiba is a shounen yet it's clearly an anime original.
They're not exclusively manga demographics. Just easier to pinpoint if they're manga, cause they publish in their respective magazines that are already aimed at that certain demographic while anime originals, you don't know whether they're aimed at a shoujo/josei or a shonen/seinen demographic until the producers outright say it.
Or when it's way too obvious.
Mar 18, 2018 10:04 AM

Apr 2017
SigmaticDoc said:
Because the anime is an adaptation of the manga and follows the same story, same characters and targets the same audience that the manga does. It's logical.

It's still an adaptation with qualities and purposes of its own. It would not have the masterful quality that is has if it only aimed to appease teens, as they would not be needed. The film has a score of 92% on RottenTomatoes, pretty much proving that the worlds adult film critics do not like it any less than the random teens of the world do.

SigmaticDoc said:
Plus, no matter how you look at it, it's clear that depressed teens were the demographic.

That's like saying Helling Ultimate have powerful vampires as a demographic. Being about something and having something as a demographic is very different.

SigmaticDoc said:
Kimi No Na Wa is not similar to Koe No Katachi at all...
And it's demographic is PG 13+
Though it's unclear whether it's shonen or not, as shonen is a demographic aimed at boys.

You haven't noticed how the 2 movies are constantly compared to eachother? Both have a PG-13 rating...
Mar 18, 2018 11:28 AM

Apr 2012
SigmaticDoc said:
They're not exclusively manga demographics. Just easier to pinpoint if they're manga, cause they publish in their respective magazines that are already aimed at that certain demographic while anime originals, you don't know whether they're aimed at a shoujo/josei or a shonen/seinen demographic until the producers outright say it.
Actually, they are exclusively manga demographics. If westerners didn't feel the need to misuse terms they don't fully understand, things would be much clearer, as an example of this discussion.
Mar 18, 2018 11:37 AM

Feb 2015
EratiK said:
SigmaticDoc said:
Actually, they are exclusively manga demographics. If westerners didn't feel the need to misuse terms they don't fully understand, things would be much clearer, as an example of this discussion.

Nah, it's also used for anime. I've seen a lot of interviews with japanese directors referring to anime originals as a shonen anime etc.
Mar 18, 2018 11:40 AM

Apr 2012
If you say so.....
Nov 9, 2022 6:03 AM

Aug 2020
A seinen disguised as a shounen.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

SunSir - Mar 20, 2008

170 by mjjones0 »»
Apr 28, 11:51 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

SunSir - Mar 20, 2008

187 by mjjones0 »»
Apr 28, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

RyanBebop - Feb 22, 2010

56 by Jamk_ »»
Apr 28, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

SunSir - Mar 20, 2008

113 by Jamk_ »»
Apr 27, 1:04 PM

Poll: » Samurai Champloo Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Akral - Sep 16, 2007

195 by Jamk_ »»
Apr 27, 12:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.