Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 9, 2019 1:18 PM

Feb 2015
I hate Tonegawa, but this was too much. I actually felt bad for him.
Dec 10, 2019 4:05 PM

Nov 2014
Ten said:
Oh no, Kaiji, just go home.

Weren't those guys from support group supposed to be all broken and in need of hospital attention themselves? And I find it unrealistic that they just stand there holding onto Kaiji's money. They weren't even connected with him like the guys from rock-paper-scissors and those bastards betrayed him anyway. It just looks ridiculous, I almost expected Kaiji to just give up the money and share between them if they are apparently so buddy-buddy for whatever reason already.

i think they're not all broken, those are the few that can still at least stand and move around.

Also, why wouldn't they help him?? They lost the gamble due to Tonegawa, and kaiji defeated him for them, so in a sense kaiji is their hero. They admire him, that's why they helped him and held onto his money instead of stealing it or whatever. Not everyone is a traitorous son of a bitch u know
Jan 8, 2020 4:41 AM

Mar 2015
Tonegawa got what he deserved, I guess? That was brutal though!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Mar 5, 2020 5:42 AM

Jan 2017
tonegawas punishment was so horrible, even kaiji felt a little bad for him. he kinda deserved it, but props to him for not backing down and taking it like a man.
May 6, 2020 4:46 PM

Jun 2019
Tonegawa definitely deserved it. He would have gleefully condemned Kaiji to a torturous death of a drill boring through his brain and skull and while not as sadistic as the director in the sense of seemingly deriving euphoric, even sexual pleasure from the infliction of suffering on others for its own sake, he still would have rubbed his hands arrogantly self-righteous and assured in his victory and dispassionately received the whole spectacle. There would certainly have been no tears for Kaiji or even a second thought. And it isn't just theoretical as I don't doubt he personally oversaw the torture and murder of many in the same or similar ways before as part of previous gambling crucibles or just to rise his way up through the ranks of organized crime as an enforcer.

At the same time, I have to and will extend an ultimate nod of respect to him for taking his own punishment with a refined sense of bravery, dignity, and resolve befitting his stature and assumed character. He didn't try to lie his way out somehow, beg, whimper, fight back or assault anyone surrounding him - Kaiji or the director included. He lived by his previous words and bravado and confronted his reckoning with honor.

I don't feel sorry at all for Tonegawa, but I respect him. And knowing his character, that's all he would ask for.

And even the director I can see by this point in the series isn't only sadistic, but has more of a proper ideology behind his actions. It does come across as at least partially hypocritical though when he talks about the necessity of living boldly and be willing to risk your life constantly, effectively telling young men to be willing to kill, die, go off and change the world at the cost of the ultimate risk to themselves repeatedly, when he is living comfortably in old age still, portrayed to be at least in his 80s. The only character at this point of the series I still think of as quite unredeemable and pure scum of the Earth though is that Andou or Endou from from the first arc.

WatchTillTandavaMay 6, 2020 5:02 PM
Jun 3, 2020 2:34 AM

May 2018
don't push yourself Kaiji
Aug 1, 2020 5:05 PM

May 2015
"Ive just stood on this paper towel box, and now, that has given me inspiration to take down the biggest corperate asshole with tons of power and money ever!!!" LMAO!!! I love how he gets his inspirations for stuff.

One thing that really confuses me is why the other guys are so enthusiastic about supporting Kaiji. They are still in debt so no idea what they're so happy about. Unless they're planning to steal Kaiji's money.
Yuritopia FTW!!!!!!!!! BANZAI TO YURI !!!!!!!!!!!!
Aug 9, 2020 10:45 AM
Aug 2019
it's the 22nd episode and i was waiting for the director to say that ishida and the others were still alive because of a safety net or something. i was waiting for that kind of plot twist. realized how dumb i was and i also felt bad tonegawa got roasted. i wonder if the room smelt like barbecue or burnt rubber. i got hungry and sick thinking about it
Aug 20, 2020 4:52 PM

Mar 2010
Lol kaiji is just too passionate even crying for a enemy regardless of stance or title.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Jan 15, 2021 9:50 AM

Aug 2018
As if Kaiji's ear chopping isn't enough, we have this ultra painful roasting kneeling scene. I don't think real human could even make it alive in 10 seconds.
Feb 18, 2021 11:34 PM

Nov 2018
Tonegawa is the epitome of lawful evil.
Bastard , but somewhat respectable. Just slightly though , because he would still lie his ass out of this situation somehow , if his hands weren't tied.
I hate everyone equally
Apr 16, 2021 3:51 PM

Mar 2016
I *was* wondering what happens in those last couple episodes. I suppose I know now.

Interesting. Let's see how this goes.

Jul 19, 2021 4:57 AM

Apr 2013
Goddamit noooooo! Could have taken the win Kaiji.

On the other hand it's not like I don't understand Kaiji's desire for revenge after realizing the real enemy was the chairman all along. I feel like this is gonna hurt.

Zawa~~~
Oct 9, 2021 11:55 PM
Jul 2018
Oof this was hard to watch. I wouldn't inflict that kinda thing onto my worst enemy.

Tonegawa may be slightly sadistic, but in some ways he's respectable. He's definitely scum, but the only kind of people who deserve true torture are people like the President. Well, Tonegawa definitely doesn't respect his victims as humans, so maybe five seconds on the roasting platforms would be warranted...

Also, that definitely wasn't 10-12 seconds. Was way more. Time is f---'ed in this anime. There were also some time inconsistencies with the Rock/Paper/Scissor tournament that did not line up with the time intervals within the actual anime episode.
removed-userOct 10, 2021 1:49 PM
Aug 31, 2022 12:34 AM

Aug 2018
That apologize punishment was a pretty brutal one but what’s even better is that Tonigawa did it like a true man , really great moment from him , Kaiji probably was more than satisfied seeing this
Oct 8, 2022 3:29 PM

Dec 2018
i always liked tonegawa but dude that chairman is a fucking creep. why not just go to the hospital and come back? does it have to be right now? and it's not fair, part of the bet was he had to apologize, so shouldn't he be the one to set the terms? i don't gel with the chairman's excuse to be cruel. i mean yeah if he left it at that i'd get it but no, he just wants an excuse to hurt people. i bet the whole reason he lends money is just for that, he doesn't even care about being paid back.
Oct 10, 2022 1:18 PM
Mar 2021
intensity and the willing to fight even further than the handsman of devil himself.
Dec 30, 2022 1:51 PM

Sep 2017
I was at the edge of my sit this whole time
How is going to defeat the boss in only 4 episodes though lol
خ
Feb 11, 2023 4:28 AM

Apr 2022
that was hell itself, mad props to tonegawa for going through with it. the prez did make sense about people lacking sincerity tbf.
kaiji with the W but apparently he wants more.
Jan 25, 2:07 PM
Oct 2017
That was absolutely insane, I thought the suffering would end this episode after his massive win, but we just got something even more brutal. I knew that Tonegawa kneeling down wouldn't make it sincere, but watching his pain while the President laughed took away all the satisfaction I wanted from the apology, as Kaiji said, the enemy is someone else, the President.

Still, if it was me I would retire for the day, with the money at my disposal, I would use it to pay my debts and give the other 10 to the woman of the guy who died and wanted to give her something before he died, I would get my ear reattached, and finish, since the President was entertained with me, it is very likely he would search for me again, and then, I would love to strike him back, if Kaiji's new trick works, that is a mystery, if anything, I really doubt that man would bet all of his assets or his pride against someone like Kaiji unless he is really provoked. I wish you the best of luck, Kaiji.
May 14, 12:35 PM

Jan 2014
The chairman is sick...
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Exelen - Apr 1, 2008

221 by klukva2077 »»
May 5, 8:01 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 25, 2007

76 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:42 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 14, 2007

90 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 2:20 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Dec 12, 2007

67 by DevilsMayMew »»
Apr 1, 1:57 AM

Poll: » Kaiji Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Dec 8, 2007

125 by DevilsMayMew »»
Mar 30, 12:08 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.