Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jul 17, 2016 6:27 AM
Sep 2014
SirKurt said:
Honestly speaking, even though people bitching about the CGI, I really liked the previous movies. But this series is horrible. I thought as long as adaptation was faithful to manga and CGI wasn't lazy I would like it. But they even butchered the fight scenes, even though it is CGI, you can see skipping frames etc. I think I have to accept that Berserk will not get a decent anime adaptation and move on to reading manga.

The only think that is good is OST I think.

I agree. The previous films actually had good CGI. But the series is nuts. The 2D and CGI don't blend well at all it looks pretty bad at times tbh. The made up apostle story was meh and the rape horse scene was a joke. Tbh if this series turns out to be a 24 episode coup at the rate they're skipping manga material the anime will probably catch up to where the manga is. Its really sad
Jul 17, 2016 10:50 AM

Jun 2015
I was willing to give the 2D stuff a chance, but damn, did they fuck up in this episode. Everything feels too rushed, as well. Occasionally, there are good moments like Guts vs. the pampered knights, but it appalls me how someone in the production team thought that having Guts & company move like Pat & Mat was a grand idea.
uh oh!
Jul 17, 2016 11:01 AM

Jun 2012
Best thing about this episode : Rape horse is in!!

The fight with the apostle was done very poorly, and looked awkward. I don't know how to feel about this series anymore. I still wait each episode with hype and excitement so I'm at least getting entertained.

Go read the manga, I say this as someone who hates reading manga. Berserk is worth it.
Jul 17, 2016 11:40 AM

Mar 2016
Quetzaly said:
RealCW said:

You're letting a bias towards lesser works affect your mentality on a manga you've never once given a chance.

Berserk isn't about shock. It's a dark story and it needs these horror elements otherwise the story would have virtually no weight.

You can't judge a scene in this anime to represent the same tone as the manga. It's 17 volumes in, firstly (and you've been with Guts that entire time and know why he's tormented) and it comes off as genuine horror in the manga when that horse attempts to rape Farnese and then Guts immediately flashes back to the Eclipse and Casca.

You're judging apples and oranges here. Don't bring up the manga with criticism until you've actually read it, thanks.

Don't go on this idiot's opinion alone, especially if you've never actually READ THE MANGA yourself (not just the first anime). He's in the extreme minority.

I haven't read the manga, never got the time before but I always considered it.

Does it maintains the quality of the first part? How much the fairy gets involved?

You mean Puck? Puck, as one of Guts' very first new allies (post Band of the Hawk), his role is pretty critical in keeping Guts sane.

Really, if you check out the manga; you'll see that the first 3 volumes actually take place after the Eclipse and it's actually a pretty good way to start the manga after seeing the original anime.

Then in volume 3, it starts the Golden Age arc (what was adapted in the first series), only now you can see it with a bit of expanded content and an actual ending to see how it led into volumes 1-3.

Can't stress enough to give it a read.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Fight. Like. Hell. For everything and everyone you love. Always.
Jul 17, 2016 11:46 AM

Mar 2016
BobDiesel said:
SirKurt said:
Honestly speaking, even though people bitching about the CGI, I really liked the previous movies. But this series is horrible. I thought as long as adaptation was faithful to manga and CGI wasn't lazy I would like it. But they even butchered the fight scenes, even though it is CGI, you can see skipping frames etc. I think I have to accept that Berserk will not get a decent anime adaptation and move on to reading manga.

I agree. The previous films actually had good CGI. But the series is nuts. The 2D and CGI don't blend well at all it looks pretty bad at times tbh. The made up apostle story was meh and the rape horse scene was a joke. Tbh if this series turns out to be a 24 episode coup at the rate they're skipping manga material the anime will probably catch up to where the manga is. Its really sad

You must be kidding. The original films' CG was laughably bad until film 3; the only time it ever looked remotely good.

At least this series had the benefit of coming out after, so they at least continued to 'polish' the technique; but good lord, movies 1 and 2's CG looked horrific all around.
Life can be cruel and unfair. At worst it can traumatize and cripple you. The desire for wanting things to return to the way they were can cost everything and changes nothing. The best way is to keep moving forward, struggle on.
Anger can be powerful but can only get you so far. Let people into your life even if some of them leave you in time.

Jul 17, 2016 12:25 PM

Jan 2015
Hope there will be an uncensored version later, the lack of nipples were really...disturbing...otherwise awesome ep
Jul 17, 2016 12:33 PM

Jan 2011
o man Farnese annoys me so much even after catchimg up to the manga i havent change my opinion on her, well i had a few laughs at her on this ep
Jul 17, 2016 12:41 PM
Sep 2014
RealCW said:
BobDiesel said:

You must be kidding. The original films' CG was laughably bad until film 3; the only time it ever looked remotely good.

At least this series had the benefit of coming out after, so they at least continued to 'polish' the technique; but good lord, movies 1 and 2's CG looked horrific all around.

So if the movie CGI was bad then the series CGI is shambolic because everyone knows the animation quality has seriously dropped compared to the movies. You must be joking about polishing the technique. What technique have they polished the CGI looks more awful than the movies so I can't understand your logic at all
Jul 17, 2016 1:12 PM

Mar 2016
BobDiesel said:
RealCW said:

So if the movie CGI was bad then the series CGI is shambolic because everyone knows the animation quality has seriously dropped compared to the movies. You must be joking about polishing the technique. What technique have they polished the CGI looks more awful than the movies so I can't understand your logic at all

Did you ever see movie 1's trailer, when they showed Guts vs Bazuzo, how much everyone laughed at laughable it looked?

To this series' credit, the pencil shading adds a nice little bit of hand-drawn flair to not make it so obvious; like, I thought every trailer of this show looked pretty damn good.

Can't ever say that was the case, apart from movie 3, of Studio 4C's versions.

I'm only talking about the animation here; the films have way worse issues than that. I think you're the one who needs his eyes checked, pal.

Jul 17, 2016 1:25 PM
Sep 2014
RealCW said:
BobDiesel said:

Did you ever see movie 1's trailer, when they showed Guts vs Bazuzo, how much everyone laughed at laughable it looked?

To this series' credit, the pencil shading adds a nice little bit of hand-drawn flair to not make it so obvious; like, I thought every trailer of this show looked pretty damn good.

I'm only talking about the animation here; the films have way worse issues than that. I think you're the one who needs his eyes checked, pal.

You're talking so much crap to even compare this to the movies. Yes the movies had problems but as much problems like this... Yh your a idiot but whatever we'd go back and forth with people like you who defend subpar animation like this but whatever anyway we'll agree to disagree.
Jul 17, 2016 1:28 PM

Mar 2016
BobDiesel said:
RealCW said:

You're talking so much crap to even compare this to the movies. Yes the movies had problems but as much problems like this... Yh your a idiot but whatever we'd go back and forth with people like you who defend subpar animation like this but whatever anyway we'll agree to disagree.

They're both subpar animation, but the series looks way better to me; barring the third film, which, I can agree did look better overall. The only one though.

And FYI, don't call people idiots when you don't know the differences between "your" and "you're", thanks.
CrimsonCWJul 17, 2016 1:52 PM

Jul 17, 2016 1:39 PM

Apr 2015
I'm not surprised that no one is rejoicing that Casca actually has a darker skin tone. lol
Jul 17, 2016 2:39 PM
Dec 2008
Why is it so impossible to see any emotions in CG faces, the only thing that portrays the tension/feelings are what they're saying (and their SLOW CG movements)
Jul 17, 2016 4:11 PM

Aug 2014
Couldn't care less about the Rape Horse, I'm glad they at least kept that scene of Farnese going down on Guts's "sword" if it was censored.

It still couldn't saved this episode though. I mean I understand they had to introduce Guts's goal of destroying the Apostles one way or the other, but I'm still not pleased it had to be at the expense of the Black Swordman/Lost Children arcs.

Hongu said:
So this is the big Rape Horse scene all the manga readers were hyping up? This is what constitutes as a good Berserk scene?
Stuff like this reminds me of why I haven't read the manga. It's so edgy and full of shock factor, I'm surprised more people aren't calling it out for it, since there's such a hatred towards that type of stuff nowadays. The scene came off as more hilarious than disturbing or shocking. I mean, a horse with a big fat grin raping a girl? Really?

I apologize on behalf of the Berserk fandom over its disturbing obsession over rape. Even as a huge fan I can admit that that shit needs to stop.
Jul 17, 2016 4:36 PM

Aug 2013
usual problems: visuals

episode specific problems: the conflict with the apostle was poorly written, then shifted into some more poorly written exposition:

highlights: everything else. especially OG Griffith making his way to the block.

4/5
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2016 5:54 PM

Dec 2011
Damn. Farnese should have awakened to the darkness of their world, albeit she is traumatized in the process.

Seeing the preview, I really hope they really animate that flashback, since if they do, it will show how Guts acquired his armor, artificial hand and the Dragon Slayer.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 17, 2016 7:58 PM

Jan 2016
That was the weirdest credits sequence I've ever seen, I mean the text were all over the fight sce.. nevermind

Ahh.. 2D flashbacks, so refreshing :D

Still no nepals? bummer :(
マジ Saitama 殴り
Jul 17, 2016 10:49 PM

Aug 2012
Yeah like not only is that some of the most unfitting credits music ever, the tone was 1000% off. I gotta admit that this episode was way better than the last two in terms of straight animation quality though, despite the models still not looking great.

Still bums me out that they skipped Lost Children, but I mean the Windows XP computers that they're probably using to render the anime probably can't handle all the coolness. (I won't spoil it if you haven't read it, but it's good.)
Jul 17, 2016 11:06 PM

Dec 2010
Don't get why they bother to adapt a great manga like Berserk with a so low budget and crappy CGI. The garegous dark content of the manga is comical here.

White Fox should have animated Berserk. Miura should sue the people ruin his manga with this awfull porting.

-_-
Jul 18, 2016 12:32 AM

Aug 2013
Badass said:
Kerozinn said:
fuck me..they completely made up the whole Apostle in that mansion.

Well, Miura wrote this episode himself.

What the fuck this episode was shit I really hope that isn't true. Especially after seeing the fucking elephant attack at the end. They're rushing through Berserk so fast it's just disgusting.

He should just stick to manga.
Jul 18, 2016 7:03 AM

Dec 2010
My 2 cents:
The creators of this adaptation should have either used traditional 2D or high quality 3D CG animation but not this weird mix.
Also why does Guts' Sword sound like he's using a trash can? And I'm missing the sound effect that his automated bow did in the '97 anime.
Jul 18, 2016 7:11 AM

Nov 2015
The horse scene just fucked up my whole wordview.
Jul 18, 2016 7:50 AM

Jul 2010
Why fernase has no nipples omg
Jul 18, 2016 9:48 AM

Mar 2009
nijaskan said:
lancer35 said:
The highlight of the episode

Also this:

Great episode hahaha

What's strange about this is that her nipples are actually there. They're just missing color and texture. I guess it's okay to to show Farnese's attempted rape, but nipples are a no-no.

Speaking of which, I'm shocked they left in the horse scene and Farnese straddling the Dragonslayer. I figured since this aired on TV, it'd be too much. And it's cool that Miura wrote this episode and added some backstory to that one Apostle(he was also in the manga, but in another scene altogether since the mansion part of the episode was completely original), but it could have been handled a lot better.

ziggy_Z said:
Racaholic said:
Am I the only one who thought it was bizarre that Guts stabbing flesh sounds identical to Guts slashing skeletons?

lol pls!
The clanging is so bad. They need to do something about that. The sound effects are bad in general and with the exception of the OP, I hate the soundtrack.
Jul 18, 2016 10:21 AM

Jul 2014
This was literally the worst piece of animated work I have seen from a high profile show.
Jesus, Fucking Christ.
Jul 18, 2016 11:07 AM

Jul 2014
The choppy animation in the horse scene looked like some cheap hentai shit
Jul 18, 2016 6:21 PM

Apr 2014
SirKurt said:

Yes the movies looked mostly fine imo. This looks awful and the censorship is making it even worse.
Jul 18, 2016 9:44 PM

Dec 2014
Ok. Although the new design not end to convince me, all right.

What will matter to the king the location of Griffith right now? Stupid.
And the censorship of the nipples, stupid too.
Is there anybody out there?
Jul 19, 2016 1:02 AM

Jun 2013
Oh fuck. I'm a person who likes Gilgamesh despite the 'horrible' visuals but this episode made me actually puke my pizza out.
The frame rate also gave me a headache.

Yay rape horse was there xD
Jul 19, 2016 1:47 AM

Oct 2008
Anime darkness & morbidity to it's finest!
Farnese is better possessed because her true desires is showing!
LOL at that horse rape...didn't adapt quite nicely.
5/5!

Jul 19, 2016 12:30 PM

Jul 2016
man this looks like crap and not just the characters the fight itself was terrible sigh sweet berserk how they butchered you.
Jul 19, 2016 1:52 PM

May 2010
nightlur said:
man this looks like crap and not just the characters the fight itself was terrible sigh sweet berserk how they butchered you.

----------------
Jul 19, 2016 2:22 PM

Jul 2016
Seems like a series of bad decisions on the directors part will rob us of an appropriate adaptation oh well ill watch anyway guts is still cool. white casca is very strange but maybe its the lighting in the op that makes her look that way well have to wait till she makes a proper appearance.
Jul 19, 2016 4:11 PM

Mar 2016
YouniverSoul said:
nightlur said:

----------------

This guy is such an idiot. He's bitching and complaining about things that he doesn't understand, because he's never read the manga to this point.

I cannot believe someone would have read to this point and then would willingly allow THIS anime to be their introduction to this arc and try to analyze their botched execution.

"The King calling Griffith", that's a ball drop right there of the anime. It's the White Hawk, which the King, right before his death, realizes it's Griffith.

And he really thinks the Kushan Invasion and Griffith is just going to appear out of nowhere and attack? Did he even read the manga up to this point? Griffith is an incorporeal god right now; he cannot manifest into the living world at the drop of the hat, or even really at all outside a Behelit summoning. Even reading the manga (volume 2 even), he should know better than this.

This guy obviously doesn't understand Berserk in any capacity; except the films. And, judging from his piss poor knowledge of the Golden Age, it's probably the only version of it he's actually ever seen.
CrimsonCWJul 19, 2016 4:27 PM

Jul 19, 2016 4:30 PM

Jul 2016
Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Berserk (The Anime) went from godly to acceptable.

I'm speechless.

The CG is bad, but I'm sticking around to see how it goes. I have a somewhat decent tolerance for bad CG.

I want to give it a chance and pretend that Berserk is the Ajin from 2 seasons ago --- great Anime with somewhat questionable CG. It's kind of the same for Knights of Sidonia.

Berserk, however, appears to be a mediocre Anime dragged down by terrible CG.

Jul 19, 2016 5:14 PM

May 2010
FrozenSheep said:
Oh, how the mighty have fallen. Berserk (The Anime) went from godly to acceptable.

I'm speechless.

The CG is bad, but I'm sticking around to see how it goes. I have a somewhat decent tolerance for bad CG.

I want to give it a chance and pretend that Berserk is the Ajin from 2 seasons ago --- great Anime with somewhat questionable CG. It's kind of the same for Knights of Sidonia.

Berserk, however, appears to be a mediocre Anime dragged down by terrible CG.

Right?! If they gonna fuck up the story, the LEAST we could get is some good animation to be distracted with(like many other anime)
Jul 19, 2016 10:35 PM

Dec 2015
Does anyone know why they decided to use CGI instead of 2D animation? I have nothing against CGI; I'm just wondering why they chose to use it.
Jul 20, 2016 6:55 AM

Oct 2014
Because it's cheaper to use than 2D animation and this series probably had a very low budget, considering the studio involved.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Jul 20, 2016 8:02 AM

Jul 2016
Kentaro you REALLY fucked it up this time. You should be ashamed of your god damn self.. Are you kidding me with this crap?? The entire berserk fandom wanted this sequel. Six months ago I said that this was going to be the hypest shit of the summer. It was perfect. Bring back Berserk with 2016 advancements in animation to put other shows like One Punch Man and Jojo to shame, and at the same time that's okay because these are mostly just bullshit flavors of the month. That's what I predicted, that's what I told everybody what was going to happen, and everybody on this website thought to themselves that this was going to be the sequel we were waiting for, and we started to believe it more and more, and the energy started to churn. Release day, and it comes out?... RWBY SFM 3D at 5 frames per second? I feel bad for Kentaro. The fans Booed him, but it's not his fault. But what THE FUCK GEMBA WHAT THE FUCK MILIPESE are you kidding me with this CRAP? This is what you do? Crunchy roll, your best buddy, jerking you off in the meeting room with your other best buddy Universal Pictures (coincidentally both involved in this anime - go figure) Hey Kentaro "Thy Kingdom Come" was a little bit wrong. I Think "Thy Kingdom" is getting cummed on... by Gemba and all those other dogshit producers..
USMarine93Jul 20, 2016 2:49 PM
Jul 20, 2016 9:05 AM

Mar 2015
I just can't get used to the pacing. It feels very fast even though not much is happening. I don't know how to explain it, but it just feels off for me.

Does anyone know if home release will have censored boobs? If there's no censorship there, then I'll just wait for that instead of watching this version. Censorship simply prevents me from getting into the episodes. I just can't help it.
Jul 20, 2016 6:01 PM
Jul 2018
Hootja said:
Hongu said:
So this is the big Rape Horse scene all the manga readers were hyping up? This is what constitutes as a good Berserk scene?
Stuff like this reminds me of why I haven't read the manga. It's so edgy and full of shock factor, I'm surprised more people aren't calling it out for it, since there's such a hatred towards that type of stuff nowadays. The scene came off as more hilarious than disturbing or shocking. I mean, a horse with a big fat grin raping a girl? Really?

You're right, it's a shit scene.

The manga tanked after the golden age arc and never recovered.

If you watched the original anime then you already got the best this series has to offer. The storytelling in golden age was superb. Since then, there's really been nothing but gratuitous edgelord shit.

Sad but true.

OT: What a weird episode, it was supposed to come across as dark and yet I didn't really feel it, if that makes any sense. This felt like a bad horror flick or one of those crappy fantasy movies on Syfy. I will not complain about the animation, no point in beating a dead horse. Sonically, this is really bland. Berserk deserves better than this man, this is just disrespectful at this point.
Jul 20, 2016 11:41 PM

Aug 2015
Not sure what I thought about the episode, didn't like the mansion apostle in particular, as that wasn't in the manga I'm pretty sure. It wasn't too bad, I just think it wasted some time and we could have started onto the next chapter or two instead if that wasn't in there. I still liked it though, just wish it wasn't this style of animation. Beggars can't be choosers I guess.
Jul 21, 2016 6:39 AM

Jul 2016
My main problem is the CGI.

There is just little point to it, it only detracts from the overall product. how good the non-CGI flashbacks look promote that.
Jul 21, 2016 10:59 AM

Mar 2016
Layfonkun said:
Hootja said:

You're right, it's a shit scene.

The manga tanked after the golden age arc and never recovered.

If you watched the original anime then you already got the best this series has to offer. The storytelling in golden age was superb. Since then, there's really been nothing but gratuitous edgelord shit.

Sad but true.

Why are you even on this topic then? 99.9% of people don't agree with your wrong opinion. Stick to 97 Berserk if that's the only part of it you liked. I don't know why you would ever read the manga or especially watch this anime adaptation.

Jul 21, 2016 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
RealCW said:
Layfonkun said:

Sad but true.

Why are you even on this topic then? 99.9% of people don't agree with your wrong opinion. Stick to 97 Berserk if that's the only part of it you liked. I don't know why you would ever read the manga or especially watch this anime adaptation.

1. I'm on this topic because I thought we were allowed to share our thoughts on the episode.

2. The story after the golden age arc was of diminished quality imo. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy it or hate Berserk. It just went from a 10 to a 9 for me. It's not that big of a deal.

3. This adaptation is bad and if you were a "real" fan of Berserk, you wouldn't jump on anyone who has an issue with it. This is disrespectful and a marginal attempt at mediocrity.

4. Berserk is one of my top 10 favorite manga of all time.

5. This episode was better than the last two so I'm quietly optimistic that perhaps things will get better from here on.
Jul 22, 2016 5:54 PM
Jul 2015
I hate the sound of a bucket being hit that they put to the sword -.-
Jul 23, 2016 4:25 PM

Jul 2009
renanmil said:
I hate the sound of a bucket being hit that they put to the sword -.-

Here's a behind the scenes look of the sound design

MezziazJul 23, 2016 4:28 PM
Jul 26, 2016 3:13 AM

Jul 2008
Characters like Farnese are just pathetic in my opinion, so closed off from reality.
Jul 26, 2016 3:01 PM
May 2012
Was waiting for the horse rape and it was more fucked up because of that animation ahahaha.
Jul 26, 2016 5:20 PM

Jul 2009
This animation is a cancer...they could have gave nipples to Farnese...
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Berserk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 16, 2016

182 by Dractune »»
May 12, 10:25 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 1, 2016

990 by Bruh69XD »»
Apr 30, 7:28 PM

» Why does berserk, one of the greatest manga has such a shitty anime adaptation?

IMortaI - Aug 14, 2023

30 by Old_School_Akira »»
Dec 31, 2023 6:37 AM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 29, 2016

118 by Alphanumerische »»
Nov 28, 2023 12:30 PM

Poll: » Berserk Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 8, 2016

285 by Ere14 »»
Nov 11, 2023 4:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.