Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 5, 2016 6:57 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, now that was quite something. The movie takes place in Kumamoto for the main part.

Most of the main competitors from the original series return. Onada made into the ace of the mountain race team as well. I think that's quite a bit of responsibility to shoulder. Hakone Academy looks like they are quite being favored because of their reputation.

Comedy is nice too, can't forget the Hime Hime song LOL. I thought the cycling race itself was decent, got a similar feeling of the past seasons.
May 5, 2016 8:07 PM

Mar 2013
ok finished all 3 movies in one go and damn I need to watch this series again this movie was actually really good glad they added the hime song. also was quite surprised that this was a sequel.
May 5, 2016 9:40 PM

Dec 2009
This movie had a similar feeling from both past seasons, enjoyed it a lot... can't wait for the 3rd season. Ah, the Hime Hime song which brings the team to victory. The pressure of being mountain ace of the team for Onoda since Makishima is leaving overseas which impacts Onoda's beliefs as a climber and a member of the team.

Glad he got over it at the 2nd day of the race. Probably in his 2nd year, he won't have any worries of being the mountain ace because got the support of Imaizumi, Naruko and other members of the team and doesn't need to feel he has to fulfill his role alone.
May 5, 2016 11:01 PM

Mar 2013
pokegirl said:
This movie had a similar feeling from both past seasons, enjoyed it a lot... can't wait for the 3rd season.

Is there going to be a 3rd season because I would watch that immediately.
May 6, 2016 1:19 AM

Nov 2011
FallenEntity said:
pokegirl said:
This movie had a similar feeling from both past seasons, enjoyed it a lot... can't wait for the 3rd season.

Is there going to be a 3rd season because I would watch that immediately.

Yes, third season has been announced awhile ago (not sure yet when it will debut though).
May 6, 2016 7:35 AM

Nov 2012
I enjoy the movie, but it was far worse than how the series was.
May 6, 2016 2:16 PM
Feb 2012
^same here, basically.

It's not really surprising though given that the prequels had like a dozen episodes to portray 2-3 days of a race while the movie did the same in about 45 minutes. That's nothing and certainly not enough time to properly create emotional suspense, build up a nice rivalry, or create the threat of a new "villain".

The movie was more of a bridge to me, linking the franchise to the third season.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
May 6, 2016 4:42 PM

Dec 2013
^this sums it up xD
I really started to like Onoda's character in season 2, but this movie kinda dragged it down a bit for me. I would've liked to see more of the Kumamoto ace climber, who was very underwhelming tbh - also it felt like they threw in most of the teams just to focus on Sohoku & Hakone again (!) in the end. Giving the two main teams + Kumamoto more screen time could've been nice, too.
it was okay - not as much as the series itself, but it wasn't the worst either.

7/10 for me
May 7, 2016 3:41 AM

Nov 2015
good warmup for 3rd season
May 9, 2016 6:27 AM

Sep 2008
Oh, my...
I totally forgot that sempai graduate from high school... ;(
till this movie I even don't thought about this
and now so brutally and strong reminded me about that...
This hurt...
This always hurt, but the most you feel it in sports anime...

Makishima semapi!
I feel like something will happen...
They put some many flags, but I don't really take them seriously,
until they bring that he is moving to England...
Damn it... my favorite semapi!
almost whole movie without him... ;(
But... I feel that he will show up soon or later...
and when Kinjou get that phone call I was sure soon he will show up!
I cried when Onoda saw him...

Anyway... these scenes!
That animation during that moment was so cool! *.*

I loved that part when whole team sang "Love Hime" theme song! <3
They did it, pretty amazing! ;)
I was laughing so hard and I got tears in my eyes...
I gonna miss that...

Miyano Mamoru! *.*
I totally did not expect him in this movie (in this series)!
What a surprise! <3

Also... Kumamon.
Kumamon everywhere!

After brutal awakening about 3 years graduation
I'am not ready for 3 season with new team...
Makishima semapi! ;(
I can deal with semapi leaving school,
they can always go to visit them, go to see new team ride...
but... Makishima going to England? I'm not ok with this! ;(
Return as soon as possible!
May 9, 2016 10:27 PM

Mar 2015
It was so great to see the guys back in action though I do wish Midousuji would've played a bigger role in this one than his sole signature kimoi cameo! Really really hyped up for season 3 to see how not only Sohoku but all the main teams cope without their 3rd years!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jun 18, 2016 1:09 AM

Dec 2011
Nice movie and love the part where they all sing Lone Hime!
I ship Sakamichi and Aya so hard..
Jun 19, 2016 7:50 AM

Aug 2015
Movie was good. The part were they all start to sing that hime song was funny. Loved seeing those guys together again.
Jun 23, 2016 8:12 PM

May 2011
Lost it when they all started singing. I wasn't expecting much from this movie but it was way more enjoyable than I thought it'd be. Too bad Midousuji wasn't in the race though. Looking forward to the third season.
Jul 18, 2016 9:26 PM

Feb 2013
Ah! That was good!! Just like the previous seasons. I sometimes wish this site would let you rate things like 8.5 but I totally get why they don't, so this one was hard for me to rate.

Season 3! Hyped.

8/10
Aug 22, 2016 3:49 PM

Feb 2013
Nice movie.
That guy trying to ride like Midousuji was super funny.
The best moment was obviously the entire team singing Love Hime.
Nov 1, 2016 11:24 PM

Jul 2014
Everyone gets their own nickname as an athlete lol.
How do I signature?
Dec 25, 2016 10:00 PM

May 2009
Favorite scene from the movie: Makishima and Onoda reunion while watching the sun rise
2nd favorite: The team singing the Hime song while passing all the other teams XD
3rd favorite: Onoda rides with Makishima before his sudden departure
Overall, the movie was good and I really just love the characters :)
Can't wait for season 3 in the coming weeks :D
Dec 26, 2016 9:40 AM

Dec 2012
Those first 5 minutes with Onoda in Akiba was fantastic. Just made me think "Ohhh man, it's back. It's really back!"

I guess the best way to describe this movie is that I love the premise, but I wasn't as fond of the execution. This serves well as a bridge for the third years to pass the torch onto Onoda & company. I especially liked the moments between Onoda and Maki, particularly when Maki entrusts Sohoku to Onoda before leaving abruptly. And it was also natural that this sudden departure would stir up uncertainty in Onoda. That in combination with the pressure of racing like a champion overwhelmed him.

Where I felt it went a bit astray, however, was trying to balance this internal conflict with a brand new race. The Fire Mountain race essentially felt like one giant recap rush with slightly different results. The characters would just shout their favorite lines, go head to head for the checkpoint, rinse and repeat. Nowhere near as dynamic as the TV series, which shows how much Yowa Pedal benefits from being given time to develop the races.

With that said, I did like Maki's return and that moment when him and Onoda see the sunrise. That feeling of inspiration as a new horizon lights up. I also liked how Sohoku decided to race together one more time and yes, the team effort on Love Hime was possibly the greatest moment in the entire franchise. The final 15 minutes of the movie took me back to what I love about YowaPedal, it's just a shame that the rest of the film wasn't quite as captivating.

7/10, looking forward to the third season airing in a couple of weeks.
Jan 19, 2017 4:57 AM

May 2016
narulovesramen said:
Favorite scene from the movie: Makishima and Onoda reunion while watching the sun rise
2nd favorite: The team singing the Hime song while passing all the other teams XD

Agreed :)

I must admit the pacing of the movie sat better with me than that of the series itself.

I'm also grateful for the art & animation quality increase. Like, some of the characters got pupils:

...and some just got handsomer:
Feb 28, 2017 9:11 PM
Jan 2017
Great art and animation in this - loved the vibrant colors. A beautiful and poignant scene with midousuji in the cemetary. It was great seeing so many great characters again.

Watching Hakone being their "A" game and take all three check points like total badasses just made what Sohuko was able to do at the Inter High even more impressive.

This felt like a love letter to Makishima - he was, in some ways, the main character in this one! After seeing his Spare Bike, the ending scene was excellent.

As much fun as the hime hime team ride was, it recycled the scene from the grande road omake too much - makishima had basically the same reactions each time. Still, absolutely amazing scene!
http://tadasimha.tumblr.com/post/157764290212/i-have-become-hooked-on-yowamushi-pedal-so-many
Mar 9, 2017 6:57 AM

Mar 2008
Just goes to show that Yowamushi is only so good as how much Midousuji it features.

By the end, this seemed far too much of a rehash, made even worse with its absolutely generic Onoda-depression arc. Character regression! Much drama! What a pinchy punchy complication! The pleasant introduction ends up eating into the race time, leaving us with a hollow mockery of the inter-high's 'biggest hits'.

Was disappointed to see Miyano's ham wasted on a joke character - if the film's just here for a fanservice meet with the old cast, why waste precious screentime with an OG character who literally amounts to nothing?

While the movie looked a pleasant step up from the TV anime, I can't help but wish the pondering tourist scenery could be traded for a more substantial race.

Better yet, the whole thing should've been a hime hime musical instead. Now that would've been greato.
Apr 22, 2017 12:48 PM

Jan 2013
I guess it didn't count as a win for Sohoku in the end.
Still an enjoyable movie
May 2, 2017 10:11 AM

Oct 2013
This movie was released before the earthquake in Kumamoto. The city continues to emane positive energy and showing itself to be of fire (phoenix). As well, I loved this movie. I really miss the veterans in this current season so was very good to see them again.
May 14, 2017 12:31 AM

Jan 2011
Nothing we haven't seen before, but worth it for the whole team singing Love Hime.
Jun 20, 2017 2:23 AM

Dec 2014
Great movie, captured the feel of the series really well.

Kinda strange as I'm watching this just as the 3rd season is about to end. XD

The whole team singing Love Hime was so epic. xD

The final climb was easily the best part of the race, loved watching the 4 climbers from Sohoku and Hakone inspire and be inspired to race with all their heart. :D

9/10
Jan 12, 2018 2:43 PM

Jun 2013
the Hime song always gets me
Jan 15, 2018 7:05 PM

Oct 2008
Great movie! in the end Makishima won the mountain climb of the unofficial Kumamoto race!
5/5.
8/10.

Aug 8, 2018 2:27 AM

Jun 2011
I forgot how shitty the Onoda drama/breakdown is, being reminded again didn't feel good. I know he's come through when the team needed him the most, aka the interhigh, but he's had many moments where he pulls the team back because of his shitty mental breakdown. I know mental breakdown is no joke but it's very very annoying to watch especially when it's repetitive.

Yowapeda is great once again, cept for those moments. I hope Onoda actually grows into more senpai-like for the first years in the next series, instead of being guided all the time, even by his first-year peers.

Oh and yowapeda always goes overboard with the tongue effect during the rides, it's lowkey creepy.

Almost forgot, that Kumamoto team was really disappointing.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Sep 26, 2019 5:43 PM

Sep 2018
I like this movie, it's more funny, the 2 days race is not too dragging, no nuisance villain and finally, I saw the legendary Hime song that I watched in yt before watching this anime haha I love that scene :D
Oct 14, 2019 3:35 PM

Oct 2015
Sohoku really likes to pull from behind huh!

I was actually glad the "Peak spider " came back to the team. But I was more impressed when he came from behind and took the race, truly godly. Jinpachi was the one who was more happier, I guess now they are tied with eight wins and eight loses, truly fitting end for their rivalry. Too bad Sohoku didn't take the whole Kumamoto race, they really sucked. If Teshima didn't pull up Sakamichi from his slump, and Makishima didn't come back, they would've lost the second day. The "hime" song certainly did the trick, damn I never thought I would hear Kinjou and Imaizumi sing it, that was so hilarious:-D. Yoshimoto and the rest of the team didn't have that impact on this movie, in fact no one including Hakone considered them rivals. Sakamichi needs to pull man.

All in all, this was a good movie. But it didn't have that spirit from the second and first season.

8/10.
lihle808Oct 14, 2019 3:38 PM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 24, 2020 2:01 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Nice little movie show to me there. Such a fun moment. Surely will watch any of this series soon
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 30, 2021 8:47 AM

Apr 2018
I just watched it tho I saw season 2 in the 2018 summer so really liked it, the movie focus was shifted to friendship and other stuffs from pure cycling.

Apr 4, 2021 10:20 PM

May 2020
This movie was a blast to watch! It did feel rushed, especially when compared to the pacing of the show, but for an entire race being crammed into a single movie I don't think they could've done a better job. There were some really great cuts of animation that really stepped up the excitement of certain scenes too, which I thought the previous seasons were a bit devoid of. The updated tracks were great too; they sounded different enough but still distinctly YowaPeda. There wasn't really much substance to take away from this movie, but I really wasn't expecting any to begin with and it was absolutely great just seeing the characters interact with each other and just being themselves. Interestingly enough, one of my favorite scenes was just when KyoFushi and Hiroshima Kureminami boarded the train with Hakogaku on it.
Apr 18, 2021 8:49 PM

Jan 2013
watching this since i found out it was on CR and needed some refresher since S4 left us all hanging with the anime being in limbo for 500 years. and i must say...this series has a really good OST
that Hime singalong from the whole gang was the best and very wholesome lol
its a nice swansong for the third years especially for Makishima 8/10
dannymilkApr 18, 2021 9:09 PM
Jul 27, 2021 6:44 AM

Jul 2015
Refreshing to see a 'shorter' race again after the long ~40 eps Inter-high race. Not as good as the series but still nice well-animated movie especially with legendary moments of Nobu "copying" Midousuji and the whole team singing Love Hime!

Feb 2, 9:00 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
Every time I hear this abuabu guy I wanna blow my brains out. Jesus fucking christ.

More topics from this board

» im curre

CRG - Aug 2, 2023

0 by CRG »»
Aug 2, 2023 7:07 PM

» Promo/Preview (Update 9/8)

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2015

14 by supersesat »»
Nov 30, 2015 3:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.