Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 24, 2016 2:07 PM
Jan 2014
This was a great episode, the climax when he finally awakens his power was simply epic with great animation and an awesome soundtrack and the moment where All Might told him he passed and that the exam was also about spotting students who would risk their lives to save others was fantastic.
I'm hyped for this show.
Apr 24, 2016 2:27 PM
Apr 2014
OOOOOHHH that was even better than expected! The mangaka really got his feelings game down. It's incredible. And Bones production level delivers it well.

The moment after the fight was amazing. For a moment I thought that guy with glasses realized what was going on but he didn't quite get it right. Or at least he didn't came to the final conclusion. To think that Izuku was the only one who tried to save the girl... I mean he was closer than the rest but they were basically all running away. Even the strong guys.

And even the girl got enough points to pass. I guess it turned out perfect that Izuku hurt himself so much by saving her. Otherwise she might not have been able to get enough points. Really like this turn of events.
Apr 24, 2016 2:41 PM

Apr 2013
A bit cheesy and predictable, but enjoyable nonetheless. Hopefully though this doesn't become a circlejerk on how heroic the mc is compared to everyone else is" every episode.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Apr 24, 2016 2:59 PM

Jul 2014
This episode further lamented the one word I can use to describe this series: Uplifting. I feel like I should go watch Academia before starting my first day of work, meeting my girlfriend's parents or taking a really big shit. No really, sometimes you need the extra motivation...

Anyway, great show. Some aspects seem redundant but I love the endearing MC and music/animation. Looking forward to episode 5!
"Man always thinks about the past before he dies, as if he were frantically searching for proof that he truly lived." -Jet Black (Cowboy Bebop)
Apr 24, 2016 3:09 PM

Jul 2012
Whoa, I pictured Aoyama and Nedzu having higher pitched voices, and the old baba with a deeper voice.

o_O
Apr 24, 2016 3:25 PM

Apr 2015
The further into the anime we get, the more justified I feel In finding it pretty average.
Apr 24, 2016 3:35 PM

Oct 2011
All Might Speech OMFG T____T FEELS!!!!!

I cry when Deku cries OMFG
Apr 24, 2016 3:41 PM
Nov 2009
Bobby2Hands said:
Do they have to rebuild all those massive skyscrapers before the next set of students take the test?

Almost irrelevant spoiler: Did you see the judge with the square-like face? His hero name is Cementoss and his quirk, Cement, allows him to manipulate cement (duh!) and the like. He can probably reconstruct everything in a matter of hours.
Apr 24, 2016 3:51 PM
Jan 2014
How do you guys actually manage to get emotional during all these episodes? It's so forced and overdone. Like at least 50% of the runtime in each episode is forced melodrama scenes revolving around an MC I don't even like enough to cry for in the first place. I get it, he's a wimpy underdog and sometimes he does heroic things. Just because the show shoves that down my throat constantly isn't going to somehow make me feel for him.
Apr 24, 2016 4:06 PM
Feb 2010
ItsXolo said:
How do you guys actually manage to get emotional during all these episodes? It's so forced and overdone. Like at least 50% of the runtime in each episode is forced melodrama scenes revolving around an MC I don't even like enough to cry for in the first place. I get it, he's a wimpy underdog and sometimes he does heroic things. Just because the show shoves that down my throat constantly isn't going to somehow make me feel for him.
It's all in the execution, and the musical score.
The animation is perfect, the build up is also done flawlessly.

Remember, that's a shonen manga in Shonen Jump, they only wanted to do a great shonen by the book.
Apr 24, 2016 4:33 PM
Jul 2012
ItsXolo said:
He's actually not a wimpy underdog character after the first few chapters but 4 episodes in and they've only animated the first 4 chapters of a weekly manga so they are still showing weak pathetic crybaby Deku.
Apr 24, 2016 4:36 PM
Sep 2014
Tokoya said:
Nah, The Sports Festival is when it really starts to change

Well, most people would consider it one of the most cliche developments ever so I just skipped over it to find the next best one.
Apr 24, 2016 4:54 PM
Mar 2015
Fai said:
The more I think about it the more it is obvious that so far the whole show has been repeating same pattern:

- Have something happen
- Have MC feel bad and wimp out crying
- Cue forced emotional scene.

I have no idea why this episode took a whole episode - it was already obvious he passed. There was no need for the scene him pathetically crying in his room and all that shit .

This show just feels like it is searching for reasons to have MC cry so somebody else can have an uplifting speech to him so the narrative can shallowly try to tug at viewer emotions with manufactured drama. Removing that saves time and removing all sobbing makes MC more bearable and lets the show get to the point without the forced fluff faster.

Cant help but to agree with you
Apr 24, 2016 5:11 PM

Dec 2011
Can't wait for them to show the other classmates and the powers as well.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2016 5:57 PM

Oct 2013
Alright episode. Kinda hope this underdog phase dies out soon with the main character acting all wimpy and gloomy with his over exaggerated face. If it moves away from this boring drama phase then I can see this getting better. But for now this is average.
Apr 24, 2016 6:00 PM

May 2012
Awesome episode. I like how Uraraka recognized Izuku's efforts. I can't wait for the next episode.

Fai said:
This continues to be by-the-book derivative shonen filled with cliches beyond even definition of cringe.

Literally not even single thing in the episode surprised me and most of the time it felt like I am watching early Nardo episodes...and thats not a good thing for a show that is supposedly second coming of jesus christ.

The MC is still unbearably whiny and annoying tryhard goodie two shoes with no redeeming qualities, the world is still poorly fleshed out and boringly black and white (superheroes and villains y'all!) and there's nothing to make this different from ten thousand shonen shows that already exist.

If this was in anyway good show, we could maybe deal with the idea of destruction that "superheroes" cause and how unrealistically taxing it is for the normal people and the world. We would get actual politics and social commentary about idea of superhero and how nothing is clearcut black and white and how foolish the idea itself is, but nope. Instead we have annoying whiny crybaby trying to git gud for four episodes already. There's nothng even resembling plot or meta-commentary or mystery. Cringe, cringe cringe.

So far this feels like I watched the same episode four times. And there's no real feel or hook that would make this feel like it's own thing. Its hard to drop the show halfway but if next episode does not do anything interesting, this is it for me.

This takes the superhero coat and puts it on generic shonen narrative. It would not be as insulting if shows like Tiger&Bunny, Concrete Revolutio or Samurai Flamenco did not exist, or if Bones was not doing conrevo's second season right now, but the fact at how by the book straightforward this is is just so annoying. Watching something as generic and boring as this just after pondering deep philosophical questions and meta narrative presented in Conrevo episode and just as you are waiting for show of the season, Re:Zero is the worst.

2/5 for the episode.

Go back to Itsuwari no Kamen.
I despise woke people.
Apr 24, 2016 6:42 PM

Jan 2016
Another great episode.
Apr 24, 2016 6:53 PM

Jan 2015
YOO Midoriya looking OP as fuck with that ability!
He squeezed his ketsu no ana and yelled SMASHIII!!
Oh fuck he broke his body using All Might's power
He'll probably still pass, that big 0 point enemy might have the highest point or something.
AYYY MAH HOMIE MIDORAIYA PASSES! *claps*
Good episode, the emotions get through from this anime, sound animation art everything is good
3.1/5
P.S I think the pacing can get faster, it's slow but the episodes are not bad as the events are executed well.
Apr 24, 2016 7:30 PM

Dec 2012
Amazing OST and animation. But they really are doing this way too slow, this could have happened in half of an episode.

Doesn't this mean I won't see

Because that sucks.
tsudecimoApr 24, 2016 9:02 PM
Apr 24, 2016 7:36 PM

Jun 2010
Izuku's mom deserves an award, hands down best mom of the season.
It'll be hard to top Satoru's mom from last season's smash hit erased, but she definitely has her heart in the right place.

Now my hype can finally settle down, i was abstaining because i wanted to finish this arc with the anime since I started it from here, but now that its over i will begin my tradition of marathoning it as i do with anything shounen once i have caught up with the anime.
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Apr 24, 2016 7:57 PM

Oct 2012
Fai said:
This continues to be by-the-book derivative shonen filled with cliches beyond even definition of cringe.

Literally not even single thing in the episode surprised me and most of the time it felt like I am watching early Nardo episodes...and thats not a good thing for a show that is supposedly second coming of jesus christ.

The MC is still unbearably whiny and annoying tryhard goodie two shoes with no redeeming qualities, the world is still poorly fleshed out and boringly black and white (superheroes and villains y'all!) and there's nothing to make this different from ten thousand shonen shows that already exist.

If this was in anyway good show, we could maybe deal with the idea of destruction that "superheroes" cause and how unrealistically taxing it is for the normal people and the world. We would get actual politics and social commentary about idea of superhero and how nothing is clearcut black and white and how foolish the idea itself is, but nope. Instead we have annoying whiny crybaby trying to git gud for four episodes already. There's nothng even resembling plot or meta-commentary or mystery. Cringe, cringe cringe.

So far this feels like I watched the same episode four times. And there's no real feel or hook that would make this feel like it's own thing. Its hard to drop the show halfway but if next episode does not do anything interesting, this is it for me.

This takes the superhero coat and puts it on generic shonen narrative. It would not be as insulting if shows like Tiger&Bunny, Concrete Revolutio or Samurai Flamenco did not exist, or if Bones was not doing conrevo's second season right now, but the fact at how by the book straightforward this is is just so annoying. Watching something as generic and boring as this just after pondering deep philosophical questions and meta narrative presented in Conrevo episode and just as you are waiting for show of the season, Re:Zero is the worst.

2/5 for the episode.

I get it, you have a giant boner for Concrete Revolutio, but i don't see the need to try so hard to justify how much you dislike this anime. If its causing you that much anguish, then just drop it and move on.

Not everything has to be catered to you, obviously Concrete Revolutio isn't catered to everyone either. Its a good show, Honestly i feel Concrete Revolutio is a vastly underrated show (atleast MAL average wise), but its apples and oranges compared to Hero Academia. They're not the same type of show, and they're certainly not targeted to the same demographic.
Apr 24, 2016 8:19 PM

Jul 2009
Teako in the running for best girl
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Apr 24, 2016 8:30 PM

Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
Amazing OST and animation. But they really are doing this way too slow, this could have happened in half of an episode.

Because that sucks.

keragamming said:
Alright episode. Kinda hope this underdog phase dies out soon with the main character acting all wimpy and gloomy with his over exaggerated face. If it moves away from this boring drama phase then I can see this getting better. But for now this is average.

It won't get better. Just drop it.

Who said anything about dropping it? I'm no masochist , if it was that bad I would've drop it a long time ago. Lol Anyways thanks for clearing that up, so basically it's set in stone that this series will be average throughout. Ok, I'm cool with that.
Apr 24, 2016 8:49 PM

Apr 2015
that guy who shoot laser from his belt though... lol
ahh... in other to use her power, she must touch the object first... interesting...
the glasses guy looks cool...
Apr 24, 2016 8:59 PM
Aug 2015
It was sooo frustrating just watching Izuku sit there and panic, while everyone else were racking up villain points. I'm glad that there were rescue points though, or else Izuku would be screwed xD
Apr 24, 2016 9:01 PM

Jul 2013
tsudecimo said:

Because that sucks.

That happened in chapter 9 of the manga. Seems like they'll be adapting two chapters per episode from now based on the preview and the remaining chapters till the end of USJ arc, we should be getting to that in episode 7/8.

Apr 24, 2016 9:04 PM
Apr 2016
Great episode, I've read the manga before, but tears to my eyes once again. Fighto Deku!

Apr 24, 2016 9:11 PM

Nov 2014
why hate a character who cries a lot in the beginning? in every shounen story, they'll grow and lose that habit (cough vongola decimo Tsuna cough)

Xenocrisi said:
EasyGo-er said:

Read the bolded parts. We all know this will be getting more seasons.

Who knows it? Do you? Because I don't.

Season 2 coming in 2017.
ttcchenApr 24, 2016 9:18 PM
Apr 24, 2016 9:39 PM

Dec 2014
just a thought..will he die on the spot if he happens to use any muscle from his chest or any other muscle closer to any of his vital organs like what happened to his arm and legs...??

Apr 24, 2016 9:53 PM

Jan 2015
Lol "the nice person." Deku one of a kind.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Apr 24, 2016 9:59 PM

Nov 2014
GhostofSide6 said:
Waaaaait a sec...

So a character who is prominently green and is also often ridiculed for being powerless is trained by a charismatic teacher with a fearless smile who admires him for his perseverance, hard work, and courage, and acquires that teacher's signature ability, which grants him a huge power boost that severely hurts his own body. He only ever uses this ability for the sake of other people.

I now realize why i'm enjoying this series so much!
It's Rock Lee: The Anime! Holy shit!

I didn't see the similarity until you called it!
So Rock Lee now got his own anime. Also Crona from SE got Stray Dogs. I wonder who's next.

_Rodrigo said:
The episode was nice! Can anyone tell me if at some point the Anime gets darker, with deaths and things like that.

I don't think this season will have any dark moments. Season 2 definitely though. If you like dark, death and stuff, go watch Re: Zero, it's probably the darkest and most twisted anime this season (contrary to the harem-like cover image).

fatalystic said:
Tokoya said:
Nah, The Sports Festival is when it really starts to change
Well, most people would consider it one of the most cliche developments ever so I just skipped over it to find the next best one.
huh?

Fai said:
Not sure why you like Samurai Flamenco. The first half, I admit, is awesome and intriguing, but the second half is utter garbage.
"Re:Zero is the worst." How?
ttcchenApr 24, 2016 10:11 PM
Apr 24, 2016 10:17 PM

Jan 2015
This series is great, most motivating anime of the year!

2nd Jump heroine to vomit. xD
Apr 24, 2016 10:17 PM

Apr 2014
Wow.... I'm liking this 100x more than I thought I would. I'm really getting into this, I can't wait for next week!!
Apr 24, 2016 10:24 PM

Dec 2013
Janeel said:
just a thought..will he die on the spot if he happens to use any muscle from his chest or any other muscle closer to any of his vital organs like what happened to his arm and legs...??

It might be possible but I don't see a reason why Midoriya would be thrusting his chest at people.
Apr 24, 2016 10:33 PM

Dec 2014
G_Spark233 said:
Janeel said:

It might be possible but I don't see a reason why Midoriya would be thrusting his chest at people.
yea now that you mentioned that it's highly unlikely to happen

Apr 24, 2016 11:52 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Phenomenal episode. Just a perfect adaptation so far.

This was such a powerful episode, as Izuku again jumps in to save an innocent life without worrying about his own. Says a lot about his character and his sense of justice. And that's what I love about Izuku. The ending really put a smile on my face, it's so full of emotion and passion!

This show has been so terrific thus far, wonderful pacing to boot.

I love Izuku's mom! She's so cute and supportive!
Apr 24, 2016 11:53 PM

Jun 2014
I ALMOST SCREAMED. I am like beaming with pride and grinning like an idiot for this fuckin kid.
GO KID.

Also, his mom is so adorable. omg.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Apr 25, 2016 12:28 AM
Apr 2016
Great episode. It caught me deep inside. I cried in the second ep2. This ep also made me cry. The effort of a helpless boy in gaining his steps to be the greatest hero without giving up. They should keep up the pace in adapting the anime from manga. Great work.
Apr 25, 2016 12:58 AM
Oct 2012
I found the scene with Izuki and the Massive robot to be extremely weak compared to the manga. Episode was OK in my opinion.
Apr 25, 2016 1:59 AM

Apr 2013
ItsXolo said:
MC continues to be incredibly unlikable.

Honestly the show is getting difficult just to sit through.

I really don't understand what the author was thinking when he decided "Yeah I'll make the MC of my battle shounen be a constant crying, nervous, shaky mess in literally every scene that he has. That'll make people like him!"

I mean I guess he was hoping that we would sympathize with him and want to see him succeed, but all it's done for me is make it so I can't stand it any time he's on screen, which almost the whole show.

The production values are great and all, but it's really wasted on this source material.

People keep saying this as if they don't expect some kid with no superpowers that wants to be a hero growing up in a world filled with them to develop a massive inferiority complex. Or are you all just so used to seeing "weak wimpy shounen protagonists" that any character that fits those characteristics regardless of context is immediately annoying and irredeemable? Christ you people are so contrarian it's just comical.

"A couple of episodes" isn't really a fair metric by which you should measure when all shows show "their true colors." The three-episode rule tends to be fairly consistent but with a show as slowly paced as this, based off an ongoing WSJ manga no less, I don't see how you can jump to the conclusion that he's a wimp before the story even has a chance to establish itself.

ItsXolo said:

... Because not everyone is you? Is it so hard to understand that some people might get emotional when watching things while others don't? At first I thought you were just somebody who didn't like the show which is perfectly fine, but now I know you're just an asshole.
meltenvyApr 25, 2016 2:11 AM
おれはPigAmericanです
おれはばか

i am average american man i enjoy
bad game runescape
Apr 25, 2016 2:32 AM

May 2012
ItsXolo said:

Why not just drop the anime? I'm pretty sure you're watching just because "it's a popular anime". It's pointless to watch it if can't like the characters and how the story is done.
I despise woke people.
Apr 25, 2016 2:49 AM

Feb 2012
mrkm said:
People keep saying this as if they don't expect some kid with no superpowers that wants to be a hero growing up in a world filled with them to develop a massive inferiority complex. .

We do understand why he is like this.
But understanding = / = not annoying.

I understand why mosquitoes bite us, but that's still annoying as f*ck.
Apr 25, 2016 2:59 AM

Jun 2013
this episode was just amazing and that sucker punch to the face of the robot
Apr 25, 2016 3:52 AM

Apr 2013
OmniKaiser said:
mrkm said:
People keep saying this as if they don't expect some kid with no superpowers that wants to be a hero growing up in a world filled with them to develop a massive inferiority complex. .

We do understand why he is like this.
But understanding = / = not annoying.

I understand why mosquitoes bite us, but that's still annoying as f*ck.

If Midoriya were to not be a wimp you do realize that would require a major re-structuring of the plot, right? It would turn out way different. Without his cowardice there is no wall to overcome, and overall it would just remove the human element from Midoriya that makes it easier to empathize with him. It's because he's a coward that can't confidently overcome any obstacle that myself and a lot of people like him and it naturally makes people want to root for him. It would end up being a lot less emotionally impactful. A confident protagonist would certainly be less annoying for some, but personally I'd find it equally more boring at the same time.

Like, I'd rather watch an underdog struggle and angst (maybe, depends on writing) than a naturally, incredibly talented person steamroll others, though that form of writing does have its own appeal. Souma does the steamrolling thing in an entertaining fashion that I can get behind, whereas shit like SAO just annoys the fuck out of me infinitely more than the "wimpy protagonists" cliche.
meltenvyApr 25, 2016 4:00 AM
おれはPigAmericanです
おれはばか

i am average american man i enjoy
bad game runescape
Apr 25, 2016 3:55 AM

Jan 2013
keragamming said:

y he moves on so you wont have to deal with scenes like those anymore , in fact mc is gonna be pretty impressive from now on since despite his power he is gonna put a lot work in strategy on how to use it
Apr 25, 2016 4:14 AM

May 2014
Best episode so far :o
Was about to drop this at episode 2 but I'm glad I didn't
Apr 25, 2016 4:38 AM
Sep 2014

The school festival is a tournament arc, which is pretty much a mainstay of WSJ series. I can guarantee that there'll be people kicking up a huge fuss over it, saying it's shit and bemoaning the lack of anything new under the sun.
Apr 25, 2016 4:39 AM

Feb 2012
mrkm said:
If Midoriya were to not be a wimp you do realize that would require a major re-structuring of the plot, right? It would turn out way different. Without his cowardice there is no wall to overcome, and overall it would just remove the human element from Midoriya that makes it easier to empathize with him. It's because he's a coward that can't confidently overcome any obstacle that myself and a lot of people like him and it naturally makes people want to root for him. It would end up being a lot less emotionally impactful. A confident protagonist would certainly be less annoying for some, but personally I'd find it equally more boring at the same time.

Like, I'd rather watch an underdog struggle and angst (maybe, depends on writing) than a naturally, incredibly talented person steamroll others, though that form of writing does have its own appeal. Souma does the steamrolling thing in an entertaining fashion that I can get behind, whereas shit like SAO just annoys the fuck out of me infinitely more than the "wimpy protagonists" cliche.

I understand. And I prefer seeing that kind of protagonist too.
I just say that 20 min of whining everytime is a bit too much. There could be scenes where he interacts with people more (well maybe not in the exam part, though) and where he isn't like this.
I mean even the dialog scenes with Bakugou or his mother are like this :/ It's not only when he faces dangerous/dramatic scenes/situations
Apr 25, 2016 4:54 AM

Nov 2014
I couldn't focus on the story... I was just staring at his right arm... ARG it looked so painful!
Well I was expecting him to kill the 0 point hero and get accepted even though. But it was still awesome!

Apr 25, 2016 4:59 AM

Dec 2014
I zuku you go dude... It takes gut to control your fear and try your hardest
Pages (9) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - May 29, 2016

216 by Mortal150 »»
Yesterday, 7:06 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 22, 2016

262 by CoolAnimeWatcher »»
May 10, 10:15 AM

» Useless Quirk Theory

Sir_Zedmore - May 4

17 by MYZS-Chist »»
May 9, 8:27 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 26, 2016

438 by TheVistrian »»
May 3, 6:24 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2016

334 by TheVistrian »»
May 3, 6:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.