Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 7, 2016 2:20 PM

Jul 2013
Have you been diagnosed with it? Or do you believe you have it?

So, through the disability process I found that I was diagnosed with panic disorder (with agoraphobia). I'm not sure how the agoraphobia part works since I can get out of the house (mind you, I only get out twice a week at MOST - and one of those is for doctors appointments, and I rarely spend time alone). Maybe it's an error? Or maybe agoraphobia manifests in different ways? I'm not sure what to think of it.

Thoughts? Discussions?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 7, 2016 2:24 PM

Jul 2013
Actually doing research on it now...

This site has a lot of interesting info. http://www.anxietycoach.com/agoraphobia.html
People often think Agoraphobia means "housebound", but that's just a really severe case of it. It's more common to have a variety of avoidances, and also maintain one's work, school, or other responsibilities, although with lots of difficulty. However, agoraphobic people can become housebound if they continue to shrink their "safe zone" until it doesn't extend beyond their front porch or living room.

So I guess my diagnosis is accurate. I had no idea. Great.
VokiApr 7, 2016 2:29 PM
Apr 7, 2016 7:27 PM

Apr 2012
I never been officially diagnosed with anything. To be honest, I have no idea how to get one, either. I went to my GP and said I have social anxiety problems and he just took my word for it. I went to a psychologist and ask to be tested like some psychologists/psychiatrists do in NZ with their 300 questions questionairre and the shrink just said 'we have no such thing'. All papers regarding mental diseases are discarded easily as if they're scraps. I'm starting to believe that this country don't give 2 shites about mental illness.

From my own research though, I know I definitely have anger issues. I'm not sure about agoraphobia, cos like you (Vokisa), I can go out of my room, though very rarely. And half of the time I do go out, I end up running back into my room within 30 mins. I do know for sure that I feel extremely uncomfortable getting near people let alone talk to them. On cases when I do go out and see a lot of people, I can feel the anger build up but at the same time, so does anxiety (those fucking stares from people causes this, I reckon). I also get anxious and panic attacks (if that) when certain things happen. When I write comments (like this one) online, I also get scared of the replies/reactions/people's responses.

So if this can also be considered agoraphobia then I guess I also have it.
MumeiHikkiApr 7, 2016 7:36 PM
''俺はいつになったら自由になれるんだろう…''
Apr 7, 2016 9:05 PM

Mar 2008
I always thought agoraphobics are too scared to leave their house and panic if they go outside. Im a bit confused now.

I keep a certain distance from my house if I am by myself or else I start feeling uncomfortable that i might get lost or something would happen at home when im not there.
Apr 8, 2016 7:03 AM

Jul 2013
I just made a strawpoll. Thought it might be interesting to see how people in this club answer. And it's anonymous so maybe it'll make people more comfortable.
http://strawpoll.me/7313206

(I'll respond to you guys a bit later today. Got a skype call atm)
Apr 8, 2016 10:30 AM
Jun 2015
Sekai1ban said:
I also get anxious and panic attacks (if that) when certain things happen. When I write comments (like this one) online, I also get scared of the replies/reactions/people's responses.

I used to be like that for a long time, but once I started to post more frequently I cared less about replies/responses. The internet is anonymous after all. :p
Apr 10, 2016 9:56 PM

Mar 2008
I dont get anxiety unless I am alone or in large groups of people.
Apr 13, 2016 4:22 AM

Jul 2013
The scenario that makes me the least anxious, is for me to be alone in my room. I always joke about how I could lead a content and happy life being a hermit at home, but in reality, that probably would make me most comfortable. I only get panic attacks in my room if I'm thinking about something having to do with the outside world. Or if I'm talking to people I know IRL about certain things. If it were acceptable for me to be a complete shut-in, I think my anxiety would go down a lot.
Apr 13, 2016 7:31 PM

Mar 2008
I couldn't stand being stuck inside forever if I was without friends to hang out with me or a gf to cuddle up with.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» How many of you like the outdoors or nature?

traed - Aug 7, 2023

11 by Laniakea- »»
Dec 1, 2023 7:49 AM

» What do you practice and learn?

Butterfly_White - Mar 13, 2023

6 by Otakulover99 »»
Nov 6, 2023 2:35 AM

» how do u guys make money?

hik1komori - Apr 21, 2022

17 by MumeiHikki »»
Sep 24, 2023 10:39 PM

» How much do you care about your personal hygiene?

removed-user - May 13, 2015

19 by traed »»
Jun 29, 2023 1:11 AM

» Have you chosen your nick?

Heko - Mar 20, 2015

27 by water_my_melons »»
Jun 20, 2023 8:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.