Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 2010 7:06 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The most amazing thing about this movie to me was the fact that they encapsulated the entire 26 episode series into seamless a 3 hour movie that can "Stand Alone". That's magic.
May 9, 2010 8:51 PM
Mar 2010
Truly a great movie, although its so complex i can hardly understand it all. Now time to finish the series.
Dec 12, 2010 12:08 PM

Mar 2009
I enjoyed it, though it's better to watch the whole series if you can. They did a great job of converting a show into a long movie, however they had to cut out a lot of really good stuff to make it possible. The only really disappointment is the new dub which is unnecessary since the series has one of the best dubs outside of Ghibli films and annoying since the new dub, while not bad, is nowhere near as good.
Apr 28, 2011 3:40 AM

Feb 2010
True, a lot of nice scenes and subplots being left out, but still, it presents the case of the Laughing Man rather nicely.
The use of the soundtracks was nice as well, listening to Bang Bang Banquet and Velveteen, for example, made me smile, stop the movie and listen to the tracks for a while before continuing watching.

It's something you can watch on a long night with friends that can keep you hooked rather than something that forces you to stand up again and again to swap discs and keeps you in front of the TV for a whole day.

I really can't decide what Box to go for, though, series or movie, its a difficult question which can only end with acquiring both in the end *laughs*

btw, the Tachikoma-sacrifice-scene always brings me to tears - weird, isn't it?
Sep 30, 2011 7:01 PM

Sep 2009
A very well done rendition of the series.
Well played GiTS.
Well played.
Jan 11, 2012 7:16 PM

Jul 2009
really really love it :)

i like how the side events where shown seamlessly and natural.

they also removed pretty much every filler(tachikoma's adventure, the malfunctioning products of some company etc)

i also understand alot of things more clearly like the facility incident and how that robot turned into a statue.

im guessing Aoi either hacked it or it made Togusa eyes appear it was real.

also it give me a clear that Aoi was forced to be "The Laughing Man" and is pissed that the copycats are giving him a bad reputation and eventually being blame despite there wasn't an "The Laughing Man" to begin with.

it also made me remember that Aoi actually discovered the email from Salinger who was the original "The Laughing Man"

pretty amazing stuff and love every second of it :P

the only thing i was disappointed is that they didn't show the final scene where the man that killed Naoki supposedly killed the congressman or something.

also no CGI opening but i think it fits better if they left it out.

all in all amazing film and definitely one of my top favorite anime's ever made :)

cannot wait to watch Season 2, i specifically finish this after a finishing the first season few months earlier.
Feb 18, 2013 8:09 AM

May 2012
Great way, this really is amazing how they managed to put almost everything in 2:40 hours, they sure put the most important things and cut out the boring parts out so this special movie really made the series a + in global as I found that the series was rather boring mainly...

So this special movie really got me the whole story over once again and managed me to actually enjoy the series! 7/10
Sep 8, 2014 9:53 AM

Mar 2013
It was good. No new scenes or anything. I didn't like some of the changes to the music played during certain scenes though.

9/10
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Dec 4, 2014 9:20 PM

Jan 2013
No new scenes and not really a replacement for the series. However, seeing the main points of the arc together helped me pick up on some points that I glossed over during the series. It helps having the information presented in one sitting in this case. The end when they talk of how society is set up to facilitate copies making originals and how they call this the Stand Alone Complex became easier to see in the overall theme; it connects the Laughing Man and Tachikoma arcs.
phantom19Nov 16, 2015 7:26 AM
-Nothing can stay unchanged. Even so, can you still keep on loving this place?

-Be still my soul; when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last.
Feb 16, 2017 6:04 PM

Apr 2012
This has grown on me but it's far too long.

Still don't understand the logic behind the sacrifice of Section 9. Aramaki made a deal with the PM and so they had to fight for their lives, killing loads of innocent law enforcement officers along the way to achieve...? Why did Section 9 need to be scapegoated exactly?

Also Kusanagi's quite annoyingly self-satisfied in this series :P
Feb 28, 2017 1:51 PM

Feb 2013
It was just as I expected, really boring.
Aug 10, 2017 12:39 AM
Oct 2016
Ulquiorra said:

Well you're a f*cking retard then...
Aug 10, 2017 3:10 AM

Feb 2013
NeonCountess said:
Ulquiorra said:

Well you're a f*cking retard then...

Chill out man, it's not like you can't enjoy an anime that someone else doesn't like.
Sep 25, 2017 6:48 PM

Apr 2012
Blackouting said:
Still don't understand the logic behind the sacrifice of Section 9. Aramaki made a deal with the PM and so they had to fight for their lives, killing loads of innocent law enforcement officers along the way to achieve...? Why did Section 9 need to be scapegoated exactly?

STILL don't get this.

Nor why Batou went to Motoko's safehouse (to get her watch?!), coldbloodedly murdering loads of soldiers who clearly didn't want to kill him and were just doing their job. Along with having the Tachis sacrifice themselves for him. Just a dumb move dude.

Meanwhile Motoko's standing there egging them on to kamikaze themselves. "Oh, the Tachicomas have ghosts. That's sweet and interesting. Would be cool if you all killed yourselves right now while I watch, rather than help. Yeah that was cool" :P

That last quote-off is still far too pretentious, even for me.
Aug 12, 2020 7:22 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Certainly made things a lot more understandable, this OVA. Impressive how they managed to compile all of the Laughing Man incident/details in just under 3 hours to boot, so a very nice experience all round to be frank.

A few things, and in particular @Blackouting's point, is still a little hard to comprehend but I suppose it isn't too significant in the grand scheme of things. From what I understood, the Chief resorted, opting for the last resort as they say, to forcing the PM to act against the corrupted leader by "scapegoating" Section 9 while believing that his members will be able to live through. And somehow they do just that and resume normal services except for the fact that they're more unknown to the public since, as per official records, they're captured/deceased.

Batou and the other hacker, aside from the Major, killing soldiers but getting excused for those deeds definitely doesn't sit right with me as well, however...
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 10, 2021 4:17 PM

Sep 2011
Finished the original season 8 years ago. Realizing that I dont remember a single thing about it, I decided to watch this compilation film.

Aaaaand guess what, I still didn't understand many things :D
Also those philosophical references made it even more complex.
But I like the movie and soundtracks anyway :)
Mar 22, 2022 8:09 PM
Mar 2019
If you want the real full story watch the series, otherwise a good condensed version.
Took a while to get round to this as i could still remember the series, still enjoyed the ride.

More topics from this board

» Order to watch Arise? Which version is best? Few other questions about GiTS anime, please help if you have the time

StevePen387 - Sep 4, 2015

2 by StevePen387 »»
Oct 6, 2015 5:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.