Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 21, 2016 3:49 PM
Apr 2013
I recently discovered that Senjou no Valkyria had an anime adaptation, and have just finished watching the first five episodes of the show. So far, I am finding the adaptation enjoyable, and quite close to the game in terms of tone and plot.

However, I am reminded of a question that frequently bothered me throughout my play-throughs of the game: For an ostensibly military force, why is the Militia's discipline so incredibly lacking? A major early plot point is the refusal by the senior noncoms (Largo and Rosie) to obey their new lieutenant (Welkin), as well as a refusal to serve with an ethnic minority Darcsen (Isara). To acquire their compliance, Welkin chooses to make a gamble based on the outcome of the next day's operation, which proves successful. My question is, however, why there seems to be no response or discipline enforced against the two noncoms, who by refusing to follow their officer arguably committed mutiny, and almost certainly could be found to be derelict in the execution of their duties.

Strangely enough, this trend doesn't seem entirely confined to the Gallian militia. During the repulse of General Damon's failed attack on the Imperial supply route through the forest in episode 4, one of the under-officers in the Imperial Army questions General Gregor's orders to his face. This seems like a sign of some sort of major breakdown in discipline within the Imperial command structure, yet Gregor seems to find it unremarkable and doesn't enforce discipline on the officer in any way obvious.

Finally, it seems that the Gallian armed forces have been coed for a long time, since Captain Varrot is a veteran of the previous war, and nobody finds the presence of a sizable body of female soldiery in the Militia worth note. That said, Faldio (a junior officer) commits multiple acts of sexual harassment throughout episodes 4 and 5 against Alicia, a noncom. This seems like a severe breach of some sort of fraternization regulation, and certainly a court martial-able offense. How do you feel that Faldio's content fits into what appears to be a well-regulated armed force?
You say tomato, I say horrible murder by Gibbering Horrors That Should Not Be. Simple pronunciation difference, really.
May 4, 2016 12:36 PM

Nov 2013
Aleksai said:
I recently discovered that Senjou no Valkyria had an anime adaptation, and have just finished watching the first five episodes of the show. So far, I am finding the adaptation enjoyable, and quite close to the game in terms of tone and plot.

However, I am reminded of a question that frequently bothered me throughout my play-throughs of the game: For an ostensibly military force, why is the Militia's discipline so incredibly lacking? A major early plot point is the refusal by the senior noncoms (Largo and Rosie) to obey their new lieutenant (Welkin), as well as a refusal to serve with an ethnic minority Darcsen (Isara). To acquire their compliance, Welkin chooses to make a gamble based on the outcome of the next day's operation, which proves successful. My question is, however, why there seems to be no response or discipline enforced against the two noncoms, who by refusing to follow their officer arguably committed mutiny, and almost certainly could be found to be derelict in the execution of their duties.

Strangely enough, this trend doesn't seem entirely confined to the Gallian militia. During the repulse of General Damon's failed attack on the Imperial supply route through the forest in episode 4, one of the under-officers in the Imperial Army questions General Gregor's orders to his face. This seems like a sign of some sort of major breakdown in discipline within the Imperial command structure, yet Gregor seems to find it unremarkable and doesn't enforce discipline on the officer in any way obvious.

Finally, it seems that the Gallian armed forces have been coed for a long time, since Captain Varrot is a veteran of the previous war, and nobody finds the presence of a sizable body of female soldiery in the Militia worth note. That said, Faldio (a junior officer) commits multiple acts of sexual harassment throughout episodes 4 and 5 against Alicia, a noncom. This seems like a severe breach of some sort of fraternization regulation, and certainly a court martial-able offense. How do you feel that Faldio's content fits into what appears to be a well-regulated armed force?

You make some good points. Best answer I can give to Nr. 1 is:

He could have reported the two and they would most likely be punished, but that would be pretty boring. New Guy uses a daredevil tactic and gains trust makes a better and more interesting story. I don't remember episode 4, so I can't say much about that. But Gregor has a pretty big ego. Maybe he just ignores the criticism. And to Faldio: that occurs in some military fiction and isn't really addressed there either. Finally, I have to say, it's fiction. Don't think too much about it.
TheBigGuyMay 4, 2016 12:46 PM
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi

More topics from this board

» is the story complete in anime form?

NaughtySempai - Feb 2

8 by NaughtySempai »»
Feb 3, 3:29 AM

» Never got dubbed?

searingdark - Sep 15, 2023

3 by Levo »»
Oct 26, 2023 4:12 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

daniking79 - Jul 4, 2009

76 by SSGHOKAGE »»
May 16, 2023 8:53 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

japanme32 - Apr 11, 2009

101 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:26 PM

Poll: » Valkyria Chronicles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

hazelnutman - Apr 4, 2009

156 by YabaniMario »»
Apr 11, 2023 7:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.