Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 12, 2016 8:20 PM

Nov 2015
I heard that this is supposed to be drama/romance heavy and that's exactly what I'm looking for. I need a feels trip. I watched the first episode and it's alright. Does the romance get tense later on?
fuck
Jan 12, 2016 8:23 PM

Aug 2012
Well you're barely on the first episode. Yes in case you need the reassurance.
Jan 20, 2016 2:35 PM

Nov 2012
I'm just confused if this is still meant to be on Netflix, or if there is some sort of Canada divide or what.
Jaywalker.
Jan 20, 2016 2:38 PM

Jul 2015
Holo is bae .

That's all .
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Jan 21, 2016 11:48 AM

Nov 2015
I actually finished both season 1 and 2 and I have to say I did not get the romance fix I was looking for. While this is a good anime it's not what I was looking for. I don't understand why this is considered romance. They just tease you throughout the entire thing and then leave you with that horrible ending because they couldn't be bothered to continue the adaptation. Also the drama aspect in this show is very lacking. This is more of a show you can sit back and relax to, not something that would keep you on the edge of your seat.
fuck
Feb 2, 2016 1:45 PM

Mar 2008
This has romance but not drama/feels. IIRC it's based on a light novel so maybe LN focused on romance more.
Feb 2, 2016 8:28 PM
Aug 2009
You guys sure have odd standards for romance and drama. What would have made it a romance, if not two people traveling together as they slowly fall in love? Is them finally accepting their relationship at the end of the anime not good enough? And what was lacking about the drama?
Does a show have to be nothing but people dying in each other's arms to be a "drama" or something?

All jokes aside, if I had to hazard a guess, I think it's people who care less about the journey and more about the ultimate ending who will find both aspects disappointing... especially those who are unwilling to read the light novels afterwards to get the ultimate ending of this story.
Feb 9, 2016 1:08 PM

Nov 2015
BashZeStampeedo said:
You guys sure have odd standards for romance and drama. What would have made it a romance, if not two people traveling together as they slowly fall in love? Is them finally accepting their relationship at the end of the anime not good enough? And what was lacking about the drama?
Does a show have to be nothing but people dying in each other's arms to be a "drama" or something?

All jokes aside, if I had to hazard a guess, I think it's people who care less about the journey and more about the ultimate ending who will find both aspects disappointing... especially those who are unwilling to read the light novels afterwards to get the ultimate ending of this story.

I didn't feel any intense emotions watching this show. I don't need to explain in words why I didn't. I only need to know that it did not impact me a whole lot.
fuck
Feb 9, 2016 1:21 PM

Dec 2015
No intense emotions really ?

Personally I was so fucking pissed during the duel "arc" in Season 2 that I feared it would affect my mood in general, that's just how attached I had grown toward the 2 main characters along the journey.
Feb 9, 2016 1:26 PM

Jun 2014
KingRequiem said:
No intense emotions really ?

Personally I was so fucking pissed during the duel "arc" in Season 2 that I feared it would affect my mood in general, that's just how attached I had grown toward the 2 main characters along the journey.

Holyshit this, man i know how you felt, this was so annoying, this thing literally affected me irl because i was so pissed
Feb 11, 2016 10:25 AM
Aug 2009
Aszalee said:
I didn't feel any intense emotions watching this show. I don't need to explain in words why I didn't. I only need to know that it did not impact me a whole lot.

I don't see how you not feeling intense emotions means the drama was lacking. Drama is about evoking emotions, but not necessarily intense ones. In fact in many cases it's counter-productive to try too hard to pull stronger emotions out of a viewer than is justified by the script.

Regardless, there were several scenes in Spice and Wolf that were quite dramatic, so I have to wonder why you didn't feel any emotions. Perhaps you just didn't identify with the characters? Hard to say.
Feb 14, 2016 9:17 PM

Nov 2015
BashZeStampeedo said:
Aszalee said:

I don't see how you not feeling intense emotions means the drama was lacking. Drama is about evoking emotions, but not necessarily intense ones. In fact in many cases it's counter-productive to try too hard to pull stronger emotions out of a viewer than is justified by the script.

Regardless, there were several scenes in Spice and Wolf that were quite dramatic, so I have to wonder why you didn't feel any emotions. Perhaps you just didn't identify with the characters? Hard to say.

Nothing crazy happened. Nothing dramatic happened. The most intense moment in the whole series is when the guy is in that auction bullshit and he thinks holo left him for that dumb kid. And the entire time you're just thinking, what the fuck holo? And then you're like oh okay.

I didn't cry. I didn't laugh.

I liked the show, don't get me wrong. The characters are great, the atmosphere is good, but the storyline is lacking. They could have at least showed them kissing more throughout the series. That kiss at the end was the worst and most anti climactic kiss I've ever seen in my entire life. Very poorly executed scene and when I saw them finally kiss (which was really just a one sided peck) and the unemotional response after I was incredibly disappointed.
fuck
Feb 14, 2016 10:31 PM
Aug 2009
Aszalee said:
Nothing crazy happened. Nothing dramatic happened.

Huh?

Isn't that plenty dramatic and "crazy"? I mean, it's a story about two very lonely people who clearly aren't normal enough to have a normal relationship. It's neither out to make you cry, nor a comedy out to make you laugh, but there is still quite a bit of intensity for a show with an economics bent.

Heck, even the kiss that everyone loves to hate is actually a fine ending if you're not hoping they'll break character just to give you a schmaltzy fairy tale ending or something:

I can understand being disappointed that it didn't wrap things up in a perfect bow, but all things considered it's still pretty solid if you aren't ignoring the subtext.
Aug 17, 2018 2:54 AM
Sep 2017
Save yourself time and listen don't watch this anime anything is better than this piece of trash
Aug 17, 2018 2:59 AM

Apr 2016
Yes you will do yourself good when you watch this anime, not many anime shows are better than this piece of art.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Asako - Feb 19, 2008

154 by 0451 »»
May 14, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Pokedude97 - Jun 2, 2008

134 by 0451 »»
May 13, 10:55 AM

» DVD-Only Episode and Episode Count

Vince - Mar 25, 2008

28 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 11, 6:22 AM

» Vintage over modernity

JustSomeone15 - Apr 10

33 by animejas »»
May 7, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Feb 14, 2008

189 by 0451 »»
May 6, 10:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.