Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 14, 2015 1:54 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was as tense as it can get

Pretty fast paced and a little bit of man tears shed as well. This definitely lived up to my expectations though. I feel like both episodes carried the match quite well. They're not very similar but imo, both of their performance in that match were great.

Jun 14, 2015 4:21 AM

Oct 2014
Best episode yet the preveiw for next episode shows it going to be a really rough match that maruo will really have to almost kill himself to get
Jun 14, 2015 4:24 AM

Oct 2014
Is it just me, or is there a big production error with kageyama and yukichi??

That was really bad...
Jun 14, 2015 4:53 AM

Mar 2012
Final set ahoy! I feel a grueling tiebreak is right around the corner. Breaking Araya again will be insanely difficult. I could only see Maruo doing it once and if he does, it'll probably be to break back in case he gets broken once in the final set. Either way, I'm even more pumped for the next episode than I was for this one! ^^
Jun 14, 2015 5:20 AM

May 2012
Did anyone notice that around 4:11, Terashima Takuma (Kageyama) was the one talking but Yukichi's the one who's opening his mouth in the animation. And while Shimono Hiro (Yukichi) was talking, Kageyama's mouth was moving.

Sorry, but did you get what I'm talking about? In short, I'm talking about how the one they had a mistake in this episode :D And I found it rare? Not sure.
Jun 14, 2015 5:24 AM

Aug 2010
I just love NacchanxMaruo :3 Their stare at eachother when she arrived after winning was so cute <3 And so was her "It'll be Daijobu, he's having fun" ^^ It's awesome that she's watching the match.

Lol at how the audience kept praising her abilities and then the random guy "And she's cute" XD

Gotta love how Araya admitted this is his best match til now since he's learning all his weaknesses and having the chance to fix them. Cool stuff there.

Last set was intense as hell in the manga. Can't wait for Maruo's Z!! :P
Jun 14, 2015 6:23 AM
Nov 2008
First time I ever saw an error like this: using a diffent character voice instead of the correct one: Kageyama and Yukichi
Jun 14, 2015 6:38 AM
Jul 2014
I love matches like this because it's hard to predict how they will end. Will it be his promise with Nat-chan to win together that will triumph, or will Maruo need to lose against a top 8 japan player in order to find the strength to improve even more? Either way, this last set is guaranteed to be crazy.
Jun 14, 2015 6:39 AM

May 2012
_Legna_ said:
First time I ever saw an error like this: using a diffent character voice instead of the correct one: Kageyama and Yukichi

YEAH! That's what I was talking about! :)
Jun 14, 2015 8:54 AM

Jun 2014
keeps getting better
:3
Jun 14, 2015 11:13 AM

Nov 2010
Such a great match and ofc there will be a great ending for it, i think.

I'm loving it so far.
Jun 14, 2015 12:52 PM

Jun 2014
sugoi
baby steps never disappoints

and who cares about the swapped voices, no one remembers the real voices of those side characters anyway
Jun 14, 2015 1:11 PM

Apr 2014
Ahhhhhhh
This episode was so goooooood *__*

Only complaint is how the ball was animated against the backgrounds -- sometimes what is happening on screen doesn't fit with what the characters are telling us. "That was a fault!" (Ball is clearly in.) That bit with the wrongly called ball should have looked close but I was all, What???

Ahhhh, but whatever. SO excited for next week. I know what's gonna happen but DOESN'T MATTER this is a good adaptation, good show. We're blessed for its existence.

rozz627 said:
Is it just me, or is there a big production error with kageyama and yukichi??

That was really bad...
Ah, I noticed that too! Yuikichi's voice came out of Kageyama's mouth.(≧∇≦)
Jun 14, 2015 3:08 PM
Jul 2018
Maruo won the second set.

Araya learning all his weakness and trying to fix them.
Jun 14, 2015 6:48 PM

Oct 2013
Lol I'm still laughing at the voicing mistake! Hahaha, anyways, Ei-chan is holding up pretty well but he'll have to play hard once Araya gets used to Ei-chan's manipulation of pace
Jun 14, 2015 11:05 PM

Apr 2013
"AND SHE'S CUTE" lol'd

cant wait to see the last set.
Jun 14, 2015 11:09 PM

Jan 2014
Good episode, I would've liked faster pacing though. 3 episodes for one match is meh.
I love my gurlz
Jun 15, 2015 2:16 AM

Nov 2014
The tense increases every second, pretty impressive development from both of the players.
Final set is next episode! I can't imagine the tension.
Jun 15, 2015 7:11 AM

Sep 2014
I love how consistently great each episode of Baby Steps is. Maruo finally overcoming Araya's left-handedness, atleast sorta, even wining the second set! Can't wait to see if he wins the finals or not.
Jun 15, 2015 3:32 PM

Jun 2013
lol at that voicing error
Jun 15, 2015 5:17 PM

Jan 2013
Great episode, this game is going on awhile. Can't wait for more romance progression.
Jun 15, 2015 8:16 PM

Oct 2011
Awesome match
Jun 16, 2015 7:27 PM

Jul 2014
This show has turned into garbage. 3 episodes (at least) to show one match. That is LONGER than it would be to watch the real match. Why does a show that started with 1/4 to 1/2 episodes matches that had a fairly intelligent story and plot turn into garbage meant for idiotic little boys?
Jun 17, 2015 6:20 PM

Jul 2010
Please Maruo win!
As I guessed it's 3 episodes long, fair enough.
Jun 18, 2015 3:51 AM

May 2012
PanaRin said:
On the minute 4'10 - 4'12 , the voices of Kageyama and the guy who calls " Aniki " to Maruo are reversed . It's a serious wrong during the dubbing.
Anyone else had noticed?

Yeah, I posted my comment above the thread :) But I think it's not the dubber's fault. You see, most of the times, voice actors dub the scene without animation. So they're just reading what's on the script without seeing the animated scene. Maybe the animators made a mistake.
Jun 20, 2015 12:18 AM

Apr 2014
Sokah said:
This show has turned into garbage. 3 episodes (at least) to show one match. That is LONGER than it would be to watch the real match. Why does a show that started with 1/4 to 1/2 episodes matches that had a fairly intelligent story and plot turn into garbage meant for idiotic little boys?
Are u ok
Jun 21, 2015 2:06 PM

Oct 2014
Intense episode, damn this match is really good.

Craving to watch how it will turn out :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 21, 2015 5:01 PM
Sep 2012
Sokah said:

a 3 set match doesn´t take 1 hour to finish though more like around 2 hours it can take up to 3 hours if the players are unlucky. I would say that it makes perfekt sense to show more of the matches the more important they get and I don´t really have an issue with it, that might be because I watch tennis a lot though
Jun 22, 2015 2:04 PM

Nov 2010
Hurray to Natsu for winning her tournament!
Maruo versus Araya was great to follow along with it's inner thoughts
Mar 3, 2016 5:21 AM

Aug 2013
The final set is here... yoshhhh.
Almost halfway through this series..
I wonder where Ei-chan will reach by the end.
It's still rematches and old rivals now.
May 12, 2016 10:42 PM

Dec 2012
This match is great so far.Maruo won the set and it was intense. Loved this episode
Natsu destroyed her opponent ><
Sep 23, 2016 11:36 PM

Nov 2011
Barion-Zara said:
Lol at how the audience kept praising her abilities and then the random guy "And she's cute" XD

I am here to comment this ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Mar 13, 2018 7:41 AM

Jun 2016
One episode per set, that's reasonable and it's paced well. Both sets have been intense and based around learning a new lesson. Last's major one was learning to deal with a left handed opponent, this one was about Maruo learning how to fight against a pacing based player by going hyper aggressive. Araya has not only compared Maruo to Ike but he's now put him on the same level as Takuma as one of the only people to make him try his hardest. Araya holds him so highly.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... Release the anger unto the sky."
This is why we love you literal gorilla man. He must have gotten frustrated when Maruo's speed when mixed up with varied pacing beat his pure physique power at some points given the whole "I want to show you that physique is more important than strategy and technique" subplot.

Like I said last episode. Araya's first match had been one of the most intense in the series and this one isn't letting down. Seeing that Maruo has only managed to break once and Araya's improved and is now going at it with his all the final set will be tricky. That being said, Maruo has shown absurd improvement against Araya's left handed advantage since last episode and is now not fully comfortable against it but is managing it. If he is able to start hitting back with his full strength and control it could get tougher for Araya as well.
Jul 30, 2019 8:12 AM
Apr 2016
The match is going smooth. Ei-chan managed to adapt quickly to Araya's left-hand, just like expected honestly, since Ei-chan is just really adaptive. However, this is probably the hardest match ever for Ei-chan.
Nov 27, 2020 6:28 PM

Jul 2017
Great episode again, and I'm loving this match between Araya and Maruo. Definitely feels like the biggest and best match of the show so far from a competitive nature. Maruo beats Araya 6-3 in the 2nd set, leading to a winner takes all final set between the two. Both are figuring each other out and figuring their own weaknesses as well against each other. A really competitive bout where the final result can go in favor to either of them.

This season of Baby Steps has been fantastic so far and a joy to watch, but if I had one issue with this season, is the hiccups here and there that I'd rarely find in any other anime made by an experienced studio. One episode showed the wrong number for the notebook taken out from a bag as that book was already out, one showed the wrong result on the scorecard where it was written as 6-2 but should have been 5-2, and now the whole Yukichi/Kageyama deal around the beginning of the episode with people using wrong voices for that part. Luckily it was only for a very small part, but still, a little sloppy this season has been as a whole with obvious details. Still, doesn't affect my enjoyment much as a whole, the content is still awesome to watch.
Mar 23, 2022 12:08 AM

Jul 2021
Great match as expected and always will
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Sep 12, 2023 4:37 AM

Sep 2018
- I like how he's somehow fairly efficient around the net and with his low volleys, regardless of the fact that I don't remember him ever practicing this part of his game at all throughout season 1 and so far into season 2 lol... If they wanted to make it more believable that his game is this multidimensional, than they should have at least gave him one or two episodes, where he works on his volley game. Even his transition game is hard to believe, especially coming in on regulatory baseline shots, how he's somehow never caught in no mans land (the area slightly behind the service line and slightly in front of the baseline), is beyond me.

- Dude unironically celebrated a point where he won thanks to a lucky net cord lol, that would have rubbed me and many others the wrong way.

- He also doesn't concede that his first serve was indeed out and play a second serve instead. Pretty poor sportsmanship, but something tells me he's not doing it on purpose, he just doesn't know any better lol

- You would think this was American College tennis with all the shouting going on

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2015

116 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 13, 2023 9:50 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 16, 2015

51 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 13, 2023 4:27 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Jun 7, 2015

33 by GakutoDeathGlare »»
Sep 12, 2023 4:01 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 3, 2015

48 by ImmuneDark3 »»
Jun 21, 2022 5:30 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps 2nd Season Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2015

33 by tinker3bellz1 »»
May 19, 2022 6:17 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.