Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (32) « First ... « 30 31 [32]
Oct 29, 2020 7:29 AM
Sep 2019
Blackmirror94 said:
kitten320 said:
Wait what? Archer was killed off, there were clear swords popping out of him and he was already low on mana and close to vanishing so WTF?

Don't even get me started on most powerful servant being defeated by Shirou...

Even though F/SN is original, I don't think I'll ever be able to accept it as good. Half of the staff in it makes no sense. To start with, how on earth teenagers are considered worthy mages to fight in a biggest magic fight? Especially when you have all those guys from back in Fate/Zero? Like come on.

And I know Fate/Zero was done after but I still hate how F/SN barely even mentions any of the past events, like if they never even happened.

Can at least someone explain why in all these years Kiritsugu not once visited or tried to help Ilya? Irisviel would so not approve. Actually hate that Saber not once mentions either of the 3 despite having big connection with them.

Due to of the outcome in zero, the holy grail war starts 20 years earlier than regular. So the hires of each founder family are much younger than usually.

How should most of the participants know about everything of the past grail war? Most of them were still kids during this time lol

He actually tried to visit illya! There a conversation of fujimura and sakura about kiritsugu in lost butterfly. Illya overheard his conversation in that scene.
Kiritsugu traveled alot to a foreign country, because he wanted to find someone important.
Why he didn't find illya? Isn't explained exactly. Most likely, the Einzbern Family prevent him to do so. Most of the mages are very cold hearted and they might didn't want him to interfere with illya's preparations for the next grail war. Furthermore, kiritsugu destroyed the grail instead of obtaining him for the Einzbern family, so he is probably seen as a traitor.
Thats my explanation if I consider every scene of the anime.

Generally the grail war happens every 60 years, correct? So that would make the 5th war 50 years too early than it should. But yeah, you re right about the rest.

IIRC it is mentioned at the end of FZ as well, Kiritsugu tried to see Illya after the fourth war but the Einzbern did not allow that to happen because of his betrayal (destroying the grail).
Oct 29, 2020 7:34 AM
Oct 2020
Ilasma said:
Blackmirror94 said:

Due to of the outcome in zero, the holy grail war starts 20 years earlier than regular. So the hires of each founder family are much younger than usually.

How should most of the participants know about everything of the past grail war? Most of them were still kids during this time lol

He actually tried to visit illya! There a conversation of fujimura and sakura about kiritsugu in lost butterfly. Illya overheard his conversation in that scene.
Kiritsugu traveled alot to a foreign country, because he wanted to find someone important.
Why he didn't find illya? Isn't explained exactly. Most likely, the Einzbern Family prevent him to do so. Most of the mages are very cold hearted and they might didn't want him to interfere with illya's preparations for the next grail war. Furthermore, kiritsugu destroyed the grail instead of obtaining him for the Einzbern family, so he is probably seen as a traitor.
Thats my explanation if I consider every scene of the anime.

Generally the grail war happens every 60 years, correct? So that would make the 5th war 50 years too early than it should. But yeah, you re right about the rest.

IIRC it is mentioned at the end of FZ as well, Kiritsugu tried to see Illya after the fourth war but the Einzbern did not allow that to happen because of his betrayal (destroying the grail).

Yes you're right! I remembered something about 30 years.. So thanks for the correction :)
Oct 29, 2020 8:30 AM
Sep 2019
Blackmirror94 said:
Ilasma said:

Yes you're right! I remembered something about 30 years.. So thanks for the correction :)

No problem mate!!
Dec 19, 2020 9:01 PM

Apr 2018
Damn that fight between Gilgadaddy and Shirou was so good. Also EXCALIBUR!!!!
Dec 23, 2020 1:50 AM

Jul 2019
Not my favourite route definitely, DEEN's final moments was better, putting animations aside.
This had epic moments and Archer story was the best but after that nothing new. The decision to make somehow Archer alive is pretty much just to keep the fans happy. It made no sense. Unless I missed something which I rarely do in a show like this.
Feb 27, 2021 8:11 PM

Aug 2020
Ilasma said:
Things I liked in this episode:

- Archer still alive!
- Idiot grows some balls and becomes badass
- Really epic battle!
- As much as I love him, seeing troubled Gilgamesh was kind of satisfying
- Final goodbye with Archer and Rin - woman, you should have gone for him! Rin asking him for a new pact was really sweet. I really liked their relationship throughout the series, even if it should have had more screentime
- Saber & Rin, they work so well together! I guess Rin would be the ideal Master of any non twisted Servant, having chemistry with 3 of them

Things that left me a bit ?_?:

- Archer still alive? How?
- Idiot managing defeating Gilgamesh... how?
- Archer new hairstyle

Things I didn't like:

- Shinji still alive

Archer was alive because he shifted to spirit form at the last second
shirou won because of UBW being a good counter and Gils ego
Feb 27, 2021 8:16 PM

Aug 2020
leev said:
Not my favourite route definitely, DEEN's final moments was better, putting animations aside.
This had epic moments and Archer story was the best but after that nothing new. The decision to make somehow Archer alive is pretty much just to keep the fans happy. It made no sense. Unless I missed something which I rarely do in a show like this.

Archer survived because he shifted to spirit form at the last second its not explained but thats hes alive plus he also castes rho alias on shirou.The finale battle was hella lit
Feb 27, 2021 9:21 PM

Aug 2020
[quote=Dull_Lull message=50180861]
Gator said:
. Now the question would be why didn't Gil and Saber notice him?

i thought they were too focused with gil plus i think archers mana must be pretty for them to not detect it? and he probably got out of there pretty quickly but even if its true i think its a nitpick

FateMadManFeb 27, 2021 9:27 PM
Feb 27, 2021 9:29 PM

Aug 2020
matheoo41 said:
ImbalancedEmblem said:

Lmao... I decide to go back to this thread years later and there's still people bitching about this. Also, Fukasawa composed UBW, not Kajiura(she does compose HF though).

Well, my mistake, still:
music=good
story/pacing/execution=butchered
I think now (years after the show aired) it should be clear.

i disagree but i think its ok to have an opinion
Apr 1, 2021 9:06 AM

Jul 2020
Wait how is Archer still alive? Did I miss something
Aug 1, 2021 9:57 PM
Jul 2021
Loved that fight scene and Shirou holding his own against Gilgamesh because he mastered no single phantasm. How did Archer survive though?

Also, I'm sad to see Saber go :(

Aug 18, 2021 4:07 PM

Mar 2019
Shirou's power scale is really absurd, there is no one who believes it, you can tell that all this comes from a visual novel in which the world revolves around his d***ck lmao
Oct 24, 2021 12:50 PM
Aug 2017
Saber's excalibur was spectacular. Sad to see her go

Suck it Gilgamesh you just got killed by a mongrel

Archer saves the day once again but farewell :(

Dec 19, 2021 9:14 PM

May 2021
That was really a stupid episode. Shiro becomes a godlike force in just a second, what a pathetic idea is this.
There a huge difference between Fate/Zero and this Stupidity Fate/Stay Night. Really they blew it up!!!
Dec 24, 2021 10:26 AM

Apr 2020
Nazgool said:
That was really a stupid episode. Shiro becomes a godlike force in just a second, what a pathetic idea is this.
There a huge difference between Fate/Zero and this Stupidity Fate/Stay Night. Really they blew it up!!!

Fate Zero is garbage compared to FSN. Fate/Zero has a shallow and childish view of PTSD, it was garbage and not in depth. The Themes in Fate/Zero are hardly anything thought provoking considering how surface level they are.

As for your comments, Shirou became "godlike" only because 1. He was facing against gilgamesh, GOB is countered by UBW easily 2. Shirou got his powers from archer via time paradox and because of Eye of the Mind Skill, which adds to the consistency of Fate Stay Night.
Jan 19, 2022 10:21 PM

Aug 2020
Seeing Gilgamesh's death was satisfying for me. Archer (Emiya) will always be remembered. Good conclusion for the series.

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
Jun 21, 2022 5:51 PM
Nov 2020
Rin is top tier waifu bruh
But risking that much to save a rapist???hell nah.....
Overall amazing ep...
Sep 16, 2022 10:26 AM
Jun 2019
Shinji, get in the fucking grail.
Mar 6, 2023 3:14 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Saber: *arrives on the scene* "Shirou, I'll take over from here."
Shirou: "No, go help Rin, I'll handle Gilgamesh."
Saber: "Why are you dumb as shit"
Shirou: "I'm not dumb, whoever wrote this script is dumb as shit"

Maybe it was portrayed better in the first fate stay night since that was more of a Saber-focused route after all, but I still kind of wished that they'd have included at least a little reaction for Saber as she realizes what the grail really is. Or maybe she had already kind of knew beforehand, not just from UBW, but from fate zero? Did she disappear right after she excaliber'd the shit out of it? Has she lost her memories of that grail war when she was placed into this one? Anyhow, I just wish we could've see an expression of despair from Saber as she realizes her wish won't be able to be fulfilled. Instead she seems kind of happy, "ok I'll go save Rin now, yay!"

I love characters in anime who talk a lot of shit- BUT are able to back up everything they say 100%. Gilgamesh is one of those characters.... almost... until he got rekt by a kid. But I understand how Shirou was able to rekt him hard, I totally didn't get it the first time I watched this years ago. So from what I understand, since Shirou was able to see his future life through Archer, he used his copying/projection ability, to COPY Archer's life, and gain all his powers, as we see he uses that flower shield that Archer used against Lancer earlier. How he does it, I have no idea, but at least I kind of get how he was able to level the playing field with Gilgamesh. Although it still makes no sense because Gilgamesh would've solo'ed a full power Archer anyway.

Ok I gotta say though, Shirou beating Gilgamesh was pretty awesome, especially with that soundtrack in the background boosting the adrenaline pumping scene even further. The first time I saw this scene I remember being bummed out so bad, like "how tf is Shirou beating this guy". I understand it a LITTLE better now, somewhat, as to why that it is, but it still doesn't really make any sense to me. But the technical stuff doesn't matter. Shirou getting the better of Gilgamesh was pretty sick actually. And then the black hole grail comes to take Gilgamesh away for some reason, but that's not what finishes him off officially: it's a shot from Archer, who's still around, somewhere, somehow. I liked that scene at the end where Archer says his goodbyes to Rin though. I feel like destroying the world-ending holy grail is pretty much as good as it gets to fulfilling his ideals of saving the world. And besides that, he fulfilled his purpose, unbeknownst to him or not, he saved himself, Shirou, by coming to this age, and making sure that he was set on the right path. 

If you're watching unlimited bladeworks in 2023 and beyond and you saw any of the mini-rants I've been leaving in these episode discussions, I'm sorry for the walls of text, and I'm sorry for hurting your feelings if you're a big fan of this series and how ufotable handled it, and think that it's good. I however, just don't think it wasn't that good. I do not intend to make anyone malding with anger, I just needed a somewhat-public place to vent. Maybe it's because I didn't understand everything properly, and that's fair, that's on me for not reading the visual novels. But I still don't give enough of a fuck to spend the average time needed to complete red dead redemption 2 reading those visual novels. I'm here just for the anime, because ufotable is a top tier anime studio; and if you think otherwise, give me whatever you're on right now. Visually spectacular, but did they handle it well enough with more limited screen time as opposed to visuals, from a writing standpoint? Again, I don't know, and I don't care enough to find out. I'm just judging based on what I've seen, and what I've seen looked great and sounded great, But the amount of questions left unanswered, at least from my perspective, is close to astronomical. I'll automatically improve my opinion on UBW by assuming ufotable didn't make this with the intent of appealing to anime-onlies fresh to the fate-verse as the first priority in mind. Rather, I'm going to believe that it's a love letter to the visual novels, bring it to life with flash and flare. And they've done that, from a visual standpoint of course. The writing standpoint, is a question, for someone who is actually a visual novel reader, not me. 

All things considered, it's still a good 7/10 anime. I just have a heck ton of nitpicks to throw at it. Anyway, now onto watch the epilogue. 

NYANPASU
5700XT

May 2, 2023 2:36 PM

Dec 2018
a lot of backlash but idk since i didn't do the VN but i thought it was great. bittersweet in some ways.
Aug 15, 2023 2:40 AM
Jul 2023
Pretty rushed for fate, but a rushed fate episode is better than 90% of anime.
- Unlimited blade works (shirou’s version) 😂
- Seriously though that was amazing. Unlike in the fate route, Gilgamesh goes down in an amazing fight scene
- God damn Shirou is a badass now, he deflected ALL OF THAT and then took an arm. Bravo
- Holy grail is no more for the third time 😆
- LMAO THE GRAIL JUST SUCKED HIM BACK
- BAHAHAHA AND THEN ARCHER JUST SNIPES HIM
- Archer was alive tho? That’s kinda dumb
- Archer looked like Shirou before he died
Sep 18, 2023 9:31 AM

Apr 2015
....that was absolutely hilarious. Well, at least it can serve as an example of how NOT to write a story...
Jan 1, 1:30 AM
Feb 2017
GOOD GOOD GOOD EMIYA ACHA SHIROU
Feb 2, 11:17 PM

Dec 2022
UBW Shirou being cool asf + Excalibur!!!

I kinda dislike the fact that Shirou didn't fully win, or did he? Because EMIYA Archer lands the final head shot to Gil yeesh and i though he died alr by Gil back then.

Anyhoo gonna miss Archer so much huhu ;-;

Mar 29, 12:29 PM

Jun 2011
The asspull.. Archer came out of nowhere and saved the day, but I didn't mind it, gave both Archer and Rin some closure.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Pages (32) « First ... « 30 31 [32]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 11, 2015

1719 by icim_fitto »»
Apr 27, 4:58 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1557 by Swatheesh123 »»
Apr 9, 8:52 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 17, 2015

1448 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - May 9, 2015

1316 by ToG25thBaam »»
Mar 29, 9:35 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) 2nd Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Apr 4, 2015

1282 by Alice_Huxley »»
Feb 16, 7:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.