Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 9, 2015 9:27 PM

Jan 2012
scruffykiwi said:
animefan8800 said:

The girl's not a saint, given another opportunity of course she'd take it. I never got the impression that she was manipulating Yuko into doing what she did, but agree to disagree I guess.

I don't think she directly manipulated Yuko, BUT she certainly has took advantage of the situation. By thanking Yuko in her chat in the playground she indirectly gave support to Yuko and the campaign she knew was coming, which she followed up by practicing the solo parts.

Eh, I'd say you're giving her too much credit in saying she knew mere thanks would lead to this. I still don't think that was her intent, and as said I can't fault her for taking advantage of the situation once it's given to her. Really her only faults were not being good enough in the first place and having loudmouth Yuko as a friend. Even if you do think she's to blame though rest assured she only has failure to look forward to in this rematch.
Jun 9, 2015 9:36 PM

Jun 2011
Soo much drama in this episode but its all good coz Kaori gets anther chance. We all know Reina will win but I'M CHEERING FOR YOU KAORI NONETHELESS.

Also I still see alot of people butthurt about the lack of Yuri in this. But keep hope alive guys you never know, KyoAni might actually ship Kumiko and Reina (Can't wait to read the comments at the end of this when they don't end up together :3 )
Jun 9, 2015 9:39 PM

Nov 2007
L-Ryoshi said:
shanimebib said:
Didn't realize Yuuko would turn out to be such a terrible character. Kaori-senpai is well aware of the fact that Reina is better than her yet she just had to take the opportunity of the re-run for the audition. This will give her the chance to prove herself.

Natsuki-senpai couldn't have asked for more love, now could she? Remember that it is not because of Kumiko that she didn't make it. All three of the Eupho could have passed the audition. The limit was 55 members altogether. It just means that there are 54 other who were better than her with their instruments. The way she accepted it makes her an okay character, but the way she broke Kumiko's concerns that shouldn't have any basis in the first place made her an admirable character. Their conversation was the best part of the episode.

Personally I don't believe Yuko is as horrible as many here are making her out to be. Yes she is biased for her sempai, and has little to no love for Reina, but considering her own experience, regardless of her bias, it's still somewhat understandable.

Considering that she has been watching Kaori play for two straight years, whereas her interaction with Reina has been less than one semester, and Reina normally practices alone.
The only time she gets to hear her play is during the ensembles, meaning no one really stands out unless they're playing badly. So how would she know how good Reina really is?

What she's convinced of is that Kaori is a good trumpet player who works hard. The rumors were going around already (note that she wasn't the one who started them) regarding Taki being biased. Couple that to her undying love for her Kaori-sempai, and she pretty much convinced herself that the results of the auditions were unfair. Considering how many hands shot up in the end questioning the fairness of the auditions, I'm plenty sure that she wasn't the only person to think that either.

That said, what she did was a pretty dick move. Kaori, despite struggling to accept the result herself, told her explicitly not to complain about the result. Kaori was trying not to have the situation become like what happened in the previous year, yet she totally blew it out into the open.

Not only does it make the situation seem like Yuuko is being a mouthpiece for Kaori, but it also makes it seem like it's Kaori who is trying to destroy the band by questioning the Teacher's decisions. I highly doubt that is what Kaori wanted to happen.

Yuuko think's that she herself means well by coming out to say what she thinks others (especially Kaori) wants to say, but she doesn't seem to understand all the unnecessary problems and tension that it was causing until Kaori snapped at her. I don't really consider her a bad girl, but I have my doubts on her social skills and thought/decision making process.
As an analogy: She feels like an extreme MAL shipper who can't believe her ship is sinking.

I disagree with those who say that Kaori was being a schemer. I don't understand why continuing to practice for the solo part explicitly implies that she's still out to get Reina. For one thing, no one requested for a second audition, Taki only got the idea from the other teacher long after everything was blown out of proportion. Even if she was practicing, she had no way of knowing whether it would be of any use or not for the current competition. In that sense I believe her motive was similar to Natsuki's in that she was doing it for herself, for future use.

This is where I don't understand the hate for her going around. She practices as hard as, if not harder than, everyone else, and refuses to give up even after being told she's not good enough. I personally think it's a quality similar to Reina (I refer to her attitude as a fighter), and yet people here are bashing her just because THEY believe that Reina is better than her and that she should just give up and accept Taki's decision like snap. I feel like there's plenty of bias to go around here.
If I practiced hard on something all my life and was then told someone else was better, I'd be the first to reassess myself, but I wouldn't give up, shut up and accept that other person as superior. I'd try to get to that persons level and beyond. Both Reina and Kaori have shown to have this quality, so why bash one over the other here?

However, despite her resolve in fighting for her spot, I cannot help but feel that Kaori was somewhat forced to put her hand up, just so Yuuko wouldn't be isolated for making her complaints known, but having no one back her up. Kaori clearly understands the social dynamics in the club. She likes her underclassmen enough to take a brunt of the blame for her, which I believe is a selfless and noble thing to do.

On the same end, I would like to add that Natsuki is getting too much unnecessary praise. I mentioned it last week, and she basically mentioned the same thing today. Natsuki is a chill person who knows her own limitations, and she's cool with it. It took Taki and his ways to get her interested in working hard again, but she didn't have any hard feelings once she wasn't selected because she knew where she stood in comparison to the other Euphs. She is easily influenced by the flow of things, and as such easy to accept her exclusion as normal (which it is).

In this case, her attitude is a boon to Kumiko, because she was traumatized by being blamed for taking her sempai's spot on the team back in middle school (I'm so glad we finally get to see it), and by said sempai no less.
I think this is also one reason for her non-committal nature. She doesn't want conflict and hence is reluctant to give an opinion on anything. She was plenty scared that Natsuki was gonna rip her a new one, and for that I'm sure plenty of us here are grateful that Natsuki's attitude and demeanor is what it is. Seeing Kumiko cry tears of relief at the fast-food joint somehow endeared me to her even more, because it seems like it tore down a wall that she built in her heart for so long, and she finally showed some genuine expressions.

I totally agree with you, that scene was the best part of the episode.

shanimebib said:

Off Topic:

Not really wanted to point this out but I have noticed the novel's official web page has SIX characters listed as main characters — our four girls from the anime and Shuuichi (kind of makes sense) AND Asuka-senpai(?) Does she play a bigger role in the novel? I would think the sixth one would be Taki-sensei but it isn't.

Considering what we know will happen
I don't think I'm as surprised as you are about this. Asuka has a somewhat undeveloped backstory as of this moment, meaning there is much potential for her to be explored if/when they adapt the subsequent 2 volumes of the novel.

shanimebib said:

Also, CR and their mistakes.

In episode 9: When Kumiko clearly says she is bummed too when Midori is depressed — Midori miraculously gets translated to Hazuki.
In episode 10: Reina clearly says Taki-sensei's father is a famous concert band instructor — and now Taki-sensei is a famous concert band instructor himself.

I wasn't planning to point out the mistakes but I read a comment above me that made me realize that translations mistakes will create wrong understanding.

On Topic: I think I fell in love with Kumiko.

Glad you pointed this out, because it makes for a different dynamic than if the subs were actually true.

The fact that it's Taki's father who is a famous band instructor, rather than Taki himself makes so much more sense. Considering that if he had been accepted as brilliant from the off, then way more students would have joined their school just to work under him, whereas the reality is that only Reina seems to know of and promotes his brilliance. From the off, I always pictured Taki as an up-and-coming instructor who has the talent but not the fame (hence his not being invited to work at a more prestigious school). I assume that Taki and Reina were childhood friends (or like.... an elder brother figure?) growing up. Reina gave off the air of "I know Taki best" whenever she spoke about him, so she understands how brilliant he is and his way of thinking.

I personally think that he gives off a bit of an airhead vibe, and doesn't really know how to deal with anything outside of his area of expertise. In that, I mean he's probably not used to dealing with people being disapproving of his ideas and decisions. He managed to change the feel and direction of the club by doing things his way up till now after all, and the students were following him without reservations before this.

That said, I think Taki actually messed up by not coming up with a solution to the band's issues after telling everyone else about his acquaintance with Reina. It felt like he just expected things to simmer down and that the band would continue on as planned (whereas in reality things just got a lot worse). He was at such a loss at how to deal until Michie-sensei gave him a hint.

In the end I can see this all turning out for the better once the second audition happens and Yuuko and everyone else is forced to admit that Taki has truly been fair in his judgement.

Overall I thought this episode was brilliant!
Both the band and the relationships got a lot of development here, though I'm a bit peeved that I only got to see my Midori three times.......

Good analyses but there are some mistakes. I don't think at any point it was revealed that Yuuko and Kaori-senpai are from the same middle school. So, it is safer to assume that Yuuko knew Kaori for one year + the first semester of her second year. It doesn't change the fact that she knew Kaori-senpai longer, however. Also, I said she is a terrible character because characters like her make others look bad and you can already see how some negative comments are thrown at Kaori-senpai how she should have taken responsibility of the rumours and Yuuko's actions (even though she wasn't the one who started it).

That fact that no one like Reina is because everyone noticed an air of arrogance about her and how she creates a wall between her and the rest. To be honest, Reina is only honest with Kumiko and that is also because she has

I have met people like Reina in school, in college, in the university and even in my workplace. I simply don't judge someone by how they behave unless they do something harmful to others. But I only realized that when I was in college. In school though, I didn't even bother to talk with people like Reina. But in reality, people like Reina could turn out to be real fun to be around, but one needs to break their wall to reach them, in school, you usually aren't experienced enough to deal with them. Which is the case for Reina and her band mates. The realism in the story is one of the best things about this anime after all.

As for Natsuki-senpai, you kind of agreed that she is praise-worthy. Like I said, she would have been an okay character as she is but she could have just let it slide, but she didn't — the fact that Kumiko needed reassurance. But I also can disagree on the fact that despite her spouting that how she wasn't really into it and she was in it just because the air around her or due to Taki-sensei rallying her, doesn't change the fact that she was disappointed to not have made it. Her trainings (even in the last moments) and her expression when her name wasn't called during the results speak for it.

As for Taki-sensei, your analysis is quite commendable. I think genius people come with traits like his (lacking in social skills).
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 9, 2015 9:54 PM

May 2012
Welp, called it that Reina liked Taki-sensei in an earlier episode.

Natsuki's such a good girl ;-;

I understand where that short girl's coming from but she's getting pretty annoying.

Love the growing friendship between Kumiko and Reina

Jun 9, 2015 9:59 PM
Oct 2012
SOS Admiral!

Our ship is drowning!... (><)
Jun 9, 2015 10:09 PM

Sep 2013
I just realized that the title of this episode was Straight Trumpet..
Straight Trumpet.. What the fuck does that mean, kyoani? </3 Oh my heart Hahaha
Jun 9, 2015 10:35 PM

May 2014
Ah, band class drama. I can relate to some of this. Only some, though, as most of my classes didn't give two shits about band and were only in it because their parents made them.
Jun 9, 2015 10:39 PM

Nov 2007
BiriBiri21 said:
I just realized that the title of this episode was Straight Trumpet..
Straight Trumpet.. What the fuck does that mean, kyoani? </3 Oh my heart Hahaha

It's a play of words. While "Straight Trumpet" is one of the oldest trumpets, I think the intention was slightly different. The word "Massugu" can be a character trait which can mean someone being direct, straightforward and honest with themselves.

In this case, it is Reina — who was very direct with it when she said she firmly believed she was chosen because of her ability being superior and it is Kaori-senpai — who was honest with it when she decided to partake in the second audition and it is Yuuko — who was straightforward on how she thought there could have been favouritism when Reina was selected. And of course, all three of them play trumpet.

Well, of course, you are free to make other meanings out of it, but it will only hurt you more.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jun 9, 2015 10:46 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
I can only roll my eyes at whats happening. For a show about high school band, it has way too much melodrama for its own good.

The second auditions had me roll my eyes even more. With as much fuss as people were making about it before the outburst, I think it was obvious things were heading toward that point. I think its fairly easy to figure out who will get the solo parts at the next audition.

This only adds more fuel to my fiery hate for Reina. I'm glad she'll be replaced for the solos.
Jun 9, 2015 10:47 PM

Jan 2008
I was never a fan of Kousaka and I kind of disliked her attitude in this episode. Sure, she might be the better one but she didn't have to go and say it like that in front of everyone but I guess Yuuko was also to blame by flaming the whole thing.

I think the second audition won't make a difference as Kousaka will win again but who knows. I don't think Taki-sensei played favorites but with how the students reacted to the fact that he knows her father might have made him think of the possibility that he might did it without intending to. Anyway, the second audition will be the real thing when the students will see who truly deserves the part.

I like Taki-sensei and I wonder if he will accept Kousaka's feelings but I don't really see it happening. Well, I guess that it won't happen more than ever now especially that the students know about his relationship with her family. This will create even more problems and I think he's mature enough not to get involved with a student. Well, it could happen after she graduates but since the novels don't go beyond high school, no one knows.

I'm looking forward to more Shuichi and Kumiko scenes. I really hope he confesses to her soon.
Jun 9, 2015 10:51 PM

Nov 2014
why are some people still delusional?.... can't handle the truth?
Jun 9, 2015 10:54 PM

Apr 2013
Can't wait for the showdown next week.
REALITY IS A CRAPPY GAME

Jun 9, 2015 11:07 PM
Aug 2014
there's already a doujin, but it's kumiko x taki +hazukki x shuichi
Jun 9, 2015 11:13 PM

Mar 2013
kumiko x sensei is pretty lul
Jun 9, 2015 11:30 PM

Nov 2012
so kousaka really does have a crush on taki-sensei.

and i think she will be chosen in the second auditions as well.
Jun 10, 2015 12:39 AM

Oct 2013
Lol Reina bluntly said that she was the best. I hope Reina wins the second audition.
Jun 10, 2015 1:03 AM

Aug 2009
Farabeuf said:
Another very good episode. I thought that the Sensei handled the whole thing extremely badly. He should have enforced his will there and then, making it clear that he's professional and that he chose Reina because she was better, and that if anyone was butthurt about it, the door was wide open. There is no way he should have opened up for a second audition. He can't be undermined every time someone gets their panties in a bunch because their beloved senpai didn't get their role.

I completely agree with this.
If I were Reina, I'd be pissed the fuck off. She won the solo part fair and square, and now she has to prove herself a second time just because the others are completely butthurt over the fact that a first year got the solo?
Extremely frustrating.
Jun 10, 2015 1:23 AM

Jan 2013
Fantastic episode, having the band vote on the auditions seems like a bad idea. They're going to screw Kousaka out of the part, unless it's a blind audition. Which it should be.
Jun 10, 2015 1:35 AM

Aug 2008
Nothing is more annoying than seeing characters doing unnecessary things on "behalf" of other characters... Not only is it selfish, but it tends to cause more issues and inconveniencing the people they thought they were helping. One thing is being kind, the other is just doing something without thinking it through.
Only a few episodes after Sapphire's meddling, we have another character doing needless meddling, Yuko, in this case.
Alright episode besides that though. My first thought after hearing Reina saying that Taki was cool was thinking she had romantic feelings for him. Then maybe I thought she only admired him for his skills. But then it turns out she really liked him. Hmmm. Should've seen it coming.
Jun 10, 2015 1:40 AM

May 2009
Ziassan said:
Well pretty good episode.
As a let down the drama feels really forced/artificial, at least really amplified. Their was already far enough drama in all the last episodes, come on, why this one.

alpha_shadow said:
meh, not a fan of the uncecessary drama

pretty much that

If you can't stand drama, don't watch drama shows. Also spare us from these retarded buzzwords.
Jun 10, 2015 1:47 AM

Jul 2013
It was interesting to see Kousaka react like that (because she basically reacts like me). Lol:,, Holy crap, what's wrong with her!? She can hardly even play! What's her problem?''

Tokoya said:
Man the salt was real in this episode.....Damn girls and their stupid rumors all because they're mad because they weren't good enough

I really hope that Kousaka wins again because I cannot stand that stupid girl complaining for her friend -_-

Real life reference.
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Jun 10, 2015 2:08 AM

Jan 2015
So. Thanks, KyoAni, for ruining our ship (yes, we know. Shipbaiting, yuri-goggles and the like. One day, KyoAni will come around to the truth!). But fine, we shall deal.

Good episode again this week. I like how Natsuki's character was preserved (and that we FINALLY got to see Kumiko's full flashback) - if she had become one of those people who vied for a place in the band, it would have ruined her for me. I like her the way she is. Similarly, the enigma that is Asuka has become even more enigmatic.

I can't wait for the actual performance!

Jun 10, 2015 2:32 AM

Oct 2014
Man, The anime's getting real in this episode.. KYOANI'S A GENIOUS

I think reaudition is not right, Im getting bad feelings on the next ep...
Jun 10, 2015 3:22 AM

Sep 2014
I don't understand the complaints about the 'drama'. Not only is this a drama show but it was handled very gracefully by KyoAni unlike most other high school dramas.

Overall a great episode, the only disappointment is the yuri bait. I'm not a yuri shipper, but the stuff between Reina and Kumiko were dialed up way too high in previous episodes so the fact that the show never intended to follow through on them is a let down. Reina's outburst was very natural coming from her, and I agree that Taki-sensei's handling of the situation wasn't the best, but it's probably the first time he teaches music in high school from what I understood. He's clearly inexperienced. 4.5/5
NeromonJun 10, 2015 3:28 AM
Jun 10, 2015 3:34 AM

Jun 2013
First off EW EW EW EW EW called it Reina like Taki sensei bleh. Dat hug tho

Damn this episode went from tense to happy :)

Yuuko is straight up trash. I hope Reina destroys Kaori again during their re audition.

Great episode. Asuka is dark yo.
Jun 10, 2015 4:10 AM
May 2015
I dont really care about the "romance" thingy. I just want to them to enjoy playing their music as a band . And the character development is great !!
Jun 10, 2015 4:23 AM

Jun 2015
Wow, the plot was so predictable in this episode. Drama thanks to Yuko and yuri bait (if you know KyoAni, you should have realized that this is nothing new).
"If you have time to think of a beautiful end, then why not live beautifully until the end?"- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama
Jun 10, 2015 4:28 AM

Apr 2011
The yuri ship just sank.

And Yuuko, you bitch!
Jun 10, 2015 5:20 AM

May 2014
Damn, all this drama in this ep. Hahha, I knew it were either that Kousaka had feelings for Taki-sensei or that it were his father. Seems like the first one is correct.

But the drama were pretty good in this ep. So it's gonna be another audition between Kousaka and Kaori-chan. Well, I can't say who is better since we never heard them. I hope we can hear them preform in the next ep.
Jun 10, 2015 5:21 AM

May 2014
bastek66 said:
Enjoy cute gifs

I really wonder why this one didn't take the 2nd audition? I hoped she would join since she were so determined about it. :(
Jun 10, 2015 5:24 AM

May 2014
jonjoy said:
I hope they make Reina X Taki happen.

lol, that would be loliness. :3 They are at least 10 year in difference.
well, in anime world that doesn't matter. :)
Jun 10, 2015 5:31 AM

May 2014
xSanox said:
the girl is in love with the teacher she has known for a while because the teacher knows her dad. yeah that means nothing.

more reina and kumiko scenes. they just fit together.

remember that one guy? what's his face... hmm??. OH SHUUICHI completety abscent from this episode..

the drama was pretty good this episode

you mean the one Hazuki-chan liked?

he were in only one scene I think, when the band played together on 03:15
Look:

mangalicker94Jun 10, 2015 5:38 AM
Jun 10, 2015 5:43 AM

Feb 2014
A lot of drama in this episode. I understand that Yuko wanted to stick up for Kaori, even though Kaori herself tried to persuade Yuko that she was fine with the audition results. However, Yuko's jealousy seriously imploded everywhere and brought up Taki-Sensei's relations to Reina, then accusing him of having a bias to Reina's audition over Kaori's.

Honestly it was incredibly stupid of Yuko to do such a thing in the first place, even though she wanted to help Kaori the best she can. All she really succeeded at is becoming a character that most people hate now. Nicely done... ¬_¬

Natsuki, on the other hand, took the results very well. Whatever doubts and guilt that Kumiko had because of Natsuki's failed audition was put to rest with how relaxed and supportive Natsuki was to Kumiko, even treating her to a milkshake too. Natsuki's definitely become a much improved character from when we first saw her, that's for certain! =D

Not surprisingly, Reina confirmed that she joined the school thinking that Taki-Sensei would teach there, which was correct, then going further by confessing that she's in love with him too. A major blow to the Reina x Kumiko Yuri ship sadly. D=

No matter how much of a professional Taki-Sensei is, the rumour mill spreads like wild fire and causes a further rift between him and the whole club. Good job on Matsumoto for giving him the push to sort things out by staging a second audition in front of everyone this time, inevitably leading to a head-to-head trumpet solo face-off between Reina and Kaori. I'm hoping that Reina will win again so Yuko can finally button up.

Overall, a very strong and well handled episode. =)
Jun 10, 2015 5:43 AM

May 2011
MaxXZoe said:
why are some people still delusional?.... can't handle the truth?

Why do care so much about who ships who?!

The reality is the people who are shipping the yuri couple are having fun with it. Even though they knew it was most likely a rouse or yuribait.

Its the people who are antagonistic towards the "yuri" shippers that are coming off like complete dicks.

The reality is there's no time for shipping at this point. The entire rest of the season is probably going to focus on Reina vs Kaori/Yuuko Trumpet face off and the sectionals right after.
Jun 10, 2015 5:44 AM

Jun 2013
mangalicker94 said:

you mean the one Hazuki-chan liked?
he were in only one scene I think, when the band played together on 03:15
Look:

WUT is all an illusion. Just someone that looks like him.
Nope. A ghooost (?)
The most fun thing is that you call him "the one Hazuki-chan liked" rotfl
DoubledogJun 10, 2015 5:53 AM
Jun 10, 2015 5:58 AM

Aug 2009
bastek66 said:
Ziassan said:
Well pretty good episode.
As a let down the drama feels really forced/artificial, at least really amplified. Their was already far enough drama in all the last episodes, come on, why this one.

If you can't stand drama, don't watch drama shows. Also spare us from these retarded buzzwords.

I started watching Euphonium for his uncommon subject (orchestra band) and character development. I still like the anime because some good characters and KyoAni animation is nice, but the amount of Drama is overtaking everything, it could be better if more balanced. Like the end of the ep5 was really good, while ep7 was just useless.
I just voiced my opinion about this, really. And where is the buzzword ? Tsk.
Let's just allow meliorative comments yay.

Btw I feel like Reina may not get the solo since the point of a 2nd audition could be a waste of time otherwise, for the story, dunno how they will handle this.
Jun 10, 2015 6:08 AM

Jun 2013
Ziassan said:

Btw I feel like Reina may not get the solo since the point of a 2nd audition could be a waste of time otherwise, for the story, dunno how they will handle this.

Maybe it's an opportunity to focus on Kaori and develop more her character. I think that she'll receive the majority of votes just because others sympathize with her, so, since she doesn't seem the type that would take advantage from a thing like that, she'll accept that she's not good as Reina and will hand over the solo to her.
Then KyoAni will definitively focus on competition. There's 3 episodes left, plus the special, I'm right?
Jun 10, 2015 6:09 AM

Sep 2014
After this episode, I officially dropped this anime.
The text above may contain errors.
Jun 10, 2015 6:29 AM

Feb 2014
RIP to my yuri ship.

Yukko is an anoying bitch on this episode, I hope Reina wins the 2nd auditions.

Will the 2nd auditions includes those who failed the 1st auditions? Maybe Natsuki will make it this time.
Jun 10, 2015 6:30 AM

Nov 2011
What can I say? Nothing different from what has already been said many times before, namely that the TV series as well as is being run, it's almost good. The pace is slow, but it is the last of thoughts as well be to express the potential of the narrative. The characters accumulating more and more facets, I love this thing. Drawings and animations run at their best, with high standards of quality. Nice series, getting better and better.
Jun 10, 2015 6:36 AM

Mar 2013
As expected, the drama happened with the auditions and it was a breath of fresh air to see the almighty Taki-sensei distraught but, as the badass adviser that he is, he found another way to fix things in the end which is to hold another audition specifically for the whole trumpet solo choosing fiasco. I'm happy that Kaori-senpai is trying her best to accept herself by doing this but well, I will forever support Reina in everything 100% (so, I'm hoping she gets the solo part again) and that includes supporting her feelings for Taki-sensei. As painful as it can be, KumikoxReina is just another teasing from KyoAni and I've now come into terms with it. I'm already glad just shipping them on the side despite being just special friends and at the same time supporting them with their own respective love interests (Shuuichi for Kumiko and Taki-sensei for Reina)

Also, Asuka-senpai still has that mysterious air to her, making her more awesome than she already is but as stated by Shuuichi a few episodes back, she's too perfect and something must be up. I don't know, maybe?

I also noticed the absence of Shuuichi in this whole episode. Aren't he and Kumiko still not in good terms? I wonder what happens to them in these last 2 episodes.

Lastly, I just had to upload this pic of Taki-sensei because he looked cute af like some depressed child. I can understand why Reina likes him.
Roronoa Zoro is love. Roronoa Zoro is life.
Jun 10, 2015 6:55 AM

Apr 2013
shanimebib said:
Ajunky said:
Not just him. All the guys were making themselves scarce in the face of rampaging teenage drama, in case someone asked their opinions and placed them in a precarious situation. Much better to say: "I hear nothing, I see nothing, I know nothing"

Guys be awesome. Guys avoid being around catfight. Also, unless you are a die-hard feminist, you ought to admit that guys don't talk shit behind one another. Usually they use their fists to do that talking. I am a feminist, so I will deny what I just said.

oh i completely agree from my own experiences that is exactly what we do.. avoid drama like this

it is just if they want to establish shuuichi x kumiko in any way if it happens. every episode where they don't share a scene or he does not get a scene at all aside from being on camera for a split second when it shows peole playing will just make their relationship feel even more shoehorned in

personally i hope they just focus on the music and don't throw in more romance drama
Jun 10, 2015 6:57 AM

Jan 2015
Why so much 1/2 out of 5? This was awesome
Jun 10, 2015 7:00 AM

Sep 2014
I liked this episode. This is band drama to its finest! Baseless rumours, quarrels, all that good stuff. Also Reina's really cute. <3
Jun 10, 2015 7:13 AM

Sep 2014
guys don't talk shit behind one another

Yeah, like, as a guy I can say that that's not true. It's not like they don't talk shit behind somebody's back, it's just that they don't care if it's behind someone's back or in their face.
Jun 10, 2015 7:20 AM

Mar 2015
Well, Yuuko was stirring up trouble, but I don't think her reasons are wrong. This is a school club, not a professional band, Taki's focus solely on performance means people like Kaori who contributed so much to the band get shoved behind star performers like Reina.

Its quite an injustice considering that Kaori helped keep the band together when it was still struggling and that she helped to guide and encourage the juniors only to have the solo part taken on her final chance to perform and when the band is finally starting to get serious.
Jun 10, 2015 7:38 AM

Aug 2009
MelonMilk said:
This is a school club, not a professional band, Taki's focus solely on performance means people like Kaori who contributed so much to the band get shoved behind star performers like Reina.

On ther other side Taki asked clearly what the club wanted : Play for fun and friends and relax, or seek the win of the contest before anything else.
He then went the path the club chose, taking the best for the solo part is part of that. Kaori wants the best for the band, that's exactly why she didn't contest the solo choice, but still trained "if ever" she got the opportunity to perform.

Xenocrisi said:
Why so much 1/2 out of 5? This was awesome

Probably people not liking the broken Yuri "hopes" or this 2nd audition thing. Well, hate is better than indifference tho.
ZiassanJun 10, 2015 7:41 AM
Jun 10, 2015 7:49 AM

Mar 2015
Ziassan said:

On ther other side Taki asked clearly what the club wanted : Play for fun and friends and relax, or seek the win of the contest before anything else.
He then went the path the club chose, taking the best for the solo part is part of that.

When given that sort of question, it's kind of clear what the answer will be, it's not like he gave any in-betweens either, the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. I get that it's important to be serious but to be solely result-oriented seems to be missing the point of a school club in the first place since beginners won't get to fully experience band.
Jun 10, 2015 8:22 AM

Jun 2014
I'm quite worried for the next episode, because I've grown to like Reina a lot, and I'm afraid the second audition will lose her the spot she's actually worked hard for.

I predict that, since the whole band gets a say, Kaori will get her part, only because she's more popular, and it's frustrating, but it's also kind of the way the shows been going. KyoAni seems to be proving 'Hey, not everything works out how we want it too'.

I'll be kind of pissed at Yuko for egging it on, but I'm afraid that might be the turn out of things.
*~*~ T h a t ' s A l l ~*~*
Jun 10, 2015 8:42 AM

Jun 2014
I feel like Reina liking the teacher and Kumiko liking Shuichi are kind of pathetic attempts at stamping out the yuri undertones that like incredibly blatant at this point?
I wouldn't go so far as to say I ship it, but I feel like the thing with Shuichi and the thing with Taki-sensei don't have the compelling and complex elements of Reina and Kumiko, it just feels half-assed. I can only assume those relationships aren't important, because they don't seem to have as much detail as Reina and Kumiko do.
*~*~ T h a t ' s A l l ~*~*
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 28, 2015

193 by Ston3_FreeN7 »»
45 minutes ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2015

206 by BritishBlitz87 »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2015

454 by Max98 »»
Apr 29, 2:06 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2015

395 by filoshi »»
Apr 27, 7:55 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 14, 2015

193 by BritishBlitz87 »»
Apr 18, 5:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.