Forum Settings
Forums
Sankarea
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 16, 2016 3:16 AM

May 2014
I think they were just some random kids, cos Rea would have just died and Chihiro would not left her for anyone else.
Not to mention she said grandmother, if Furuya would be related to the she would have said father/grandfather not grandma
Jan 1, 2017 5:56 AM
Jan 2017
Hey guys just read the manga on new years and when I was reading Ch. 56.1 I thought there were more chapters since it said 59 in total but I was wrong :v
In Ch.56 I thought that chihiro had died😂
But it was only jiji
I think the manga was almost perfect except for Ch.56.1 it was a nice touch seeing the grandchildren of...... whomever they may be and knowing that Rea's condition didn't get any worse.
I'm so confused in how it really ended, I like harems so when I saw the kid I started thinking that maybe Chihiro ended up with all the girls 😂😅 because when I think that Chihiro choose Rea, I feel bad for Ranko/Wanko and viceversa (I speak spanish I don't know if thats engish or just my spanish twisted)
I really wish the author would give us a real ending insead of making us go on the internet searching for anwsers

PS:sorry for my spelling
Feb 11, 2017 8:39 PM
Feb 2017
I just finished the manga last night, and honestly I was very upset because I had really fallen in love with this story. Lol, I almost stopped reading it all together when I thought she ate chihiro entirely. But I am glad that was not the case. Although, I think the author rushed the ending and left several loose ends...and I, like many others readers am very dissapointed in not being given an ending that provides real closure.

My take on the ending:
I would like to believe that Chihiro and Rea ended up being together. In chapter 56, he explained what happened to him as becoming pretty much like his grandfather -half zombie. "If I were to hear the reason from Darin, I bet she'd say this, "in regard with the death of your body" is likely that all the doses of zombie poison you had receive from Rea until now, has already affected you, and somehow you became just like your grandfather."

We learned in the manga from his grandfathers second wife, that he had been living for a very very long time due to the zombie poison...not only that but he was not able to feel pain. He ate normal food, but was unable to taste it. He also ate the poisonous hydrangea leaves quite often. Additionally, at Zoma....Darin's father brought up the point that Chihiro was not his biological grandson....which means that his mother was probably adopted. I suspect that due to being half zombie, joguro was unable to have children of his own.

This is what has lead me to believe that the grandchildren shown in chapter 56.1, could not possibly be Chihiro's grandchildren. If he had definitely become like his grandfather, than he more than likely would not have been able to have any. I would like to think that Chihiro and Rea were able to live out their lives together, hence was written in the end after she made her "thanks for the meal" joke. It said "always together, until I decay".

In my opinion, it's incomprehensible to build this story on their relationship and falling in love just to have it end with chihiro marrying one of the other female characters and having kids with them while Rea is living out her days alone in the forest. I just can't force myself to really even think that's a possibility. Besides Chihiro already admitted that he only had feelings for Rea and that he would acknowledge but not return rankos romantic feelings for him.

Anyway, I think that the children shown in 56.1 are probably Mero's children. Ranko and Darin were not the only ones interested in zombies, as Mero and her friends were constantly speaking about zombie conspiracies and rea herself. The granddaughter looked like mero more than the other female characters to me. I could also see her telling her own grandchildren ghost stories like that for fun by comparing to when she tried to play a similar prank on the camping trip.

Moving forward, I think chapter 56.1 confused the ended for many of us. It was easier to draw conclusions before I even read it. It would be a miricle if the author came out with a statement or new special chapter with answers or conclusive explanations on the story in its entirety. This open ending and loose ends became a drawback to such a great story.

missnoelaniMay 13, 2017 8:10 AM
Feb 22, 2017 10:32 PM

Oct 2016
This is such a BS.

I can't believe the author went all way to sacrifice all the romance build-up just to let Rea alone and push with other route.

Jesus. I shouldn't have read this extra chapter.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Mar 22, 2017 3:15 AM
Mar 2017
After reading this extra chapter i got to conclusion that it was made intentionally to troll readers. Just throw some random characters with features of main characters with reference to this granmother person and confusion coctail is ready.

The only thing that is sure is that Rea is not decaying, don't know though if white hair is make up or greyed naturally. As for Chihiro, his absence in this chapters doesn't mean anything, it does only means, that he doesn't have a role here, he might be alive and just sit somewhere else at that time, but his presence would not fit here, decrease the level of confusion and water it down. I like that this chapter doesn't went fanservice way, but as a whole it is quite pointless. At which pouint Chihiro would dump on Rea anyway after what he left through? I don't think it's because of having kids. I could imagine that if Rea pass away, but she's dead and kicking. Bringing up the last message from chapter 56, you could at least clearly conclude that they will be together from now on till Rea rots. Marriage with Ranko would destroy everything about romance that this manga build up from the beginning, it's just like throwing to the bin 5 years of your hard work for no reason.

The similarities of the kids to main characters could be explained too, if one the grandmothers is Mero, it could explain similarity to Chihiro (your sister can born a kid similar to you, the chance is less likely but still exists), Ranko could be other grandmother, but the chapter implies that only one of them is alive.

The bonus chapter fullfilled its role thought, author wanted to create a brainstorm and succeed, not in the greatest fashion as you would propably never see new sankarea chapters again. It's like you were left with a hole in a soul.
sanjyuubiMar 22, 2017 3:20 AM
Apr 14, 2017 7:39 PM
Apr 2017
Well... It's time for the Zombologist to come to the paradox....

Let me tell you... Who said a zombie can't bear a child?

Yes... Sanka Rea could not bear a child properly because she is a zombie and it's what you guys think you know, just like what people think, that zombies only eat flesh, but it depend on who created it...

They did not said Sanka Rea's cell died.. It just stop decaying... That means there is a good chance her egg cell is still alive and able to be fertilized... But due to the body conditions, she cannot be pregnant.. But there is a way to manipulate this if she really want to be pregnant... Another way if she really want to have a child is using tube baby thingy (I'm specialized on Neurons, Disease, cells and other stuff... Don't hope i know about those baby thingy...)

Next thing is if Furuya's Grand father could live that long, how come Furuya is dead by now? There should be a possibilities that he is still alive...

By the way why is it chapters 59 in MAL? Is it an error?

Jun 15, 2017 10:27 AM
Jul 2016
love the manga and love the anime but yes this chapter is confusing me
Aug 25, 2017 6:58 PM

May 2008
if we assume the grandmother is mero, it kind of all makes sense imo. i think everyone is overthinking things and confusing themselves.
Sep 3, 2017 9:06 PM
Jul 2014
I stumbled upon this precious story from 9gag(death scene of Rea)

even though this manga and topic is old, I would like to add the endings that might've occured, since, after all, this is an open ending, so I chose my own ending.
To me the way the author made his open ending feels pretty well made(imo)

RaidenHUN said:
I think they were just some random kids, cos Rea would have just died and Chihiro would not left her for anyone else.
Not to mention she said grandmother, if Furuya would be related to the she would have said father/grandfather not grandma

this is tbh one of a fact, Rea should've said grandfather if they're the grand children of Chihiro, since Chihiro has been exposed to the poison he would have a much longer life span(obviously not long like his grandpa). This is one of the endings I thought aswell.

The ending I chose was this
rekster said:
well i would like to add my hypothesis too,

what i think happened is that Rea and chihiro lived together in the forest and chihiro died of old age OR he also became a zombie (i would personally become a zombie) and lives together forever until they decay.

the children are the grand children of the heroins after they grew up and married different into different families.

well that's just my conclusion so feel free to believe it or make up your own conclusion.

PS i spent a lot of time outraged at the ending and finally came to this one since i can stand a story without an ending, man you don't know the hell i went through, almost stopped reading manga because of the ending.

probably Chihiro is living(zombie tho), wandering in the forest/city or just somewhere in the forest behind Rea.

Chihiro would never marry Ranko, or anybody else, he risked his life to be together with Rea, I will never think that Chihiro left Rea for somebody else, even if Rea persuaded him. Unless that's the end that you chose

the rest of the endings that I've imagined.... just read this topic, and choose the ending that would satisfy you.

P.S. tbh this literally nearly destroyed a huge part of me(like any other great mangas/anime that you finished but smaller), the first thing Rea on 56.1 immediately thought that she's all alone... and so I went to this topic and happy now.... (probably)
I would've been satisfied anyways if there was no 56.1
WxAaRoNxWSep 3, 2017 9:17 PM
Oct 29, 2017 8:51 PM
Oct 2014
OK now you guys listen, this is the most realistic answer I have:
The extra chapter is telling us about Sankarea's story. But wait, not in the universe that we've been reading this entire time, but in another universe. Here are some clues:
1. Rea's hair in the universe we know is black, in the extra chapter it was white;
2. In chapter 56, it was said that Rea and Chihiro will be together, 'till she decays;
3. It's an extra chapter anyway.

Conclusion: Chihiro ended up with whoever it is (Ranko, Darin, or even Mero) that we thought in the extra chapter was in the other universe, in the universe we've been following Rea is being together with Chihiro forever.

For you guys who doesn't know what the other universe is, here is the concept. We live in a universe, that is some believes just one of billions or even trillions universes that exist. It is called the multiverse. Simply, it's like things happen similarly between different universes, only has some differences. For example, America's president in 2017 is Trump in our universe, but probably in the other universe it is Hillary. Or probably in the other universe, North Korea joins the UN. The Multiverse concept also used in Marvel, DC, or maybe others.
Nov 4, 2017 5:10 PM
Jan 2017
Hi guys, i just finished the manga, and I was quite intrigued about this "extra" chapter.
as you can imagine, it comes to something "after" the end, so I honestly do not know if we can consider canon or not.
but in fact it's kind of frustrating not to know the real end, if Chihiro was even with Rea, if he decided on Ranko, or anyone else.
My theory (well crazy by the way) would be: taking into consideration what Rea told him in the last dialogue, she knew that although her sanity was stable some relapse could indeed happen and with it all that horror again occur, jeopardizing the precious life of Chihiro, his family and friends so she decided to isolate herself.
now, I can not explain if Chihiro actually lived with her (knowing that he has a semi-immortal body like Grandpa's), if he died, what happened ... it's all conceptual, we decide what we want it to have happened

I personally and sincerely wanted him to stay with Ranko, I like to see them together as much as Rea.
for me, the grandchildren are two of them, but the fact that she mentioned only "grandmother" is a great mystery to me ... stopping to reflect, Mero was not as close to Rea as Ranko was in certain parts, Do you remember that children mention in "eating hearts"? okay everyone knew what happened with Chihiro but I think that was much more striking for Ranko than the rest of the family and the body of the Rea is aging very slowly as Jogorou, her hair has gone white as ours, her fingers continue with the bandages, let's say she's going to live for hundreds of years, like Grandpa Furuya, for me.

I just wanted to imagine what actually happened to Darin (I adored her), I hope she has found the acceptance and love she so longed for.

If I liked this ending to be open? yes and no, I wanted to have a confirmation yes but it is also nice to be able to decide what pleases you more hahahah

I loved reading all your personal theories, it enriches our imagination.
strong hug to all of MAL !
Dec 5, 2017 7:39 PM
Jul 2017
End said:
Alright I'm confuse here. This is the ending of manga. Okay Rea can't give birth since she is a zombie. Who is the mother of Tama and Rai-nee ? Anyone can give at least a good answer ?

On the wiki and many group discussion, Unfortunately, they give these three answer.

-Mero Furuya
-Ranko saoji
-Darin Arnschent kurumiya

lol wtf, which one did actually chihiro married ?

I have a feeling that the grandparents Rea was referring to was her own parents (Danichiro Sanka & Aria Sanka). Both Danichiro and Aria probably had 2 children called Rai and Tama. The reason for my logic is both Danichiro seemed like he is a changed man, and has finally noticed his second wife, Aria (Chapter 56). Also, Rai can be seen wearing a ribbon that look like it belonged to the maids working in the Sanka family which was probably Aria's ribbon. The hair pin on Tama would most probably be given by Rea so as to celebrate the birth of the child by her own parents. (The reason for Tama obsession for zombies was probably because of Chihiro's influence when both Rea and Chihiro visited them) OR (Tama found out that Rea is a zombie. Remember in one of the Chapters (I think it was Chapter 50 something...) Chihiro had a obsession with zombies after he found out that his mother became a zombie? It was probably the same for Tama's case where Tama found out that Rea was actually a zombie.

I highly doubt that Chihiro left Rea as both of them seemed to be deeply in love with each other. Furthermore, I doubt that Chihiro would have chose Darin or Wanko as there was no progress in their relationship (He was away with Danichiro to get an artificial heart transplanted in him).

Hence, I believe that Chihiro and Rea are still together. The purpose of the Special Chapter was probably to conclude the relationship between Rea's own parents as they have been bickering the whole series and no proper conclusion was given to them in Chapter 55. So the Author probably wanted to make a Special Chapter with Danichiro and Aria children playing around to tell the readers that both the couple Danichiro & Aria and Rea & Chihiro had a happy ending.

I seriously do not think the author wanted to create more confusion. But these are just my thoughts...
Dec 21, 2017 12:02 AM

Feb 2015
exist_archived said:
End said:
Alright I'm confuse here. This is the ending of manga. Okay Rea can't give birth since she is a zombie. Who is the mother of Tama and Rai-nee ? Anyone can give at least a good answer ?

On the wiki and many group discussion, Unfortunately, they give these three answer.

-Mero Furuya
-Ranko saoji

I have a feeling that the grandparents Rea was referring to was her own parents (Danichiro Sanka & Aria Sanka). Both Danichiro and Aria probably had 2 children called Rai and Tama. The reason for my logic is both Danichiro seemed like he is a changed man, and has finally noticed his second wife, Aria (Chapter 56). Also, Rai can be seen wearing a ribbon that look like it belonged to the maids working in the Sanka family which was probably Aria's ribbon. The hair pin on Tama would most probably be given by Rea so as to celebrate the birth of the child by her own parents. (The reason for Tama obsession for zombies was probably because of Chihiro's influence when both Rea and Chihiro visited them) OR (Tama found out that Rea is a zombie. Remember in one of the Chapters (I think it was Chapter 50 something...) Chihiro had a obsession with zombies after he found out that his mother became a zombie? It was probably the same for Tama's case where Tama found out that Rea was actually a zombie.

I highly doubt that Chihiro left Rea as both of them seemed to be deeply in love with each other. Furthermore, I doubt that Chihiro would have chose Darin or Wanko as there was no progress in their relationship (He was away with Danichiro to get an artificial heart transplanted in him).

Hence, I believe that Chihiro and Rea are still together. The purpose of the Special Chapter was probably to conclude the relationship between Rea's own parents as they have been bickering the whole series and no proper conclusion was given to them in Chapter 55. So the Author probably wanted to make a Special Chapter with Danichiro and Aria children playing around to tell the readers that both the couple Danichiro & Aria and Rea & Chihiro had a happy ending.

I seriously do not think the author wanted to create more confusion. But these are just my thoughts...

After a while, I guess the author just left the conclusion up to the readers. Not that surprised as I've read quite a number of manga with ending vibe like this. But honestly, Im pretty much satisfied with the manga, its good while the pace rather slow but the overall it is a nice read. Well, time to go hunting a couple of new series to read. Thanks bro, and as well the others that joining in the discussion ;)
Dec 22, 2017 1:28 AM
Mar 2016
Honestly though... this manga was really goin good and then the last four or five chapters just sucked. I don't need a perfect ending. But my god.

However, I do need one that makes sense. Nothing about this makes sense.

1.) When has someone who is immortal ever been happy with that shit. She sure as hell didn't get to experience a normal girls life for more than, lets be honest like maybe two weeks. NOBODY WHO IS IMMORTAL IS EVER ACTUALLY HAPPY. Like in all honesty. That last "bonus" chapter just made me dislike the "conclusion" more and I feel pretty generous even putting conclusion in parenthesis. If Rea proved she was happy with the so called "normal girls life" then fine, but I'm sure we all know that even though she got to experience SOME thing it really wasn't much.. other than experience normal girl drama... except for the whole her being a zombie thing.

2.) Chirihos love for zombies still never got him his zombie girlfriend? what was the god damn point of this manga then? I mean really. I thought that's what was happening, and the entire point of this. They LITERALLY talked about it multiple times and it couldn't happen. Ridiculous.

3.) Saying, "Thanks for the meal" doesn't fit a nice ending nor do I care if it is a nice ending.. as long as it makes sense, but that doesn't make any sense. That heavy moment and that's what she said? Jesus just kill her now she shouldn't even be alive anyway After all they've been through how did that not piss him off to some extent? And where was the love?

4.) Seriously? where was the love?! how can they go through all that shit and not be head over heels for someone who did all that for them or loved them enough to do all that for them. What a joke.

5.) Honestly the whole author wants you to decide yourself crap? Oh yeah that always goes over real well when you throw in two more random characters that nobody is sure who's they are for sure.

I had real high hopes for this after seeing the anime, but now I almost wish I had just stuck with the anime, and maybe others feel the same. There's prolly more I could go on about but they just haven't crossed my mind yet.

Anyway, it could have been good, but wasn't and now I need something far more relaxing... anyone got anything? :P

Jan 1, 2018 5:57 AM

Feb 2015
Kex777 said:
Honestly though... this manga was really goin good and then the last four or five chapters just sucked. I don't need a perfect ending. But my god.

1.) When has someone who is immortal ever been happy with that shit. She sure as hell didn't get to experience a normal girls life for more than, lets be honest like maybe two weeks. NOBODY WHO IS IMMORTAL IS EVER ACTUALLY HAPPY. Like in all honesty. That last "bonus" chapter just made me dislike the "conclusion" more and I feel pretty generous even putting conclusion in parenthesis. If Rea proved she was happy with the so called "normal girls life" then fine, but I'm sure we all know that even though she got to experience SOME thing it really wasn't much.. other than experience normal girl drama... except for the whole her being a zombie thing.

2.) Chirihos love for zombies still never got him his zombie girlfriend? what was the god damn point of this manga then? I mean really. I thought that's what was happening, and the entire point of this. They LITERALLY talked about it multiple times and it couldn't happen. Ridiculous.

3.) Saying, "Thanks for the meal" doesn't fit a nice ending nor do I care if it is a nice ending.. as long as it makes sense, but that doesn't make any sense. That heavy moment and that's what she said? Jesus just kill her now she shouldn't even be alive anyway After all they've been through how did that not piss him off to some extent? And where was the love?

4.) Seriously? where was the love?! how can they go through all that shit and not be head over heels for someone who did all that for them or loved them enough to do all that for them. What a joke.

5.) Honestly the whole author wants you to decide yourself crap? Oh yeah that always goes over real well when you throw in two more random characters that nobody is sure who's they are for sure.

I had real high hopes for this after seeing the anime, but now I almost wish I had just stuck with the anime, and maybe others feel the same. There's prolly more I could go on about but they just haven't crossed my mind yet.

Anyway, it could have been good, but wasn't and now I need something far more relaxing... anyone got anything? :P

here is my opinion for all of your numbered list;

1. It is quite true as you said, most of immortal cant be happy. idk if this trend but most of manga with immortal concept wont be a happy story. it start good like maybe this one will try to happy path but sadly i already noticed half way this just the cycle of drama. She just experienced the immortal and maybe a few thing to be excited about like strength and etc etc but as for happiness you can pretty much knows it is hardly there. What actually looks to me is the author running out of idea how to end it properly, as such this chapter must be the black sheep for the sake of 'end'. The story need to end, and the author choose this path. Its just too bad.

2. rather i think it does is implying more points of why zombie and human can never be together. e.g. rotten skins, different lust, immortality and solid fact the one side is already a corpse. Well to be honest , when Rea die, i already knows where this is going anyways. idk what the romance is about anymore, maybe a love that pass a boundary of time.

3. well too bad because being zombie is about living with corpse body. they cant just kill her as it will ruined even the manga itself. but not much said, the manga is already ruined in many aspect.. and it is hopeless ..

4. they love each others, it just after all the trouble and hardship, they come to term that they just cant be together no matter how much love is inside. in the end, it just become a memory to treasure , sigh

5. I hope it turned better but sadly it wasn't. Move on ya mate

I got a couple but i atm only 2 come into mind, try nukoduke as well machida-kun no sekai , both is really great in calming vibe yet enjoyable
Jan 1, 2018 9:55 AM
Mar 2016
End said:
Kex777 said:

1. It is quite true as you said, most of immortal cant be happy. idk if this trend but most of manga with immortal concept wont be a happy story. it start good like maybe this one will try to happy path but sadly i already noticed half way this just the cycle of drama. She just experienced the immortal and maybe a few thing to be excited about like strength and etc etc but as for happiness you can pretty much knows it is hardly there. What actually looks to me is the author running out of idea how to end it properly, as such this chapter must be the black sheep for the sake of 'end'. The story need to end, and the author choose this path. Its just too bad.

2. rather i think it does is implying more points of why zombie and human can never be together. e.g. rotten skins, different lust, immortality and solid fact the one side is already a corpse. Well to be honest , when Rea die, i already knows where this is going anyways. idk what the romance is about anymore, maybe a love that pass a boundary of time.

3. well too bad because being zombie is about living with corpse body. they cant just kill her as it will ruined even the manga itself. but not much said, the manga is already ruined in many aspect.. and it is hopeless ..

4. they love each others, it just after all the trouble and hardship, they come to term that they just cant be together no matter how much love is inside. in the end, it just become a memory to treasure , sigh

I got a couple but i atm only 2 come into mind, try nukoduke as well machida-kun no sekai , both is really great in calming vibe yet enjoyable

True. You made plenty of good points. I've since calmed down and even forgotten about this manga TBH. I was just super heated after reading it while staying up late to read it one nigh XD I've also come to terms with it and the ending has grown on me to some extent. It just wasn't what felt right, especially with that bonus kind of chapter. It's fine though. No author is perfect and they did their best.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll be sure to check them out!
Jan 1, 2018 8:53 PM

Feb 2015
Kex777 said:
End said:

True. You made plenty of good points. I've since calmed down and even forgotten about this manga TBH. I was just super heated after reading it while staying up late to read it one nigh XD I've also come to terms with it and the ending has grown on me to some extent. It just wasn't what felt right, especially with that bonus kind of chapter. It's fine though. No author is perfect and they did their best.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll be sure to check them out!

Thank you, you also made a solid fact actually and i love to discuss things like this with others ;) Well long short, sooner or late our heart will always move one when we can get past it xD. It's still true tho that this end is wasn't right at all lol.

No problem, enjoy it mate :D
Feb 20, 2018 12:27 AM

Aug 2013
Oh boy.. I wish I didn't read this extra chapter

The anime has been sit on my harddisk for years, I forgot what stop me from watching this in the past
(Maybe the gore part of Rea turn me away). But I'm glad I give this a chance, coz the story is really good after they start living together. Well long story short, the cliffhanger at the end of the anime (when Darin appeared), made me read the manga.

but man.. the ending was sucks. I read all the chapter in one sitting but almost stopped when Rea lost her memory, that's just too sad. with a hope that the memories will come back later I continue.. But sadly again, until the very last chapter that's not coming back. And then, the special chapter hurt me more mentally T.T

as for my impression, I think and agree with this theory:
Rea and Chihiro continue their relationship but can't live normally at that town anymore, not after the tragedy at that school and what their friends saw in the last few chapters. Maybe they move somewhere, and Chihiro eventually die, thus Rea living alone. Those kids might be mero's grandchilds, but the one who tell them the story would be Ranko (I just can't imagine mero tell them such story, Ranko called Rea monster before after all)

It would be much, much and much better if the author ends it like these:
1. give special chapter which show every main characters life, just few flash forwards are okay, and ended with Chihiro and Rea scene chatting peacefully somewhere. that would be ideal, OR
2. the 56.1 is fine, but add extra scene/panel where Chihiro appeared behind Rea, said: "aah.. you scare them, poor kids" or something like that(yes, he's still living). Honestly, the lone Rea is just really, really sad.

Well, I had feeling that this story will have sad ending, ever since I started watch the anime. But even if it ends with Rea disappear/die still much better than this.

Okay that's all, sorry for my long rant in this very old topic.
now I will need some time to heal my poor heart.. -.-
JuarezFeb 20, 2018 12:42 AM
Mar 20, 2018 10:51 PM
Mar 2018
Juarez said:
Oh boy.. I wish I didn't read this extra chapter

The anime has been sit on my harddisk for years, I forgot what stop me from watching this in the past
(Maybe the gore part of Rea turn me away). But I'm glad I give this a chance, coz the story is really good after they start living together. Well long story short, the cliffhanger at the end of the anime (when Darin appeared), made me read the manga.

but man.. the ending was sucks. I read all the chapter in one sitting but almost stopped when Rea lost her memory, that's just too sad. with a hope that the memories will come back later I continue.. But sadly again, until the very last chapter that's not coming back. And then, the special chapter hurt me more mentally T.T

as for my impression, I think and agree with this theory:
Rea and Chihiro continue their relationship but can't live normally at that town anymore, not after the tragedy at that school and what their friends saw in the last few chapters. Maybe they move somewhere, and Chihiro eventually die, thus Rea living alone. Those kids might be mero's grandchilds, but the one who tell them the story would be Ranko (I just can't imagine mero tell them such story, Ranko called Rea monster before after all)

It would be much, much and much better if the author ends it like these:
1. give special chapter which show every main characters life, just few flash forwards are okay, and ended with Chihiro and Rea scene chatting peacefully somewhere. that would be ideal, OR
2. the 56.1 is fine, but add extra scene/panel where Chihiro appeared behind Rea, said: "aah.. you scare them, poor kids" or something like that(yes, he's still living). Honestly, the lone Rea is just really, really sad.

Well, I had feeling that this story will have sad ending, ever since I started watch the anime. But even if it ends with Rea disappear/die still much better than this.

Okay that's all, sorry for my long rant in this very old topic.
now I will need some time to heal my poor heart.. -.-
I agree to you i like your conclusion that chihiro still alive and they stay together until the end :) I wish didn't read the extra ch. Too :(
lKyon-kunMar 20, 2018 10:56 PM
May 4, 2018 3:14 PM
Sep 2017
From what it seems of the characters appearance I believe that mero may be the grandmother mentioned, this is just speculation so it may not be correct but it seems quite likely, if this theory has already been said I am sorry ;)
Nov 10, 2018 7:16 AM
Nov 2018
So I just finished reading the manga and here is what I understand. this is what had happened . in the end of chapter 56 the author confirmed that chihiro indeed end up with Rae.

And for the chapter 56.1 the two kids/grandkids must be of Mero( his sister )

As in chapter 56 chihiro said he has no problem living with Rae. may be they get married but Rae is a zombie so she can't have children .
so what I think is Chihiro and Rae were living together but Chihiro died and as of Rea she can't die.
In chapter 56.1 Mero must have send her grandchildren to deliver the leaves to tunnel .as you have seen in the end Rae said " say thanks to your grandmother"
when Chihiro had died Rae went to live in the tunnel and you might have seen her body was looking like a tree so it can be that she was dying too.
For for cleaning the confusion those kids were Mero's and Chihiro ended up with Rae and it was confirmed by the writer in the end of the chapter 56 I want to upload image of that but I don't know how to.
Dec 3, 2018 7:40 PM

Jul 2016
This is TWO MOST ACCEPTABLE ENDING.
(Note: REA IS ZOMBIE SO SHE CANT GAVE BIRTH)

THE MOST LOGICAL ACCORDING TRUE MANGA PLOT
1. Rei is the grandaughter of Mero x Mr. ?
Tama is the grandson of Ranko x Mr. ??
Chihiro stay with Rea till death because: a. Chap 56 titled "together till rea decays, b. Rea didn't mention to rei and tama "ur grandfather" as like she thinkin like "Chihiro is my man and i dont care abot ur grandfather whoever it is"

THE MOST LOGICAL ACCORDING REI AND TAMA FACE + HAIRSTYLE COMPARISON
(No Chihiro x Mero, u may bang your cousin but not your sibling dude wake up)
2.1 Rei is from Chihiro x Darin or Meru x Mr. ?, Tama is from Ranko x Mr.?
2.2 Rei is from Meru x Mr. ?, Tama is from Ranko x Chihiro
2.3 Both is from Chihiro x Ranko

Case closed ty
bakamelDec 3, 2018 7:50 PM

Let's do some amazing moves dude!
Dec 3, 2018 7:44 PM

Jul 2016
NOW LET ME TELL THE REAL END DUDE

1. Chihiro stay with Rea until the world ends. So Chihiro is imposible to have childs with other girls, even if Rea is immortal zombie and impossible to gave birth.
2. Rei is the granddaughter of Meru with Mr. X
3. Tama is the grandson of Ranko with Mr. Y

Case closed thank you
bakamelDec 3, 2018 7:53 PM

Jan 14, 2019 9:23 PM

Jun 2015
bakamel said:

1. Chihiro stay with Rea until the world ends. So Chihiro is imposible to have childs with other girls, even if Rea is immortal zombie and impossible to gave birth.

Case closed thank you

Chihiro and Rea Immortal?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 22, 2019 2:47 PM
Jan 2019
Guys you gotta look at the facts we know for sure. Like first Rea became an urban legend since we find out that they know about a witch that eats your heart or grants you a wish and she likes those leaves and all that,that means someone close to Rea that knew about the heart incident told that "legend" to the kids,and since we know that grandmas and grandpas like telling stories,we can assume that the grandmother tolt the story to the kids. Most of you will agree with me that the grandmother is probably Ranko since she is the one that would do that. The point is its an "open ending" and look at the "open". that means we don't have facts,perhaps the writer didn't know himself what the end should be,or he just didn't want to dissapoint the fans with deciding which girl it will be. I know it is really unsatisfying but its probably for the best,gotta deal with that.

The anime and manga are great btw,very moving ;)
Feb 20, 2019 12:25 AM

Jul 2016
arief- said:
bakamel said:

Case closed thank you

Chihiro and Rea Immortal?
nah he is dead.. only rea left

May 15, 2019 4:44 PM

Aug 2008
So after disappointing end we get a confusing epilogue as well. "Say hi to Grandma"? So I guess kids of Chihiro and Wanko? Maybe? Either way she stays in the woods? Pffft.
Nov 20, 2019 4:52 AM
Aug 2017
tbh i just think those 2 kids are some local kids who've heard of local tales and they want to see it for themselves, so nothing about if they're chihiro's grandkids or not, "grandmother" she said were just simply her friend
Dec 2, 2019 11:34 AM
Dec 2019
Welp , I read the special chapter ... Thats a big mistake of my life , now I always want to find information about ss2 anime because I hope they gonna renew :( ( I know it won't happen but got damn that ending hurt my heart )
Mar 31, 2020 4:00 PM
Mar 2019
archeotech said:
I decided to give an ending which might be possible.

The grandmother is mero and Rea doesn't really know who the grandfather is so who cares.
Remember both Mero and Chihiro were traumatised by their mother turning into a zombie so were both weird and Mero had friends that were obsessed with zombies. Most characters in this series were into zombies so wouldn't be strange that the grandkids were as well. Also Mero enjoyed setting up that test of courage earlier in the story and spooking people which is kind of what she did again to the kids.

Chihiro would've aged much slower so is most likely alive still. As he put it he'd also turned into a monster.
Also Rea was content cause she literally and figuratively had Chihiro's heart so they would always be together. Chihiro had essentially rejected Wanko before so possible they never got together.

I'm also disappointed myself with this ending but hope people like my interpretation. :)

Edit: Actually thinking on it this interpretation makes most sense.
When Rea thought that Chihiro was dead she couldn't bear living so to me the fact that she's living happily means that Chihiro must be alive somewhere and she would've mentioned him to the kids if he was their grandfather. We also have to wonder if Chihiro could even have kids due to his half zombie state cause it's possible the grandfather adopted Chihiro's mother as it was said in ch40 that Chihiro wasn't related to his grandfather. Also his grandfather never had any other kids even with his second wife whom he spent several years with so this could be a side effect.

The kids obsession with zombies could also be because of Chihiro who's probably still obsessed with them. If Mero was in her 60s then Chihiro might only seem to be in his 40s due to the effect of the zombie poison and very hard to kill seeing as he survived having his heart ripped out.

Think that wraps it up and makes most plausible senario. :)

Thank you, you just saved me from a trauma and a broken heart over a special chapter. I also think that the grandmother of the children at the end is Mero's and the grandfather is her guy friend that is obsessed with zombies, which explains Tama's behavior, love for zombies, Rai-nee's hair color and style is a mix of the two.
yesumyaaMar 31, 2020 4:07 PM
May 12, 2020 9:25 PM
Jul 2017
kkeuroi said:
archeotech said:
I decided to give an ending which might be possible.

The grandmother is mero and Rea doesn't really know who the grandfather is so who cares.
Remember both Mero and Chihiro were traumatised by their mother turning into a zombie so were both weird and Mero had friends that were obsessed with zombies. Most characters in this series were into zombies so wouldn't be strange that the grandkids were as well. Also Mero enjoyed setting up that test of courage earlier in the story and spooking people which is kind of what she did again to the kids.

Chihiro would've aged much slower so is most likely alive still. As he put it he'd also turned into a monster.
Also Rea was content cause she literally and figuratively had Chihiro's heart so they would always be together. Chihiro had essentially rejected Wanko before so possible they never got together.

I'm also disappointed myself with this ending but hope people like my interpretation. :)

Edit: Actually thinking on it this interpretation makes most sense.
When Rea thought that Chihiro was dead she couldn't bear living so to me the fact that she's living happily means that Chihiro must be alive somewhere and she would've mentioned him to the kids if he was their grandfather. We also have to wonder if Chihiro could even have kids due to his half zombie state cause it's possible the grandfather adopted Chihiro's mother as it was said in ch40 that Chihiro wasn't related to his grandfather. Also his grandfather never had any other kids even with his second wife whom he spent several years with so this could be a side effect.

The kids obsession with zombies could also be because of Chihiro who's probably still obsessed with them. If Mero was in her 60s then Chihiro might only seem to be in his 40s due to the effect of the zombie poison and very hard to kill seeing as he survived having his heart ripped out.

Think that wraps it up and makes most plausible senario. :)

Thank you, you just saved me from a trauma and a broken heart over a special chapter. I also think that the grandmother of the children at the end is Mero's and the grandfather is her guy friend that is obsessed with zombies, which explains Tama's behavior, love for zombies, Rai-nee's hair color and style is a mix of the two.

Extra chapter is Not Canon. In the official english translation the author said that is on a parallel-world kind of thing and its not canon.
May 12, 2020 9:27 PM
Jul 2017
ArbiterVildred said:
Welp , I read the special chapter ... Thats a big mistake of my life , now I always want to find information about ss2 anime because I hope they gonna renew :( ( I know it won't happen but got damn that ending hurt my heart )

Extra chapter is Not Canon. In the official english translation the author said that is on a parallel-world kind of thing and its not canon.
Jun 13, 2020 7:15 PM
Oct 2017
I feel like this ending is very confusing overall. First, she is not in the forest, and on some abandoned train tracks. I find this unlikely to be the play she chose to live in solitude, so she might be here for some other reason like to play a prank on the children (I know it seems like a bit of a stretch, but it is also a stretch just to say she moved there because she liked it). Second, after she and Chihiro met up in the previous episode, it seems like she is less guilty about eating his heart knowing that he is alive because she is able to joke about it. Additionally, these kids could be Meru's grandchildren and completely unrelated to whoever Chihiro fell in love with and when she says "say hi to your grandmother for me", it doesn't necessarily mean Chihiro is dead because it could just mean that Chihiro isn't the grandfather of these children. Lastly, Chihiro's body is slow to die, so even after a heart transplant, like his grandfather, he should be able to live longer than a normal lifespan due to his exposure to the poison.

Chihiro was willing to die for Rea in that moment and that strong love for her was something I wouldn't see him just giving up that love due to her misconception and some awkwardness. For these reasons it seems that Chihiro should hook up with Rea in the end despite all what has happened.

However, on the other hand, she was completely isolated for nearly a year after the incident and seemed to withdraw from society and give up on being a normal girl, unlike what Chihiro wanted. She lived with that for a year and in that time, it is possible she would decide to live like that for the rest of her life, even if Chihiro was alive and well as she later found out. She seemed to want to keep living out on her own after meeting Chihiro, but they still loved eachother, and I don't want to believe that Chihiro would give up so easily on their love.

Honestly, this ending doesn't make sense it the first place though. For the first year, no one told her the Chihiro was alive despite her completing withdrawing from society, and this is honestly cruel. If they intended for her to be happy with the reunion as they tried to have at the end of 56, it wouldn't be worth it, because her outlook on life had completely changed at that point. It makes no sense that they wanted them to be happy together, but put that distance between them for so long, so the writing fails the story in my opinion.
Jul 3, 2020 6:56 AM
Jun 2020
I saw this comment on the reddit and this is the closest on how i percieve the ending of sankarea:

"In the end Sankarea is a shonen manga and the author didn't feel the need to clarify the love aspect of it all so from my understanding, she makes the joke of 'thanks for the meal' as a way to jokingly answer his awkward question. Seeing as she did say she was lonely after Babu's death, I doubt chihiro would just leave her alone and go shag it up with Wanko seeing as he was ready to get eaten by her. So imo he just went ahead and lived with Rea after some time alone in the dense forest. Take this how you will but yeah there wasn't a declaration of love but by how wanko acted and set them up and chihiro's feelings through the manga and rea's last act in chapter 55 it's fairly easy to assume they ultimately end up together."

-ConfusedVader1 (credits to the one who said this)

like i said this is the closest one on how i percieve the ending but it could be wrong. Since it is an open ending, what happens next is up to us and our imagination.
Nov 17, 2020 12:58 PM
Nov 2020
End said:
Alright I'm pretty much confused here. This is the ending of manga. Okay firstly Rea can't give birth since she is a zombie. Who is the mother of Tama and Rai-nee ? Anyone can give at least a proper answer ?

-Mero Furuya
-Ranko saoji

Wanko married a different guy than Furuya and had kids.
Or
Mero married and had kids and also kept relations with Rea as she saw her as her Mother

Or- the least likely route
Darin marries Furuya and Furuya is already dead by the time that happens.

Anyway, we have a immortal zombie here.
Feb 10, 2021 8:51 AM
Feb 2020
This is my inference of the chapter . Chihiro lived out his life with Rea.Ranko had a kid with someone else . This kid then had Rai and Tama(Since Ranko also became a Zombie fan, that could be how it came to Tama). Grandmother refers to Ranko. As for Chihiro, he is either dead or perhaps he could still be living with Rea (He says that even he has become a monster, so with a situation similar to Gramps, it is quite possible). How I see it, Chihiro and Rea still live together in that Tunnel and might have planned to die together just like the Gramps and his frozen wife. This is based on the last line of chapter 56 that says "From now on, always together until I decay"
Aozora_2kFeb 10, 2021 9:00 AM
Aug 12, 2021 8:14 AM
Mar 2021
c0mpleX911 said:
This is my inference of the chapter . Chihiro lived out his life with Rea.Ranko had a kid with someone else . This kid then had Rai and Tama(Since Ranko also became a Zombie fan, that could be how it came to Tama). Grandmother refers to Ranko. As for Chihiro, he is either dead or perhaps he could still be living with Rea (He says that even he has become a monster, so with a situation similar to Gramps, it is quite possible). How I see it, Chihiro and Rea still live together in that Tunnel and might have planned to die together just like the Gramps and his frozen wife. This is based on the last line of chapter 56 that says "From now on, always together until I decay"

I was looking for something like this. I feel this is most likely (maybe not necessarily Chihiro still being alive although that would be nice) what happens. I feel like everyone saying that It’s Chihiro and X’s grandkids are just kinda wanting Chihiro to end up with someone and have kids.

Going through the other girls in the series we can easily disqualify Darin as the kids grandmother because they don’t really look alike. I saw someone say Mero with the justification that the granddaughter Rai’s hair looks like hers but I honestly don’t see it and there is literally nothing that hints to anything between Mero and Chihiro. Lastly is Wanko (or Ranko I don’t actually know what it’s meant to be at this point) who is most likely the grandmother. Obviously Tama resembles Wanko so that makes it seem more likely compared to others. In the case of Rai is it also likely that it’s Wanko’s granddaughter as although someone pointed out they look like Mero ( I don’t really see it) this can easily be explained as Mero and Wanko being cousins additionally it’s likely it’s someone from Mero’s dad’s side as from Otoki we can understand that Mero’s mum married into the Furuya family and Ranko’s mum married out (hence the different last names between Ranko and Mero and Chihiro.)

In conclusion I’d say these aren’t Chihiro’s kids at all as he shows basically zero romantic interest in anyone besides Rea. As well they don’t really look like him and in most cases in anime I feel like when a character has kids they inherit their parents most recognisable traits like Boruto and Himawari having Naruto’s whiskers and I feel if they were meant to be one of the kids would definitely have Chihiro’s hair.

Sorry for writing in a post that is long dead and for my dreadful writing.
Aug 22, 2021 8:23 AM
Dec 2016
ok i know i am posting this tooooo late but just wanted to join because i got interested in this myself after reading "allenallenallen" post and some other post here and wanted to believe in one of possible endings....
so this is what i think.

if as a grandmother if RANKO, MERO and DARIN are alive than how it can be possible that FURUYA CHIHIRO is dead because as we know he has come in contact with lots of poison, just like her grandfather JOGORO who has lived over 100 of years because of poison side effect one get long lifespan so if we count that means FURUYA CHIHIRO is probably alive.

now the thing about TAMA and REI is that they are son and daughter of any of girl (RANKO, MERO, DARIN) because it is not specified that those 2 are blood related brother and sister, so those 2 can be cousin (possibility).
RANKO x MR. X = TAMA
MERO x MR. Y = REI
DARIN x MR. Z = ??
and FURUYA and REA are living together.
Those 2 children came to REA just out of curiosity because their grandmother told them a story about REA, and FURUYA be like you go have fun with those 2, they are sent by RANKO or MERO.
or REA will be like i will go have fun with those 2 as they are sent by RANKO or MERO.

But if we take possibility that RANKO, MERO or DARIN taking care of REA so they sent those 2 children to deliver those leaves to her so this below possibility is really HIGH....
so just like JOGORO had 3 wives and considering that, REA knows that RANKO have feeling for FURUYA so she allowed FURUYA to marry RANKO and FURUYA visiting REA time to time, because if we take another point in note that no matter how much they love each-other REA and CHIHIRO there still be some differences, so
RANKO x CHIHIRO = TAMA
MERO x MR. X = REI
DARIN x MR. Y = ??

and below are just some possibility
DARIN x CHIHIRO = TAMA (possibility)
MERO x MR. X = REI (possibility)
RANKO x MR. Y = ??

MERO x CHIHIRO not possible because we saw nothing incest like thing here... but lets see just a possibility
MERO x CHIHIRO = REI (possibility)
RANKO x MR. X = TAMA (possibility)
DARIN x MR. Y = ??
Nov 5, 2021 2:17 AM
Apr 2021
Well...my theory is chihiro and ranko had a child...and mero married another man and had a child......chihiro and ranko's child and mero's child got married and Rai and tama was born....the so called grandmother is either ranko or mero...chihiro probably died.
May 6, 2022 10:12 AM
Oct 2020
So I read most of this forum, I am in team Darin X Chihiro, but after reading this forum the most likely posible conclusion was Chihiro x Rea, chihiro died without having a kid then Ranko and Mero married someone else and had grand children

The ending is like just decide what you want to believe even in, believe in the incest route if you want to, this is just what I think happened but I'm not given up on Darin X Chihiro damn it
Dec 28, 2022 3:14 PM
Dec 2022
so Rea is not becoming human again, and becomes an urban legend, its kinda sad for me
May 26, 2023 1:23 PM
Oct 2017
Wanted to read this but now I have ZERO desire to ever pick it up. I'm glad I checked out how it ended before I got involved.
Jul 24, 2023 2:15 AM

Sep 2009
Facts over fandom I always say.

1. Zombies don't age.
2. There are no context clues that inform us on how much time has passed.
3. The physical similarities of both children to Mero and Ranko only hint at their lineage and not any direct relationships.

The most appropriate synopsis is this takes place in a future where Rea still lives in isolation from society and everyone has settled down and continued on their family lineage; at the very least Mero and Ranko have. It could have or could not have been with Chihiro, it could be that Chihiro is living with Rea in isolation, it could be that this takes place in a future where everyone has already passed on. The point of this final chapter is that regardless of what happened exactly Rea is still very much still around and is continues to watch over everyone and their descendants.
Aug 15, 2023 10:18 AM
Aug 2023
Also another thing is that chihiro is well half zombie-ish so that would be hella weird if he had babies. And I don’t think zombies can produce sperm
Sep 4, 2023 11:23 PM
Oct 2017
I agree with this ending being designed so the reader can decide their own ending, that girl looks like Mero-chan, so I would say it is fair to assume she is Mero-chans grandchild, the boy looks like Ranko's grand child, that is the only information we have, and well, we can add so many theories but all of them could be true, the only thing that we can say is that while Rea didn't end up living as a normal girl, she was able to accept her new life, and live happily as a zombie.

And that's all what matters.
Dec 23, 2023 3:44 PM

May 2010
This was too random, felt like placeholder just for author to explain Rea's white hair on the final volume's cover. This whole peepee thing was nasty ew.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 56 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Sep 5, 2014

84 by NaughtySempai »»
Apr 23, 1:07 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 4 Discussion

Laevantein - Mar 17, 2010

49 by Kitsu-nee »»
Oct 29, 2023 3:20 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 1 Discussion

RobinotX - Mar 6, 2010

15 by removed-user »»
Mar 4, 2023 6:57 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 13 Discussion

dbaranyi - Dec 15, 2010

26 by Niamhyuwu »»
Oct 15, 2022 8:45 AM

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 55 Discussion

Henticle-Tentai - Aug 12, 2014

27 by lqt »»
May 23, 2021 1:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.