Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you consider these novels as being canon?
Mar 28, 2015 2:08 AM

Aug 2013
With Kishimoto approving of these novels and even drawing art for them, do you consider them canon at this point?

Each of the ones published thus far fits into the timeline, though some previously non-canon locations, such as Blood Prison, has been included.

To give my opinion, I do.
Mar 29, 2015 10:56 AM

Nov 2012
Kishimoto isn't the writer, so it's basically Fanfiction with the canon stamp.

If I wanted that I can go on fanfiction.net

Sooo, no.
Tch!
Mar 30, 2015 8:00 PM

Aug 2013
0w0 said:

In my opinion, it is simply too blatant to call these novels "fan-fiction".

Each of the novels cover a portion of the blank period between the final two chapters and perfectly fit within the timeline that Kishimoto himself wrote.

In fact, there was an official timeline released especially for this series of novels, which is something that only "The Last: Naruto the Movie" received.

Mar 30, 2015 8:54 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
I will, unless the writer adds something stupid screwing the canon (looking at you writer of the Kenpachi Zaraki novel). The Last was also not written by Kishimoto, but it's canon. Personally, I'm not really interested in the novels. I'd rather have a novel about Kaguya, Hagoromo, Hamura, and that other clan introduced in The Last, than about Sakura, Kakashi, and other characters that we already know everything about.
Apr 5, 2015 11:09 AM

Nov 2012
StevenHu said:
0w0 said:

In my opinion, it is simply too blatant to call these novels "fan-fiction".

Each of the novels cover a portion of the blank period between the final two chapters and perfectly fit within the timeline that Kishimoto himself wrote.

In fact, there was an official timeline released especially for this series of novels, which is something that only "The Last: Naruto the Movie" received.

Blatant? How so? It's written by a FAN. You might as well consider the anime fillers as canon since it fits within the timeline.

Besides, I'm reading Sakura Hiden and the writer doesn't know the characters. Tsunade tells Sakura that Hinata is perfect for Naruto because she's weak-willed, unlike Sakura, so they won't 'be in conflict' much.
Sakura then asks how she can get a man (like Sasuke) to notice her and Tsunade answers "boobs." Sakura miserably notes that Hinata has big ones while she doesn't. Tsunade cheers Sakura up by saying she's just joking and that it depends on the man.

I really can't consider such unrealistic portrayals as canon especially when it's a fan who's writing this crap.

Personally I want to see more scenes of Sasuke getting together with Sakura, not these justifications on why Hinata's the perfect woman for Naruto.

This is Sakura's story. Not NaruHina's.

The Last showed Naruto making shadow clones as a kid, but he didn't know that technique back then, so XD .. . .Kishi you passive baka!
Tch!
Apr 18, 2015 10:53 PM
Nov 2010
^ But they aren't written by fans. They're written by professional authors who were paid to write these novels, lol. That's one major difference between fanfiction and these novels.

That being said, I wouldn't consider these novels canon, either. If anything, I see them as the book equivalent of anime fillers. Take the current chuunin exams filler arc, for example. It's supposed to show us what happened during the time skip before Shippuden and it technically follows the canon timeline (rather poorly, though, I may add), but no one is going to call that canon.
Apr 21, 2015 1:29 AM
Sep 2007
A big part, and I mean BIG part of manga story itself didn't come from Kishimoto's head.

So yeah, I consider them canon.
Apr 24, 2015 7:03 PM

Nov 2012
uzaaya said:
^ But they aren't written by fans. They're written by professional authors who were paid to write these novels, lol. That's one major difference between fanfiction and these novels.

tbh that's even worse. They're not professional at all.

I think their timelines are inconsistent with Naruto Gaiden
Tch!
May 2, 2015 1:09 AM

Mar 2013
StevenHu said:
With Kishimoto approving of these novels and even drawing art for them, do you consider them canon at this point?

Unless if he says it's not then why not say yes.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
May 22, 2015 10:21 AM

Mar 2012
0w0 said:

If I wanted that I can go on fanfiction.net

Sooo, no.

Its all down to Word of God, if Kishimoto says its canon then it is. ofc in your own headcanon you can just dismiss it.
Jun 1, 2015 6:41 AM

Jun 2012
Kishimoto really screrw it big time, 15 years of Naruto and he back stabs the fans. He dragged and dragged the 3 day war and instead of putting in the manga the most important questions and answers, nope... he leaves them to a bunch of writers to do it for him in a novel format!?
Jun 1, 2015 12:44 PM
Jan 2012
Well with Naruto I learned to consider Canon only what I like from filler and such materials. :D
Joke aside, I guess they are canon - as long as they do not fuck with the manga. I mean Yeah, could be considered the same as fan fiction, but who cares as long as it is good. Diablo's Kingdom of shadows and Moon of the spider books were awesome. So were the books about Arthas from the WOW series and most of the Starcraft books. They are all pretty much Canon, cause they use the game's material without interfering with it and Blizzard said it's official. It's the same here I assume. You can decide for yourself if it is or not... Fanfictions don't give you the option to consider its canon - maybe that's the difference. And that it's written by professional authors? I am surprised ast hat Kishimoto is not interested in at least saying what happens with all those people, or coming up with their stories....
Jun 11, 2015 1:34 AM
Nov 2010
0w0 said:
uzaaya said:

tbh that's even worse. They're not professional at all.

I think their timelines are inconsistent with Naruto Gaiden

How are they not professionals? lol If someone is making a living off of what they do, they are a professional in that field.

I'm guessing you didn't/don't like the plot of the novels (and not the actual writing), but that's most likely not even up to them to decide. I'm also guessing that none of the authors were involved with the Naruto franchise prior to the novels, hence all the inconsistencies with the timeline, etc. It has nothing to do with them being professionals or not, because they clearly are. It has more to do with the fact that the company paid third parties to write about characters that they clearly aren't very familiar with.
Dec 3, 2015 8:06 AM
Jan 2015
Canon is just a bullshit term thrown around to make fiction more important than what it is. So, yes, why not?
Jan 14, 2017 2:00 PM
Jan 2016
I considered them to be very loosely canon until recently. Now they're animating some of them... (I believe they're on Shikamaru's Story) So now I'm a little more inclined to think they do belong as part of the true canon.
Dec 7, 2021 4:18 PM

Nov 2013
I usually consider everything oficially released as canon unless it's either stated to not be canon or directly contradicts the work of the primary author.
You all need to watch Nami.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Naruto Hiden Series Chapter 26 Discussion

thatPinkSpider - Mar 1, 2017

0 by thatPinkSpider »»
Mar 1, 2017 8:32 AM

» Updates on Official Translations?

Duckielover151 - Jan 14, 2017

0 by Duckielover151 »»
Jan 14, 2017 2:03 PM

» Has anyone been reading the unofficial translations?

StevenHu - Mar 20, 2015

8 by Jerkhov »»
Jul 23, 2016 7:45 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.