Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 1, 2021 7:27 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Really interesting ideas for the art and it was pretty good, especially the whole castle part, but I'm not really a fan of the plot itself, still a pretty good movie overall
Jan 22, 2021 1:21 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
I liked this movie though it was a little slow for me and maybe dragged on in a few instances. The characters were charming and the animation is great for the time, as well as the soundtrack. I can definitely see why people put such high regard on this studio.

Unfortunately, the plot felt a little too simple or shortly developed for me. With the whole castle being abandoned and not a concrete ending being achieved for the village Pazu is from, I felt like something was missing at the end. Either way, I good time watching it, but I'm not confident in watching it again any time soon.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Mar 18, 2021 5:37 AM

Jul 2019
Ah, shit here we go again.
Jun 14, 2021 9:36 PM

May 2019
This movie will never be too old. This is what true classics are made.
Jul 31, 2021 1:42 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Just my second Ghibli film and once again the feeling that perhaps the works of the Studio aren't for me popped up.

Don't get me wrong though, I totally found the movie to be fine with some pretty good visuals for its time, decent character interactions and the general idea of the plot. It's just the execution part that let me down, a tad bit too slow paced for one.

Also, a little romance in the end would have been nice but well, the two are still young so I suppose ending on such a note isn't a bad idea too. Maybe a timeskip after the credits or something of the sort could've done the trick.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 20, 2021 8:17 AM

May 2020
This is probably the best Ghibli movie I've watched yet. Granted, I've missed a few of their greatest hits but still, I have a feeling this will be the one that I remember the most fondly.

It's not the most original or even that well executed but something about watching this made me feel like a kid, just enjoying whatever's happening onscreen. I was never bored while watching this, which is more than I can say for quite a few other Ghibli movies.
Dec 24, 2021 5:49 AM

Dec 2021
So yeah this movie tell me once again that if Miyazaki would've directed and produced Nadia - The secret of blue water it would've been incomparably better to what it ended up being
Dec 31, 2021 5:48 AM

Aug 2021
really enjoyable movie loved each and most of the things <3
and the 1st anime ever which I watched with my dad ^~^
Mar 13, 2022 11:36 PM

Feb 2021
bland asf this movie was. I laughed at how much of a train wreck the beginning was but it just got boring after that. a lot felt pretty directionless and lacked whatever imagination other Ghibli movies have (Howl's Moving Castle included) that make the lack of realism in them at least somewhat entertaining, this just felt like a kid's version of sword art online to me. Decent music tho only thing I liked
Jul 22, 2022 9:12 AM
Nov 2020
Ghibli never fails to make me smile
Aug 27, 2022 8:39 PM

Aug 2022
Being reminded in chat about Future Boy Conan, which is an anime pillar of my childhood, I decided to finally watch Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa, which was among the few Studio Ghibli movies that I hadn't watch yet, as I knew that the less famous Future Boy Conan was basically the unofficial prototype of this movie.

And I'm happy I did: quality as expected from the Ghibli Studio, a great movie! Many similarities with the aforementioned anime, so kinda like a fanservice to old fans like myself. That said, the dialogues, actions and everything in the movie should make it worth watching for people of any age group. The main villain's dialogues and actions are pretty standard: you know what the villain's after and what he's going to say.

The movie shows well how much power can be gained from knowledge, and how power can corrupt. And also, how fear of the unknown can lead people to seek and destroy what they cannot comprehend.

And even if one doesn't read too deeply into it, the beautiful scenery and masterful direction will make for a very enjoyable movie, with lots of humour and a beautiful ending song. My vote: 8/10
Sep 28, 2022 9:40 AM

Jan 2020
As always, with Ghibli, it was visually impressive.

Also, I've never been a huge fan of Ghibli, but this was one of the more interesting Ghibli plots in my opinion. I found myself enjoying the movie pretty much the whole way through. No scene in particular seemed out of place, and the pacing was well done. I didn't have any problems staying focused on what was happening.

That being said, I feel like Sheeta might've been the weakest character. Pretty much every other character managed to "steal the scene" whenever they were on screen. So, I wish she had been a little more involved, or just written with some more depth. She's so much of a wallflower it could more or less be the exact same movie without her, especially with the Muska reveal. But, this is one of the few times, in recent history, that I appreciated, nearly, the full cast.

Overall, I liked it.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Nov 13, 2022 7:45 AM
Nov 2009
I never really appreciated Ghilbi movies until now. This was a beautifully animated movie imo. I love the world building and atmosphere.
Also maybe just a coincidence but I felt like I saw a lot of references here that Oda(author of one piece) might have taken inspirations from.
Dec 20, 2022 3:03 PM
Oct 2019
Probably the best movie miyasaki ever made.
laputa is such an incredible film because so many aspects are near perfect. animation, pacing, characters, character development, just to name a few.
What is also amazing about this film is the music, i feel happy with the orchestral music in many ghibli films, but few trigger so many emotions in me. laputa is the prime example of this right here.
Jan 10, 2023 9:31 AM
Dec 2022
I have loved this movie ever since I was a child. It will forever be in my top 5 Ghibli Movies.
Feb 18, 2023 6:51 AM

Apr 2020
Watched it because of the word puta like many people.
Not my favorite Ghibli movie but it was worth it.
8/10
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Jun 11, 2023 6:54 AM
Jan 2019
i kove it only 37 years late
Nov 26, 2023 10:01 AM

Aug 2022
This is Studio Ghiblis first films and it's so great. The animation is fantastic and sets the stage for all films that come after it. The plot was great and I loved every second of it.
Dec 30, 2023 4:41 AM
Dec 2023
It has a train! oh and cool story I guess...
Jan 13, 2:48 PM
May 2021
Amazing film 8/10!!
Jan 27, 2:52 AM
Apr 2023
Masterpiece although cliffhangar ending.
Feb 8, 7:36 AM
Mar 2016
Dora really looked alike Sheeta in her youth, lmao
Mar 12, 10:20 PM

Dec 2022
so this is what it's like to watch a Ghibli movie. relentlessly and incredibly amazing. boy watching this was like witnessing history. can you even imagine how it feels to be me this being my first one and knowing there's a bunch more of these things to watch? man i feel like a little kid getting ready to dream.
Mar 30, 9:05 PM

May 2014
Another masterpiece by Studio Ghibli and Miyazaki-san. A very simple, but beautiful plot. Very fine plot development and a lovely end. One thing I would want an answer to is the text written at the graveyard. That's the only negative. The rest was perfect.
Mar 30, 9:10 PM

May 2014
Reply to Patty_chan
hehhe...I never watched the english dubbed version...generally I hate dub stuff...someday I´ll watch it in english...but I´ll die being the hardcore fan of the original version^_^x
@Patty_chan Same pal, same. It's similar to reading a poem in English rather than reading it in the original language when you know and speak it. It's really more authentic in the original language.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» What's the Philosophical Significance of Certain Motifs in Castle in the Sky?

Hethalos - Jun 9, 2013

9 by EtherLux »»
Apr 25, 11:27 AM

» Dub Discussion

JTurner - Feb 21, 2008

17 by IamCheri »»
Sep 24, 2023 6:05 AM

» Anna Paquin as Sheeta

Duckielover151 - Jan 13, 2019

5 by JTurner »»
Feb 5, 2019 11:48 PM

» Is this movie a ripoff??

tobanga - Dec 23, 2015

2 by Ichilicious »»
Dec 7, 2016 10:41 AM

» Rest in Peace, Uncle Pom (Richard Dysart)

JTurner - Apr 20, 2015

0 by JTurner »»
Apr 20, 2015 7:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.