Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 11, 2015 12:52 PM

Jul 2013
Hikikomori, NEET, shut-in, agoraphobic, hermit, recluse?

Which do you consider yourself?

Do you think that it's appropriate for foreigners consider themselves hikikomori?
What do you think are the qualifications for each of the different terms?

I'm not sure what to consider myself other than a NEET. I still go out a few times a month, so I don't think that shut-in would be an appropriate term for me. But I live the stereotypical life of an otaku hikikomori, so I feel related to that term, too. Does a shut-in or hikikomori have to NEVER leave the house in order to be considered one? Or is it more along the lines of a person being a NEET, as well as not getting out and being social?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 12, 2015 2:10 AM

Apr 2012
I'm agoraphobic, part hikki, part neet depends on how you look at it.

If you see nhk ni youkoso and some other documentaries, confessions and the like, some hikikomori doesn't just stay in their rooms. Some go out once a week to keep in touch with 'outside'/because they're bored/they need to get food. Some go out once per 2 weeks. Some, once per month. So they dont all just stay inside 24/7 though most probably do. I used to, but now i go out once a week or 2 weeks to grocery shopping with my parent, cos in the back of my mind, i want things to improve, though going out once a week isnt gonna help me do much. But even though i said that, im still not ready to take on jobs or leave thw house by myself, so automatically my brain decides that 'outside' equals 'danger' which equals 'protect body by staying inside room'. This cycle repeats endlessly. It's hell when you're relying on welfare support from govt (a disgusting one at that too)

I said im part neet becaue not only am i only studying mininum part time, i dont even know if the skill i'm getting out of it is helpful or not. I'm studying language..just language. By itself, it's useless. But to begin with, i only studied that because 1, i like it. 2, so it looks like i'm doing something and not be a complete neet because i cnt bear see my parents' face sad cos i'm completely incompetent. Though the irony is, their faces are still negative even though i'm already doing sonething (though not much).
''俺はいつになったら自由になれるんだろう…''
Feb 12, 2015 2:46 AM

Mar 2008
Hikikomori is a term coined by Tamaki Saitou who is a Japanese psychologist but it was not accepted into the DSM at least not currently so it serves as more of a character archetype or japanese slang term with no proper definition. NEET is actually a term used by the governnment (I think) in the UK, Japan, South Korea, and Taiwan so it is subjective if someone outside those areas can fit that terminology as it is just a short term and sometimes often derogatory. I find hermit to not fit as that often describes people more of mountain and forest dwellers. I find reclusive to be negative sounding. I usually use shut-in.

"More recently, researchers have suggested six specific criteria required to "diagnose" hikikomori:
1) spending most of the day and nearly every day confined to home,
2) marked and persistent avoidance of social situations,
3) symptoms interfering significantly with the person’s normal routine, occupational (or academic) functioning, or social activities or relationships,
4) perceiving the withdrawal as ego-syntonic,
5) duration at least six months,
6) no other mental disorder that accounts for the social withdrawal and avoidance."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hikikomori

"A form of severe social withdrawal, called hikikomori, has been frequently described in Japan and is characterized by adolescents and young adults who become recluses in their parents' homes, unable to work or go to school for months or years. The aim of this study was to review the evidence for hikikomori as a new psychiatric disorder. Electronic and manual literature searches were used to gather information on social withdrawal and hikikomori, including studies examining case definitions, epidemiology, and diagnosis. A number of recent empirical studies have emerged from Japan. The majority of such cases of hikikomori are classifiable as a variety of existing Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM) psychiatric disorders. However, a notable subset of cases with substantial psychopathology does not meet criteria for any existing psychiatric disorder. We suggest hikikomori may be considered a culture-bound syndrome and merits further international research into whether it meets accepted criteria as a new psychiatric disorder. Research diagnostic criteria for the condition are proposed."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20531124
traedFeb 12, 2015 2:51 AM
Aug 2, 2016 12:33 AM

Jul 2013
Bumping this, cause I'm still curious. Lol.
Nov 9, 2016 3:35 PM

Nov 2016
well having no job also means to not have a place where to go daily and meet people, despite everything i'm going out once a day to buy groceries and stuff, other than that i stay at home most of my time. i think a little reclusive would point it out.
Nov 11, 2016 7:56 PM
Oct 2016
I'm a NEET. I'm currently looking for work but I can't work jobs with a lot of social interaction and I'm not physically fit either so most manual labor jobs are out of the question. I finished college last month and I took too damn long to finish (I really hated college).
Nov 17, 2016 8:20 AM

Jul 2016
Well hikikomori is the same as NEET. It's just that they call it hikikomori in Japan and NEET on the western society just like they call it anime and we call it cartoons.

Right now I'm a student that sees no value in school and college but I'm obliged to attend to anyway. If I had no one bugging me to go to school and find a job and sort out my life I would definetly be a NEET.

I'm already a NEET in my head and heart anyway. Or at least I think like one.

Hikigaya Hachiman said:
If the past makes you wanna die out of regret and future makes you depressed out of anxiety then by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.
Nov 17, 2016 9:52 AM

Nov 2008
I think I fit the NEET bit. I don't leave my flat by myself but I go to buy food with a helperperson once a week and it's areally quick progress.
Nov 17, 2016 3:18 PM
Sep 2015
Not sure if I'm a neet or a shut in. I barely leave my apartment and might spend months alone. I only leave to get food, thank god there's a shopping mall right next to where I live. I also have difficulty going there alone, and I just wait for a helperperson to go with me. I do see my friends sometimes but it's always in my apartment.
Dec 27, 2018 1:28 PM

Jul 2013
Bumping cause I am once again curious.

Also going with agoraphobic NEET for myself.
Jan 17, 2019 7:20 PM

Mar 2018
I'm a NEET. I dropped out of high school a year ago and haven't done much since then. I played video games and watched anime for most of that time. I don't really have any irl friends but I like to hang out with my sister who understands somewhat what I'm going through. I hate school and being outside for too long around other people but I'm not sure how long I can avoid it all. I feel lucky though that my family haven't completely given up on me yet and that gives me some hope that it won't be so bad.
Jan 20, 2019 3:10 AM

Mar 2008
@nonfumi
At least your sister gives a damn. I am pretty out of any loop with my family. None of them know and understand me.
Jan 20, 2019 7:53 AM

Mar 2018
traed said:
@nonfumi
At least your sister gives a damn. I am pretty out of any loop with my family. None of them know and understand me.

Most of my family doesn't understand me as well. They are quick to make wild assumptions about me and trying to talk to them is useless. I'm lucky to have a sister who is isn't completely out of touch.
Jan 21, 2019 12:58 PM

Jul 2014
Since joining this club, my situation has changed a few times.
When joining I was a full-on shut-in, bordering on hiki. Played video games all day, when not playing video games I was watching anime or sleeping. It was weirdly comfy, though I'm glad I'm able to pull myself together more now.

At the time of writing this, I consider myself more of a recluse. Though I am in education, I couldn't be bothered with socializing with the people there, or elsewhere for that matter. At most I play video games with them online.
Part of my family dislike me for it, those who live with me that is.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Feb 13, 2019 8:42 AM
May 2016
i refer to myself as a hikikomori usually. i don't care too much about the terms since they're all thrown around so loosely, but i've been diagnosed with agoraphobia, so i guess if we're going by what's the most proper, agoraphobic neet may be the most fitting for me? although, personally i use hikikomori the most often when talking about myself since i think it fits the best with my lifestyle of frequently watching anime, reading visual novels, general otaku culture stuff, playing video games and various stuff like that. and i use shut-in on occasion too, it's not too often that i use agoraphobic when referring to myself. i never go outside either, due to my living situation i have food, necessities and whatnot provided to me
Feb 15, 2019 4:34 PM

Mar 2008
@Shiroanon
Do you literally never go outside? Or do you just mean you don't go places?
Feb 15, 2019 4:42 PM
May 2016
traed said:
@Shiroanon

i never go outside if i can prevent it. been about 4-5 months since i last went outside, and when i did go outside that time was because i was moving, so i didn't really have a choice. and i wasn't going out frequently before then or anything
Feb 15, 2019 4:45 PM

Mar 2008
Shiroanon said:
traed said:
@Shiroanon

i never go outside if i can prevent it. been about 4-5 months since i last went outside, and when i did go outside that time was because i was moving, so i didn't really have a choice. and i wasn't going out frequently before then or anything

So you won't even go on your lawn? That must be tough. I go outside when I feel the urge too just don't leave my property though that's because I live in the woods so no immediate neighbours in eye sight.
Feb 15, 2019 5:05 PM
May 2016
traed said:
Shiroanon said:

So you won't even go on your lawn? That must be tough. I go outside when I feel the urge too just don't leave my property though that's because I live in the woods so no immediate neighbours in eye sight.

well, i've went out on my balcony twice in the past few months, but only when it was snowing and in the middle of the night, i just like seeing the snow. better than nothing i guess, right? it is pretty tough, yea... i live in an apartment complex and im too afraid to run into someone
Feb 16, 2019 12:21 PM

Jul 2013
Shiroanon said:
traed said:

well, i've went out on my balcony twice in the past few months, but only when it was snowing and in the middle of the night, i just like seeing the snow. better than nothing i guess, right? it is pretty tough, yea... i live in an apartment complex and im too afraid to run into someone

Oof. Sounds like a really severe case of agoraphobia.

I was pretty close to living that life a few years ago. Therapy was the only thing that got me out of the house. Now I'm still agoraphobic, but I've expanded my "safe zones" to a lot of places. And continue doing exposure therapy to expand them more. Er, actually, calling them safe zones isn't correct. They are just places I can tolerate without anxiety going into overdrive right away. And even then it's a constant battle. Mainly due to OCD + germaphobia. I'm never not thinking about the air I'm breathing, or what I'm touching, how my clothes get contaminated from touching anything outside of my home, and then how I get contaminated by touching them. My bedroom is the only real safe zone I have where I don't worry about these things. The rest of the world is me forcing myself, and there are still a lot of places that just thinking about going to will make me panic. But I have made a lot of progress. So when it comes to agoraphobia, my case would probably be considered mild now. (I wonder though, since I still can't work in part due to it, would that mean it really is just mild? Or more severe, even if I'm not house bound? Hmm...) And I no longer consider myself a shut-in.
Apr 5, 2019 7:43 PM

Apr 2019
nonfumi said:
traed said:
@nonfumi

Most of my family doesn't understand me as well. They are quick to make wild assumptions about me and trying to talk to them is useless. I'm lucky to have a sister who is isn't completely out of touch.

I'm currently in almost the same situation. My family agreed with me to change a little bit simultaneously toward each other to be able to talk "normally", but over time it seemed they were only expecting my one-side completed "transformation" to one of them, and also even hope that I can somehow be a "normal" person. My sister, in a sense, feel that I am different, but nonetheless persuade me to change as well.
Oct 3, 2019 8:32 PM
Oct 2019
Can we consider ourself all the options at the same time? kkk because, seriously, it is my choice.
Like people said above, hikki go out some times during week, and yes, it is okay to use a term of other country. How much english terms are used in all countries? kkk mind it
And about going out, I do it 1 time per week (going to the psychologist). There are weeks I go out 2 times (when I need to see the psychiatrist too).
Oct 24, 2019 8:42 PM
Apr 2018
probably a recluse, once i arrive home from school that's where i stay
Jan 12, 2020 11:48 PM
Jan 2020
I have no idea.... -_-
Apr 25, 2022 11:53 AM

Jul 2014
I know I haven't been active here that much, but honestly it made me really happy that I found a group of people like me.
When I originally joined I was a hiki NEET as I wrote in my previous post, at that point I was a recluse, but I'm happy to say that with the help needed and the right people around me I have gotten a job after dropping out of uni and being an on-and-off NEET for a few years. Even got a girlfriend believe it or not.
I'm still not a social person, a slight bit of a recluse since I still don't like going out in general, but life is looking up now that I'm not a true Hiki NEET.
We're all gonna make it fellas, I believe in us.
"Most anime makers are basically autistic" - Hideaki Anno
Apr 29, 2022 3:40 PM

Jul 2013
KousakaK said:
I know I haven't been active here that much, but honestly it made me really happy that I found a group of people like me.
When I originally joined I was a hiki NEET as I wrote in my previous post, at that point I was a recluse, but I'm happy to say that with the help needed and the right people around me I have gotten a job after dropping out of uni and being an on-and-off NEET for a few years. Even got a girlfriend believe it or not.
I'm still not a social person, a slight bit of a recluse since I still don't like going out in general, but life is looking up now that I'm not a true Hiki NEET.
We're all gonna make it fellas, I believe in us.

That's awesome! Congrats!!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» How many of you like the outdoors or nature?

traed - Aug 7, 2023

11 by Laniakea- »»
Dec 1, 2023 7:49 AM

» What do you practice and learn?

Butterfly_White - Mar 13, 2023

6 by Otakulover99 »»
Nov 6, 2023 2:35 AM

» how do u guys make money?

hik1komori - Apr 21, 2022

17 by MumeiHikki »»
Sep 24, 2023 10:39 PM

» How much do you care about your personal hygiene?

removed-user - May 13, 2015

19 by traed »»
Jun 29, 2023 1:11 AM

» Have you chosen your nick?

Heko - Mar 20, 2015

27 by water_my_melons »»
Jun 20, 2023 8:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.