Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 12 13 [14]
Mar 5, 2022 1:20 PM

Jan 2021
My guy used body pillow as a shield in the game

Other then that, great ep, almost made me tear up
Mar 5, 2022 1:23 PM

Jan 2021
Snetiger said:
I feel like both of them should have been sent to void!
I was thinking the same thing...
Aug 2, 2022 5:12 PM

May 2020
Can't say I'm enjoying watching random people competitively play games against each other. Seems like most of the interesting stuff is happening behind the scenes.
Aug 8, 2022 1:00 PM
Mar 2022
Great episode and great story the women's in particular
Aug 10, 2022 12:57 AM
Aug 2022
I felt bad for the dude who committed suicide. Depression is a bitch
Dec 20, 2022 12:15 PM

Oct 2021
I feel bad for Misaki because all of her life she never had the support that need and want. She was always alone and she hated that. My thoughts in Decim deliberately interfering with the game was kind of questionable. I do get it if you want it to get they’re thoughts moving quickly and be able to see what type of person. But i get why Misaki hurt Yousuke because she doesn’t want to die. She doesn’t want to leave her kids.
Dec 25, 2022 2:21 PM
Jan 2022
Good episode but is the whole point of the show sending people for judgement?
Dec 28, 2022 3:26 AM
Sep 2019
Amazing OP & decent watch
Jan 3, 2023 6:54 AM

Jan 2021
I love how the show is made to put up on viewers to have their opinion where should every player go, makes you doubt the Decim's decisions in every episode. Really adds on to the experience, amazing show so far

Jan 12, 2023 1:43 AM

Feb 2017
Really interesting episode.

It's was chilling to see Decim comfort them like a father then still euthanize the lady.

She clearly had mental health problems. They BOTH needed psychiatric help.

Mar 4, 2023 6:11 AM

Feb 2020
Last episode was wholesome, but this one was so hard to watch... A very well-written episode for sure, but it broke my heart. It's so horrible to see these two people with such hard lives who took bad decisions and hurt people around them due to the pain they were themselves feeling, without even meaning to hurt but just being broken to the core. It's so... real.
I think this show is a lot more complicated than just a matter of "good vs bad". Decim's method isn't necessarily established as being the right one, due to how manichean it is while this show, and even more this specific episode, demonstrates how complicated people are and how things aren't black and white.
We can see Decim felt bad for both of them, not just the boy. Even if the woman did very bad things, worst things than the boy, she is the product of all the horrible things that happened to her and is shown not to be a genuily horrible person at heart.
Decim's words here are very important : "You both did your best."
I think this episode will play a very important role in the evolution of Decim's view.

Also, the woman's voice actress deserves a round of applause. She was incredible.
Apr 1, 2023 6:59 PM

Jun 2010
One small thing I don't see a comment on is Yousuke's video game profile saying he is in "home security"; this is an old joke about being a NEET; he's at home all day every day so he's "guarding" it.

The episode doesn't emphasis it but I think that Misaki went on TV to show her weird family to strangers would be considered humiliating them for the entertainment of others; "hot three-time divorcee" sounds like a freakshow. In the photograph that's shown her younger children are probably too young to understand this and look excited (although her second daughter's expression is maybe ambigious), but her two older children look very uncomfortable. But the idea that she was exploiting them to make herself famous is a red herring. It's a credit to the script; most anime doesn't reach this level of cleverness.

BRSxIgnition said:
I feel like both of them made bad decisions, but only Yosuke was wasting the gift of life, whereas Misaki, while doing so in the wrong way, was trying to make the most of her life.

This was my response as well; that the difference between the two deceased was how hard they had tried at life. Yousuke had one bad thing happen to him in his life (it being very bad, granted) followed by the best possible chance at moving past that and he just stagnated until deciding to kill himself on a whim. He wasted his chance.

If I'm trying to understand why Misaki was sent to the void, it might be that while she always perservered, she never seems to have learned anything from her mistakes. This is why she has five children from men who never loved her instead of one or two. Moreover, her efforts to move forward hurt others as shown in the scene where she ignores the tears of her youngest child to read what I might have been material for the TV show she was on. She's trying to be a success on TV to earn money to support her children, but while she's doing that she's neglecting them ("I won't be making it home again tonight"). See also that she's eating packaged sandwiches and milk which contrasts with Yousuke's step-mother who cooked for her step-son; Misaki is not providing for her children's needs in the same way (not that they're literally starving; she's just not showing the same care and attention to them).

I might describe Misaki's story as one about the limits of love and hope, and even motherhood; she clearly loved her children or she wouldn't be reduced to screaming tears at the idea of never seeing them again (and note that a close-up of her smiling face from the freakshow photo appears in this part) but she was always looking for her life to "start". She was always trying to reach a better tomorrow and sacrificing today to get there, but "tomorrow never comes". This explains her attack on Yousuke; she attacked him to, she thought, preserve her own life but then regretted it right away and begged Decim to help him. She was always doing the wrong thing to try to reach a good outcome.
Jun 6, 2023 1:01 AM

Jul 2021
misaki didn't deserve the void. she was a victim. she was a shitty person but she was made like that due to her circumstances and environment. i don't think she wanted 5 kids, she was a spoiled girl who got involved with the wrong guy and her life fell apart. i truly believe she should have been reincarnated. the otaku didn't do anything that should land him in the void so reincarnation it is.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Aug 23, 2023 2:07 PM
Aug 2022
i was debating whether to give this 4 or 5 stars due to the fact that the TV star got sent to the void. her situation is definitely complicated but idkk it felt wrong because she's clearly a victim as well.

nonetheless i gave this 5 stars because this tugged on my heart strings and almost made me cry. seeing how the otaku guy regretted committing suicide and for treating his step mom like she wasn't existent, and the tv star who seemed to be recovering from the abuse just hit hard. really good episode besides my mixed feelings about her being sent to the void.
Sep 19, 2023 8:07 AM

Sep 2017
Weird episode. Meh. Kinda okwhat is this watered-down hell girl?
خ
Jan 2, 6:12 AM
Oct 2023
ep 4 is crazy good with interesting candidates and intersting deaths, such an emotional thriller
Feb 5, 1:45 PM

May 2021
Well this was emotionally charged to the max. Another hard call for Decim, kinda glad to see him be more understanding of the human experience as the show progresses (shout out Onna). Came close to shedding a tear this episode. Both game contenders were in a sorry state and it was honestly a tough watch. Starting to understand why Decim is placed in this position as an arbiter. No way you could consistently do this job without being a stone cold heartless bastard LOL. Makes me wonder what kind of headspace Nona is in as well.
Feb 20, 6:40 PM

Jul 2021
A very good episode, though they both made bad decisions in life.

Mar 12, 8:08 PM

Dec 2022
dang when his step mom came out with the home-cooked attack, that got me. damn that was a sad ep
Apr 2, 12:17 PM
Feb 2024
Heart breaking episod, I really loved the human side that Decim showed, I don't know if she deserved the void tho
Apr 2, 12:26 PM
Feb 2024
Heart breaking episod, I really loved the human side that Decim showed, I don't know if she deserved the void tho
Apr 2, 12:26 PM
Feb 2024
Apr 2, 10:50 PM
Aug 2022
at this point im at 50% this show is gonna make me cry ugly, they just need to pull it in with these next few episodes
Pages (14) « First ... « 12 13 [14]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

597 by Seraschi »»
May 1, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2015

215 by Seraschi »»
Apr 26, 2:01 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2015

450 by Seraschi »»
Apr 26, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

840 by sxrpente »»
Apr 23, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.