Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 30, 2015 1:59 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
WAD1992 said:
Farabeuf said:
I'm wondering if this show will surprise us further down the line with the decisions that Decim is making being called into question and having some sort of consequence. Being a judge is no easy thing to begin with, and I thought that the way he manipulated the game was rather cruel.

Personally ( and I love that different people have different takes on it. Shows that the series is no lightweight) I think Decim made the wrong decision. The woman, for all her faults, violent temper and manipulative tendencies was murdered. The man gave up on life. For that alone I would have given her another chance instead of him.

one thing is absolute and 1000% accurate about this show is that
IT SUCKS TO BE IN THOSE GIANT ASS SHOES!!

Indeed! I once read some major author (I think it was Huidobro) who said that being a judge was the one thing he could never be. Passing judgment on others is heavy stuff.

I wonder if Decim was allowed to choose this position? I'm guessing not for some reason. I wonder if we'll find out.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 30, 2015 2:00 PM

Feb 2014
This episode was powerful in the drama department alright.

Decim hugging both Yousuke and Misaki at the end was really touching. It made tear a bit too. T_T

Looking foward to seeing the other characters in the OP next week.
Jan 30, 2015 2:10 PM

Mar 2014
That moment when Decim hugged Misaki and Yosuke though
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Jan 30, 2015 2:15 PM

Apr 2014
Cool episode. This series often has human morals play a role, but it's really interesting to see them bring the arbiters' actions into question as well. Even though Decim is emotionless, I admire the series for adding depth to his character- especially since he plays such a major role in humans' destinies.

Also, not sure if anyone has mentioned this but I realized that the reason why Onna doesn't have a name could be because of her role as that "assistant". She can't be given a new identity or name as an assistant because she has to stay intact with morals/emotions that humans have. At the same time, she can't retain her previous name because she is no longer a human. And so basically by staying unnamed, Onna is a link connecting humans and arbiters. However, this does goes to say that I'm assuming Onna was previously alive.
Jan 30, 2015 2:19 PM

Dec 2014
This show really makes it hard for me to care for any of these people. I can see if it was a 24+ episode series with two episodes dedicated to a group(a part 1 and 2 sorta thing) ,but one episode is just not enough. :
Jan 30, 2015 2:21 PM
Jun 2014
i loved this episode.
the woman's situation was tragic and the way she treated people was bad (in life) but if it was just for that then i would have said to go to reincarnation. But she just had to go and SMASH Mr.nerd's face in the arcade game screen. like wow she really went for it. By this point i knew that she was not going to reincarnation.
Mr.nerd's situation is not as bad but you can see why he was more shut in and not trusting of the mother character and i thought that him acsepting his new mother as his mum was a good touch at the end.
5/5
Jan 30, 2015 2:21 PM
Dec 2012
i wish there was more specifics on who went to heaven or hell
Jan 30, 2015 2:27 PM

Oct 2012
Suffering.
Jan 30, 2015 2:31 PM

May 2014
theaznkid360 said:
i wish there was more specifics on who went to heaven or hell

mmmmm ... on top of the elevators ....... THE FACES , one was a demon the other was not ............. i think that was the significance ............ not really sure :|
Jan 30, 2015 2:36 PM

May 2013
I cried a little bit this episode... there I said it, I don't care.

For some reason the moment Yousuke was sitting in front of the "Game Over" screen before committing suicide hit me pretty hard. Especially when he realized what he had done and that he missed the oppurtunity to atleast grant the simple wish of the one person that actually cared about him.

But I felt for both of them when the mother just wanted to get back to her kids in the end. I don't know if those were her true feeling or just "My happy life was finally starting, I want to have it back!"... but then again, I can even understand that. How is it selfish to just want to be happy for once after a life of abuse? It isn't good what he did to the manager or Yousuke in the game but she was probably mentally scarred to begin with. And you know what's even worse than just hitting someone for no good reason? Killing someone in return for it.
"The fool who believed in miracles now walks among the dead." ~ Blade of the Phantom Master
Jan 30, 2015 2:51 PM
May 2014
For the woman i think it was the right verdict because of they way she ended things off before going to the elevator. I noticed alot of people are saying that she regretted her choices with the way she treated her children which to a point i agree but then she to me implys that her life was getting better for her but not including her children other she wouldnt say "THOSE" children but "My" children in stead/ So i think she only cared for them mostly as a way to make her rich and famous in a reality tv show. that would further explain some of her children s hatred towards her.

Jan 30, 2015 2:54 PM

Jun 2013
My eyes got a bit watery after that episode. 5/5 all the way that was probably one of the best episodes so far for me.
Really felt for both of a the characters in the end I wish that the had the chance to go back to the real world and make everything right.
Jan 30, 2015 3:02 PM

Dec 2014
Very painful episode to watch. Their pasts. The slamming on the machine. The hug at the end.

It was very difficult for me to have an expectation of who goes where. They could have both been sent to void (She being cruel to others until the very end, he because he gave up on life so why give him another chance that he might just waste again), both to 'heaven' (Their pasts made them the way they are, she seemed to really love her children, he filled with regrets), or both a different path.

I can see why she was sent to void and he wasn't, but it leaves a bitter aftertaste..

Next episode has a child. I'll get my tissue box ready (too close to RL but I don't want to drop an anime this good)..

*Of course all of this is just made up of my opinion, not facts.
Jan 30, 2015 3:25 PM
Jun 2013
Great episode, The Judgement was Sound and here's why.

I think you get judged during how you perform during the game as well, clearly the woman failed the test many many times and haven't repented. 1) Manipulative nature hasn't changed, 2) You guys forgot how she bashed the kid's head against the arcade? that's just exhibiting savagery to the next level, 3) she was delusional in the real world already after having one set of children, still continue to make that mistake if she learned irl she won't have been here in the first place.

Lastly the guy didn't really 'affected' anyone except the fact that he caused pain for his stepmother. He realize how important life was he goes "why did I suicide" Not for a moment did the woman go "why did I not learn from my previous relationship failure/negligence?" that was the key to the judgement I think.

Glad that psycho biatch went to the void and that kid got to reincarnate.
Jan 30, 2015 3:34 PM

Jul 2013
GoMarcia said:
Why has the woman been sent to hell? I don't get it

Same here. She got through lots of shit in her life and raised five children. Was it because she hit Yousuke? Can someone answer this please?

“In all things, the heart must take precedence. The heart rules over all things, and all things come from the heart.”

Jan 30, 2015 3:35 PM

Dec 2014
Decim in this episode was just...and that hug at the end. ;-;
Amazing episode. It really hit me watching that man's life. For a moment I though it was me who was eating noodles in front of the screen.
I kind of felt sad for that woman. Having difficult relationships like that...
Poor them
Jan 30, 2015 3:41 PM

Jan 2015
Wow.it was an emotional episode. They both made bad choices with their lives because of the bad things that happened to them...and both ended with guilt and regret.
Jan 30, 2015 3:43 PM

Jul 2014
From a tranquil episode with no real bad person to one that's clear as day, not bad. I like that someone thought it might be a tv prank.. It's impressive how much they flesh out these individual characters in a 20 min span. kudos
Jan 30, 2015 3:46 PM

Jan 2014
That was so sad omg :( saddest one so far imo, I almost cried

I really felt for the otaku, he regretted committing suicide so much :( I wonder how many other people would feel the same way if they woke up after committing suicide... :( and I also felt bad for the mom, even if she was kind of a bitch. And decim tricked me, I thought they were both going to heaven :( echoing what someone said here, but maybe it's because she only wanted to go back to her children, and didn't feel bad about mistreating her employees, unlike the otaku, who felt bad about ignoring his mom

Also, is decim perhaps reconsidering using that little device? I wonder if he's new at his job, he keeps getting all these revelations about human nature and stuff, you think he would've realized by now

And next episode is a young boy? Sad D:
Jan 30, 2015 3:51 PM

Jul 2013
eliterodriguez said:
WAD1992 said:
how i see it:
the kid got reincarnated because he regretted not giving his mom her simple wish even AFTER discovering he died by suicide (selflessness).
the woman regretted not being able to live her newly found happy life (selfishness) instead of regretting treating her assistant like a mule, she might think it's justified because of her hard life but i doubt that Decim felt the same way, inflicting pain on others just to make yourself feel superior/better is a bad quality and hence he send her to hell.

Thank you! You expressed what almost all of us were thinking but couldn't put into words.

That's interesting and it seems reasonable. It's true she didn't think of regretting her actions towards others. (her assistant mostly, as it was shown) And now as I rewatched a few scenes again, I found this passing by in the woman's memories

It seems like she also kind of neglected her children.

“In all things, the heart must take precedence. The heart rules over all things, and all things come from the heart.”

Jan 30, 2015 4:02 PM

Aug 2014
Very nice episode. I like the different approach each time, this episode the participants tried to play it off as a TV show. So Decim really has to force them to reveal their true colors if there's no such thing happening.

The mother may have had the right wish - to see her children, but it ultimately wasn't the right one. I too agree that she had to repent for what she did to her assistant, though the latter really did do the extreme just like that. It's really too bad that she had a long history of abuse, maybe precisely because of that she was doomed to be sent to the Void in the first place.

I don't fully get why Yosuke committed suicide, though. I get why he was sent for reincarnation, but not why he chose to end his life. Is it because he no longer had his real mom? Well, it's either that or he saw Tokyo Ghoul episode 4.

Decim can be very terrifying, and also very caring. I liked seeing both his sides, and it seems like we'll get a new arbiter next time.

5/5
~||Sky of the Night Light||~
Jan 30, 2015 4:04 PM

Aug 2014
After watching this episode, I want to ask. What is the exact Condition to become a pair at Quindecim? To die at the same minute, or to die exactly at the same time. Because its kinda very rare for two people without connection to die right at the exact Milliseconds...
I love Minimalist Arts. Such Simplicity, yet hold so much Meanings to me.
Jan 30, 2015 4:08 PM

Aug 2014
Maledict said:
I don't fully get why Yosuke committed suicide, though. I get why he was sent for reincarnation, but not why he chose to end his life. Is it because he no longer had his real mom? Well, it's either that or he saw Tokyo Ghoul episode 4.

I don't get what are you trying to say there.. Why would someone commit suicide after watching Tokyo Ghoul episode 4?

But you know, I sometimes also feel despair and the thought of suicide crossed my mind when I get Really Really bored and also when I know tommorow I'm gonna go to school after a weekend..
SarczeJan 30, 2015 4:13 PM
I love Minimalist Arts. Such Simplicity, yet hold so much Meanings to me.
Jan 30, 2015 4:10 PM

Dec 2014
It's starting to become episodic which is the one thing I didn't want this show to become. If it keeps going at this rate it'll be a 5 or a 6 by the time the show's over. Looks like next episode we're going to get to see some more of the main characters so that's nice. I have faith in Madhouse that it won't turn to shit.
bdsbffJan 30, 2015 4:50 PM
Jan 30, 2015 4:21 PM

Jul 2014
I'd like to see more than just people playing games and getting judged.
Jan 30, 2015 4:28 PM
Jul 2012
Whaa?? I was for sure they were both going to get sent to hell. Would've been some sort of plot twist. Since he committed suicide and all... And for her. It was ovious she would get sent to hell. This anime is amazing. Really unique.
Jan 30, 2015 4:33 PM

Nov 2014
Death Parade pls stop hurting my feeling
Jan 30, 2015 4:36 PM

May 2012
Dat head smashing.

Another great episode of depicting that humans are truly monsters. One I got to give it up to Decim this episode. I think he has got better at judging since the woman came along. The way I see it was the woman deserve to go to hell and here's why. During the game when her kids came she was happy they helped out, but when she saw how weak they were she got angry at them. Now I'm now mother, but I think she should have at least been happy they even helped. Then while she was alive yes she was abused, but then she turned around and abused others. Then lastly I think she only cared about herself more then her kids. If she did I would think she would have said my children instead of those. And let's not talk about that head smashing. Just my take on it.

Anyway great episode. 5/5.
Jan 30, 2015 4:39 PM

Jun 2013
That was so heartbreaking..
Jan 30, 2015 4:44 PM

Dec 2014
Yes, the system is flawed, I get it, you can see why this system doesn't work even from the first episode if you spend a minute thinking about it. Why do you feel the need to make up something that doesn't or have anything relate to our world and tell people it's suck. It's like arguing about why eating dragon meat is bad, it's pointless. You can say it's something about the concept of reincarnation in buddhism, but really? That's the best you can do, a bunch of melodrama?
Jan 30, 2015 4:51 PM

Oct 2014
AaaaaaKun said:
Yes, the system is flawed, I get it, you can see why this system doesn't work even from the first episode if you spend a minute thinking about it. Why do you feel the need to make up something that doesn't or have anything relate to our world and tell people it's suck. It's like arguing about why eating dragon meat is bad, it's pointless. You can say it's something about the concept of reincarnation in buddhism, but really? That's the best you can do, a bunch of melodrama?

The system is flawed because life is not fair.
Jan 30, 2015 4:51 PM

Dec 2014
AaaaaaKun said:

I don't understand... Are you saying that there is no meaning behind the story?
It has humans that are being judged. It can relate to the evil in mankind's souls. You don't have to include the reincarnation or void in that, yet you still have a message that starts conversation.
Jan 30, 2015 4:55 PM
Oct 2014
Wonder how long until those characters show up in Mugen, not like they have to be balanced.
Jan 30, 2015 4:57 PM

Oct 2013
Man I would be completely lost if I were an arbiter
Jan 30, 2015 4:58 PM

Sep 2013
Enh . . . I'm still waiting for something interesting to happen, but it seems to be just a collection of challenges & tearjerker back-stories. :/
Once an alt always an alt! | ( ˇ෴ˇ ) | I ♥ Music
Jan 30, 2015 4:58 PM
Sep 2014
The difference was his clear remorse as opposed to her self preservation. She effectively tried to use her children (whom she neglected to an extent) to save herself. She was unfortunate in life though. At least the guy wouldn't kill himself a second time over. That isn't even for himself. He'd want to grant his stepmother her greatest wish. That's the difference I saw between them.
Jan 30, 2015 5:02 PM

Sep 2013
Not true. Even in the last moments her only concern was: *What would be of my children*. Fuck even her death cause was due to the fact she was pissed she couldn't partecipate at some event with one of her children, cause the manager had made an appointment without prior warning her.
Jan 30, 2015 5:07 PM

Jul 2009
c_ivan13 said:
why did the lady go to hell. all i can guesss was that she didnt really care about her kids since the older ones stared at her with a little hate and then she also did fuck in the hall while her children where sleeping in the room. kinda wish they would have elaborated a little bit more on why the otakus mom left and said she wished he was never born.
GoMarcia said:

Why does everyone think she went to hell? I got the impression that they both went to heaven. As seen in the last episode, being in the elevator with the demon mask doesn't mean you go to hell. isn't it the light that shines out of the elevator that determines that? Both lights were white....am I missing something?
Jan 30, 2015 5:11 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Inugirlz said:
c_ivan13 said:
why did the lady go to hell. all i can guesss was that she didnt really care about her kids since the older ones stared at her with a little hate and then she also did fuck in the hall while her children where sleeping in the room. kinda wish they would have elaborated a little bit more on why the otakus mom left and said she wished he was never born.
GoMarcia said:

Why does everyone think she went to hell? I got the impression that they both went to heaven. As seen in the last episode, being in the elevator with the demon mask doesn't mean you go to hell. isn't it the light that shines out of the elevator that determines that? Both lights were white....am I missing something?

But it was the red one on the woman's elevator.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Jan 30, 2015 5:13 PM

Jul 2009
ABeautifulTable said:
Inugirlz said:

But it was the red one on the woman's elevator.

Yeah i just went back to review. The mask does tell it all i guess.
Jan 30, 2015 5:22 PM

Dec 2014
Brynhildr said:
Not true. Even in the last moments her only concern was: *What would be of my children*. Fuck even her death cause was due to the fact she was pissed she couldn't partecipate at some event with one of her children, cause the manager had made an appointment without prior warning her.

There was still no need to slap her. She said "send me back to those children", unless there was a mistranslation, it would seem that she was saying that as a last hope of getting to live. She even thought they were pathetic in the game and showed no appreciation accept for her youngest.
Jan 30, 2015 5:27 PM
Sep 2014
This was a thrilling great episode. Like always Death parade has that sick twisted thrilling mysterious environment which gets me pumped and going.

I know a lot of people won't like this comment but I find it a bit irritating that they don't tell us who goes to heaven or hell. So my question to everyone is, are they going to tell us the outcome of the death arcade in the later episodes or not. Or are they going to leave the interpretation to us?
Jan 30, 2015 5:30 PM

Nov 2007
Barion-Zara said:
WTH did Misaki go to the void?

Idk, probably something to do with the whole "smashing a guy's skull into a thick pane of glass for a minute straight, after he's already unconscious, to the point his face is sliced up and bloody and has a ton of glass shards buried in his skin".

Murderous psychotic breaks aren't generally looked kindly upon by normal society, never mind at Quindecim.
Jan 30, 2015 5:30 PM
May 2014
teitocchi said:
GoMarcia said:

Same here. She got through lots of shit in her life and raised five children. Was it because she hit Yousuke? Can someone answer this please?

Hit? Heck, she tried to kill him (before knowing they already were dead).
If the roles were switched and he did exactly the same to her, then your judgment would be?
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Jan 30, 2015 5:32 PM

Sep 2013
willierocks said:
Brynhildr said:

There was still no need to slap her. She said "send me back to those children", unless there was a mistranslation, it would seem that she was saying that as a last hope of getting to live. She even thought they were pathetic in the game and showed no appreciation accept for her youngest.

True in that she should have not slap her. Though, I was talking with the guy above me, who stated she didn't care about her children :

She effectively tried to use her children (whom she neglected to an extent) to save herself.

Actually, in that scene, which is the same that happened afterward with the guy and his stepmother, the ultimate ability or whatever consisted in the protection given by the loved ones [ i.e. children / stepmother ]. In both cases they were deeply moved to see their loved ones defend them in the game.

> She said "send me back to those children", unless there was a mistranslation, it would seem that she was saying that as a last hope of getting to live.

Also, no. That was the instinctive reaction of a mother which did not know how could her children live without her. She seemed terrified by the thought of them being completely alone. You can also notice that were true intentions / emotions by the fact that Quindecim tries to comfort both contestants while they are crying.
Jan 30, 2015 5:40 PM
May 2014
KoSparrows said:
_YG_ said:
The woman was sent to hell only because if you compare her sins to Yousuke... there obviously is a big difference

I would like to know kind of scale was (and you) used to pint point the difference in their sins.

Well, using your children for fame, "those" children (not "my", but "those"), violence (in life and after)
and attempted murder (before knowing they already were dead) compared to an apparent
depression that eventually ended in a suicide.

I'd say the scales would be tilted rather heavily to one side.

*I guess you could label that smashing against the machine repeatedly as just violence, but
most people tend to know what would happen eventually.
I don't think anyone would defend him if the roles were switched and he did the same to her.
konatachan80Jan 30, 2015 5:45 PM
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Jan 30, 2015 5:45 PM

Jun 2014
Another awesome episode, that last part where they were both crying was surprisingly powerful. I was surprised the woman was sent to the void though. Obviously in comparison to the guy she was worse, but idk...when I think about it, I guess it makes sense, but it still surprised me.

Decim's character development was great too, I'm loving him ^-^ I like Onna, as well.
KageNoAbisuJan 30, 2015 5:55 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 30, 2015 5:51 PM

Jun 2011
damn feels! T.T
Jan 30, 2015 5:57 PM

Feb 2008
Farabeuf said:
I'm wondering if this show will surprise us further down the line with the decisions that Decim is making being called into question and having some sort of consequence. Being a judge is no easy thing to begin with, and I thought that the way he manipulated the game was rather cruel.

Personally ( and I love that different people have different takes on it. Shows that the series is no lightweight) I think Decim made the wrong decision. The woman, for all her faults, violent temper and manipulative tendencies was murdered. The man gave up on life. For that alone I would have given her another chance instead of him.
I was a bit hesitant to reply to the thread, because I hadn't really seen something I wanted to reply to quite yet, but I think your post will do.

I believe it would be a fundamental mistake to judge them based on how they died. We could say Misaki deserved to be reincarnated because her life was taken from her, and your post suggests we disregard the actions she made in life, that is the crux of the problem. While Yosuke did kill himself, he wasn't a terrible person. Misaki was prone to making bad decisions, and took much of her frustration out on the people around her. Think about her super attack in the game. She begged people to help her, and her children came out and attacked. When the attack was weak, she berated them for being useless. She also abused her manager, and attacked Yosuke, both when she realized things wouldn't go her way.

Now contrast Yosuke who had a similar bad life, but instead of taking it out on people, withdrew to protect himself. He couldn't get attached to his step mother, not because he was worthless, but because he was afraid to do so. He was such a big otaku because otaku culture is escapist culture, and he got so involved with it because it was safer than being involved with other people. Both Yosuke and Misaki was hurt, but the way they dealt with it were phenomenally different. Misaki chose to use people, and would hurt them when they weren't useful enough. Yosuke became afraid of people, and became suspicious of their intentions. The epitome of this is personified in how they both behaved in the end. Misaki didn't find any happiness in life until she made money off of her "mistakes," while Yosuke regretted that he never opened up to someone, even when they(his step mother naturally) kept trying.

If we go back to the second episode and what Nona said. Even if Misaki felt regretful in the end, she didn't have the capacity to care for anyone but herself. Yosuke could've had his life not been derailed since his youth.
DamonashuJan 30, 2015 6:02 PM
Jan 30, 2015 5:59 PM
Jan 2015
What I think Death Parade is trying to do: make you think about judging people (in RL, concerning many things, small and big), how it can effect people's lives. How easy it is to get things wrong, not understanding people's actual feelings.

(We'll probably see some developments with Decim to show this concept more clearly)
Pages (14) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

597 by Seraschi »»
May 1, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2015

215 by Seraschi »»
Apr 26, 2:01 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2015

450 by Seraschi »»
Apr 26, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

840 by sxrpente »»
Apr 23, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.