Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 22, 2015 6:55 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was fun. We get more about designs as the guys and girls works together. The mascots has more or less of entertainment in this episode too.

Not too impressed by some of the school uniform designs though. Nothing can ever be perfect.
Jan 22, 2015 8:27 AM

Aug 2013
Just took a look through it on Raw and will comment more later when the subs are out.

But I can only say that the ending was.... expected....
Jan 22, 2015 8:28 AM

Oct 2012
The director wearing a French maid's outfit, standing next to an airplane parked on
the runway, looking up into the clouds.

660 x 371 pixel version:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/nizigami1/imgs/0/4/0418ce61-s.jpg
1440 x 810 pixel version:
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/nizigami1/imgs/0/4/0418ce61.jpg
Jan 22, 2015 8:57 AM

Dec 2011
So many meetings. And so much progress being made.

But the storm arrived... Oh well, at least this means that they now actually have contact with the author.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 22, 2015 9:03 AM
Jun 2012
Redo everything.. now that's harsh. But we all expected that to blow up. Better it happened early.
Jan 22, 2015 9:03 AM

Jan 2012
A fairly dry episode as we take an educational look at the several steps, and meetings, involved in the animation process. What really stood out to me was Aoi's growth. She's so confident and on top of things now. Unfortunately at the end they receive some bad news, but we were all expecting the author to cause problems at some point.
Jan 22, 2015 9:11 AM
Mar 2014
animefan8800 said:
A fairly dry episode

I disagree. In fact, this is what solidified my opinion of the series going from 'good' to 'great'. It's no longer a concept that's being played safe; every aspect is being brought out to its fullest extent, and the series isn't stopping to catch its breath. It doesn't need to. It's being assertive for the first time in its run.

Needless to say, it was my favourite episode so far.
Jan 22, 2015 9:14 AM

Aug 2013
Andou is so sweet <3
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 22, 2015 9:27 AM

Dec 2009
Well, we knew that was coming. That editor is the worst, even worse than Takanashi.

Overall, great episode. Really liked how they explained the purpose of all those meetings.
Jan 22, 2015 9:35 AM

Apr 2014
damn thats bad

starting all over again
Jan 22, 2015 9:44 AM

Oct 2011
Well, if they start over from scratch... will they need to do the casting for the voice actors again? Zuka still has a chance!
Jan 22, 2015 9:53 AM

Dec 2007
crevette said:
Well, if they start over from scratch... will they need to do the casting for the voice actors again? Zuka still has a chance!
Highly unlikely. They're stopping all production because the character designs may have to be redone, which basically means anything with characters will need to be redone too. That's most of the animation.
The voice acting hasn't even started yet, and is therefore completely unaffected. Rest assured, something else will happen that will give Zuka a chance. From a storytelling perspective, there's little point to the character if something like that doesn't happen.

Overall a nice info dump episode. I'm glad they did it, and also glad they got it out of the way. The fact that, up until this point, they'd brushed past most of the creative process had been a lingering weakness in the series. Finding a place to address that was a no-brainer, even if it'll be boring to some viewers.
And obvious problem is obvious. I was, however, expecting it to take a bit longer and be much more of a headache. But this works fine too.
Jan 22, 2015 9:58 AM
Mar 2014
ErwinJA said:
Overall a nice info dump episode. I'm glad they did it, and also glad they got it out of the way. The fact that, up until this point, they'd brushed past most of the creative process had been a lingering weakness in the series. Finding a place to address that was a no-brainer, even if it'll be boring to some viewers.
And obvious problem is obvious. I was, however, expecting it to take a bit longer and be much more of a headache. But this works fine too.

It would have felt out of place and intrusive if addressed too quickly. There was more than enough going on during the first cour. I'd say now is the best time to have done it, new anime and all..
Jan 22, 2015 10:20 AM

Aug 2011
crevette said:

I hope she does get the role

but really redo everything??? it's that guy's fault for just saying yes(the one who has connections with the mangaka)

Jan 22, 2015 10:24 AM

Jul 2014
I loved this episode, i like how they handled all the meetings. I love the new members, especially Andou.

Overall a great episode. Man, I love this anime.
Jan 22, 2015 10:26 AM

Mar 2014
That start was hilarious, so Yamada-san made an episode in which everything the character did was sleep and Andou-san (at first I thought someone with this name already existed but just mixing it up with Endou-san) thinks everyone else just "doesn't get it" and that there's more to it, the "Hey, are you one of those people?" just made me laugh out loud.

There's also references to a lot of "failures" in production of anime in this series, they make it look like it is something that happens a lot, I guess I don't have that much knowledge but I very rarely hear about anything similar to what they talk about in this show.

The Director also stills gives off that feeling that he has no idea what he is doing and that's he's lazy and that just about anyone could do his job but he still pulls through and is always there, I really like how they are portraying him.

And there has been more comedy than usual in these most recent episodes, I appreciate that before things start getting heavy again (which seems like what will happen in the next episode), doesn't make the initial process feel as boring either, not that it was anyway, this series has characters solid enough that they can carry the show on their own no matter what they are doing.

Still, I don't see how changing character designs is THAT big of a deal, it's not like everything is going to waste.

New ED is nice too.
Jan 22, 2015 10:32 AM

Jul 2010
Pretty interesting to see actually all those different meeting for each particular thing! Seeing all those designs and with Kinoshita imagining him being in the scene.

New people joining and Tarou being a senpai.

The translation towards the composition staff.

Back to square one... just when everything was going so well too :(
Jan 22, 2015 10:40 AM
Jul 2018
They have to redo everything all over again, that's too bad for them.
Jan 22, 2015 10:51 AM
Mar 2013
Possible worst case is not "redo" but "cancel"... I wouldn't be surprised if the original author now don't like to make his work into an animation because his editor had been ignoring him and proceeding the project irresponsibly from the beginning.
Jan 22, 2015 10:53 AM

Apr 2010
I knew the author would speak up at some point especially considering the editors behaviour.
It's almost like the editor didn't care at all but for an author having his/her work animated means a lot and he/she probably wants a word in it.
Well the director wanted to meet him/her so i guess it will be alright but there probably is a lot more work for the staff now.

Normally i think maids and maid outfits are the most boring things in anime but the director in a maid outfit made my day.
That was really funny to look at.

Takanashi didn't gain much trust from his kouhai and i can't really blame them.
The moment when they where sitting in the back was nice and that the meeting with the key frame artists.
Guess he has his personality to blame.

Speaking of the new staff they hired exactly who i thought they would hire, the girl with the yellow hair locks was an obvious choice.
But the woman who needed to travel long for her old job is a good choice as well even if she doesn't know much about the industry yet.
They both seem keen on learning.
AversaJan 22, 2015 10:56 AM
Jan 22, 2015 11:01 AM

May 2010
Kunogi is so cute <3

Starting everything over? For real? Now I am really mad at that editor and author. Poor main cast... I hope they make it somehow.
Jan 22, 2015 11:03 AM

Apr 2013
Man, they have it hard.

Kunogi reminds me of a hamster :3
Jan 22, 2015 11:21 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode. It was really interesting to see what they have to do for making an anime. I really liked the scenes where they explained everything with Miyamori's dolls.
But that ending :o
That's so mean, I had the feeling that something's going to happen because the editor always said that everything's fine, without asking the author.

Jan 22, 2015 11:22 AM

Oct 2012
Great episode, it was fun and they finally got an opinion from the manga author, even though it's a harsh one (redo everything).
Kunogi is a cute character, but she needs a babysitter to help her every meeting lol.
I'm learning English so maybe I make mistakes :)
Jan 22, 2015 11:31 AM

Apr 2013
Guys, I'm not sure I get it.

Do they have to redo the chara designs or just restart everything from the beginning?
(if the latter, maybe Zuka-chan will have a chance to voice a character)
Jan 22, 2015 11:48 AM

Jun 2010
Damn son, the creation industry sure is harsh.
I can bet someone's name is goanna end up in a Death Note.
<--- Who Your Waifus Look Up To --->
Jan 22, 2015 12:12 PM

Dec 2013
Kinda had an inkling that the editor's carefree attitude would lead to something like this. We haven't even gotten to the Titanic Studio part yet and already troubles are raining down on them.

All those meetings, all that organizing. I'm glad that Miyamori has two capable assistants with her this time round.

Oh, for some reason, I found the silent girl, Kunogi Ai, to be absolutely adorable. I want one!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Jan 22, 2015 12:27 PM

Aug 2010
F***!!! That editor needs to get sewed <_<
It's the mangaka's fault for just leaving it to that idiot this whole time.
I knew things were going too smoothly but I didn't expect they'll need to start all over D:

Amazing ep though. Loved seeing how everything is done from A-Z :O

Miyamori is really awesome ^^ Loved Tsubaki quite a lot. Fav new character for sure :3 Ai was lol with how shy she was XD Her facial expressions were hilarious lol
Jan 22, 2015 12:30 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Wow did the hammer fall down hard at the end. There's bound to be interesting drama next couple of episodes.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 22, 2015 12:33 PM
Oct 2012
YumeNoMonogatari said:

Do they have to redo the chara designs or just restart everything from the beginning?

Pretty much. How the characters looked was how the director decided what scenes to show (and the tone of the show), what types of CG they would use (and the tone of the visuals), how the music would interact with the visuals (the actual tone), and this of course would impact the voice actresses. Of course this would require a very serious change in the character design, but it is all interrelated.

That said, most likely it would not change the voice actresses. They should be skilled enough to handle anything short of complete changes in character, however where this really could impact things would be with the availability of the voice actresses - they are booked at certain times, so changing the schedule could also impact them.

Another way it could impact is that no one in entertainment wants to be associated with a train wreck. This change is so big that it threatens the entire project, so that larger companies and their talent, would want to distant themselves from it (the studio is small, so it wouldn't be as if any real bridges would be burnt in doing so). Add to this the director's reputation, and no one would blame people for bailing. That last part isn't fair, but it is how the world works.

So my guess is this will be the reason that Zuka gets the job. She needs the break and would be willing to risk a disaster for an opportunity. The upside of course is that if they pull things off she would get a positive reputation, since everyone would be expecting a disaster, if the animation becomes a success, this success would be amplified for all involved.
Jan 22, 2015 12:43 PM

Jul 2013
Aoi's already starting to have the gist on production desk, everything's flowing fluidly and then Nabe-P came to relay the bad news.

Funny story.
Jan 22, 2015 1:33 PM

Feb 2014
richard360 said:
Damn son, the creation industry sure is harsh.
I can bet someone's name is goanna end up in a Death Note.

The dodgy editor's name should be the first name added to the Death Note. The author himself should've been involved from the start rather than relying on his useless editor who doesn't care much about his job at all. =/

Anyway, a lot of the episode was info dumping which gave us more insight in how complicated projects like this can be. Also good to see the mascots getting much more screentime too! =D

Hopefully Musashino can battle through this storm can resume production ASAP.

Also, Kunogi is really adorable! =3
Jan 22, 2015 1:34 PM

Mar 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
YumeNoMonogatari said:

Pretty much. How the characters looked was how the director decided what scenes to show (and the tone of the show), what types of CG they would use (and the tone of the visuals), how the music would interact with the visuals (the actual tone), and this of course would impact the voice actresses. Of course this would require a very serious change in the character design, but it is all interrelated.

That said, most likely it would not change the voice actresses. They should be skilled enough to handle anything short of complete changes in character, however where this really could impact things would be with the availability of the voice actresses - they are booked at certain times, so changing the schedule could also impact them.

Another way it could impact is that no one in entertainment wants to be associated with a train wreck. This change is so big that it threatens the entire project, so that larger companies and their talent, would want to distant themselves from it (the studio is small, so it wouldn't be as if any real bridges would be burnt in doing so). Add to this the director's reputation, and no one would blame people for bailing. That last part isn't fair, but it is how the world works.

So my guess is this will be the reason that Zuka gets the job. She needs the break and would be willing to risk a disaster for an opportunity. The upside of course is that if they pull things off she would get a positive reputation, since everyone would be expecting a disaster, if the animation becomes a success, this success would be amplified for all involved.
You're looking too deep into it, the only thing changing is the visuals, the VAs and music and other things were picked based on the tone of the manga and the character's personalities, not how they look.
Jan 22, 2015 1:35 PM

Jun 2013
Loved the meetings its a great way to learn more about the anime production process before its actually made. I even like the new staff two and the old staff looks so grown up now
Jan 22, 2015 2:11 PM

Apr 2011
Now that's really annoying getting started on the very beginning..well the editor was really way to easy going it kinda annoy me every time he starts saying "Funny Story" good thing he didn't appear in this episode.
Jan 22, 2015 2:40 PM

Jul 2014
Decent episode. Nothing much other than to show all the meetings necessary for anime production to finally get on its gears. Those two dolls took up too much of the spotlight though, never been too fond of them. Oh, and that cliffhanger ending. Haven't seen something like that since the beginning of the series.
Why do people have such bad taste? Anime isn't subjective anymore.
Jan 22, 2015 2:40 PM

Oct 2011
Everything was going fine until that storm hit the studio!!!!

Damn that editor.

Love the new Kouhei's <3 They picked the ones I liked.

Zuka has a chance YES!!!!!!
Jan 22, 2015 2:56 PM

Dec 2014
That new animator girl was too cute and the new production assistant's were interesting too. Andou was really sweet and her knowledge puts me at ease. She's going to be a good element. The meetings were all interesting and watching the director was funny too. "For the fight scenes the music should be KABOOM VRRRR!" That was PERFECT.
But dat ending! Urgh, I knew it. It's all that stupid editors fault. I hated him since the first time he appeared. Poor guys. Well, looking forward to the next ep.
Jan 22, 2015 3:19 PM

Jan 2013
It took then 15 episodes to start explaining some... contents properly.
It was good to see how good things were going... until the last part...
The new employes are really promising.
Jan 22, 2015 3:27 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
ThreePointer said:
Loved the meetings its a great way to learn more about the anime production process before its actually made. I even like the new staff two and the old staff looks so grown up now

All those meetings were really interesting, there are just so many! And Aoi and director has to go to all of them! She's doing a really great job as production desk, even though she had few troubles when she was working as a production assistant. And I agree, I love how we get to see Aoi and Ema as senpai to others now :D

rinnie002 said:
The meetings were all interesting and watching the director was funny too. "For the fight scenes the music should be KABOOM VRRRR!" That was PERFECT.

Lol yeeah, I was like, how is the composer supposed to even understand that...but hey, at least someone could translate the director's "words."

And ugh. We all knew this was coming. Though I have to say, my first thought was way worse, that the show was being canceled. I always think of worse case scenario, so having to start over wasn't as bad as I thought. Though still really terrible. I mean everyone was getting so into it and everything was going along sooo well, that I would almost think that this is a hit on the staff's morale. All because of that incompetent editor. Jfc, time to get a new editor, author =_=
Jan 22, 2015 4:07 PM
Oct 2012
Paulo27 said:
You're looking too deep into it, the only thing changing is the visuals

It's animation: you change the visuals, you change everything.

Of course if it is minor changes things wouldn't change that much, but that they said "we have to start again", it seems clear that the author has some serious changes, stuff that will impact the director's vision quite completely. And yes, this impacts the VA's directly. The voice has to match the design, the other way around doesn't really work.

Remember how the director selected a scene and then changed the CG visualization all based on how one character's "mature expression" . Take that away and everything changes.

As for how big of a deal this can be, I would hold out Aku No Hana, they messed around with Nakamura and it KILLED the series in the first 7 minutes (rotoscope didn't help, but from reading the posts their changing Nakamura really seemed to push the fans over the edge). Speaking just for myself, one of the reasons I don't read the stories of things I am going to watch (and vice versa) is that I visualize things and it does impact me when things don't match my imagination.
Jan 22, 2015 4:29 PM

Jul 2011
L-Ryoshi said:
Kinda had an inkling that the editor's carefree attitude would lead to something like this. We haven't even gotten to the Titanic Studio part yet and already troubles are raining down on them.

Funny story...

Such a useless editor. I kind of doubt it was the mangaka's fault, rather, I think the editor might have put off filling him in on everything. But this sucks! Changing the character designs mean they have to change all the scenes with them, seiyuu, etc. I don't think that's just the extent of the issue either, since he said they have to restart everything... Incompetent editor!!

Paulo27 said:
That start was hilarious, so Yamada-san made an episode in which everything the character did was sleep and Andou-san (at first I thought someone with this name already existed but just mixing it up with Endou-san) thinks everyone else just "doesn't get it" and that there's more to it, the "Hey, are you one of those people?" just made me laugh out loud.

Otaku? XD That's the vibe I get from her.

I'm liking Andou. She's enthusiastic and knowledgable. :D
Jan 22, 2015 5:29 PM

Dec 2014
Hopefully that won't turn into another Shirokuma Cafe, but there's still a million ways the whole production can go wrong. It's painful to watch since it reminds me my past experience but yet I want to see their reaction under all these pressure, it's turning into a reality show and that's awesome.

If 万策尽きたー\(^o^)/, Myamori, we don't hire you just for your management skill you know, deploy that sexy body at my command! Subdues sensei at all cost! 以上!
Jan 22, 2015 5:32 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
The guys set a record for least amount of time spent on a storyboard xD

Then the guy at the ends says stop all productions and to do everything all over again. Those guys who set that record have to do the drawings again xD

Quite a lot of screen time from Bear-kun and Eye Patch Girl.

Jan 22, 2015 5:50 PM

May 2013
Shirobeko, huh? "One of those people?" Cute.

10 minutes holy sh*t.

Lol Kunogi.

I really like Segawa <3

Damn that artwork. So many meetings.

I'm still sharing that all-girls school dream too * v *

All those little changes.. ah so cool~

Wtf that transition.

With all that quick productivity, it was expected that there would be a problem.
Actually with that stupid manager or whatever of the author, I was expecting even that he didn't give permission at all for the adaption of his manga, but I guess that would suck too much.
Jan 22, 2015 6:08 PM
Mar 2013
Seeing that the editor's irresponsible attitude, the last moment of Episode 15 was foreseeable.
In these case, it would be possible that you need to not only change the visuals but the casting and the way of story telling. For instance, suppose there is a group of sub-characters in the original manga currently doesn't have an important role but the author made a plot that they'll take part in the main story. The director of the anime, who didn't know that there are a certain plots or the advance hints already inserted the original manga, would remove them from the scenario and the casting of the anime because they seemed not very important to him so far. Then how strongly will the original author get angry to know the anime had destroyed his plan that is supposed to be revealed to his readers in future?
It is okay if the editor had told what was going on and the author understood that. For instance in a certain manga, there was a very important ruler in a family. She was a woman but it was hidden at first and readers believed it should have been a brutal man. When the manga was adopted to be an anime, the secret was not revealed in the manga yet but the anime needed its own original ending. The author, director, editor, and the others concerned to the matter hold some meetings and decided the ruler is a man and he appeared only few moment at the last part of the anime. While the person had one of the most important role and long screen time in the manga, they made him just a kind of extra in the anime to avoid more difficult problem. I think that was how they should do because it was too early for the manga to unveil the plot.
In reality, the director knew the original plot and intentionally changed the ruler's situation and importance in the anime with the author's approval.

But now, just imagine what it would be like if there was a irresponsible editor who leak the untold plot to the anime studio and allowed them to make their own original ending containing spoilers and the editor didn't told the author what was going on... I wouldn't be surprised if the anime project had been canceled and never resumed.

As for Shirobako, I think (or I have to say I do hope) it isn't falling down yet and it'll be solved in Episode 16. But possibly, Nabe-P and Miyamori will be in need of more time to take care of the editor and the author.
htsujiJan 22, 2015 11:33 PM
Jan 22, 2015 6:19 PM

Aug 2008
After all the effort. I hope this doesn't happen a lot in real life.

After watching this episode, it makes me appreciate anime even more!
Jan 22, 2015 6:25 PM

Mar 2014
Mirorin said:

Otaku? XD That's the vibe I get from her.

I'm liking Andou. She's enthusiastic and knowledgable. :D

That too, I guess, but it's more like she's one of those people who watches something and thinks it is amazing and when someone disagrees she just says they "don't get it" and it is "2deep4them".

Takuan_Soho said:
Paulo27 said:
You're looking too deep into it, the only thing changing is the visuals

It's animation: you change the visuals, you change everything.

Of course if it is minor changes things wouldn't change that much, but that they said "we have to start again", it seems clear that the author has some serious changes, stuff that will impact the director's vision quite completely. And yes, this impacts the VA's directly. The voice has to match the design, the other way around doesn't really work.

Remember how the director selected a scene and then changed the CG visualization all based on how one character's "mature expression" . Take that away and everything changes.

As for how big of a deal this can be, I would hold out Aku No Hana, they messed around with Nakamura and it KILLED the series in the first 7 minutes (rotoscope didn't help, but from reading the posts their changing Nakamura really seemed to push the fans over the edge). Speaking just for myself, one of the reasons I don't read the stories of things I am going to watch (and vice versa) is that I visualize things and it does impact me when things don't match my imagination.
Like I said, they aren't making things up, they are following the manga, unless the author wants to change the story and the characters for the anime there's really no big deal in changing characters designs, I doubt the current ones are all wrong and don't follow the manga at all, everyone read the manga and knows the characters so they'd know if they are off, if the author only wants to change the eye's position or whatever then it's no big deal, we'll see how big the issue is next episode though.
Jan 22, 2015 6:26 PM
Oct 2012
Kurini said:
After all the effort. I hope this doesn't happen a lot in real life.

Something similar (though not with the writer) happened to the director with episode 6 of Girls und Panzer, forget the exact reason, but I think one of the animation suppliers coughed it up (maybe the Titanic reference).

Fortunately the multiple delays with GuP didn't harm the show. Ultimately if the show delivers it can survive nearly anything, and that was the case with GuP. For those not in the know, episodes 11 and 12 also were delayed, which knocked their broadcast off by 3 months, but those final two episodes were so awesome that everyone who was disappointed were more than satisfied.
Takuan_SohoJan 22, 2015 6:36 PM
Jan 22, 2015 6:46 PM

Aug 2014
damn that's got to suck
https://twitter.com/LightningDash02
OTPs || MyAnimeList || MyMangaList || Favorite Guys || Favorite Girls || Favorite Anime

~LightningXDash02
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Does Shirobako get any better?

terryacer - May 7, 2018

26 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2015

286 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 25, 1:36 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 6, 2014

138 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 12, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 30, 2014

115 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 11, 3:47 AM

Poll: » Shirobako Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 16, 2014

165 by MajedM1999 »»
Mar 6, 2:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.