Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Nov 16, 2014 12:11 PM

Nov 2011
Drinking blood as an alternative to eating grain for the wolf form was creepy. I don't blame Lawrence for being scared.

I'm glad Chloe wasn't killed, to be honest. I don't think I could have viewed Holo the same way if she had; I assume that's why Lawrence stopped her as well.

The drama is very good.
Nov 24, 2014 10:08 PM

Sep 2014
Holo's true from was pretty bad ass and damn frightening.. I don't blame Lawrence for cowering in fear.. I think everyone would be scared as hell after seeing that..

Chloe though.. That was really cold of her.. My view of her has decreased drastically..
Jan 11, 2015 10:19 PM
Dec 2014
Great episode. One of my favorites, so far. I actually liked the part where Lawrence was afraid of Holo. I'm not even sure why. I guess to me it showed a certain vulnerability to his character. I mean, he's usually so calm and collected and in control, it just made his character seem more real and human and interesting. As previously stated, it was hinted that Lawrence has experienced some pretty intense run-ins with wolves and he seems to still suffer somewhat from the trauma of those experiences.

Also, it really hit me how different Lawrence and Holo are from each other. With all the teasing, flirting, and travelling, I sometimes *almost* forget that Holo isn't a normal teenage girl. Almost. ;) I mean, she is clearly much wiser and more intelligent than most 15-year-old teenage girls, but still. She and Lawrence are just so comfortable and natural with each other that they really don't seem all that different. THEN, this happens and I think, "holy goodness, she's a giant, super-strong, wolf-goddess!!!" It just adds a whole new dynamic to their relationship. And I felt for Holo as well as for Lawrence. Here's her best friend who's usually so in-control, cowering in fear.

It also brings to mind the bitter sweetness of their relationship. Don't get me wrong. I want them to get married and have dozens of wolf/human babies. That would be awesome and adorable and perfect! But even with a happy ending like that, you know that there's going to be some sadness as Lawrence ages and dies over the next forty years or so. (And he could even die earlier. People tended to get sick and die a lot in the middle ages.) Even knowing that, I think a romantic relationship would be totally worth it, but it will still be sad eventually. Hopefully, Holo's aforementioned wolf/human babies can keep her company and perhaps soften the loss a little.

And yes, the villager who originally struck the harvest goddess deal with Holo was not afraid of her wolf form, but he was the exception, not the rule. Holo is used to humans being terrified of her wolf form. Not that Lawrence's reaction wouldn't still make her sad. I don't blame Lawrence, though. It was a pretty frightening situation. And he did his best to overcome his fear in the end.

And I actually really loved the part when Lawrence yelled that he would follow Holo all the way to the North. Sure, he claimed it was all about her paying him back, but the emotion in his voice certainly said otherwise. Great dialogue and voice acting in this series! It's a script that really makes you think.
ViolaHarmonyJan 12, 2015 12:59 AM
Jan 27, 2015 8:04 AM
Feb 4, 2015 6:31 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I didn't expect Holo to actually be able to transform to full blown god size Wolf but boy did she. She was most impressive. The episode ended beautifully too. Spice and Wolf makes a lot of sense now.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 13, 2015 11:17 AM

Mar 2012
Still find it a bit odd how people aren't too shocked when they see Holo's tail and ears.

BashZeStampeedo said:
HikariJake said:
Also, why the hell is Lawrence so scared of Holo when she's in her wolf form? >__>

It's hinted at in episode 2, and explained more in the novels. He's come close to being caught by wolves several times while traveling, and has seen and/or heard others get eaten alive by wolves at least once. Oh, and she's also an enormous man-eating wolf. Not many people I know wouldn't shit themselves in that situation.

Poor fella is traumatized : /
Mar 29, 2015 10:52 AM

Dec 2013
Chloe's character fucking sucks. I guess you can only do so much with an anime original character.
Matsuoka Yoshitsugu has hardly any range as a voice actor, and is grossly over-cast.

Yeah. I said it.
May 1, 2015 3:47 PM
Nov 2014
gr8 episode, Horo wolf mode = BEAST.

That ending scene was damn good as well, really well done and explained the title of the show.
May 6, 2015 11:21 AM

Feb 2013
Awesome episode, Holo's wolf form was actually really damn cool. She wrecked Bitchface and her crew, I actually thought she was gonna bite her bitchy head off there for a second. Not like Bitchface wouldn't have deserved it, considering how quick she was to give the order to have Lawrence killed. Id like to hope she learned her lesson and this is the last we'll be seeing of her, but I have this nagging feeling that shes gonna come after them again in some sort of jealous rage :/.

But damn this episode really had me scared, I thought they were actually gonna have Holo go off on her own and leave Lawrence. I'm glad they didn't get separated in the end, that would have been really sad >_<.
Jul 8, 2015 5:17 PM

Mar 2013
HOLO IS SO DAMN CUTE
Oct 24, 2015 10:22 AM

Apr 2014
I get how Lawrence is afraid of Holo, but man he sure is a pussy haha
At least kill the bitch Chloe...are those men with her dead? If so GOOD, if not...Fuck!
Still hate Chloe...she should just die there!
Nov 3, 2015 7:59 PM

Dec 2013
whoa, loved this episode. It was natural for Lawrence to be scared at Horo's true form, I guess. That Chloe girl was very infuriating. I thought she would be killed by Horo tho.

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Dec 18, 2015 7:33 AM

Aug 2014
Maybe the best episode in the series .
Jan 2, 2016 3:40 PM
Jan 2016
I WISH BEAST HORO KILLED BITCH CHLOE!!
Dec 16, 2016 11:14 AM

Feb 2015
Really, the money of the clothes was the only thing on his mind when Holo was about to run off there? Not even sure if that was plain stupid or supposed to be funny.
Dec 19, 2016 10:49 AM
Aug 2009
Milennin said:
Really, the money of the clothes was the only thing on his mind when Holo was about to run off there? Not even sure if that was plain stupid or supposed to be funny.

Is it really so difficult to see that he's just desperately trying to come with an excuse for her to not walk away from him? The guy's just had serious attempts made on his life, and lost enough blood to pass out and be barely able to stand. Cut him some slack.
Mar 2, 2017 12:23 PM

Aug 2014
Damn Lawrence definitely got something for Holo <.< And now the name makes sense, lol.
Nov 30, 2017 11:32 AM

May 2015
A doggy <3, btu still this show is letdown for me.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 15, 2017 3:24 PM
Apr 2014
Omg he fucked it up again... At least he noticed before losing consciousness this time. Luckily it didn't affect their relationship in a bad way.
Jan 10, 2018 11:00 PM

Dec 2014
Holo going full wolf mode reminds me of Bigby from Fables
Feb 8, 2019 5:02 PM

Nov 2016
I was already wondering about the spice in the title.

Really good episode and I'm glad that Holo didn't kill anyone.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 11, 2019 2:18 PM
Oct 2017
This solidifies my hate for Lawrence, always squealing when she transforms & begging her to spare Chloe... WTF dude. Holo deserves better.
Sep 29, 2019 6:52 AM

Apr 2013
Holo should've killed them all, especially that bitch Chloe.
Dec 3, 2019 5:53 PM
Apr 2016
What a giant wolf, so that's her wolf form. Sweet ending.
Jun 3, 2020 8:44 PM

May 2019
"why people doesn't care for demihuman with animals ears and tail who can transform into a giant man-eater wolf?"

CAPITALISM BABY!

Libertarians seek for profit, not for prejudice.
Aug 25, 2020 11:14 PM

Apr 2020
Good episode as usual. Holo using blood to transform into a giant wolf... Does it make her both a vampire and a werewolf?

Can't blame Lawrence of being scared seeing such combo.

Also, their reunion seasoned by Holo's tsundere side in the end is just sweet.
[right]=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=:=
Oct 9, 2020 6:28 PM
Feb 2020
Wolf Go Chew!

No One:

Chloe: Kill The Man.

Not so tough now huh bitch

Jan 23, 2021 7:15 AM

Jul 2017
Good episode to wrap up this arc. Holo's true form as a giant wolf was awesome and it was so much to handle that even Lawrence was a little afraid, which shows genuine vulnerability he has as a character and a person but despite that, wanted to still be with her regardless of all of it. Goes to show how he takes his contracts with his clients that seriously lol. Didn't even care about the history he had with Chloe in the past for him to back down on Holo. Her allowing him to be dead was a bit excessive but Holo managed to scare everyone away with the wolf form anyway so in the end, all kind of worked out in the right direction.

Furthermore, Lawrence and the Milone Trading Company managed to make a very small profit in the end, due to the amount of expenses involved with the venture. Even so, he got his share of the remaining payment in pepper for trading (which is nice to see the barter system work here) as it would be helpful for him trading with others that could lead to more of a profit in the grand scheme of things than just taking the money directly now. The shop dream is still far away, but he's making some progress, especially while still being partners with Holo.
Jul 1, 2021 11:19 PM

Jan 2021
I was a bit disappointed when Holo didn't kill Chloe lol. But maybe Holo doesn't want to kill people in front of Lawrence.

Mar 13, 2022 4:56 AM

Nov 2013
So many bloodthirsty people in this thread, Jesus...

Chloe is guilty and deserves punishment, but to wish for her to be killed so badly? -_-

Thankfully Holo knows when she should stop.

Also, some people seem to call MC a pussy for fearing Holo's wolf-form. Dude has a PTSD! This was explained already! He did try to fight it though, at least.
Apr 12, 2022 4:15 AM

Sep 2014
So here was the action and drama missing from the last EP, I was wondering how Holo was able to get caught at all given her wolf nature but not wanting to transform in public when her wolf form is actually HUGE seems a good enough reason.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 23, 2022 12:34 AM

Jan 2022
I like the part where the guy goes "thats spice and wolf"
-insert NGE meme here-
Jan 24, 2023 10:53 PM

Jul 2019
I'd like to pay attention when they talk about economics and trading and stuff, but as soon as the they mention tariffs or taxes I stop trying to understand. I still love their relationship and conversations, I just don't understand what they're saying. :/

Chloe isn't very nice and I hope she get her comeuppance. The church can suck a fat dong as well if they keep this shit up.
Feb 15, 2023 9:52 PM

Dec 2022
and thus, a legend is born
Jul 8, 2023 7:50 AM

Mar 2022
Man this episode was full of action, we even got to see Holo's wolf form which was awesome in its entirety. Lawrence, the normally cool and calm one was scared out of his mind upon seeing Holo's true form. The poor thing must've been shaking like a leaf he was that scared.

Chole just didn't hesitate about wanting to kill Lawrence she definitely is in this for her own personal gain. I'm glad that she didn't get killed off because at least even in her wolf form, it shows Holo has a level of restraint and this pretty much adds to her dynamic with Lawrence.

And now we know why the show is called Spice and Wolf. Great stuff, great stuff.
Sep 12, 2023 1:40 PM

Dec 2022
So that's what the title means...

Holo sure is merciful. Maybe her and Lawrence think killing would bring them even more trouble, since they have no legal protection.

Shaded Horizon

Oct 18, 2023 11:48 PM

Oct 2020
I don't know why it didn't offer me a pop-up to rate and discuss the previous episode but this one was great
I was honestly starting to get a little bored but we got some major developments and action

Plus now we know why it's called Spice and Wolf, haha
Dec 25, 2023 8:22 PM
Jul 2017
her turning into a wolf was metal af, i wish they killed chloe though

writing is basic and meh. the plot is trying to make itself more complex than what it is
Mar 28, 9:09 PM

Jul 2023
What happened was pretty abrupt regarding the betrayal, but at least we get to see Holo's true form.

Chloe, too bad, is a total bitch.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Jan 16, 2008

146 by GooseHybrid »»
Apr 17, 10:00 AM

» Vintage over modernity

JustSomeone15 - Apr 10

31 by Chronoes »»
Apr 17, 1:29 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

8GaugeBrett - Mar 25, 2008

319 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 16, 4:20 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

8GaugeBrett - Mar 6, 2008

154 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 9, 4:01 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Asako - Feb 19, 2008

153 by BetaMaleUltra »»
Apr 4, 4:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.