Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2015 1:39 PM

Jan 2009
The affair could have been going on for years, before and after the wedding.

zellami said:
I think she agreed to the arranged marriage, because she wanted to break up with the first guy. The doctor was a good match and a tolerable choice, so, perhaps she wanted a new beginning. But she was pregnant with the child of the other man. I think he was trying to get in touch with her, because he didn't know she got married in the mean time.

Nice fan-fiction :)
Jan 9, 2015 1:42 PM
Oct 2014
It was awesome (^o^)/ and the opening is really random xD
Jan 9, 2015 1:45 PM

Jan 2014
Why'd they cover her face if she cheated on them?
Jan 9, 2015 1:45 PM

Oct 2013
Love it...lol it reminds me of Saw the movies...xD
Jan 9, 2015 1:50 PM
Sep 2014
-OJ- said:

They wouldn't show that particular image with the ring, if it wouldn't mean anything. Also at the end credits they show this http://i.imgur.com/MAHvfR9.png . I don't know Japanese but I could bet it says Machida Yuki just so they can fuck with us more.
Jan 9, 2015 1:53 PM

Dec 2012
koolvid said:
zellami said:

I think she agreed to the arranged marriage, because she wanted to break up with the first guy. The doctor was a good match and a tolerable choice, so, perhaps she wanted a new beginning. But she was pregnant with the child of the other man. I think he was trying to get in touch with her, because he didn't know she got married in the mean time.

she did say she was in it for the money and never loved him and the way her friends were talking about her made it seem like she has a record for hooking up with the right people.

With the "Matchy" thing, she actually told her story.

On the other hand, he didn't love her too and he didn't cancel the wedding, because it was convenient to him as well. If anything, if what someone's friends say is more important than your partner's words, it would have been better if he had confronted on the spot or never proceed with the wedding.

Also, I don't think the point was to demonize one character or another - after all, the little things they both missed to clear slipped them in one tragic fate.
zellamiJan 9, 2015 2:05 PM
Jan 9, 2015 1:54 PM

Feb 2012

AOTY. For the next 3 months Fridays are gonna be pretty good.
Jan 9, 2015 2:06 PM

Jan 2009
Girl said:
Anyone else think that it is possible that the woman tried to do a selfless thing and took the blame on herself and accepted the accusation of cheating so that the husband would be spared?
Though judging by how the end played out, not likely.

I mean, it certainly would be possible . . .

It's possible but that would mean the system is realy broken. Sending a person to hell when she was actually faithful and selfless?
Jan 9, 2015 2:06 PM

Jan 2013
Such a cheery opening for such a dramatic anime.
Jan 9, 2015 2:08 PM

Jul 2011
Girl said:
Anyone else think that it is possible that the woman tried to do a selfless thing and took the blame on herself and accepted the accusation of cheating so that the husband would be spared?
Though judging by how the end played out, not likely.

I mean, it certainly would be possible . . .

That was my initial thought, but since she ended up with the punishment...
Jan 9, 2015 2:09 PM
Jul 2018
Holly that was cruel...
I've been watching some death games related anime but this stands out by being much more psychologicaly damaging than the others.
I'm very hyped for this but scared at the same time.
I felt this game was "awful" like the girl in the end. :/
Jan 9, 2015 2:10 PM

Nov 2012
This actually looks promising,unlike a majority of this season.Already my favorite from this season.

Seems the game aspect of this really doesn't matter,cause the bartender never stated that winning the game means you go to heaven & losing the game means you go to hell.The game is necessary though,cause knowing their life is at stake makes people reveal their true colors/nature and most of the time this reveals their darker selves.I think it also has more to do with who has the will to live more,in this case the husband thus why he was reincarnated & those that come to terms with their deaths,in this case the wife who ended up in a void.

Edit: Ohh and yeah the wife definitely lied about herself cheat & the baby not being his for the husband's sake & took the worse punishment upon herself.
VanishingKiraJan 9, 2015 2:36 PM
Jan 9, 2015 2:13 PM

Oct 2013
I guess there's no question now of who went where in Death Billiards if you look at the masks above the elevators. Same level of animation, although there's a lot more detail in Death Billiards (to be expected as a 26 minute movie) so if anyone hasn't seen that they really should, if nothing else to get a full sense of the loveliness of that bar.

I hope it's not an endless show of matches though.
Jan 9, 2015 2:15 PM

Feb 2012
Xterme said:
-OJ- said:

They wouldn't show that particular image with the ring, if it wouldn't mean anything. Also at the end credits they show this http://i.imgur.com/MAHvfR9.png . I don't know Japanese but I could bet it says Machida Yuki just so they can fuck with us more.

It does say "Machida Yuuki-sama", which makes the whole thing even more confusing imo.

Still a really good 1st episode though.

Jan 9, 2015 2:15 PM

Jul 2014
Awesome first ep, I'm going after the OVA now.

Also..all these people arguing if she did indeed cheat or if even though she did cheat she should be the one to go to the void or not...

Oh for crying out loud...just watch the ep.

Yes and yes.
Jan 9, 2015 2:21 PM

Oct 2011
-OJ- said:

The pair's bedroom ii.imgur.com/krMClVi.jpg
Love hotel bedroom with a shower ii.imgur.com/MC4F5zr.jpg

She was pregnant but not with the husband's child.

Awesome find - good eye!

I really.. Really want to find out more about that white-haired girl with the braided hair... Like. Really want to.

Playful? Check. Adorable? Check. Singer? Check.

I must know more about her.
"Evidently... There's no such thing as 'meaning' in this world. But that in itself is wonderful... isn't it? Since if there isn't a set meaning, then you can just find one on your own."
- Filicia Heideman, So Ra No Wo To
Jan 9, 2015 2:22 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I arrived at this show since I saw it was done by Madhouse and I was not disappointed. The art, story and music were all well done. A definite keeper for this season.

At first I though that she had not cheated, and just lashed out at him in anger for his mistrust of her. But then I saw the masks and punishment verdict so it seems I'm wrong and she did have the child with the other man. A pity really. She seemed like a nice lady.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 9, 2015 2:27 PM
Aug 2013
Hope this fills me up with a masterpeice
Jan 9, 2015 2:29 PM

Jan 2014
It's gonna be good.
Jan 9, 2015 2:30 PM

Aug 2014
- well damn, another FunAni one
- OP is rather upbeat, haha I like it
- No idea what I was expecting but...
- this is too damn dark for me

oh what, the girl end up going to hell and the guy up to heaven? (looking at the masks on the elevator)

*watches the episode epilogue*
so that last moment acting she did was to help him ascend to heaven?

Overall, this show is... wow.
I probably won't watch because I can't get into these dark shows anymore but it is a damn good show so far.
Jan 9, 2015 2:30 PM

Mar 2012
koolvid said:
Buddhism is way of life and none that I know of look at life as suffering. Many atheist are buddhist and enjoy being so because of it's philosophy and what it teaches in accordance to approaching how one should live their lives. And buddhist aren't scared of the thought of reincarnation but embrace it. It would certainly be heaven for those who get sent to "hell".
Well, one of the first things I remember having read about Buddhism (probably in a world history textbook from middle school) is that one of its core tenets (inasmuch as it can even be claimed to have any) is that life is suffering, and nirvana is the state of being free from the endless suffering of the reincarnation cycle. But like I said, I haven't really studied it much beyond the very basic differences between Theravada and Mahayana, so I don't profess to know what actual modern Buddhists think about all this. For all I know I could also be confusing Buddhist beliefs with Hindu ones here and there.
Jan 9, 2015 2:31 PM

Jan 2014
After watching Death Billiards a while back, and hearing it was getting an anime, I was so pumped up, and had high expectations. And What I just saw was amazing :D The animation is so good, MADHOUSE HAS DONE IT AGAIN!!!!!

But I'm a lil confused on who went to heaven and who went to hell.
Jan 9, 2015 2:32 PM
Jun 2012
Farabeuf said:
A pity really. She seemed like a nice lady.

Quote of the day.
Jan 9, 2015 2:32 PM

Oct 2013
I think she was telling the truth, because at that point she had nothing more to lose. She was dead, her husband was dead, the child was dead, she had won the game. If you can't be honest at that point, when can you?
Jan 9, 2015 2:33 PM

Jan 2014
I don't like how this show leaves important things for the viewers to decide.
Jan 9, 2015 2:33 PM

Mar 2013
BRSxIgnition said:
I really.. Really want to find out more about that white-haired girl with the braided hair... Like. Really want to.[/b]
Jan 9, 2015 2:34 PM

Oct 2012
Madhouse saving anime yet again.
Jan 9, 2015 2:34 PM

Aug 2013
This is definitely unusual anime. OP was so surprising but great.
I still need to wait for few animes to come...but for now...this is my season favourite.
Psychological and Game elements fit so good together.
Madhouse really is AMAZING!
Jan 9, 2015 2:38 PM
Mar 2013
that one guy reminded me of ginko

it's always good to see women getting BTFO.
Jan 9, 2015 2:39 PM

Oct 2013
Dude, that messed with my mind. The game didn't decide who went where, its what went on DURING the game that did
Jan 9, 2015 2:43 PM

Nov 2012
Was the line by the girl in the bathroom where she said that his wife was cheating poorly translated or something? IIRC she said something like "her husband is a doctor" despite them not being married yet.
Jan 9, 2015 2:44 PM

Oct 2013
arkv said:
Was the line by the girl in the bathroom where she said that his wife was cheating poorly translated or something? IIRC she said something like "her husband is a doctor" despite them not being married yet.

She could still have a cheating friend and cheat on the guy at the same time

Aug 2011
Wow... That was a really good beginning, really loved the pace...
They tried to make it closer to its original setting, but they added a lot of little details that made it darker than the original OVA.
I mean, we had a couple in the very first episode, that brings a whole new level of perceptions, in the OVA we got two strangers, but now they knew each other before, and this caused a deeper psychological matter for the characters that were playing, and when they reached their limit, they started to show their real self. That was a really nice touch!
I loved the opening, I think it fits well... beside its own weirdness!
Well, it's MADHOUSE, and that's all. Can't wait for more.

Jan 2014
Wow that was really great, it was amazing to see how they built a backstory and realistic interactions between the husband and wife in just one episode! But I was surprised the woman was sent to hell, I totally thought she was faking it. Next episode is behind the scenes? Excited to see more!
Jan 9, 2015 2:45 PM

Aug 2014
arkv said:
That's exactly what I thought, seemed like quite an obvious hint that she was talking about someone else
Jan 9, 2015 2:47 PM

Aug 2014
God damn that definitely lived up to the death billiards hype, I hope this kind of quality keeps up throughout the whole series.
Madhouse the best.
Jan 9, 2015 3:00 PM

Jun 2014
I need the gif when the male finally realizes and breaks

Jan 9, 2015 3:05 PM

Nov 2012
LordThunderbutt said:
arkv said:

She could still have a cheating friend and cheat on the guy at the same time

I guess, it's hard to say whether the husband would have been as suspicious hearing that instead of "her fiancé is a doctor". Although it was her wedding day so it would have been an easy mistake for her friend to make. The weird thing is that "Matchy" did actually exist as shown in the picture someone linked earlier showing a reservation card for her at the reception.

If the episode was longer than 20 minutes then I could understand the point of trying to confuse the viewer but it just seems needless given that she admitted to cheating so quickly.
Jan 9, 2015 3:05 PM

May 2013
Madhouse delivers yet again. Loved it!
Jan 9, 2015 3:12 PM

Aug 2011
I'm really excited from watching the first ep!

At first I thought I made a mistake when the OP began. "Was this a comedy?" I thought to myself. But when the game began, I knew I was going to like it. The tone is just the right amount of 'dark' for me and the pacing kept me constantly interested in what was happening.

Very happy with what Madhouse produced so far, I'm looking forward to the next ep.
Jan 9, 2015 3:12 PM

Jul 2014
I like this. A Lot.
Most likely going to be the anime of the season.
Jan 9, 2015 3:17 PM
Oct 2012
I'm pretty sure the wife wasn't cheating on him.
In Buddhism, a person is reincarnated over and over again until they reach enlightenment. If you take that into consideration, then the wife would be the one who "won".
She told her husband that she was cheating on him AFTER he shot the dart at her belly, killing their child. If the husband were to accept that it was his child, then he would go mad with grief so she decided to lie to him about it being another man's child, making the husband direct his anger at her instead.
Jan 9, 2015 3:24 PM

Nov 2012
I hate and love this anime based on this ep and OVA all at the same time. It's so compelling and thought provoking, but kind of annoying that you never really know the answer 100 percent.
Jaywalker.
Jan 9, 2015 3:26 PM

May 2010
sick first episode. love how she went to hell ^^

super intense with all these twists. friday is saved. this and jojo :D
Jan 9, 2015 3:27 PM

Jan 2014
This was just awesome. Madhouse strikes again
Jan 9, 2015 3:30 PM

Dec 2011
I'm most excited for this show this season.. The rest of the shows don't really grab my attention or interest me...

Awww only 12 eps :< oh well, will take what I can get :D Hopefully it gains enough attention for a second season or a really solid ending
Jan 9, 2015 3:30 PM

Jan 2008
True human nature. Wonder what duos we'll be seeing for the future episodes. The episode preview for next episode seems more like it was going to focus on introduce the others but I do hope they manage to fill in another pair.
Jan 9, 2015 3:32 PM
Jan 2014
That was one of the quickest 20 minutes in recent memory. Holy crap I was hooked.

I'm glad everyone else is liking it, anime of the season indeed.
Jan 9, 2015 3:35 PM

Jan 2009
The wife did cheat on her husband, but probably just a one night stand when he grow cold towards her after the wedding. So the whole thing originated from the husbands jealousy
Jan 9, 2015 3:38 PM

Jun 2013
Awesome episode, it really picked up at the end there. I'm very excited for this series after that first episode.
Pages (17) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

597 by Seraschi »»
May 1, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2015

215 by Seraschi »»
Apr 26, 2:01 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2015

450 by Seraschi »»
Apr 26, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2015

672 by NikoFool »»
Apr 2, 10:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.