Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Yowamushi Pedal
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 1, 2014 8:59 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So fast~

Akira is also back in the race in full force now. How gross yet I am hyped to see what he will do. Competition is still fierce which is great. For the team! I see blood though so this episode really highlights the intensity of the race.

Whoever the hell wins this deserves it for good. The story about the water bottle was interesting as well!
Stark700Dec 1, 2014 11:00 AM
Dec 1, 2014 11:10 AM

Jul 2010
The 3vs3 duel and that Hiroshima would work with Kyoto Fushimi if they catches up!

Machimiya with his tongue out and those shoulder blades. That riding style that hits his chest. Felt bad for him that he lost all his water on last year's race and that took his chance to win.

Machimiya keeps on speeding up yet Arakita manages to close the gap before it is too late! Honestly, I feel that Arakita is about to get serious! Him being like an evolved version of Machimiya!

Machimiya headbutting Arakita and willing to hit his teammates too.
Dec 1, 2014 11:35 AM

May 2013
Nice sprint battle going on. Lol Michimiya making a stainless steel water bottle so it won't be cracked.
Dec 1, 2014 11:35 AM

Nov 2007
Arakita may not mind guys like Machimiya but i do........to get bitter to this extent because of something that wasn't even Fukutomi's fault. Annoying.
Also,what's up with agreeing to stupid rules like that?dude,like i would stop following you just because you pull 20m,hah

Ibitani amuses me though,for some reason.
Dec 1, 2014 11:37 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Not really surprised to see Machimiya had a promise to keep with Midousuji. Both of them are creeps so they're pretty compatible with each other. XD
That riding style though.. Definitely Midousuji's second coming!

Even after hearing Machimiya's backstory, I still don't feel sorry for him. His current actions aren't quite justified with his past.
But Arakita seems to have understand his position. I'm sure even he's behaving way better, despite having a similar backstory of sort.

Good episode. Post credit with Machimiya making stainless steel bottles for the team was pretty funny!

Dec 1, 2014 11:45 AM

Jul 2012
Guy refuses to share water bottle, forever swear revenge on him.
Dec 1, 2014 11:50 AM

Nov 2009
Frankly, I didn't like Fukutomi before, and this did nothing to get me warmed up to him.
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
Dec 1, 2014 11:57 AM

Oct 2014
Machimiya's sudden change in character was very alarming. However, it wasn't very surprising now that I think about it. He was in the top six (assuming that I'm remembering this correctly) during the previous race. That's not a feat that someone can accomplish by just trickery alone. Now we get to see his true colors. This should be interesting.

I'm also glad that Midousuji isn't completely irrelevant yet. Machimiya was annoying me so much that I started missing Midousuji's creepiness. They're both creepy people, but Midousuji is a different kind of creepy.

Also, that post credits scene. XD
Dec 1, 2014 12:13 PM

Aug 2010
Finally! Midosouji back in action :3 He's still got his teeth and sound effects :D

Why does every villain like person have to take his tongue out lol XD
Dec 1, 2014 12:14 PM

Oct 2014
Oh boy more pissing monologue, finish the race already.
Dec 1, 2014 12:46 PM

Feb 2014
Machimiya and Midousuji working together.

Flashbacks of the past.
Machimiya wanting revenge over Hakone.

Onoda and Manami worrying.
Right when Arakita smiled, the mood changed.

Lol, Machimiya making better and improved water bottles after the incident.
> "It's a bottle that can't be broken!"
His teammate being very happy.

"Later on, you will become a lively person causing headaches as the shrine-god."
Dec 1, 2014 1:31 PM

Jan 2013
Black_wind said:
Arakita may not mind guys like Machimiya but i do........to get bitter to this extent because of something that wasn't even Fukutomi's fault. Annoying.
Also,what's up with agreeing to stupid rules like that?dude,like i would stop following you just because you pull 20m,hah

^Same thoughts for me. These were the 2 main points I observed this ep. Guy had a grudge towards Fuku just because he refused on giving him a bottle of water which is basically not his fault. Infuriating. Seeing them lose the race would obviously give me satisfaction.

2nd about the bullshit rule they made up, and as expected, Arakita have to agree. Which I am assuming there will be some kind of accident about to happen coz "It's part of their plan!". Not sure tho XD
Dec 1, 2014 5:28 PM

Mar 2012
How dare Fukutomi not share his water bottle with Machimiya? That fiend!
Dec 1, 2014 5:30 PM

Oct 2013
Pffft... he's that pissed because of a water bottle? Oh man, that is hilarious. Man up, dude. That's just pathetic.
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Dec 1, 2014 5:45 PM

Apr 2014
Getting revenge because good old Fuku-chan won't share a bottle of water with him...is he in grade school? XD

Oh no he didn't. He just headbutted Arakita and make him bleed at that. This is not legal in my book.

Oh snap! Arakita had flashed his once in a life time bishonen smile. Things are going to get real :3
Dec 1, 2014 6:04 PM

Jan 2011
An unbreakable bottle!
Dec 1, 2014 7:20 PM

Jan 2013
That was pretty violent, they can get away with a lot.
Too bad Onoda couldn't compete on flat ground.
Dec 1, 2014 8:13 PM

Oct 2011
I felt nothing for Machimiya. OMG how dare you hurt Arakita > ; 0

OMG if you hurt Onoda and/or Manami. I will....Grrrrrrrrr

Did you just take Hibari Kyoya's line...OMFG
AnimeFan500Dec 1, 2014 8:17 PM
Dec 1, 2014 8:17 PM

Apr 2014
It is episodes like this that remind me how over-the-top ridiculously charming the show is.

Don't want to share a water bottle? ETERNAL REVENGE. xD
Dec 1, 2014 8:42 PM

Apr 2013
the mangaka has a strong tongue fetish.
Dec 1, 2014 10:15 PM

Jun 2011
Arakita's so cool at the last part. It's rare to see him being calm lol

Laughed so hard at Machimiya's new bottle inventions XD lmao
Dec 1, 2014 10:44 PM

Jul 2012
not too fond of this episode (because machimiya)

but lol @ omake.
Dec 2, 2014 12:19 AM

Apr 2009
I haven't read the manga but from what I've seen of Midousuji so far... like hell he'd make any deals with anyone who just says they're not a small fry like the others. I expect him to use Machimiya and discard him with a jeering "gross".

What is with the tongue lolling ridestyle. Shinkai, Midousuji, now Machimiya. I also love how they can talk normally with their tongue hanging out >_>

The whole water bottle incident is such bad writing I can't believe it. Like you would have both bottles damaged if you didn't fall (and if you did fall, you'd check right?). Then, cue eternal hatred because your opponent was sensible. Yeah, Machimiya isn't exactly a fave character.
Dec 2, 2014 2:49 AM

Jul 2011
During the whole episode I was like

But at least we got 2 episodes of Arakita.
Dec 2, 2014 7:59 AM

Jul 2014
Damn arakita is so likable.
How do I signature?
Dec 2, 2014 8:18 AM
Dec 2010
Honestly, I felt this episode was really bad. That has to have been one of the lamest backstories in anime history. "He wouldn't share a bottle with me, now I vow my life to destroy him at the next Interhigh." Such a damn lame reason. As if Machimiya wasn't bad enough of a character with him clearly just being cheap, admittedly more manipulative, imitation of Midosouji, but such a lame reason? That's just so bad.

And how the hell are headbutts legal? I get bumping into each other, but full-on headbutts to purposely hit his opponents AND HIS OWN DAMN TEAMMATE. Man, he's such an awful character.
Dec 2, 2014 9:48 AM
Mar 2010
Nwope. I still don't like Machimiya. I don't like Midousuji much either though. But my dislike for Machimiya outweighs my dislike for Midousuji.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Dec 2, 2014 9:57 AM
Aug 2012
As episodes passes by Yowamushi Pedal feels less like a competition and more like Good and Hard Working guys vs Orochimaru Clones with shitty personality and sad back story(which definitely doesn't justify their actions tbh). Seriously give me some races similar to the start of the show or training camp.............

Also could they stop with "tongue out" bs...........it's distracting and annoying.

Dec 2, 2014 1:14 PM

Jul 2012
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
As episodes passes by Yowamushi Pedal feels less like a competition and more like Good and Hard Working guys vs Orochimaru Clones with shitty personality and sad back story(which definitely doesn't justify their actions tbh). Seriously give me some races similar to the start of the show or training camp.............

Also could they stop with "tongue out" bs...........it's distracting and annoying.

I feel ya! :( I feel like it's losing the dramatic sports anime feel and it's just a battle shounen now with badly written new villains.. :/ Oh well, Arakita redeems it though for just being there.
Dec 2, 2014 2:54 PM

Dec 2011
Well, it's not like Miya's grudge was about just the water bottle.

I'm going to pretty much repeat what my friend said earlier on twitter, but during that race Machimiya was under a lot of pressure because
1) He was made the ace while only a second year, not a light burden 2) The race was at his hometown and there was pride involved (which sounds familiar to Hakogaku right now considering that the IH is in Hakone) 3) Wanted to impress his senpai who trusted him with the ace tag.
He worked really hard to try and make something out of that race, and lost because of such a ridiculous reason, and had to see Hakogaku take the podium (AGAIN since they won in the previous day if I'm not mistaken), to me it's only natural that he holds a grudge against them. I'm not saying Fukutomi is on the wrong for refusing him the bottle but come on, in Machimiya's place I'd be angry too.

Not like I'm trying to excuse his actions, fooling the pack was a dick move and he likes to talk big and rude so it's perfectly understandable that people dislike him or find it hard to sympathize, but given the circunstances, it's kinda grating that people say his reason to be angry is stupid.

Like Arakita himself said, Machimiya is a lot like what he was in the past, holding grudges and taking out his anger on other people, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's fundamentally horrible and can't change (I mean, look at how far Arakita came from how he was before). He's just a kid with a bike and a grudge at the end of the day, at least that's how I see it.

This got long, sorry. lmao
Dec 2, 2014 3:20 PM

Oct 2013
Well that stainless steel bottle will help lol.

And dang even if Hiroshima makes it to the front, I feel like Midosuji will ditch 'em eventually.
Dec 2, 2014 6:16 PM

Nov 2014
I really love Arakita, and I'm so glad he's been getting attention the past two episodes. It was also super interesting to learn more about Machimiya, and I definitely like him better after this episode. I wonder how it's been going at the front... It's sort of nice that the anime is taking a break from Onoda's/Sohoku's story. Also, what is up with the whole dangling tongue thing, like Shinkai, Machimiya, and Midousuji all do it...
Dec 2, 2014 7:29 PM

Apr 2014
I like the way this show creates and presents the antagonists. They're always so intense. I feel like Machimiya's character overlaps with Shinkai's though |: Not just the tongue thing, but the going crazy when cycling and looking like a demon. Except Machimiya is some dog or whatever.

But
Blitzkriag said:
Damn arakita is so likable.
straight up.
Dec 2, 2014 11:30 PM

Nov 2014
Barion-Zara said:

Why does every villain like person have to take his tongue out lol XD

Shinkai sticks his tongue out, yet he's not a villain xD

AnimeFan500 said:

Whatdaya mean? Which Hibari Kyoya's line?

Gsimp said:
That has to have been one of the lamest backstories in anime history. "He wouldn't share a bottle with me, now I vow my life to destroy him at the next Interhigh." Such a damn lame reason. As if Machimiya wasn't bad enough of a character with him clearly just being cheap, admittedly more manipulative, imitation of Midosouji, but such a lame reason? That's just so bad.

Yes it might be lame but it's quite realistic. Would you honestly say that you haven't hated someone for some lame reasons? Over something very small? Very stupid? Because you didn't get what you wanted? Because they are 'better' than you? Because you are jealous?

Machimiya's mad at Fukutomi not because of the water bottle, but because of the humiliation he received. They are OPPONENTS during a race. Machimiya gathered up a lot of courage in order to lower himself to ask his OPPONENT for HELP. He's throwing away his pride to commit this humiliated act. But he got rejected, after throwing away his pride and lowering himself.

Plus, the rejection is part of the reason why he lost the race that he promised his team that he will win. Machimiya hated Fukutomi for the humiliation he received, for losing his pride, for feeling degraded, for losing the race bcuz of such a ridiculous reason, for seeing Hakone win AGAIN, and not fulfilling the promise with his team, not for the water bottle (though it does have some relation).

Think of yourself in Machimiya's position. What would you do if that happened to you? Would you think "it's my fault that I lost, not because Fukutomi didn't give me his water bottle, it's because I'm not strong enough"? Or would you think "damn it! I lost to him! He won! If he had given me one water bottle then I might still have a chance! But without that I have no chance to win!" I'm sure that though you would admit it's your own fault that you lost, you might still have some feeling of anger and resentment towards Fukutomi because he's part of the reason that you lost. It's human nature to blame others before blaming oneself.

And especially that Machimiya is still a teenager. A hot-headed, rebellious teenager. You know how teenagers are rarely mature enough to blame themselves for losing, they would always hate their opponents if they lost? So to you it might be a lame reason, but to Machimiya, it's enough to hate someone. I'm not trying to excuse his actions, I'm just trying to explain his actions, trying to explain to you how he sees things.

Oh and by the way, I don't think Machimiya is an 'admittedly more manipulative, imitation of Midosouji.' They are not similar in any way. Machimiya's a kid with a grudge, while Midousuji... Well, you'll understand how they are different when Machimiya's part ends, hopefully ;)

Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Seriously give me some races similar to the start of the show or training camp.............

Don't worry ;) the real race will soon come (according to the manga). And besides, the main guys are only 1st years. There are 2 more years of Inter-High they have to go through (and training camp). So there will be more opportunities of the racing which you liked.

----

Did anyone notice that girl who was cheering for Machimiya? She had short brown hair and her eyes were covered by her hair. Her head was lowered, and she was muttering 'Machimiya.' I wonder who she is and how she's related to him? (snigger)

Oh...omake...it's what I looked forward the most to in every episodes...it always helps us understand the characters more xDD their daily life and such..

(just realized how terribly long it got after I posted it...)
Dec 3, 2014 2:48 AM

Nov 2010
I'm surprised all these people talking with their tongue hanging out are speaking clearly.
Dec 3, 2014 8:19 AM

Jun 2011
Machimiya is literally crying over spilled water.
Though he's basically right, Fukutomi's a dick
Dec 3, 2014 11:09 AM
Nov 2009
^Why should Fukutomi share his water in the middle of a race on a very hot day?
They all came there to win the race and if shit happens, they should get over it.
Dec 4, 2014 3:46 AM

Apr 2009
@ttcchen

Of course it's natural to be upset after losing at something you care about. But to me at least this is a question of how long a grudge can last in a work of fiction before it becomes massive in comparison to the cause? Sure, if Fukutomi had made fun of Machimiya, rubbed it in his face, then I could maybe see him seething and wanting revenge. But no, he declined politely, so I would have expected Machimiya to be pissed about it for a day or two, then move on. Don't these sports club teams have advisors or something that help the kids to deal with the psychological side of competing?

The thing that makes the whole grudge thing even sadder is that this guy is barely a blip in Fukutomi's radar. I like the rivalries in sports anime when they're between individuals that acknowledge each other on equal footing, but this is certainly not one of those moments. By using other players so brazenly to their advantage, Hiroshima is giving the other teams the moral high ground, so even if they won, the others can brush off their loss by telling a story of that one team who "cheated". In a sports anime that story would totally work.

Anyway, waiting for this particular versus moment to end so we can get to the part that was possibly spoiled to me.
Dec 4, 2014 9:54 AM

Dec 2011
That smug bastard Machimiya didn't look so happy now that theyve been caught up by Arakita, Manami and Onoda.

They need to get a 20 m lead to win and it seems that Machimiya's personality has changed a lot with him actually being one of their 3 sprinters.

Dat weird dancing style doe...

A promise with Midousuji eh...

LOL, both bottles were cracked... talk about bad luck...

Well... I guess I can say that I understand why Machimiya behaves the way he does, but it's still not enough to forgive him.

Nice episode overall.

Dem bottles doe XD...
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Dec 4, 2014 11:53 AM

Oct 2011
@ttcchen
AnimeFan500 said:

Whatdaya mean? Which Hibari Kyoya's line?

kamikorosu
"I'll bite you to death"
Dec 4, 2014 8:26 PM

Jul 2010
Yeah that's smart, make bottles of steel so that your weight during the race is even higher rotfl.

Michimiya still a dick, also I don't think Midousuji really agreed to that cooperation.
Dec 5, 2014 1:55 PM

Nov 2013
Why do the villainous characters all stick their tongues out like Orochimaru :D
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Dec 12, 2014 1:19 AM

Jul 2012
currycurry said:

Don't want to share a water bottle? ETERNAL REVENGE. xD

It's sometimes funny how over-exagerated this show is haha.

The last three omakes have been hilarious. That OST that played when he revealed the water bottle LOL
Dec 29, 2014 2:33 PM

May 2013
Nice
Feb 10, 2015 8:03 AM
Jun 2012
Eh, this is dumb.
Feb 15, 2015 10:44 PM

Apr 2012
Pretty sure Midousuji's gonna fuck Machimiya over

I understand why Fukutomi didn't give him the water bottle but damn...Machimiya's cry face is so ugly it makes me upset for him
on my way to steal yo girl
Apr 4, 2015 9:27 AM

Jun 2011
Man, wasn't that forced? That doesn't explain his dickish attitude toward other people, particularly girls.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
Apr 20, 2016 2:36 PM
Dec 2014
Dumb revenge story, dumb tongue out all the time character
Aug 30, 2016 6:58 PM

Jun 2009
god this anime is so fucking drawn out.
Sep 22, 2016 9:18 AM

Sep 2013
Cheap knockoff of Shinkai with his demon tongue :(
That waterbottle XD never use plastic or you'll end up disappointed and filled with revenge :)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2014

64 by Hoshiosora »»
Apr 30, 5:00 PM

Poll: » Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2015

102 by Krravena12544 »»
Oct 24, 2023 1:12 AM

Poll: » Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 2, 2015

54 by Dripz2012 »»
Feb 1, 2023 6:29 PM

Poll: » Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Feb 23, 2015

55 by Dripz2012 »»
Feb 1, 2023 6:09 PM

Poll: » Yowamushi Pedal: Grande Road Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2014

61 by Dripz2012 »»
Jan 27, 2023 7:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.