Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 23, 2014 8:09 AM

Oct 2013
Damn, this episode was much better than the past. The pacing didn't feel rushed at all here and the actual war seems were far far better executed than previously done in the past.
Nov 23, 2014 8:39 AM

May 2013
lucidbrandon said:
boooooooring. This anime is just a bunch of numbers and bad narration with poorly done representation pieces.

Was that random dark skin girl voiced by amamiya sora?

Hmm, I've been thinking / wondering the same thing about the show. Half of the time they are just spitting out numbers and showing pieces moving around on a map. However, I like that they focus more on strategy than the main characters (since if they did it would just become some magical power slug fest.) The strategies are fairly rudimentary and well known, but I don't thinks that's necessarily a bad thing. I would, however, like to see the actual scenarios play out rather than watching a few chess pieces knocking against each other on a map. I have to hand it to the producers though, even though what I watched was 50% clashes between chess pieces they still managed to entertain me.

I'm wondering now whether this show will get another season. I'd be okay with watching a second season, however something tells me they will just end it this season and let the first season just serve as a advertising effort. It seems like they have plenty of material left to animate (I mean.. I haven't read the novel but I think it is pretty safe to assume they haven't gone through 9 volumes of content), but the BD still has to sell for them to consider a second season. Just a waiting game from here on out. I just hope that we get some resolution at the end of this season.
Nov 23, 2014 10:35 AM

Sep 2013
Seriously? they killed Roland? he comes back with necromancy, Calling It!!! XD
Nov 23, 2014 12:12 PM

Dec 2013
Decent episode. I liked Tigre leading the army.
TheNaturalPerm said:

Also the shiny ping spots on the papaya boobed females are actually visible THROUGH their clothing. at least on their breasts.

Lmoa. I also haven't noticed it until this ep.
Nov 23, 2014 12:58 PM

Jun 2014
That was an awesome display of tactics. I love this show and its display of battle field maneuvers.
I wonder how this next battle will go now that theres a Warmaiden and her army joining the fight?
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Nov 23, 2014 3:20 PM

Nov 2013
My thoughts:
Well....everything seemed to go downhill fast for our characters, they are just basically holding on for dear life at this point. I'm surprised it got this intense so quick. Almost actually touched on the realistic and horrifying results of war, not quite well enough though.

So long and thanks for all the fish, Roland. You should not have said "I'll be back soon." to the graves of your men. Invisible and very ironic death flag went flying up just then.

The insult to the audience of blacking out the Vanadis girl's face when Eleonora talked about her was face-palm worthy. They showed her weapons, which we have seen (along with the character herself) in the OP for 7 or 8 episodes now...We know who it is. This is why OP's should be hand-tuned to each episode/arc. That way we don't get innate spoilers like we do with so many anime these days. What a stupid animator/director who thought that was a good idea.

Who was the blond girl in the hood who Tigre saved early on.. Was she just a sad orphan plot device or will she have relevance later? ...I don't see her in character lists...

Also, that guy that chewed out the Bruneze or whatever after Tigre and his men saved him should have known his place. "Yeah jeez thanks, why didn't you save us earlier when the enemy was primed for you to attack and they outnumbered you 10 to 1?" What a cowardly a-hole. Sad that the girl lost her dad though...legitimately made me shed a quick tear.

Tigre at the end when he sees Lumdmila: "Yay, my blue-haired side-waifuu is here!"

IMO, definitely the best episode so far, by far. I think they tried to do a little too much as far as number of battles for one episode, and the CGI and lack of animation for most of the battles was irritating. Well, at least they now know that to animate arrows you need to make them spin. Physics[Trademark]. The army movement on the maps and the blocks of definitions and explanations before and after previews are obviously heavily influenced by AoT.

Stark700 said:
Welp that escalated. A lot of casualties this episode..

Truth.

Tohka_Yatogami said:
RIP Roland.

RIP Roland indeed...
llcruz said:
NOT THE BEES!

OH, YES, THE BEES ARE HERE NICK CAGE!!

belatkuro said:
BEES

RIP Roland. We hardly knew you but you died in the most manly fashion.

Such manliness....reminds me of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
Nov 23, 2014 6:07 PM

Apr 2010
So they could not take out Roland with fighting so instead they trapped and poisoned him and from the looks of it, it wasn't a popular move.
What Tigre did on the other hand should have been a popular move and should contribute to his reputation a bit.
It should also give his enemies the impression that he is fearless considering he was outnumbered 10 to 1.

Seems Ludmila accepted another job offer from Thenadir and this time one that's more suited for her saving people from slavery by holding an enemy advance.
And with that she can also pay of her debt to Tigre.
Nov 24, 2014 3:07 PM

Jan 2011
The bee trap was rather ingenious - Roland is known for his fighting skill, and he certainly wouldn't have stood down. Maybe for known, but the moment he becomes aware that they want him dead, he would have fought. So why both gamble on the outcome of a fight aswell as waste men?

I wonder how long that bee trap has been there, though. And why he didn't try to use his cape to protect himself. He was mostly clad in armor or several layers of sturdy cloth (certainly not silk, more thick wool or even leather) anyways, his cloak would be enough to wrap it around his head even when fold in half etc. If it didn't work out, it would hardly be the most manly death, but there was a rather good chance..

I also don't follow the counts of enemy soldiers. They have 20.000 in total at the start. 3000 infantry are sent first. Makes 17.000. They later diverted another 3.000, so we arrive at 14.000. 1.000-2.000 died in between to varish ambushes, so we should be at 12.000. Yet they made it something like 19k first, then 18k, and ultimately, 15k left. But even that is only when only counting dead, not wounded.

Tigre had 1.700, 300 stayed behind. 200 died, several hundred where injured - but the enemy most have hundreds to thousands of injured too, unless they wiped out the whole enemy force each time.

So by extrapolating, the enemy should have something like 10.000 still able to fight..

He still would need Ludmillas army and her personal effort, so it doesn't matter in the end, but i wonder how they came up with those numbers..
Nov 24, 2014 7:51 PM
Jun 2010
that was great
Nov 25, 2014 6:47 AM

Sep 2011
Wow, rip roland~ he single handed deflected magic beam last episode but something about bees man..manly tears.
Nov 25, 2014 9:42 AM

Mar 2014
RIP Roland

The battle escalates kinda fast but I don't feel like they missed anything(unless maybe I read the LN)

Nov 25, 2014 2:05 PM

Feb 2013
RIP Roland fuck man that escalated quickly.
Titta needs to die, i mean they kill others but not her, why?!?
what is an alsin anyway like meters?
Jesus can walk on water. Cucumbers are 96% water. I can walk on cucumbers. I'm 96% Jesus.
Nov 25, 2014 7:47 PM

Oct 2013
Yeah Roland died a bada**. RIP.

And Lourie is here to reinforce.
Nov 26, 2014 2:31 AM

Apr 2013
RIP Roland badass to the end
Nov 26, 2014 8:17 AM

Nov 2011
Honestly I expected a lot less, but I have seen a marked improvement in the hardness of the narrative and in the evolution of the conflict, not bad even designs.
I wonder if further enhances this show, boobs apart! LOL
Roland was fucking great even in death, remains in peace hero!
I pose a question: Will they close the circle at the end of the TV series?
Nov 26, 2014 9:03 AM
Jul 2018
Those tactics...eww.
And I always laugh at the ad break explanations.
Nov 26, 2014 5:41 PM

Mar 2010
Man... Noooo why Roland....
Nov 26, 2014 8:50 PM

Aug 2013
I'm sure the pacing compared to the LN is terrible, but despite how rushed it seems, I'm still really enjoying they story and watching how the battles unfold.

Even with the fanservice (which I'm never against) I like the whole war concept and pretty much everything about what's happening. And Medieval war style stuff has never been my thing either.

Look like the blonde loli he saved is the one war maiden from the OP who has hearts in her eyes and is a stone cold killer. Hope we get to see her in action.

Ice queen showed up at the end, those guys are gonna get rocked now.

Would like to see Tigre using his power more. He has it and yet only used it twice. Those battles would be a lot more one sided had he actually used that power and decimated everyone.

No matter how this ends I'd really like to see a sequel. Hopefully it sells well enough. I want to see a lot more of all the war maidens, which I know we wont get enough of with the time left.

**also was really hoping that when Roland was in that room, he was going to survive and be like "guess those lions are fucking bitches" and strut out like a boss...that didn't happen...
Nov 26, 2014 10:32 PM

Jul 2013
turtleinshell said:
lucidbrandon said:
boooooooring. This anime is just a bunch of numbers and bad narration with poorly done representation pieces.

Was that random dark skin girl voiced by amamiya sora?

Hmm, I've been thinking / wondering the same thing about the show. Half of the time they are just spitting out numbers and showing pieces moving around on a map. However, I like that they focus more on strategy than the main characters (since if they did it would just become some magical power slug fest.) The strategies are fairly rudimentary and well known, but I don't thinks that's necessarily a bad thing. I would, however, like to see the actual scenarios play out rather than watching a few chess pieces knocking against each other on a map. I have to hand it to the producers though, even though what I watched was 50% clashes between chess pieces they still managed to entertain me.

It's a matter of perspective. I don't think showing every minor skirmishes would make this any better than it is right now. They showed Tigre taking out a portion of the enemy's troops with ingenious trap, I don't think showing the same thing thereafter would make that much difference. We must also consider budget and time constraint as we're talking about thousands or even tens of thousands soldiers. I don't think they'd be able to animate more than 1 or 2 full scenes of soldiers slugging each other every episode and they can't always revert to CG.

Personally I find it refreshing that they focus more on strategy and tried to explain it as simple as possible instead of showing some random soldiers killing another random soldiers and then suddenly proclaiming "20000 soldiers had been whittled to 180000 soldiers" or something like that.
Nov 26, 2014 11:49 PM

Jul 2009
It was a great episode, but damn their leaving out a lot of details.

And wtf, Roland was badass in the last episode and already he got killed off?

He should have listened to Tigre in the first place. At least Tigre has Durandal, yet he never used this in this critical moment!?! And when did his bow slowly turned into black?

Lol that Muozinel commander never thought Tigre could shoot an arrow in the middle of 300 people.

Morale of this episode? Never underestimate your opponent :P

And who was the blond girl who Tigre saved? For some reason she knows him.

Man the fights are awesome, but they really a longer episode count.

Can't wait for the next episode though!
Nov 27, 2014 4:56 AM

Dec 2013
For those who want to be spoiled about the blonde that Tigre saved.. I just seriously hope that we get to see the rest of her story.

SandyBoi said:
Nrutal death for Roland. He died standing.
Tigre saves

HEADSHOT from over 300 metres away.
Ludmila steps in to help Tigre :D

The pacing is seriously crap, but I'm glad that they didn't do an Akame ga Kill and totally mess up the pacing to ensure there is no season 2. The way things stand, this show could seriously have a second and (incoming LN content permitting) maybe even a third season.

RIP to Roland, that dude was a great bro, fair and just. Completely justifies his label as the Knight of Knights.
Tigre himself is no pushover and that shot was awesome!

I can't wait to see the outcome of the battle, now that Ludmila has arrived. I can't wait to see Ellen's reaction when she finds out about that! XD
HESTIAAPPROVES
Nov 28, 2014 2:06 AM

Aug 2012
No, not the bees! Not the bees!

Roland has to die. With his personality he will eventually joined with Tigre for sure, and together they will be invincible. So some forces who is not happy with this will have to get rid of him.
Nov 28, 2014 9:38 AM

Jul 2010
belatkuro said:
BEES

RIP Roland. We hardly knew you but you died in the most manly fashion.

Ouch watta horrible way for the guy to die.
yeo
Nov 28, 2014 1:17 PM

Aug 2013
Ludmila saving the day. It's funny how Tigre had some good plans in the episode, yet, at the end, he just do somekind of suicidal sacrifice.

Anyway, the fake army was a clever trick. It can demoralize the enemy, but it is also very practical against archers as you can guess. It was also somehow satisfying to see that guy getting headshot when casually insulting the enemy.

Roland death had me laughing my ass off. I mean, that proud knight getting killed by... bees. Mother. Fucking. Bees. They could have executed him or assassinated him, but no, they had the time to get a thousand bees to kill him. Nobles sure have time to kill, uh? Also, there had to be that fucking kid at the end, to add an emotional touch. That was so cheesy, but yeah, it was cute.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Nov 29, 2014 6:06 PM

Aug 2013
That bee shit reminded me of Nic Cage in the Wicker Man.
Nov 29, 2014 9:15 PM

Feb 2013
Awe, Elen was hardly even in this episode.

No surprise Tigre sniped the enemy commander from a mile away.
Nov 30, 2014 12:37 PM

Mar 2009
I laughed so hard at the part with the bees. Hilarious stuff. What a lame way for Roland to die.
Nov 30, 2014 11:46 PM

Jul 2008
Tigre did well against the slave army, and now the Ice Queen came to save him, benefits of a harem I guess.

And Roland's naivety was his downfall.
Dec 1, 2014 8:19 PM

May 2013
MoeGod said:
turtleinshell said:

It's a matter of perspective. I don't think showing every minor skirmishes would make this any better than it is right now. They showed Tigre taking out a portion of the enemy's troops with ingenious trap, I don't think showing the same thing thereafter would make that much difference. We must also consider budget and time constraint as we're talking about thousands or even tens of thousands soldiers. I don't think they'd be able to animate more than 1 or 2 full scenes of soldiers slugging each other every episode and they can't always revert to CG.

Personally I find it refreshing that they focus more on strategy and tried to explain it as simple as possible instead of showing some random soldiers killing another random soldiers and then suddenly proclaiming "20000 soldiers had been whittled to 180000 soldiers" or something like that.

Well yeah, the focus on strategy is great. It is probably one of the better parts of the show. Also, I agree that it is unreasonable to think they could animate every single skirmish. I'm just saying that they could show the skirmishes when they come up with a strategy that would actually be interesting to witness (i.e. whittling down their ranks with hit and run type confrontations.) I'm also aware of budget and time constraints, I'm just noting that given resources and time I'd like to see these sorts of things in the show. In any case, the strategy has been more interesting than any of the actual fighting imo. I hope they stick to their guns on this and continue with it to the end ;).
Dec 5, 2014 8:04 PM

Jun 2008
Tigre may have a super bow and high skill but still it wouldn't be enough without Ludmila coming. So in the end his biggest power, is his harem power.
Dec 6, 2014 12:50 AM

Nov 2012
Lim's armor always makes me think of Runescape...
Dec 7, 2014 10:33 AM

Oct 2014
I wanted to see how they developed Ronald's character.... but the bees doe ;;
Dec 9, 2014 4:49 AM

May 2010
Roland is the 2nd Bulat... More or less. His death reminded me of Bulat's

That was quite intense. Aaand Ludmila to save the day!
Dec 25, 2014 2:30 PM

Dec 2014
Roland's abrupt execution from a vile trap by Ganelon was atrocious. Ganelon seems to be really trying Thenardier's patience.

Anyway, I wish Roland could take more part in the story. Antagonists with honorable traits always make any show interesting.
NozdrefDec 25, 2014 2:52 PM

“There are two kinds of arrogance. One where you are unequal to the task and one where your dreams are too big. The former is commonplace stupidity... but the latter is a rare species that is difficult to find.”

Dec 27, 2014 1:06 AM

Oct 2013
Roland was a real one.

Put this series on hold for awhile so I could marathon it right before the finale and I already forgot who some of them political leaders are ffs.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Jan 2, 2015 10:13 AM

Dec 2008
What an awful way to die!

Sent with Mal Updater
Jan 15, 2015 11:48 AM

Sep 2012
Good episode.
Jan 23, 2015 1:54 PM

May 2012
Dat kill! Pretty nice shot, let's see what's next!
Jan 29, 2015 3:13 AM
May 2012
Holy shit!! Poor Ronald :O
Ludmila to the rescue :3
Mar 2, 2015 12:18 PM

May 2014
The scene when the little girl thanked Tigre for revenging her father's death was so ... Q_Q
Jun 30, 2015 1:38 PM

Jan 2011
Roland's death shows what happens when you let honour and pride overwhelm your common sense. The rest of the episode showed a textbook case of how a small mobile force deals with a slower more numerous opponent. Split them up, whittle them down, and carry out a series of disruptive small attacks to lure them into ambushes where the small force will have a temporary troop advantage. Looking forward to the next episode and the return of the war maidens.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Oct 12, 2015 8:16 AM

Jul 2012
rodac said:
Roland's death shows what happens when you let honour and pride overwhelm your common sense. The rest of the episode showed a textbook case of how a small mobile force deals with a slower more numerous opponent. Split them up, whittle them down, and carry out a series of disruptive small attacks to lure them into ambushes where the small force will have a temporary troop advantage. Looking forward to the next episode and the return of the war maidens.

While that is the basic tactic that should be applied in such a scenario, what happened in this episode was complete and utter bullshit. Killing a quarter of 20 thousand men and routing the rest with your 1700 men, and still have more than half of your fighting force intact? Yeah, I can tell you that's not what happens when your tactic is as rudimentary as "lure a few thousand to us at a time and charge them head-on." Not to mention they just had to make the enemy commander a complete idiot. Why care about 200 enemies when you have 20,000? Just let your archers shoot at them until they die/go away.

I usually don't complain about this stuff since it's fiction after all, but this is just way too dumb.
"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:34
Dec 5, 2015 10:10 PM

Jul 2013
Roland really is an idiot.. leaving his weapon like that despite knowing full well that he's likely to be assassinated. What a waste.. he could've been a useful ally.

so Tigre's got 1,500 soldiers and the enemy's got 40 freaking thousand. I hope that blue haired warmaiden brought a lot of soldiers lol
Apr 1, 2016 4:01 PM

Jul 2013
These special tactics of Tigre are genius. He managed to defeat so many enemies with such few troops.

Ele is helping her friend (curious who it is).

Poor Roland, that's a really shameful death for a knight like him.

Lourie appeared at the end, that will be exciting.

Apr 14, 2016 3:29 AM

Mar 2015
I am masochist so Im fine with boring show.

Killed by bees. Thats painful as hell but Roland managed to kill all bee.

Its weird that when Tigre fired an arrow to supreme commander, it went straight instead of arch. Thats unrealistic yo~.

2.7/5
Apr 26, 2018 2:12 PM

Apr 2013
Wow Roland actually died from that? What a pathetic way to die, ran into the trap like a moron.
The fights are pretty boring since most of it happens in the background shown by chess pieces and the story is hella rushed. THey really could've handled this show much better.
Feb 5, 2019 1:52 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Pity that dude died, I actually wanted to see more of him...
The ending left me wanting to see the next episode, since I dig that short haired girl alot, she finally appears again!
Sep 17, 2019 9:56 PM

Apr 2015
Roland should keep his sword and destroy the room and all bees in one swing, because Tigre doesn't even use it at all lol
Feb 23, 2022 5:08 PM

Nov 2010
Roland dead? damn, I didn't expect that. I was expecting him to become their strong ally. Also, as expected, the dukes are plotting against each other, it's so medieval. I wonder who will prevail. Interesting turn of events so far.

Ludmila is a sight for sore eyes! she's so cute!
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Madan no Ou to Vanadis Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2014

181 by Talamare »»
Mar 28, 11:22 PM

Poll: » Madan no Ou to Vanadis Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2014

141 by Nikoslovescoffee »»
Oct 7, 2023 2:01 PM

Poll: » Madan no Ou to Vanadis Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2014

277 by Apratim »»
Jul 11, 2023 12:49 AM

Poll: » Madan no Ou to Vanadis Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2014

81 by Overcast93 »»
Dec 29, 2022 7:52 AM

Poll: » Madan no Ou to Vanadis Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 15, 2014

75 by 2life »»
Sep 10, 2022 3:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.