Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jul 25, 2016 8:08 PM
Dec 2014
The bad thing is that the autjor developed their relationship sooo much that it feels stupid now...
Like what is the reason for the confession scene (when she messed up and said tsuki instead of suki) it doesn't mean anything now, I think it was better without it
Jul 26, 2016 1:46 AM
Apr 2015
I Skip the manga and read the ending.Did they married or just graduated ?
Jul 27, 2016 4:28 AM

Oct 2015
hpsthemaskedman said:

They only graduated , it's an open ending. Nobody said anything about x loving x
Jul 27, 2016 8:29 AM
Jul 2018
hpsthemaskedman said:
dude just read it lol

Also I was left very unsatisfied the ending didnt di enough but overall incredible incredible piece of work...Probably the best manga I have ever read.
Jul 29, 2016 3:29 AM

Jul 2012
I haven't marathoned anything in a while, but I finished this in 3 nights :)

I can understand the why the mangaka decided to end the manga with a more open-ended ending, especially regarding the romance, but I'd be lying if I said I was satisfied without any romance 😅

I was worried with this series was announced to be made into a movie and not a TV series, but I can see a movie working out now. And maybe even better than a TV series would have.
I hear the director is really good, and being handled by such a strong studio in Kyoto Animation, I'm super excited to see the end result.

This was such a unique series when it came to character personalities, character interactions, and how the story played out. It was a pleasure to be able to read such an amazing series!
Aug 5, 2016 4:09 AM
Aug 2015
Seriously? That was it? wtf
Aug 18, 2016 1:08 AM
Jan 2015
Overall the lack of romance with (Shouya and Shouyko) and how it didn't show Shouya reunited with his old "two friends" or at least talk to them or the open ending? I liked the series a lot! I like the fact how someone can change so much through the mistakes they make in the past and how important some things can be in your life. The message it sends out is incredible!
Aug 19, 2016 2:08 AM

Nov 2014
Ok, so
dafuq was that?
I feel like i just got trolled by the author.
Sep 8, 2016 1:53 AM
Apr 2016
Good Game, Well Played
Sep 12, 2016 9:07 AM

Aug 2012
saw the pv for the movie earlier today. got interested. read the manga. got hooked. finished it in one day. bad move. can't sleep. feels empty @_@

it was a good read and i'm glad i learned about this old manga. i didn't mind the lack of development for the romance subplot and i get that the message this manga is trying to send but that ending felt that it just got cut abruptly... did this series got cancelled while it was on-going?

anyway, i'll look forward to its movie when it comes out. i hope they make some artistic changes to that ending though. now i need to read/watch something else so i can sleep -_-

someone else always have what you want, but it usually means nothing to them...
Sep 16, 2016 4:34 PM
Jul 2018
I'm Rick Harrison, and this is my pawn shop. I work here with my old man and my son, Big Hoss. Everything in here has a story and a price. One thing I've learned after 21 years - you never know what is gonna come through that door.

Basically
Sep 16, 2016 11:48 PM

Mar 2016
I like how the manga is well built but that ending is just disappointing and irritating imo. Even if the ending is quite cliche or predictable I'll rather stick with it rather than this irritating ending.

Overall I'm quite disappointed
Sep 17, 2016 3:58 AM
Nov 2015
So Ya-sho didn't confess to Sho-chan :(
She's a deaf and she confessed. He can speak and hear and didin't, he sure has a worthless mouth :(
But a good story overall. 8/10
Sep 19, 2016 8:11 PM
Jul 2016
The starting of the anime was really good and the middle part was as well. But I absolutely hated the ending. Seriously I would of rated it 8.5 but the ending bumped it down to like a 6. I hate when authors use an open ending, it just comes off as lazy writing and left me very disappointed. The people saying this manga wasn't a romance is just a terrible argument. Why would they even set up two characters and not finish it? It doesn't make any sense to me. Do you just enjoy unsatisfying endings?
Oct 15, 2016 8:49 AM

Dec 2015
Guys wait but, I'm confused about something... The woman who was getting her hair cut by Shoya's mom at the beginning, is that Shoko's mom? But then, near the end, there's that kid who bumps into Shoya and the mom also looks like Shoko's mom? What ._.
Now you might think that it's only troublesome, but it might connect you with something unexpectedly good. -Zen Wistaria
Oct 15, 2016 10:13 AM

Dec 2015
Carto738 said:
flyingsquirrels said:

agree with you guys. I liked this manga even if there wasn't any romance in it. By the way, am I the only one who's creeped out by Pedro? The part where he was like "You forgot your tie" o_o

I for one am not mad at there being no kiss, but I am mad at the lack of well, anything. The ending was such a huge god damn cliffhanger. I mean, the author had so much content to make a quality ending with. We didn't even get to see the people in the room's faces when they walked in holding hands! I mean, fuck dude. What happened to them later on? Did they take over his mothers business or something?

Really hope the movie creates an ending.

I agree too, even though I was hoping for a kiss ('cause I'm a sucker for romances) but I understand that this wasn't about the romance, so yeah, the lack of a kiss isn't a good reason to give a bad rating. My issue is with the fact that they didn't really do anything with Shoko's confession? Like, I wish they at least made Shoya realize that he likes Shoko or realize what Shoko was trying to say when she confessed. But they didn't do anything with the confession, which makes me wonder why it was there at all.
Now you might think that it's only troublesome, but it might connect you with something unexpectedly good. -Zen Wistaria
Oct 20, 2016 8:36 PM
Oct 2016
Kinda fell apart when Shouya burst out to everyone on the bridge.
Besides Sahara and the fatty, the rest deserved to be lashed out at. Mashiba had no right to punish Shouya and he's already suffered more than this fair share.

But from that point on, Shouya, Shouko and Yuzuru should've just kept to themselves and forget about the rest. Build their bonds and slowly accept back the fatty and Sahara. If Shouko managed to open up Shouya, she probably wouldn't blame herself too much and contemplate suicide.

Open-ended ending isn't too great. But this manga has so many parallels to Ichigo 100%. The open-ended ending, the film making, multiple love interest, etc

Just wish there could be 1 or 2 more chapters just to properly conclude everything.

Still a 9/10 manga overall :)
Nov 5, 2016 8:06 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
9/10. The movie has a lot of 10/10 ratings. Makes me wonder if they did more for the 10.

Nov 9, 2016 9:26 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
What the hell is going on?? So that brazilian guy pedro, the dad of shouya's nephew (Maria) came back after leaving them, and now with another women he inpregnated?
How is it common sense to just say hi, you can came back and live with us again, you and your new wife, we acept you again!
Someone explain to me how is that supposed to work!!!

Overall Koe no Katachi was a great read, there were some amazing scenes, but sadly not too many, the manga was kinda short, its release was 1 year span, IF the whole manga was like those scenes that blowed me away, I would have rated it higher. The drama has its highs and lows.
Now lets talk about this conclusion, I m disappointed right now, first I expected the manga would be a romance, and it doesnt seem to be, which is a waste, since both Shouko and Shouya have feelings for each other, and in early chapters, Shouko admited she loved him (tried to confess too), and Shouya's actions easily show it clearly too!
A kiss never happened, I think it is something I always expect stories to have to solid the relationships, BUT HERE, there is NOT even a CONFESSION!
And where the manga ends, damm god! Dont do this to me okay! I was thinking there would still be more pages left to read, but when I saw that "Thank you for reading, A Silent Voice End", immediatly I was like, "what the hell, is that it? are you guys joking?!"
That is the main problem I have with the conclusion.
This manga could have been one of the best reads in my life, the approuch on deft people was so fresh and interesting, it just had to keep the quality of some arcs/scenes, or at least have a more expansive conclusion with romance tying it off, but it failed at those... I still enjoyed reading it alot, and the ending isnt really a sinker that makes me hate it, but I was putting my hopes in a conclusion that would tie everything up nicely, and such never happens.

I m hoping the anime will bring something more to the ending, worthise a great manga, disappointing conclusion and some "just good arcs, instead of everything being top quality". Despite that, one of the better ones IMO.

8.8 = 9
PlaycoolNov 9, 2016 12:03 PM
Nov 27, 2016 2:06 AM

Jul 2013
I think this story will translate better as an anime tbh.
The manga was good, but I just think the movie will be better, and I'll be checking it out soon.
Dec 4, 2016 4:08 PM

Sep 2015
Rip this ending no confession or anything. So we have to imagine it..
Dec 7, 2016 12:10 PM
Dec 2016
Man, what an ending..
They should've just make the boy being a slave to the deaf girl until the rest of his life to paid for his past mistakes.. or something..
At least that way all will be clear that this is a story about redemption, and not a romantic one..
Dec 12, 2016 3:16 PM

Aug 2016
Wow didnt expect such an abrupt ending :(

I loved this manga for the first like 30-40 chapters then it just seemed like it started to rush things and forced drama then it ended pretty bad, i mean if they were gonna go with the route of ishida and nishimaya seperating they could have made it more dramatic... idk just remember that ishida was only staying alive because of nishimaya then to end up most likely never seeing her again and becoming hairdresser or whatever is just kind of lame... the drama was so gud up until like chapter 50... still because i loved like 3/4 of this manga i will give this a 9. hopefully the movie has a better ending D:
Jan 9, 2017 5:58 AM

Jan 2017
Can someone please! Someone please help me not hate this manga. I wanted to love it so much, but Shouko, her voice and her relationship with ishida is completely lost. I don't think people actually realize just how little they spend together compared to all the other side characters, this is so little focus on the most important part of the manga, Ishida and Shouko's friendship. Its never explained why Shouko forgives him, she forgives him immediately and their friendship doesn't grow. The only redeeming moment between them 2 after V3 is in the beginning of V7! Where he tells her "Help me live" the sad thing is though its completely underdeveloped and the ending, omg the damn ending doesn't make sense at all because despite what its made out to be, we never get to see the 2 actually live and enjoy life together. There are some moments which are perfect in this manga between the 2, but they are too few and completely overshadowed by filler and side characters in V6. V6 Should have completely focused on Shokou! I pray to god, the film focuses on the 2 characters more
Jan 21, 2017 3:33 AM

Sep 2008
All I can say is that I really enjoyed Koe no Katachi. Now I can't wait to watch the movie :3
Feb 12, 2017 1:57 PM

Jan 2012
I dislike the ending. So anticlimactic, and few things were resolved or completed. No progress on Shoya x Shoko, well tiny, tiny progress. I suppose he does in the end face his past. There's just so much to be desired, and not much was delivered in the ending. If there was a sequel then this ending wouldn't be a let down, it would still be weak, but at least there would be more to go off of and continue on to.

Overall though this series was amazing. I really enjoyed it, and got so much out of it. The 7 volumes just flew by like it was nothing, it felt so short, and I want more! More! more! Really though overall just amazing and I'm glad I read it, and bought it all. The biggest let down was the ending though as said.
Feb 22, 2017 6:24 PM

Feb 2017
I'm still hooked up on Nishimiya confessing her love to Ishida and never getting an answer...
Mar 3, 2017 3:09 AM

Nov 2016
never cried so much reading something before. wish there was a chapter after this kind of like an epilogue of all of them reuniting for a special occasion. and are ueno and sahara engaged now or is that just a friendly ring
Mar 9, 2017 10:07 AM

Jun 2015
Wait... did ishida graduate late? did I miss something or is it because of what happened to him? Help?
Mar 24, 2017 6:59 AM
Apr 2016
just finishing theanga and found this thread. dafuq was that? the ending got me like just been trolled by the author. no confessing, no kissing though this is a good series but ill just give it an 8 bcuz of the fuckin' ending :(
Mar 27, 2017 11:40 PM
Mar 2017
A beautiful series. Except like most people had mention the ending killed it. Romance between the 2 shou has always been there, but never really developed on. It's like watching a fish that close to a bait, touch it and then move away, touch it again only to swim away.
If the author had just end it properly even with a time skip everything would be perfect 10/10.

8.5/10
Apr 15, 2017 10:47 PM
Sep 2013
I only read this because I couldn't wait for the movie to come out for the mass public to see. So yes, I jumped the gun and read the manga. Good series,but anticlimactic ending. I get that the manga was about redemption and growing up, just wished it developed the romance more. I was hoping for a confession at the end since it was stringing me along all this time. But this ending does it too, everyone will end up going their different ways but somehow you get the feeling Nishimiya X Ishida ship will sail.
May 4, 2017 12:43 AM
Apr 2016
Is no one gonna talk about how Ueno low key announced that she "came out of the closet?" I suspected Sahara to be but did not expect Ueno lol
May 6, 2017 3:12 AM

Dec 2014
ahhh ....I guess it was implied that they are together.... but no one looked any different though
May 13, 2017 8:13 AM
May 2015
Anyone wants an epilogue/after story or something?
May 21, 2017 12:02 PM

Jan 2013
How manga this good could have ending this bad?
[url=https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Asdedix147&sclick=1]
May 23, 2017 12:38 AM
Apr 2016
*(Movie spoilers)* ... kind of

Well, shoot. I came here after watching the movie hoping to find some semblance of hope after that ending but it seems even the manga left readers with something to be desired as far as the romance.

I obviously haven't read the manga, so, was the scene near the end with Shouya saying "So that's what those were for" about the 3 cat/stick things in the manga? Or was it added to "help" those who didn't like how the confession played out? Or does it exist simply to pour more salt on our wounds regarding the confession?
May 23, 2017 7:57 AM

Jul 2015
Asdedix147 said:
How manga this good could have ending this bad?

Well, they got a bright but silent future. The author is a proponent of 'show; not tell.' While an open ending and lavk of confession will certainly leave many readers with a feeling of incompleteness, the manga wasn't a real romance story to begin with. It was more of a coming of age one. What would be more fitting to 'A Silent Voice' than a silent ending?

That being said, that surge in popularity of the manga means the movie has been a successful marketing campaign. KyoAni did a great job. I thoroughly enjoyed both the mnaga and the animated film. However, I still believe that neither deserves their ranking. There are much better works that just lacked the traction provided by marketing. So many amazing manga that will never even get an adaptation... Many of them will be plunged into obscurity, with only a few lucky enthusiasts being able to enjoy them.

On a side note, the author's current work, To You The Immortal, is superb. Her writing has reached new heights. It might even become her magnum opus. Check it out!
In2TheBluMay 23, 2017 8:07 AM
May 23, 2017 12:37 PM
May 2017
I loved the anime over all I just find they had so much potential to make it even greater to the point where it surpass your name on the top charts. I know it isn't a romance but if it was i think they could pushed for close to a 10 point rating.
May 23, 2017 10:50 PM

Jul 2015
I give this a 10. I thought it was a romance manga, but it turned out not to be one of those typical romances, but actually ended up being a different kind of romance in a way. From the beginning towards near the end, there were a lot of "feels" thrown in here and there. Never have I ever felt like 'crying' early on in a series. Me personally, open endings are not my thing. I would've much preferred the typical confession, or maybe a time skip to them living happily ever after in the future, or something, but I completely agree with what someone had recently stated, that what better way to end 'A Silent Voice' than a silent ending? Some of the characters were completely detestable, but I guess understandable to some degree. Nishimiya was the highlight of this manga (no surprise there). I loved it. It was great.

caught in the wonder
Jul 11, 2017 7:47 AM
Aug 2015
Ok I love romance anime and I have no issue with just a drama but the butt-hurt shipping side of me is saying why the fuck did it not end with a romance or even hint at it happening when they threw in a confession in there? I'm not some amazing reviewer just throwing a thought out there as an average anime watcher. It ending as a romance does not affect how much I enjoyed both the anime and the manga just makes me feel an void inside because in reality we all want to know what happens in the future for every character. Where is the after story for this? (Joke). Anyway if anyone just has any anime suggestion for ANY genre then give it to me because man anime just hasn't felt the same since i watched the best of the best when i first started. I want that feeling back as i got it from this show with the sensitive topics. (Also I feel like I know why they threw the confession in there but man does it hurt not to know if they get together)
- LoliKing
Aug 5, 2017 12:57 PM
Feb 2016
I feel like people are upset about the wrong things here. The lack of resolution to the romance subplot is not ideal, but it's okay--it's Good Will Hunting saying "I've got to go see about a girl". It's implied that they will end up together, and that's enough.

This manga had a MUCH huger problem. And that's this--the character arcs just don't work. The setup is good, but the resolution falls flat.

The climax of the story is when Ishada wakes up from his coma and finds Nishimaya on the bridge. He apologizes to her for bullying her and that's about it. That's LAME. In fact, the whole attempted suicide subplot was lame as heck. It's cheap melodrama instead of really confronting the characters' deep-seated issues.

Here's what I would have done instead.

Ishada needs to give Nishimaya a wakeup call. She's actually being incredibly arrogant. She blames herself for everything that goes wrong even when it's clearly not her fault. She needs to understand that denying her own feelings about it and choosing to blame herself is not just destroying her, it's hurting the people who care about her because she's never authentic to them and is constantly living a lie.

The climactic scene should've taken the form of Ishada pushing her to get angry at him until she finally explodes. He wants her to punish him because of his guilt, and she just won't do it, so he pushes and pushes and pushes, and finally she's had enough. She has YEARS of pent-up anger about his bullying, she's just never been willing to admit it to herself or anyone else. So she blows up in his face and starts tearing into him.

Finally, she confronts him about his selfishness for how he's been obsessing over her and trying to befriend her. She accuses him of only trying to assuage his own guilt and not really caring about her as a person. She doesn't totally mean it, but she's not 100% wrong, and she's hopping mad for once. It ends miserably with them both storming off.

Ishada now has to confront his own fear and win her back. He has to do this by admitting to himself that she's partially right, that he only tried to be friends with her in the first place to make himself feel better about what he did. And then he has to start realizing, oh yeah, I've actually really loved getting to know her because of X, Y, and Z and oh crap I really screwed this up didn't I?

So then he has to come crawling back to her on his knees and do the whole "abject" thing.

THAT'S how it should've gone down. Not the lame forced drama the mangaka put in instead.
OremLKAug 5, 2017 3:06 PM
Aug 27, 2017 10:05 AM

Aug 2014
I kinda felt like the last few chapters is kinda dragging.
The whole climax setup on Ishida waking up.
In the end it is an open ending since there's also Ueno at stakes although it's heavily implied that the Shouko will be the one that Shouya choose.
Well I'll take the last few picks of the elementaries gathering as a Door to wedding lmao.
Sep 29, 2017 8:47 AM

Nov 2016
This was an enjoyable read but I can only give it an 8/10. The movie improved on it in leaps and bounds imo.
Oct 20, 2017 5:36 PM
Apr 2016
Another great manga ends. I didn't mind that it was short, but it was pretty open ended. But how it ended was intentionally and good in a sense that it didn't make you have unnecessary questions in mind. The one thing I do know was that they were probably in some form of an intimate relationship.
Oct 28, 2017 12:02 PM

Mar 2016
Although I really liked this manga, the ending was disappointing!! I still rated it a 9/10 though, well done.
Nov 4, 2017 1:06 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Brilliant, simply brilliant! After watching the highly anticipated movie, some of the events felt disconnected and a little over the place so I tried out the manga and all I can say is that I wholeheartedly enjoyed this show. Albeit all of its minimal flaws, such as using a cliched incident to get back all the characters together and leaving the story in an incomplete and haphazard manner, I still believe this manga and its movie adaption are a must-watch golden gem.
It's a little sad that we didn't get any romantic implications or something of the sort even though it perfectly had the opportunity to, but the main focus of this show was drama anyway so no use barking at the wrong tree. Honestly though, it irks quite a bit. Being a former bully myself and regretting all of my actions back then, I can see I can correlate myself to Shouya quite a bit and so it was heartwarming to know he made up for it and got his happy ending. I would have loved to see Ueno's confession too and subsequent obvious rejection, just so that I know for certain that the two won't end up together. Goodness me, I really found Ueno to be the most annoying character but I've got to agree that her involvement and presence was crucial and important.
To be honest, though, I wish this will someday get more chapters(although I'm clearly aware that there'll most likely never be more) or at least a half-cour anime series while maintaining the same level of excellence from the movie. I'm fine without a half-cour anime series though, but as long as there's a chance for a little sequel(a confession scene, to be precise), I want it!

Overall, a 10/10 to this masterpiece manga and a little disappointing but glorious 4/5 to this last Chapter. I hope to see more of such manga/anime/one shot/light novels in the near future.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 27, 2018 4:21 AM

Jun 2016
Loads of negative opinions about the ending.. can't find myself agreeing. The best aspect of this series was that all of its characters were realistic, and deeply flawed. To me, it makes the most thematic sense to not make the ending a 'picture perfect' one, but rather something that resembles real life. Most RL high school romances are not happily-ever-afters, this is exactly what happens.

It's not like this is the end of the world though. If someone really wants the ship to sail, it's not that hard to imagine Nishimiya coming back to the same town in a few years to set up shop, or join in running Shouyo's shop.
Feb 19, 2018 2:25 AM
Sep 2009
10/10

as born deaf. it's fine no kidding..come on he still slow heal to fix the past into present to doing right with her. I was little sad for no kissing..or they did in private to no show to readers~ 8D only pissed me by her (ex husband and inlaws) don't want disability family member treated it like "curse".
Mar 4, 2018 10:05 AM

Jan 2018
On_the_Lam said:
Seriously? That was it? wtf

exactly my reaction. lol
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 10 Discussion

LucarioDude - Nov 5, 2013

35 by Saiunknown »»
Apr 30, 5:48 PM

» Difference?

Mangahater - Apr 19

9 by Zarutaku »»
Apr 20, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 61 Discussion

Ana - Nov 9, 2014

45 by KanYeeT »»
Apr 19, 7:41 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 57 Discussion

Maerow - Oct 11, 2014

40 by KanYeeT »»
Apr 19, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Chapter 50 Discussion

Ana - Aug 26, 2014

39 by KanYeeT »»
Apr 19, 3:35 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.