Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Nov 2, 2014 6:33 PM

Nov 2011
So, I usually try both the sub and dub of an anime's first episode before deciding on one or the other, but I'm preparing ahead of time to watch a few series. Since I'm not ready to start watching Spice and Wolf yet, I figured I'd poke around for some opinions.

If you're open to watching both dub and sub, I'm more interested in your reply than I would be if you watch subs/dubs exclusively. Exclusive sub/dub watchers aren't going to help much.

I usually prefer subs, so I'll list some shows where I did like the English dub for reference.

I liked the English dubs in:

Shingeki no Kyojin (dub was almost as good)
Steins;Gate (equally good)
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (almost as good)
Trigun (preferred the dub)

So, which would you recommend?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 2, 2014 6:36 PM

Sep 2011
The dub was very good from what i recall, spice and wolf is a very laid back series and the actors did a good job showcasing that, both performances are pretty low key and it works well, lines are delivered fluently and naturally and they are very fitting, holo has kind of an old timey speak to her dialogue and the actress did a good job of showing that, its sub is good too its pretty much equal on both fronts though if your native to english its better to go with that since you can focus more on the show's visuals than with subs.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 2, 2014 6:40 PM

Jan 2010
Having seen both, I'd recommend the dub. For one, it's a mid/late medieval to Renaissance European setting. Second, it's dialogue heavy, so I find it easier to follow along with an understandable spoken language rather than reading blocks of text at a time, although this is up to your own reading speed and memory. Third, there's a certain period sound to the voice acting that's hard to describe. It just really adds to the atmosphere.
Nov 2, 2014 6:49 PM

Mar 2014
I haven't watched spice and wild but I'm sure the dub will be better.
Shingeki no Kyojin's dub kind of sucked except for Levi, Erwin, Jean, Mikasa, Sasha, Annie, Reiner, Berthold and Connie.
Gurren Lagann had a better dub than sub
Steins; Gate had a better dub than sub
Nov 2, 2014 6:51 PM

May 2011
Own it all, experienced both, and I recommend SUB. Although, this is my personal preference and I don't mean to impose it on anyone. There are many great dubs, and Spice and Wolf is probably one of them, but I can't even imagine Lawrence and Holo differently. It is dialogue-heavy though as people have mentioned, so take that into account as well.
Kayaba-Nov 2, 2014 7:15 PM
Nov 2, 2014 7:18 PM

Feb 2013
The dub is really good for Spice and Wolf.
Nov 2, 2014 7:22 PM

Nov 2012
I'm biased toward dubs since I watch the majority of my content in them, but that being said, even compared to other dubs I think Spice and Wolf is particularly a step above the rest. It is one of J Michael Tatum's best roles he has portrayed, and same for Brina Palencia as Holo.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Nov 2, 2014 7:25 PM

Jul 2013
Yep, Spice and Wolf has one of the better dubs out there. Probably a result of it being set in Europe, but yeah.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Nov 2, 2014 7:39 PM

Feb 2013
S&W is a member of the Grand Pantheon of English dubs. Sure the Japanese version is good, but you don't find dubs this good everyday so it'd be a shame to miss it.

Nov 2011
I suppose I'll go with the dub since there's a lot of praise for it. Thanks for the quick and informative responses.

Edit: Thanks to you too, gedata and Starmac. More confirmation helps. :)

Edit 2: Well, some of you are making it tough again. My general sub preference is coming into conflict too. <.<;

This is all helpful, in any case.

Edit 3: Dub it is.
TripleSRankNov 2, 2014 10:38 PM

May 2013
Brina Palencia is probably my favorite English VA, and she plays the lead in Spice and Wolf. It's an excellent dub, and I honestly think that the shows strengths shine brighter when watching it in your native language -- assuming that's English, of course.

I'd go for the dub one this one.
Nov 2, 2014 7:46 PM

Jun 2010
It may be "one of the best dub out there" and I won't deny that the casting for it was carefully conducted. They also did hilarious adaptations to some jokes and managed to rewrite some dialogues to adapt for an English speed/vocabulary.
HOWEVER, I would ONLY recommend the dub for a rewatch and/or in case you buy the BD - like myself - and gets curious about it.
For the first time, you should definitely and undoubtedly go for the sub.
Not only for the character interaction but for all the honorifics, terms, slang, and characterization you'd miss with the dub. Holo's seiyuu (which I just forgot the name) created a whole new accent for the character, mixing an Edo period courtesan speech with a low/high pinch she thought by herself. It's a shame to watch it and not listen to it. From long sentences to the repeating "nushio" (what would be the formal for: anata/anta)
Nov 2, 2014 8:05 PM

Mar 2012
Yeah, watch it dubbed. Setting aside Jun Fukuyama sounds a bit too young to believably play Lawrence. J Michael Tatum is much more convincing and to be honest it's probably my favourite role of his yet.

Not to mention Brina Palencia absolutely kills it as Holo. Trust me when I say you don't want to miss out on that.
Nov 2, 2014 8:06 PM

May 2011
Both are solid, i watched it first subbed, and rewatched it dubbed
Nov 2, 2014 9:56 PM

Feb 2014
DA dub fo sho!!!
Nov 2, 2014 10:19 PM

Apr 2013
I'm almost always pro-subs but S&W's dub is awesome. Now while I'm reading the LNs, I can't imagine Holo sounding any other way.
Nov 2, 2014 10:21 PM
Jul 2014
Definitely the dub version.
Nov 2, 2014 10:39 PM

Apr 2014
Brina Palencia did an amazing job as Holo.
Nov 2, 2014 10:43 PM

Dec 2012
Sub. Holo's voice in dub is even worse than Lawerence's Japanese voice.
Nov 2, 2014 11:33 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
The Spice and Wolf dub is fantastic. One of the better dubs out there. I don't know how you could stand the Steins;Gate dub, but that is a question for a different time. I'd recommend watching in dub, especially if that is your native language.
Nov 2, 2014 11:47 PM

Oct 2012
Sub.
Nov 2, 2014 11:47 PM

Aug 2014
Sub by far. Dub Horo doesn't suck, but Sub by far.
A guide to living with that one guys ugly signature on MAL.

1. See that SullyNathan has posted last in thread, abort thread.
2. After clicking quick reply, close eyes and type out reply.
3. Try to scroll as far down as possible before replying if you prefer to keep your eyes open.
4. Report said signature for being offensive to the eyes.
5. See he is active in thread, scroll through thread while trying not to have eyes burned, sigh, click back & lose interest.
6. Move to another part of MAL forums where he does not visit.
MAL Jesus where are you?
Nov 2, 2014 11:57 PM

Jun 2014
Gonna check the Dub out, reading the LNs and rewatching at the same time,but since I only started yesterday I'm only on EP 2 so gonna start the dub from there.
Nov 3, 2014 12:04 AM

Aug 2014
I watched it dubbed and really liked it. It's the only anime in my list that I have seen dubbed.
Nov 3, 2014 12:27 AM

Jan 2014
Sub Holo is best Holo.
Nov 3, 2014 12:48 AM

Oct 2014
Definitely the dub. It is up there with the likes of Cowboy Bebop and the other few anime where the dub might actually be superior over the sub. So, I highly recommend the dub.

The choice is still yours, though. I also have to mention that the writer for Spice and Wolf apparently said the English version is the definitive version of the show. But I admit, I can't really prove it. Its what I heard.
Khaosman-OSANov 3, 2014 12:51 AM
Nov 3, 2014 12:50 AM

Sep 2012
Khaosman said:
Definitely the dub. It is up there with the likes of Cowboy Bebop and the other few anime where the dub might actually be superior over the sub. So, I highly recommend the dub.

The choice is still yours, though.

I watched both versions few days ago and Dub is better in this case.
Nov 3, 2014 3:29 AM

Jun 2008
Seriously when you have a character like Holo that her charm is all about her smart little tricks and way she talks and expresses herself that give the character meaning then you must be a big fool to watch it dub.
Without the voice acting that gives the character the personality it does Spice & Wolf just seems plant with no spice as all. And dub anime English actors are still miles away from even getting close to that shit.

Is like watching Bakemonogatari with a dub voice for Senjougahara. It just loses all meaning.
Nov 3, 2014 3:39 AM

Jun 2008
Khaosman said:

The choice is still yours, though. I also have to mention that the writer for Spice and Wolf apparently said the English version is the definitive version of the show. But I admit, I can't really prove it. Its what I heard.

I just can't facepalm enough. Are you people completely oblivious to acting?
Dub is still horrible. Cowboy Bebop is worst than the sub too. Whenever you hear voice that doesn't have a ridiculous tone you completely ignore the bad acting and unnatural limited emotion while they speak and yell on how is better than the original when is not even close.
Nov 3, 2014 3:51 AM

Aug 2014
Monad fucking gets it.
A guide to living with that one guys ugly signature on MAL.

1. See that SullyNathan has posted last in thread, abort thread.
2. After clicking quick reply, close eyes and type out reply.
3. Try to scroll as far down as possible before replying if you prefer to keep your eyes open.
4. Report said signature for being offensive to the eyes.
5. See he is active in thread, scroll through thread while trying not to have eyes burned, sigh, click back & lose interest.
6. Move to another part of MAL forums where he does not visit.
MAL Jesus where are you?
Nov 3, 2014 4:00 AM

Nov 2012
Monad said:
Khaosman said:

Dub is still horrible. Cowboy Bebop is worst than the sub too. Whenever you hear voice that doesn't have a ridiculous tone you completely ignore the bad acting and unnatural limited emotion while they speak and yell on how is better than the original when is not even close.

kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Nov 3, 2014 4:20 AM

Oct 2014
Monad said:

Well, excuse me for having my own opinion. I think Cowboy Bebop's dub is brilliant as it fits the characters, for me it does. As for Spice and Wolf, I think the voice-acting is very well done. Sure, maybe the effect of some parts of the original Japanese dialogue would be lost in translation but to say the dub is 'dreadful' is just stupid.

Besides, there is no law stopping anyone from watching anime in whichever language they feel the most comfortable with, even if we disagree with them. So, in the end, the OP should just watch it in the language he thinks would give him the most impact (or watch both if he could). You hating the dub has no consequence over his decision.....or mine.

That's the beauty of choice.
Nov 3, 2014 4:24 AM

Mar 2012
Monad said:
Khaosman said:

I was about to give you a piece of my mind but once I re-read it I realised that your sentence structure is clearly not that of someone who can fluently speak English let alone be able to tell good voice acting from bad in English.
SeibaaHomuNov 3, 2014 4:35 AM
Nov 3, 2014 4:26 AM

Dec 2013
Never watch an anime in dub it literally ruins everything
Nov 3, 2014 4:31 AM

Mar 2012
kingkash said:
It is 'literally' impossible for a dub to 'literally' ruin everything

Nov 3, 2014 4:39 AM

Jan 2014
SeibaaPriest said:
kingkash said:
It is 'literally' impossible for a dub to 'literally' ruin everything

That was good. Really good.
Nov 3, 2014 4:44 AM

Mar 2012
There's, like, four more of those videos if you type CM Punk Grammar Slam into Youtube
Nov 3, 2014 5:15 AM

Jun 2014
Tried watching the dub but as usual, I failed to endure it for longer than 30 seconds. Anime was made to be listened to in japanese.

Now i'll just rewatch sub again :D
Nov 3, 2014 6:18 AM

Oct 2014
So I guess, judging by the comments by some, the majority of the anime and mange community is pretty much described like this:

"If I say I like Naruto or One Piece, no one bats an eye because it's all part of the plan. But if I say I prefer watching a dub, then EVERYONE LOSES THEIR MINDS!!!"

Sorry, can't help myself and I love The Joker.
Nov 3, 2014 6:19 AM

Jun 2008
SeibaaPriest said:
Monad said:

I was about to give you a piece of my mind but once I re-read it I realised that your sentence structure is clearly not that of someone who can fluently speak English let alone be able to tell good voice acting from bad in English.

If you think you insulted me then you failed because English indeed isn't my main language.
That doesn't make me lees able to understand if a dub is good or not. That makes me more able because i don't have the bias of my view being blurred by the fact that one version is my language and is so convenient to watch.
I only see how they act and the emotion the put while expressing themselves and nothing more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYgSSlMt4Yc&t=15m0s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEV0E2EAePo&t=15m0s
See this two. Look how more monotone the English version is. Holo is less playful, she speaks the same all the time and the guy seems to not even able able to show much expression in his acting at all.
In an astonishing difference that only deaf bias to their language people can't hear.

You want to hear how good English dub is done then put one of those Hollywood 3D cartoon multimillion productions. Only there it seems they bother giving the dub the necessary attention. When they dub anime they just put two people and go with first recording without bothering much it seems.
MonadNov 3, 2014 6:25 AM
Nov 3, 2014 6:22 AM

Sep 2011
TripleSRank said:

If you're open to watching both dub and sub, I'm more interested in your reply than I would be if you watch subs/dubs exclusively. Exclusive sub/dub watchers aren't going to help much.

I dont get how people like monad manage to always miss this type of thing in every thread of this type

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Nov 3, 2014 6:31 AM

Jun 2008
JizzyHitler said:
TripleSRank said:

I dont get how people like monad manage to always miss this type of thing in every thread of this type

Huh? But i have seen dubs. And as my post above says am better to judge than you people coming from the US etc that are biased to their language or are not used to reading while watching and they dislike doing such, so they end up feeling friendlier to dubs no matter the acting quality.
Nov 3, 2014 6:32 AM

Sep 2011
Monad said:
JizzyHitler said:

Huh? But i have seen dubs. And as my post above says am better to judge than you people coming from the US etc that are biased to their language or are not used to reading while watching and they dislike doing such, so they end up feeling friendlier to dubs no matter the acting quality.
you bitch about dubs in literally every thread about them, youre the exact type of person the op specifically said wouldnt be helpful, youre even trying to say no one truly likes them and is simply deluding themselves into thinking its a welcome alternative.

Theres a difference between preferring the sub and condemning the other-side and anyone who DARES enjoy them
JizzyHitlerNov 3, 2014 6:38 AM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Nov 3, 2014 6:34 AM

Oct 2014
Monad said:

If you think you insulted me then you failed because English indeed isn't my main language.
That doesn't make me lees able to understand if a dub is good or not. That makes me more able because i don't have the bias of my view being blurred by the fact that one version is my language and is so convenient to watch.
I only see how they act and the emotion the put while expressing themselves and nothing more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYgSSlMt4Yc&t=15m0s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEV0E2EAePo&t=15m0s
See this two. Look how more monotone the English version is. Holo is less playful, she speaks the same all the time and the guy seems to not even able able to show much expression in his acting at all.
In an astonishing difference that only deaf bias to their language people can't hear.

Actually dude, the videos you linked to highlighted the problem. Japanese and English have a different way of enunciation.

I imagined myself speaking the English subs in the same tone as the characters were speaking in Japanese and already, it sounded very weird and silly. A normal English speaker would find that manner of speech unnatural. It may be natural in Japanese to enunciate in that manner but in the English-speaking world especially when it comes to acting, that's overreacting.

I dunno, if someone can explain better than me, please do. And I still say, its up to the viewer to decide whichever one he or she is more comfortable with.
Nov 3, 2014 6:38 AM

Mar 2012
Monad said:
Thanks for confirming. I hope you realise that your opinions are totally reflective of that.
Nov 3, 2014 6:40 AM

Jun 2008
SeibaaPriest said:
Monad said:
Thanks for confirming. I hope you realise that your opinions are totally reflective of that.

Yes, i have no bias. Indeed that is reflecting.
Nov 3, 2014 6:53 AM

Mar 2012
Monad said:
SeibaaPriest said:

Yes, i have no bias. Indeed that is reflecting.
Whether it's because you, like many anime fans, made an arbitrary decision early on that English dubs sucked and try to find reasons to hate even the most well produced of them or because of your upbringing making it difficult to have different expectations for the English version I can guarantee you that you have to have some amount of bias to form an opinion such as yours.
Nov 3, 2014 6:57 AM

Nov 2011
Spice & Wolf is one of the few cases where I preferred the dub over the sub, especially Holo and Kraft's voices. There's only one memorably bad voice from the second season, in my opinion, but the original Japanese voices weren't free from that either.
Nov 3, 2014 7:17 AM

May 2011
Koshimizu Ami brings out charm, and speech, that takes Holo from the Light Novel to a whole new level.

I feel the Dub loses half that charm, and the feeling of her being "ageless" or "divine". Don't get me wrong though, a half-charming Holo is still more charming than most female characters out there.
Kayaba-Nov 3, 2014 7:26 AM
Nov 3, 2014 8:08 AM

Nov 2009
Holo not voiced by Ami Koshimizu? Thats impossible!

<3 Ami Koshimizu
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Asako - Feb 19, 2008

154 by 0451 »»
May 14, 5:05 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Pokedude97 - Jun 2, 2008

134 by 0451 »»
May 13, 10:55 AM

» DVD-Only Episode and Episode Count

Vince - Mar 25, 2008

28 by ReaperCreeper »»
May 11, 6:22 AM

» Vintage over modernity

JustSomeone15 - Apr 10

33 by animejas »»
May 7, 1:20 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

cyruz - Feb 14, 2008

189 by 0451 »»
May 6, 10:46 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.