Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 18, 2020 1:24 PM
Jul 2018
while everyone talking how stupid some scenes are (especially Oscar despite her title being unable to withstand a grab), someone has to admit Andre's guts for breaking the 20 years silence and confess his deepest feelings. nobody finding that worth mentioning?
"a rose can only be a rose"

i am just shipping those to the extent of wanting to see Oscar helpless and weak, held in a man's arms- not that agony's escaping route "i want to be a man", screw that honestly. accept your inner female

Andre going blind (right eye blur) made me sorrowful.. he lived for her, having only her in his sight … unable to see his sun, the sole thought about that is agonizing enough

one of my favorite episodes
May 28, 2020 8:44 PM

Oct 2019
Ok, I can understand the reason why Oscar wants to be a man, but maybe it isn't the right one. Loving a guy doesn't make someone a woman, and the fact that someone was taught to be a man doesn't make them one. It isn't wrong that Oscar wants to change her gender, but since she wants to do it because of Fersen, and not for feeling like a man, it isn't the correct approach. So in this episode, André tried to show her this (even if it was a little too much). I would like to believe that the "saying" of the rose was meant to be that she will continue to be herself, and that can't be changed, it doesn't matter what her gender is. The problem now is that Oscar may misunderstood what he was trying to say.
Also, that thing about "love that brings suffering" really hit hard lol.
Sep 11, 2020 12:55 AM

Jul 2015
Dramatic and tragic love with Oscar struggling to forget her female feelings for Fersen and André dealing with his right eye going blind (I hope it's because of the sudden strain and just needs some time to get used to having just one eye) while trying to convince Oscar a point that she can't change who she is and also finally coming clear with his love for Oscar (though in the worst way possible).

Sep 27, 2020 7:34 AM
Sep 2020
Pullman said:
Lol at the beginning, Andre staring directly towards the sun and then wondering why his eye is blurry.

But this episode is probably my new favorite so far. Very dramatic and tragic, with Oscar facing Fersen, Andre facing Oscar and losing his second eye too. The scene at the end was very strong, especially the epic slap. I guess Andre wanted to see her tits even once before he went blind, lol.

Andre is such a pitiful character :( I feel his pain.

Does Oscar even have tits though?
What always stroke me in Oscar is how flat chested she seemed even in that light shirt she usually wears.
Maybe Andrew ripped her shirt and didn't see any tits? That could explain his shocked face after rippING her shirt.
Anyway Oscar asked for it this episode with her attitude and what happens at the end is simply the consequences of her stubbornness.
Sep 27, 2020 7:37 AM
Sep 2020
Both in the anime and manga Oscar tits aren't shown during this scene, neither are any signs shown that she even got tits.
It is even more embarrassing in the manga version of this scene where Oscar calls for Fersen's help in her mind.
Sep 27, 2020 7:42 AM
Sep 2020
HeroAppears said:
André wanted to see them before he became completely blind.

Lmfao what did he want to see?
Feb 15, 2021 7:49 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Andre is very close to hitting bottom here. Not condoning what he did (way to confess your deepest secret you numbnuts. Real bad way to show it) but his blindness and the collapse of his world with Oscar leaving him is hitting him hard.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 31, 2021 8:58 PM

Aug 2018
OMG This was just too good!
Loved the scene with Fersen finding out about Oscar's feelings, it was so good.
Andre is soon to be fully blind, which is quite sad, though I did love the part when he showed Oscar that shes a woman and will never be a man, would have been even better if he fucked her, that would have really put her in her place haha. amazing!

Mar 25, 2022 7:15 PM

May 2021
Andre..? what the heck, you ruined everything
I always wanted them to love each other and for oscar to notice him but he ruined it, that's literally harassment
Ah... why

and I despise his line "a rose will forever stay a rose" anyone can be whoever they want to be (although this seems to be the whole point of the show and OP?)
Apr 13, 2022 10:13 PM
Sep 2017
Andre confessing his love toward Oscar.

Very plot-driven episode so far.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 30, 2022 1:31 PM

Dec 2021
bruh .... Andre ... as someone earlier eloquently put it that was very anti-smooth

and as one of the posters said ,, I guess he wanted to see her tits before he went blind ...

Andre drunk driving the horse was LOL ,, pretty cool
---
Fersen the heartbreaker taking girls hearts and dipping

Oscar just needs to accept her harem at this point .. then everybody's happy
Jul 10, 2022 3:02 PM

Jul 2016
bro Andre, what the hell, I was rooting for you,,, that was just unnecessary and if I was Oscar, my trust would be broken
Oct 3, 2022 6:14 AM
Aug 2020
Alcoholicide said:
Lol at the beginning, Andre staring directly towards the sun and then wondering why his eye is blurry.

But this episode is probably my new favorite so far. Very dramatic and tragic, with Oscar facing Fersen, Andre facing Oscar and losing his second eye too. The scene at the end was very strong, especially the epic slap. I guess Andre wanted to see her tits even once before he went blind, lol.

Hi was wondering the same thing when I saw the beginning(°▽°)

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Oct 3, 2022 6:16 AM
Aug 2020
Alcoholicide said:

Btw one of the best comments of this topic lol.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Oct 6, 2022 10:00 PM

Apr 2016
Everyone getting confronted with their unrequited love with Marie's pledge setting the tone for the rest of the episode and what a tragedy! It even got an epic slap scene! The feelings! Andre knew he screwed up.
Oct 6, 2022 10:42 PM

Jul 2019
I loved this anime. Too good!

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Dec 1, 2022 1:21 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
the only love, is the painful one!!! kekeke
Feb 21, 2023 3:08 PM

Oct 2019
damn, what an ep. Only one kind of love out there boys and gals. The love of agony, lol. 
Wasnt expecting Andre to rip Oscars shirt off. I playing it up as an accident as he is losing his vision, its dark in there, and he isnt thinking clearly so he tried to pull his hand away i guess. Also, Oscar pulling a Fersen. Trying to run away from these emotions. 
"Perfection is perception. For me, humanity's imperfections is what makes it perfect"

Jun 2, 2023 2:37 AM

Jan 2021
Waah, waaa! The tension this episode had! This is the "finally" episode for all of them. I didn't expect at all that Andre would kiss Oscar but I think it's because there were so many mixed feelings for him at the time. Aaaa but I hope Andre won't go blind! Please, at least don't let him go blind!

Sep 17, 2023 10:54 AM
Jul 2023
Fersen is really trying to overcompensate for being bisexual. He fell for Oscar so hard when he found put she was a woman that he completely forgot his feelings towards Marie. Oscar is also struggling with her own bisexuality, but what's expressed through the story is that Fersen is more of a forbidden love for her because of his relationship with Marie. Pretty interesting stuff. I even didn't mind how Andre's feelings towards Oscar was handled until the end of the episode. I don't care if he was trying to prove to Oscar she's a woman by grabbing her and ripping off her clothes, but etf is Oscar supposed to think when this is happening??? Clearly she's terrified about what Andre is about to do and so was I.

Also, the gender stuff is handled pretty weird. Oscar is the most androgynous person in the world both in looks and personality, so who cares if she wants to embrace her masculinity and live as the man she was raised to be? Andre certainly shouldn't be one to judge having lived with her his entire life. He can't force her to be a woman because he loves her. I know she's trying to run from her feelings towards Fersen and all, but there are much better ways of approaching the situation than "I'm going to overpower you and show you you're a woman." I hope Andre's actions are treated with the weight it deserves because that was fucked up.
Oct 19, 2023 4:39 AM
Jan 2019
Well I can’t really feel bad for Andre anymore, while Oscar was oblivious to his feelings he is equally as blind (lol) to the struggles, especially in regards to gender, that Oscar is facing. There is absolutely no excuse for what he did in this episode
Dec 7, 2023 5:27 AM

Apr 2017
Reply to Ryu-B
Ok, I can understand the reason why Oscar wants to be a man, but maybe it isn't the right one. Loving a guy doesn't make someone a woman, and the fact that someone was taught to be a man doesn't make them one. It isn't wrong that Oscar wants to change her gender, but since she wants to do it because of Fersen, and not for feeling like a man, it isn't the correct approach. So in this episode, André tried to show her this (even if it was a little too much). I would like to believe that the "saying" of the rose was meant to be that she will continue to be herself, and that can't be changed, it doesn't matter what her gender is. The problem now is that Oscar may misunderstood what he was trying to say.
Also, that thing about "love that brings suffering" really hit hard lol.
@Ryu-B Great assessment. Wanting to identify as the gender you feel you actually are, isn't bad. The issue is that she's equating feelings and romance to being a woman. She thinks that only women can fall for women, and that men can't fall for men. That's... Not good thinking at all. Rosalie and Charlotte alone, prove that wrong. Both of them were girls who had a crush on Oscar. Charlotte and Rosalie left, because they didn't want the fate of being married to a man (granted, he was a sick and perverted man that even non-lesbian women wouldn't want, but still). Men can obviously fall for men. So her wanting to identify as a man, is rooting in problematic thinking.
Dec 7, 2023 5:36 AM

Apr 2017
First, I will say that I truly feel awful for Marie Antoinette. Dealing with a sick child is one of the worst things in the world. I remember the lady that did my sister and I's hair, telling us that she buried her parents before she buried her grandparents. One of the saddest things we've heard.

Fersen isn't horribly written, but he is annoying. He's basically trying to go to Oscar, when Marie Antoinette gave him the boot. Though I can't feel too bad for Oscar, but she allows it to happen.

Andre... Oh my God... So much went wrong for you this episode... He's a well written character, but he isn't enjoyable anymore. He's right to call out Oscar for only identifying as a man, to avoid her love for Fersen. That has horrible implications:

• That women only love men
  • That men can't love other men

Uh... Yeah... Though telling Oscar that a person born as a certain sex, can't identify as another gender, is just wrong. He also basically pinned her down and brutally ripped her shirt off. Andre is complete trash. Though maybe that's the point of his character. Just because he was seemingly nice for a while, doesn't mean that he's the ultimate nice guy. Also, just as Oscar could've gotten over Fersen, he likewise could've gotten over Oscar. So I ultimately feel no sympathy for him.
Feb 5, 1:05 PM

Jun 2015
Andre lost his mind along with his eyesight. Didn't he realize that there was no going back from doing that? It was a dumb move.

About people debating in the comments about whether what Andre did was because he wanted to do it or he was just teaching Oscar a practical lesson. Remember that Oscar was raised to fight. She can handle things very well even if she is physically weaker (she is a woman after all) and she has been in fights before. He didn't manage to push her down and rip off her clothes because he was stronger. Oscar was simply terrified. There's a difference between a fist fight and attempted rape. This is the most terrifying assault a woman could face.
Niveen_SleemFeb 5, 1:14 PM
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Apr 19, 11:22 PM
Apr 2024
My 2 cents about this episode that ruined totally my sympathy for André. The assault scene, yes, let's call it by its name, is even worse in the manga than in the anime, through which the author just wants to mark the exacerbation of the drama of the two characters, one disappointed by an unrequited love and the other ditto, but in the end it only mortifies and humiliates both of them.
No matter how much it pains you, you can't force someone to love you, clear André? And it is not enough to repent afterwards, the act itself is unforgivable for a woman, even if it fortunately did not go all the way. Only unhealthy love goes that far.
When Oscar says she "wants to live like a man" it is just a pride reaction to the disappointment for Fersen, it is not that she wants to become a man, she just wants not to have to depend on others to live, like men do at that time, her words. A wounded and agitated state of mind that certainly did not need André's stupid and provocative phrase "a rose cannot be a lilac."
Furthermore, Ikeda and those who edited the anime for her have to make up their minds, either Oscar is capable of defending herself against an attack even from behind (as by the black knight at the fountain, in the manga), hitting a man so hard that he is sent across the tables of a tavern, knock out a group of men who kidnapped the princess when she was 14, or she is a damsel in distress who needs to call for help if she is attacked; the two person cannot coexist. Beyond the momentary bewilderment due to André's abrupt reaction, she should have been able to react before he pinned her to the bed. She has been training all her life, heck, she is not a woman who spent her time embroidering and walking around with a sunshade. All this is illogical.
The work deserves but two great characters were ruined and humiliated by the author, and this makes the work lose a lot of points in my opinion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 38 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Dec 13, 2008

42 by ryougi_shiki07 »»
May 11, 11:02 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 17 Discussion

Alcoholicide - Sep 6, 2011

25 by MysteriousFriend »»
May 5, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 13 Discussion

DonKangolJones - Oct 19, 2008

31 by MysteriousFriend »»
May 4, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

yma981 - Sep 23, 2008

65 by ArtimesGamer »»
Apr 19, 2:36 AM

Poll: » Rose of Versailles Episode 8 Discussion

removed-user - Apr 19, 2009

41 by Natt_5cents »»
Apr 18, 9:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.