Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Barakamon
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 27, 2014 5:52 PM

Sep 2013
I really enjoyed this anime. Especially the relationship between Naru and Handa. I appreciated the fact that their interaction is so funny and heartwarming. It could easily cross over to creepy, but it never did.

After seeing Handa's parents it made I started to wonder about Naru's and Handa's relationship years from now. Did anyone else notice how much older Handa's father is then his mother? I say he looks at least 15 to 20 years older. Could this be foreshadowing?
Spending more time thinking about the fictional world than reality.
Sep 27, 2014 7:00 PM

Sep 2011
I hope im speaking for everyone when i say this,

dont fucking usagi drop this shit

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Sep 27, 2014 7:11 PM

Jul 2012
pls no lol

I'd rather him even become gay then get together with Naru.

JizzyHitler said:

+1
Sep 27, 2014 7:17 PM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
pls no lol

You're not alone on that one.

Sep 27, 2014 7:19 PM

Nov 2008
This is madness, lets not have another series ruined by wife husbandry please.

Sep 27, 2014 7:29 PM

Dec 2012
JizzyHitler said:

What ever could you mean? That never happened in the anime. The only canon story there is. Everything is just fan made shit.
Sep 28, 2014 4:15 AM
Dec 2013
JizzyHitler said:

MANGA RUINED EVERYTHING

this is where we say "dont read the manga"
Sep 28, 2014 4:32 AM

Dec 2013
Please, no :| That's a whole new level of cradle-snatching I'm not ready for :<
If anything, Handa would act like an overprotective brother/father figure.
Handa x Hiro makes me feel less uncomfortable than Handa x Naru :|

Ah. So. Gross.
Sep 28, 2014 5:06 AM
Apr 2014
it's not like there will be a 2nd season, so i dont give a fuck,he can bang her in the manga whenever he want
SIOESep 28, 2014 5:13 AM
That's how I see like more than half of the MAL users with their "waifus", hentais, harems, weird-ass video games and all that shit
Sep 28, 2014 7:38 AM

Sep 2013
Objurgo said:
Creepy reasoning there

What's creepy about it? You are looking at it from a perceptive of a 23yr. old vs. a 7 year old. I made it very clear that it is not that at all.

Many many people marry spouses that are 10, 15, even 20 years older. I'm not saying that it would happen to Naru and Handa. But it looks like it did with Handa's parents.''

Anyway, it was just a thought. I see them more as a father daughter relationship...
Sep 28, 2014 7:43 AM

Aug 2013
You know what I'd be fine with it but only if it's something like Handa goes back to Tokyo, they meet again after 10-15 years... then yeah I might be okay with that. If Handa's there and watch her grow up then no. Usagi Drop was...no.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 28, 2014 7:45 AM

Sep 2013
xchee said:
You know what I'd be fine with it but only if it's something like Handa goes back to Tokyo, they meet again after 10-15 years... then yeah I might be okay with that. If Handa's there and watch her grow up then no. Usagi Drop was...no.

Yes I think it is the only way it would work.

In Usagi the child is being raised as his own. That is creepy.
Starlet79Sep 28, 2014 7:56 AM
Sep 28, 2014 8:05 AM

Jul 2011
Itd be nice if he were to adopt her after her grandfather passes away and to keep it like that without taking it any further
Sep 28, 2014 9:14 AM

Jan 2014
I don't want to think Handa as a pedo...No please no!!!
It way to creep tho...

Sep 28, 2014 9:28 AM

Nov 2007
I really can't see how it could've "easily cross over to creepy"? There was nothing hinting for a romance or a desire for one. It's a young kid who loves attention and childish adult maturing by having a child look up to him.
This is making it sound like people have to make an actual conscious effort to not let their story about a kid and her father figure turn into a paedophilic relationship.
Sep 28, 2014 11:30 AM

Sep 2013
Orangevision said:
I really can't see how it could've "easily cross over to creepy"? There was nothing hinting for a romance or a desire for one. It's a young kid who loves attention and childish adult maturing by having a child look up to him.
This is making it sound like people have to make an actual conscious effort to not let their story about a kid and her father figure turn into a paedophilic relationship.
Orangevision said:

Why does everyone go straight to pedophile. You do realize if someone marries someone 15 or so years older then the younger spouse was at one time a child when the other was an adult. Jeez get your minds out of the gutter. There are many possibilities for their relationship in the future. Friends, siblings, etc.
I was just wondering what the future held...
The anime itself is not about this. It's about a young man and the island and the people there. It's cute and heartwarming.
Sep 28, 2014 12:04 PM

Nov 2007
Starlet79 said:

I was just wondering what the future held...

By saying crossing creepy line would've been easy for the show?
Also yes, 15 years is less weird the older two in a relationship are, but asking if a 7-year old and her sort-of father figure could have romance in the future is pretty creepy.
Sep 28, 2014 12:15 PM

Jul 2013
Please no.
Sep 28, 2014 12:16 PM

Sep 2012
Swayze_Express said:
it's not like there will be a 2nd season, so i dont give a fuck,he can bang her in the manga whenever he want

I am depressed after reading it.
Sep 28, 2014 12:49 PM

Dec 2012
OT: Nah, no more than 5 to 10 years gap b/w the parents. Sei is 23, so Mom should be in her mid forties, the father is also good-looking and well-preserved, but, yeah, a bit older.

Naru is a NO.
Sep 28, 2014 1:51 PM

Sep 2013
Eww. I'd rather see Seishuu with Miwa.

Naru was a really interesting role and big part of the story, I don't think it would have been so interesting without her, and such a good trip for Handa. We all noticed how Naru always had that special part in an episode that made Handa realize things. Like the paper planes on the roof, when she said she didn't want the Obon to end because everyone was having fun. Not to mention she was funny as hell.

I especially liked how they zoomed on Naru's name on Handa's calligraphy in the last episode.
Sep 28, 2014 4:13 PM

Aug 2010
Starlet79 said:

After seeing Handa's parents it made I started to wonder about Naru's and Handa's relationship years from now. Did anyone else notice how much older Handa's father is then his mother? I say he looks at least 15 to 20 years older. Could this be foreshadowing?

That's disgusting...
I'd rather he be with Tama... For some reason I keep seeing something between the two lol
Sep 28, 2014 6:26 PM
Aug 2013
I kind of wish I hadn't opened this thread...

Anyway, no. Just no. I see them as a father/daughter relationship. To me, it was like that from the start.
Sep 28, 2014 9:37 PM

Aug 2013
Opi-chan said:
Starlet79 said:

That's disgusting...
I'd rather he be with Tama... For some reason I keep seeing something between the two lol

I think Tama would rather Handa be with Hiro haha.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Sep 28, 2014 9:39 PM

Dec 2012
This would be about as tasteless as the guy who suggested that Hotarubi no Mori e encourages pedophilia.
Sep 28, 2014 11:33 PM

Dec 2012
Hobi said:
Objurgo said:

What ever could you mean? That never happened in the anime. The only canon story there is. Everything is just fan made shit.

manga..

It really flew over your head didn't..? Even with the Italic writing
Sep 28, 2014 11:57 PM
Aug 2011
Nothing is pure and sacred anymore, to anyone. :/
Sep 29, 2014 1:27 AM

Aug 2010
xchee said:
Opi-chan said:

That's disgusting...

I think Tama would rather Handa be with Hiro haha.

I know lol. I just see chemistry between Handa and Tama is that so wrong? Plus it'll be funny IMO if she had feelings for him and she had to choose between her feelings and her love of Handa and Hiro together:)
Nov 1, 2014 12:40 AM
May 2012
Damn, this thread is crazy.
Nov 1, 2014 12:40 AM

Jan 2013
mayukachan said:
pls no lol

JizzyHitler said:

+1

hell i hope he becomes gay
Nov 5, 2014 2:13 AM

Oct 2011
This series just doesn't scream romance so I hope that nothing comes of that... Especially not with Naru. Even if they will both be adults in 10 - 15 years, don't you think its a little creepy to end up having a feelings for a child you watched grow up? It'd be different if he had never met her until she was an adult.

As for Handa's parents - we don't know how old they are. In the prequel manga Handa's mom looks exactly the same when he's in highschool as she does now. So I think its very possible that she could be around the same age as her husband, she just has killer genes.

Either way, Handa doesn't seem like a guy who's too terribly interested in romantic relationships anyway. At least not at the moment. He seems like the kind of guy who'd marry out of obligation honestly.
Nov 29, 2014 12:04 PM

Jun 2011
I wouldn't put it in the same category as Usagi Drop honestly. In that series they have an explicit father-daughter relationship, which made the ending uncomfortable and unfitting.

Handa and Naru's situation is a little different. They could be considered more or less friends, with Handa exhibiting father-like tendencies. If the author really wanted to pursue an ending that would plot them romantically they'd have to be careful about it. Like mentioned above, I think the only way it would work out is if Handa went back to Tokyo and came back 10+ years later, possibly visiting the island for a short period of time every year or two. They have a strong connection to each other and a platonic relationship could blossom into love somewhere down the road. That being said, the 16 year age difference is still pushing it.

Personally, I'd go for a Handa x Miwa end if anything. I think it would work out better and be the safe choice.
Nov 29, 2014 12:08 PM

Feb 2013
Only the idea of people shipping romantically Naru and Handa makes me want to throw up.

Feb 4, 2015 9:09 AM

Nov 2009
Handa would probably be a decent match with Miwa to be honest, she is at least a bit closer in age and they are quite similar in a good few ways.

Naru is too damned cute to be seen as anything more than an adorable daughter/kid sister, I don't think I would like to see that change at all.
Feb 14, 2015 2:14 AM

Apr 2012
Objurgo said:
Hobi said:

manga..

It really flew over your head didn't..? Even with the Italic writing

I'm sorry I'm just laughing at this.

-----
Anyway, just like what some people said, I'd rather see him with Miwa (I won't say no to Hiro either, but I'm not a fujoshi. I swear . At least I don't think I am. HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

But yeah, it would be nice to see a side plot for romance for Handa, just not with Naru.

My forum picture is awesome. #sorrynotsorry (tumblr)

Aug 18, 2016 5:33 PM
Aug 2016
A bit late. But based on the manga, Handa isn't leaving.
And Naru is a daughter to him. Usagi Drop was, well, absolutely lovely until it very much so wasn't. But Barakamon simply isn't Usagi Drop. One of the hallmarks of this series is the absence of things like fan service. (I mean, they did a beach story with no bathing suits! No ogling!) The way this author writes and preserves the childhood and innocence of the children is, to me, all the proof we need for why that relationship will never happen.
That being said. the age difference would have been weird but acceptable if Seishuu left the island permanently at the end of the anime and they didn't meet for like 15 years. But that isn't what happened. (But I swear to god if he doesn't adopt her)
Oct 8, 2016 5:22 PM
Sep 2016
I'm up for Miwa and handa, not naru, she's like his daughter and when she grows up she'll be like his little sister
Oct 8, 2016 5:40 PM

Mar 2016
Starlet79 said:
I really enjoyed this anime. Especially the relationship between Naru and Handa. I appreciated the fact that their interaction is so funny and heartwarming. It could easily cross over to creepy, but it never did.

Ah-

No.

If anything, Handa's like an older brother to Naru. If she ever did develop romantic feelings for him, I doubt Handa would act on them.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 22, 2016 4:15 PM
Dec 2016
Bitches people.

You can fuck with your own canon shit. The anime itself DOESN'T NEED romance in it. You guys are just a bunch of autocrats. Useless.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

154 by Karva1 »»
Jun 3, 3:24 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

336 by snowykevin »»
May 24, 7:36 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

158 by Euonymus »»
Mar 20, 4:06 AM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2014

399 by Devonnius »»
Feb 20, 10:31 PM

Poll: » Barakamon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

175 by Softhenic03 »»
Jan 24, 11:29 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.