New
Is Slaine the worst character of 2014?
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]
Sep 29, 2014 10:51 AM

Nov 2013
Worst character 2014 was 5 from ZnT.
Sep 29, 2014 4:52 PM

Sep 2011
yeah hes a really bad character, his personality and motivations are so one dimensional and can be summed up by saying "hes loyal to the princess" with nothing deeper than that, he has insane amounts of plot armor and has brought the show down every time he was onscreen, now worst o 2014 is another thing but hes fucking awful

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 1, 2014 12:09 AM

Dec 2009
This poll doesn't even make sense... What's the point of creating a "discussion" that's not a true discussion but only people shitting on a character? That's not constructive criticism, go post on tumblr or on your blog lol.

To the others who care about having a dialogue, I think that Slaine was actually the best character of the series. He was one of the few (together with Rayet, Marito and Saazbaum) who was decently developed. He wasn't only a flat surface like Inaho or a character that repeated themselves over and over like Inaho's sister. He was a deep character, insecure and full of doubts that showed his personality. His past shaped him and made him the person he was in the series. He was the most human, and if you say he's a bad character because he made mistakes, we'll, you're actually proving he's a good character because true people make mistakes often. I can understand people disliking him, but saying he was a bad character? No way man.
Oct 1, 2014 12:43 AM

Aug 2011
Well i mean His reaction was like "Fuck this shit I'm done" and I totally understand why. like I mean this show basically hated him!! not even the daughter of the assassin of the princess had to deal with the shit slain had to deal with...
and then the robot of Inahao at the end was like " ooh remembering the non romatic time I spend with your princessu"
I dont blame slain tbh
and Inahao was boring!
Oct 1, 2014 7:21 AM

Dec 2009
ilichu said:
I mean this show basically hated him!!

The show? What about the people? XD Everyone's shitting on him. Can't understand why seriously. You can like/dislike a character, or criticize them, but here a lot of people seem to make a war if someone's opinion is against them.
Oct 1, 2014 10:43 AM

Sep 2014
molassus said:
so yeah people justify his actions simply because he's doing it for love (obsession mind you)
Inaho as stoic as he is, is a better protagonist in a war themed show.He knew being emotional would just lead to him being killed so he suppressed his emotions.

Slaine would be an ok character if this show was some kind of a romance oriented thing.

Him killing Inaho at the final scene was clearly out of jealousy he knew who killed the princess, and he knew the princess trusted Inaho. simply because she went running for Inaho when he was injured. That was definitely an act of jealousy.

Dont be fooled by how good a character looks if he looked more like Saazbaum then all the Slaine fans would be hating him with a burning passion

couldn't agree more slain is just your typical jealous ass who can't stand to see the girl he loves be taken away that's all there is to it you could argue with me and say i'm wrong but why even bother this is just my opinion

Slain is just to jealous for his own good and I hope inaho is alive so I can see that stupid ass die.
Oct 1, 2014 10:46 AM

Apr 2008
whitehairkaneki said:
molassus said:
so yeah people justify his actions simply because he's doing it for love (obsession mind you)
Inaho as stoic as he is, is a better protagonist in a war themed show.He knew being emotional would just lead to him being killed so he suppressed his emotions.

Slaine would be an ok character if this show was some kind of a romance oriented thing.

Him killing Inaho at the final scene was clearly out of jealousy he knew who killed the princess, and he knew the princess trusted Inaho. simply because she went running for Inaho when he was injured. That was definitely an act of jealousy.

Dont be fooled by how good a character looks if he looked more like Saazbaum then all the Slaine fans would be hating him with a burning passion

couldn't agree more slain is just your typical jealous ass who can't stand to see the girl he loves be taken away that's all there is to it you could argue with me and say i'm wrong but why even bother this is just my opinion

Slain is just to jealous for his own good and I hope inaho is alive so I can see that stupid ass die.

Funny thing is the princess never reciprocated his feelings.
Oct 2, 2014 4:25 AM

Jul 2010
Solcast59 said:
Darklight0303 said:

The sazbaum argument falls completely apart WHEN THE GUY FUCKIN SAID TO SLAINE'S FACE THAT HE WILL STOP AT NOTHING TO KILL THE PRINCESS. God that recycled excuse is getting so fucking tiring.

Also holy fuck you are actually glorifying his final scene. THERE WAS NOTHING BUT JEALOUSY INVOLVED. Like hell he was worried he would harm the princess. WHO IS ALREADY FUCKING DEAD BECAUSE OF HIM.

Slaine is a moron end of story. An obsessed child who didn't want to share his precious princess with someone whom the princess was clearly close to. He is a pathetic selfdestructive wretch

LOL What a harsh way of describing Slaine XD Calling him a pathetic self-destructive wretch is going overboard. Slaine is more like a child trying to find his own self. :3

Also I am not glorifying his final scene. I am stating his reasons for shooting Inaho. There is no evidence that jealousy is involved with the death scene. It could be anything really. You are just claiming that it is jealousy that Slaine shot him.

Slaine is worried about the princess. He doesn't want to see another harm being done to the princess so that is why he shot Inaho. Slaine doesn't know if Inoho is a threat or not to the princess like Inoho doesn't know if Slaine is a threat also.

Claiming that the princess died because of Slaine is an overstatement. He doesn't know that the princess will be joining the battle so it is logical for him to save Saazbaum from Inoho, who he considered as an unidentified enemy.

Good to see someone actually using common sense in here.
Oct 2, 2014 6:42 AM

Apr 2010
Slaine is awesome. Awesome ending. Typical happy endings are overrated. Slaine wins. Cry more!
Oct 2, 2014 6:44 AM

Apr 2008
antonnn said:
Slaine is awesome. Awesome ending. Typical happy endings are overrated. Slaine wins. Cry more!

Slaine wins 'what' exactly? He's lost everything including his sanity
Oct 2, 2014 6:45 AM

Apr 2010
Slaine wins all your tears.
Oct 2, 2014 7:05 AM

Apr 2008
antonnn said:
Slaine wins all your tears.

Typical. Not a single logical argument to your defense.
Oct 2, 2014 8:38 AM

Nov 2013
antonnn said:
Typical happy endings are overrated.
So are generic grimdark and edgy endings.

Relevant:
Oct 2, 2014 9:06 AM

Apr 2008
BotatoPriest said:
antonnn said:

Relevant:

More more more!
Oct 2, 2014 9:16 AM

Jul 2014
All the characters in the show suck anyway.
Oct 2, 2014 2:31 PM
Jul 2014
i hate inaho but at least he was more useful in the anime than slaine who waited until the last moment to make a decision.
Oct 2, 2014 4:55 PM

Mar 2008
Lt. Marito.
Oct 3, 2014 5:46 AM

Mar 2012
Tbh I'm kinda thankful he's the reason those 2 useless, bland and annoying characters died.

Oct 3, 2014 6:13 AM

Apr 2008
Criska said:
Tbh I'm kinda thankful he's the reason those 2 useless, bland and annoying characters died.

And now you're only left with one useless and annoying character who lacks any potential of carrying the series on his own
Oct 4, 2014 4:01 AM

Apr 2010
BotatoPriest said:
antonnn said:

Relevant:

Still better than the much more common, predictable, boring happy ending.

Okashi--chan said:
All the characters in the show suck anyway.

Yeah there wasn't really any good chracters in the show, I liked it for everything else as opposed to the characters themselves. Wasn't a Slaine fan, but he's a hero for making next season much more interesting.
Oct 5, 2014 1:37 AM
Jul 2012
Now I don't post ever, but it seems to me that people are missing an important aspect here. Inaho drew his gun on slaine first. Keep in mind that Inaho was the one who shot down Slaine in the earlier episodes. Sure Slain drew first at that time, but I don't think you're going to so easily forgive someone who shot you down which then leads to you getting tortured, kidnapped and other bull shit. Slaine learned his lesson and when Inaho drew his gun on him this time, he made the smart move and fired. Does he have a creepy princess obsession? Clearly. Was it the smartest thing saving Saazbaum? Probably not. But I think learning of Saazbaum's reasons behind the war and having Inaho threaten to use the princess as a tool made his choice of action in saving Saazbaum, although not the best, the lesser of two evils. Perhaps he thought, albeit naively, he could convince Saazbaum not to kill the princess, or save her himself. He was also accepted by the martians, as witnessed by random martian soldier a, more than he was the terrans, even though he himself is terran.

Granted I'm not convinced him saving Saazbaum was the right choice, but I think I can understand why he did it if my analysis is sound, which it may not be. As for killing Inaho at that moment, that was definitely the right choice, given his unstable mental state, the past experience with Inaho and Inaho drawing on him first, his life was on the line.
No I don't read manga. Why? Because according to MAL manga readers, all anime is either: too rushed, too slow, anime original, or a terrible adaption. I like to enjoy anime for what it is, anime.
Oct 5, 2014 1:39 AM

Apr 2008
Zarial said:
Now I don't post ever, but it seems to me that people are missing an important aspect here. Inaho drew his gun on slaine first. Keep in mind that Inaho was the one who shot down Slaine in the earlier episodes. Sure Slain drew first at that time, but I don't think you're going to so easily forgive someone who shot you down which then leads to you getting tortured, kidnapped and other bull shit. Slaine learned his lesson and when Inaho drew his gun on him this time, he made the smart move and fired. Does he have a creepy princess obsession? Clearly. Was it the smartest thing saving Saazbaum? Probably not. But I think learning of Saazbaum's reasons behind the war and having Inaho threaten to use the princess as a tool made his choice of action in saving Saazbaum, although not the best, the lesser of two evils. Perhaps he thought, albeit naively, he could convince Saazbaum not to kill the princess, or save her himself. He was also accepted by the martians, as witnessed by random martian soldier a, more than he was the terrans, even though he himself is terran.

Granted I'm not convinced him saving Saazbaum was the right choice, but I think I can understand why he did it if my analysis is sound, which it may not be. As for killing Inaho at that moment, that was definitely the right choice, given his unstable mental state, the past experience with Inaho and Inaho drawing on him first, his life was on the line.

Slaine shot first at Tanegashima too. SOrry to burst your bubble
Oct 5, 2014 2:40 AM
Jul 2012
Darklight0303 said:

Looking back you are right. Somehow he missed at that range apparently, probably why I accidentally dismissed it. Good catch. My point still remains though. He didn't shoot Inaho when he was crawling to the princess first either, just drew and gave him a warning. I should rephrase though that: Inaho drew to kill this second time around first, and not give him a warning, unlike what he did by not killing Slaine at Tanegashima. But Slaine still made the right decision when Inaho drew on him this time. As I mentioned, the whole learning his lesson last time, at least to some extent, compared to some of his other actions. If Slaine didn't pull the trigger, Inaho would have killed him. So I can't really label him as worst character ever, he did what he had to do to preserve his life, the logical answer.

That being said, I want to reiterate I don't fully condone his actions in saving Saazbaum, or in him even being a phenomenal character, but I shared my speculation as to why he could have done it. Just from a survival standpoint he made the right choice against Inaho, which it seems a lot of people think he shouldn't have.
ZarialOct 5, 2014 2:43 AM
No I don't read manga. Why? Because according to MAL manga readers, all anime is either: too rushed, too slow, anime original, or a terrible adaption. I like to enjoy anime for what it is, anime.
Oct 5, 2014 6:28 AM

Apr 2008
Zarial said:
Darklight0303 said:

Looking back you are right. Somehow he missed at that range apparently, probably why I accidentally dismissed it. Good catch. My point still remains though. He didn't shoot Inaho when he was crawling to the princess first either, just drew and gave him a warning. I should rephrase though that: Inaho drew to kill this second time around first, and not give him a warning, unlike what he did by not killing Slaine at Tanegashima. But Slaine still made the right decision when Inaho drew on him this time. As I mentioned, the whole learning his lesson last time, at least to some extent, compared to some of his other actions. If Slaine didn't pull the trigger, Inaho would have killed him. So I can't really label him as worst character ever, he did what he had to do to preserve his life, the logical answer.

That being said, I want to reiterate I don't fully condone his actions in saving Saazbaum, or in him even being a phenomenal character, but I shared my speculation as to why he could have done it. Just from a survival standpoint he made the right choice against Inaho, which it seems a lot of people think he shouldn't have.

The survival standpoint kind of loses some of its legitimacy when the other party involved is half dead to the point that they had to crawl on their body to reach a corpse that was very close by
Oct 5, 2014 8:42 AM

May 2008
He was the worst. What the sh*t he's been doing??

I believe this "tragedy" will change him somehow later in the season 2.
Mar 19, 2015 4:22 AM

Jan 2008
Until episode 12 I thought he was one of the best characters. Now I don't know anymore.

Voted 'No', though there are definitely worse characters than him even in this show.
Mar 19, 2015 9:50 AM

Mar 2015
Only started watching the 2nd season and so far from what I can tell is he seems to be taking on a roll similar to Char from the Gundam series by staying close to his enemies but I did find it odd he would shoot the guy protecting the girl he grew up with.

And my Vote is No on that note.
Mar 29, 2015 8:16 PM
Feb 2015
Voted no as there as worst characters that I could name of, at least Slaine always kept making me watch the series just for his sake.
Jul 5, 2015 6:13 PM

Jul 2014
Enraii said:
all the characters either blow or aren't developed enough.
Jun 13, 2019 4:11 AM
Sep 2018
look at all slaine fan defending him,i wont call him the worst character of the year but he is the worst in the series,inaho doesnt count because he isnt a chara,he is a "robot",who like him anyway right? and what u guys like about slaine is his character "concept",too bad it just the concept,the execution is fail,they want to make a real "human" chara which is slain,and fail so hard,that make him a "RETARDED" character of this series instead,i mean u know what make him the "retarded" chara,theres no way u didnt realize that.
Sep 21, 2019 9:14 AM

Mar 2012
Feaor said:
Since when does hating a character = bad character? If anything Inaho is a far worse character than Slaine because he basically has no depth or personality what so ever. Its like saying Joffrey from GoT is a bad character because you loathe him, but that's the absolute point, he's not supposed to be a likable character.
I came back 5 years later to quote this because 5 years later people still don't get it.
Jun 25, 2020 11:01 PM

Aug 2018
Inaho is worse and in fact I kinda like Slaine a bit.

Jun 26, 2020 6:35 AM

Apr 2008
Amatniki said:
Inaho is worse and in fact I kinda like Slaine a bit.

Inaho didn't drag out the war through his stupid selfish decisions. Slaine did
Pages (11) « First ... « 9 10 [11]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

2123 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 9:01 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

319 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 1:22 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

474 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:50 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

837 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

715 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 23, 2:10 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.