Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 18, 2016 5:02 AM

Aug 2014
Wow, that sacrifice is really something.
Fine Episode.
Sep 11, 2016 4:32 AM

Jul 2016
The animation looks kinda off, although it probably is just the style of this new director. This episode was pretty stupid though.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Oct 24, 2016 3:20 AM
Aug 2016
What the fuck happened to the animation?!?
Oct 31, 2016 9:59 AM

May 2016
The animation looked kinda derpy in this episode. I guess I can let it pass since it was 9 years since this was made. Oh well.

Kamina really wanted a flashy combo move. I have to admit that it's a little too hot-blooded to throw boulders at your soul brother for the sake of stylishness though @_@

The Black Siblings are here, riding backwards to take your men and blow up some gunmen~ Simon got suffocated by oppai twice now... how lucky can he be?

It seems that the Gunmen are not only charged by the user's spirit, it's also affected by the user's body state. Boota did an unexpected sacrifice by giving them his delicious booty meat.

That 16-headed mech was a waste of potential. Yada yada ~_~ I wonder how cool it would be if they hijack every badass gunman they can encounter.

Yoko remained gorgeous, levelheaded and nonchalant :3

Nov 23, 2016 12:08 AM

Jul 2015
The animation was off...

Hey, I bet I can sum up all that we've seen in the series up until this point in one word.. Ready? Go: "aniki."

Once again, Simon is still getting on my nerves. Hopefully he really does change because he's really a pain to watch..

caught in the wonder
Dec 1, 2016 9:50 AM

Nov 2016
Average episode. I'm still watching hoping to see why lots of people love it. I'm giving it to episode 8 and if it doesn't improve this may be the first anime I'll drop. Still love Yoko though.
Dec 26, 2016 9:34 AM

Jan 2013
Poor Boota giving up his Booteh ...
Took Simon long enough to find out that he was supposed to combine in a "manly" way.
Jan 3, 2017 2:57 AM

Feb 2016
that pet is kinda unnecessary to well, anything, the dub is still irritating to the ears, reminds me of children shows like pokemon and digimon. I didn't hype myself for this but I know the show will get better.
Cloud_IllusionJan 8, 2017 6:10 AM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Apr 6, 2017 1:00 AM

Dec 2016
Nice to see all that training paid off.

Kamina is popular with all the ladies.

Boota's butt lol, wasn't expecting them to say it was delicious.
Jun 17, 2017 8:17 PM

Nov 2016
Funny episode, thought that the different animation style was fitting.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 17, 2017 8:19 PM

Nov 2016
Funny episode, thought that the different animation style was fitting.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 6, 2017 6:18 AM
Jun 2016
Animation was meh from the first to the last second of the episode, except in the transformation sequence (they supposedly hired different staff for the animation, but the transformation sequence was already made by the usual staff).
The writing wasn't good. It was as good as a One Piece filler episode.
Nov 19, 2017 9:24 PM
Dec 2012
The different mouth movements and comedic faces made this odd to watch. There was also an overuse of closeups this episode. The guest characters were decent though.

I wonder if they'll reuse that combine transformation scene.
Dec 13, 2017 1:24 PM

Dec 2009
Nice calm episode of combining after the hecticness of the first 3 episodes.
Apr 10, 2018 4:46 AM

Jan 2015
Good episode, every episode I like Kamina more. Their Combination is epic. Poor Boota. xD
Apr 29, 2018 10:23 PM

Dec 2014
well the met new people... I hope they brief up who are beatmen anyway
Oct 14, 2018 8:29 AM

Jun 2015
For god's sake. Saying this episode is unwatchable is just too much.
Nov 13, 2018 1:00 PM

Apr 2018
This episode was waifu heaven.

Dec 12, 2018 8:10 PM
Oct 2018
I don't get why people love this show so much. Art and animation is patchy at best, the design of the mechas is objectively terrible- like worse than the worst, low-budget 80s toy-shilling crap-tier terrible. The characters are irritating cardboard cut-outs- literally the most generic characters of any series I can think of, the writing/dialog is 80% cringe, 20% undisguised exposition dumps. The series can't make up its mind if its parody or not (some shows, like FLCL, can pull that off, but so far TTGL cant). I guess if you like fan service then there's a fair bit of that, but it isn't even good quality fan service.

(The ED is pretty good, and the 1/8th of the animation thats good, is pretty good, but thats honestly all I can say in it's favour at this point.)

I'm probably ride out a few more episodes (at 2x speed), because people I usually respect say its "a classic", and maybe it'll pick up at some point, but at this point all I can think is that people think it must be "a classic" because its old Gainax, or something.
Apr 16, 2019 4:20 AM

Feb 2017
+1 noticing the drop in animation quality in this episode. I like the simple and cartoonish art style, but sometimes when there was tight close-ups on people's faces the lack of detail didn't track emotion or intensity well at all. Also there were camera and timing cuts that just felt off.
Apr 17, 2019 12:31 PM

Feb 2012
lol Buta sacrificing his tail So outlandish and outrageous, it's awesome.

So the Black Siblings ride those long hair dog things backwards?

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 25, 2019 1:35 PM

Jul 2016
Pretty good episode, not bad so far.
May 25, 2019 1:37 PM

Jul 2016
So... when will we move into the space battles of epic proportions?
Jul 11, 2019 3:21 AM

Aug 2017
This episode was directed by Osamu Kobayashi, the same guy who did some avant-garde shorts for studio 4°C and directed episode 7 of Kemonozume (a show by Masaaki Yuasa), I recognized the art style instantly. It's great when used in a coherent environment (like in Kemonozume, when the whole show is build around this abstract style), but in TTGL it stands out too much, obviously, so the effect is not particularly good. Not bad, though, I like the introduction of some new characters.

From the TTGL wiki:
Takami Akai, the producer of the series and a co-founder of Gainax, announced that he would resign his position effective episode five, which aired on April 29, 2007, over comments that he made regarding posts on the Japanese Internet forum 2channel. Akai and another Gainax employee, Keiko Mimori, made disparaging remarks about comments criticizing the animation style of the fourth episode of Gurren Lagann, which was completely directed by guest and friend Osamu Kobayashi. With regard to reading the fan criticisms, Akai stated that it was "like putting [his] face next to an anus and breathing deeply." Fans later became aware of his comments, and he announced his departure from the company he helped to found.

This is hilarious, the dude welcomed his friend Kobayashi to direct the episode, received furious backslash from the fans, basically told them "fuck you" and then retired (or was fired)
St0rmbladeJul 11, 2019 3:26 AM
Aug 8, 2019 7:47 PM
Jun 2017
Faust721 said:
Is it me or is the animation seems a little different this episode. Something was not right. Either way, it was a pretty good episode. I loved the part where Kamina wouldn't combine with Simon till he did some cool air move. The tail thing was funny too. Yoko is hot as always but there wasnt much of her. Anyways, looking forward to the next episode.
Also agree, this episode had a bad animation, the expressions, the dialogues, were much lower than the previous chapter.
Sep 5, 2019 6:07 PM
Oct 2018
Is Simon really useless? At least in the show everyone seems to give all the credit to Kamina and it true that once they have merged I don’t really understand the role of Simon. I really wonder how the mecha works once they did merge. And I hope Simon will get some recognition at some point...poor Simon.
Mar 4, 2020 7:33 PM

Jan 2019
I was rewatching the series and I justwanted to say that I don't know what was going on with this episode but the characters are drawn really badly. It was a significant downgrade from the first 3 eps. Still a great ep but it wasn't nearly as amazing as eps 1-3.
Hunter x Hunter is a 1/10
Aug 26, 2020 8:24 AM
Jul 2019
Ah yes, the infamous episode 4. The downgrade in animation and directing is so apparent. The close ups, weird angles, animation of the mouth, and the flow of the episode as a whole was executed poorly. It felt bizarre watching it, like I'm watching a video of some amateur indie animator. The only thing I can say was good was the combination of Gurren Lagann. Honestly, you can skip the entire episode and just keep in mind those four people they met.
Sep 2, 2020 4:28 AM

Dec 2017
Why ppl hating this animation. I mean its a different style of animation but its nowhere as bad as some exaggerate it to be. This style actually fits this episode imo.
But I have to say those sudden close up mouth shots were kinda annoying.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Dec 13, 2020 4:57 PM
May 2020
When I watched episode 4 I didn't feel like I was watching the same show
the reason is that apparently 2 teams were supposed to take turns animating.
episode 4 was directed by Osamu Kobayashi and produced by a guest animator
the fans hated the quality of episode 4 so much that Osamu and his guest animator friend (2nd team) had to step down and resign, and the 1st team that animated every episode but 4, took over
eieDec 13, 2020 5:01 PM
Apr 30, 2021 7:44 PM

Apr 2020
Ok, so there was a lot of talk of "manly combining", drills being poked into enemies and near Kamina's mouth and let's not forget sacrificing your butt for the final fight.

Brotherly love all the way!!!

PS: Yes, the animation was a definite downgrade from the previous episodes.
Jun 22, 2021 3:11 PM
Aug 2020
Wow this was horrible and boring, no wonder this episode is so infamous.
Jul 6, 2021 4:56 PM

Oct 2016
The animation of this episode is crazy awful lol.

As usual, Kamina with his stupid ideas, trains Simon to gattai.

Amidst the mess, Team Gurren Lagann meets new a beastmen hunter squad, the Black Siblings: Kittan the eldest brother and the cute younger sisters Kiyoh, Kinon, and Kiyal. The three girls admire Kamina, which annoy Kittan very much.
Sep 30, 2021 5:32 AM

Oct 2020
This episode was great. I was laughing when Kamina yeeted Simon when he tried to combine lol.

"Manly combining is a thing of beauty." I agree ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I have a feeling that we'll meet those characters again later in the show.

3/5

"FALL OFF YOUR HORSE!" - Gyro Zeppeli
Sep 30, 2021 8:31 PM
Dec 2020
Is it just me or does Kiyoh look suspiciously like Ayla from Chrono Trigger?
Dec 13, 2021 9:30 AM
Nov 2020
I honestly wouldn't mind the animation if for one the lip movements weren't so jarring and if they didn't reuse animations. But yeah the OG style is way better
Apr 10, 2022 7:59 AM
Jul 2018
The world of this anime is weird like one piece world, and WTF with those dogs? Running backward, lmao
The animation was different from last 3 episodes, and it was great but OG animation looks better. Yoko was not annoying like last episodes, and I love to see it.
Simon & Kamina both are amazing characters with Simon as my favorite from series as of now!
May 30, 2022 12:49 AM

Feb 2021
Kamina's dumb antics are pretty funny, I laugh any time he opens his mouth. Weird since the first time I watched this anime I thought he was always irritating.

The animation did look off but it's whatever. I still enjoyed it
Jul 5, 2022 3:20 PM

Apr 2018
Well, they've met some hot ladies and destroyed a 16-faced gunmen. They're on a winning streak and hilarious how they got a full stomach after the sacrifice of their little friend xD

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Sep 15, 2022 11:09 AM
Oct 2015
Animation style bad.
Sep 15, 2022 10:48 PM
Jul 2022
Can we all agree that boota has a top tier ass
Oct 2, 2022 4:35 AM
Mar 2020
TEE EMO ON SUICIDE
Nov 29, 2022 4:04 PM

Mar 2021
I thought the story was the same as usual, but the drawings of the people were more unbalanced than usual, which was very disconcerting and bothered me until the end.

Jan 13, 2023 7:41 PM
Oct 2012
People have seriously overstated how bad the animation is this episode, goddamn. It was fine imo, even if the episode wasn't as good as the previous ones.
Feb 2, 2023 7:02 AM

Mar 2009
The animation's quality drop in this episode is something else.
May 1, 2023 12:56 AM

Aug 2022
What happened to the animation? It looks so weird. Apart from that the episode is fine.
Jun 12, 2023 8:30 PM
Dec 2019
Dookie quality and, like wtf even happened
Sep 6, 2023 6:47 AM
Jul 2022
What happen with episode 4 ? the animation is terrible and it's really cringe, if anyone wanna watch gurren lagan please skip this episode, especially when you are a fan of studio trigger
Sep 24, 2023 7:12 PM

Mar 2022
Whilst everyone is just saying it’s a bad episode, I personally disagree with this mainly on one thing: the animation. Now, I can see why people would not like the animation in this episode altogether and it’s mainly due to the fact that the animation director is somebody that mostly does stuff for OVAs and a lot of things that would require the animation to be more abstract cuz that’s essentially what half of Osamu Kobayashi’s credentials involve. Seeing as I’ve learnt this fact, I feel it’s not really his fault that the animation in this episode suffers but rather I feel he was more or less not really suited for something as bombastic as Gurren Lagaan which honestly doesn’t really fit the aesthetic that it’s got going on as a whole.

If anything Takami Akai SHOULD be blamed for the fact that he decided to just act childish just because a couple of people on a forum essentially critiqued his friend’s work it doesn’t really matter if the criticisms were valid or not, you don’t act like a child back and expect to not resign or get fired after that display especially when your working for something big as Gainax and he was meant to be the producer for the show.

Anyways short tangent over I feel like when you take away the negative of the episode which is again the animation, you are still left with a good episode maybe not as good as the first three but still consistent enough to make it still watchable as a whole. It did introduce new characters and Boota essentially sacrificing his tail to help Simon and Kamina was pretty selfless.

Is this a bad episode? No. Is it a weaker episode? Yeah I’d say so. Is the animation bad here? Well yeah it’s jarring and looks nothing like how the previous episodes look and it’s really wonky a lot of the time but again it doesn’t detract anything from the episode itself. It’s merely just a byproduct of having a different guy for the animation.
Nov 22, 2023 4:11 PM

Nov 2014
Intensely ugly episode, with Kamina at his absolute most annoying. Very odd decision to put something like this so early in the series, I'm sure more than a few people stopped watching here.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

accela - Sep 29, 2007

1152 by LinaThePotion »»
Apr 25, 5:01 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheWestExit - Aug 6, 2007

217 by AbyssGundyr »»
Mar 31, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

momo_ - Aug 12, 2007

157 by TheStarscream759 »»
Mar 26, 5:08 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

broaz - Jul 29, 2007

194 by phantom346 »»
Mar 25, 10:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.