Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 11, 2014 9:25 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Ah finally, we find out a bit more about 9 and 12 during their childhoods. A bit late but whatever. Apparently, they were tested at this facility like experiments.

Poor Lisa. She has a bomb on her now. I'm glad 12 made it to her though even though it seems like a trap. Five still seems to be suffering from some sort of stress though. I think Lisa is appreciable for what's 12 is doing for her. However, I think Five is taking this game a bit far. 12's actions were predictable though :/
Stark700Sep 11, 2014 11:01 AM
Sep 11, 2014 9:55 AM
Apr 2013
I barely know any Japanese but couldn't wait for the subs.. Was it implied that Five is suffering from some trauma from the experiments? Nine and Twelve don't have time left because they're dying but what about Five?
Sep 11, 2014 9:56 AM
Dec 2009
Anybody else find it ironic we're watching ep 9 of 11 for a terrorist anime on 9/11? Anyway this has been a good series.
Sep 11, 2014 10:05 AM

Dec 2012
FaytNight said:
Anybody else find it ironic we're watching ep 9 of 11 for a terrorist anime on 9/11?

No, you are the only one. :^)
Sep 11, 2014 10:27 AM

Aug 2010
He's actually not the only one. Many people have been talking about that ^^;

Quite an ep that was. We finally got a full story on the kids and the facility. Athena plan is something like an esper project but a bit more realistic I guess :P

So those 3 will be dying soon? Interesting to know. Seems like Five is having the side effect showing up already.

Poor 9, totally got "betrayed" by 12. I still like 12 though. It was understandable but still :/...well glad he was able to escape.

Loved the tension during the bomb disarming scene. OST was great there too ^^
Sep 11, 2014 10:32 AM

Aug 2008
Arg, at least Nine escaped as expected.
I love ferris wheels! And them, making a scene with that setting with Lisa and Twelve, are cool people! It was beautiful, almost as beautiful as the ride scene.
Sep 11, 2014 10:38 AM

May 2013
So Twelve sold Nine out on the location. I guess he had no choice though, seeing that he didn't want Lisa to get hurt.
Sep 11, 2014 10:55 AM
Feb 2014
Wow. Just wow. What an incredible episode, inducing savant syndrome? Those sly old bastards.

I dont blame Twelve, i have to admit at first i was very shocked, but what would everyone else do? Get blown up to pieces with the woman he blatantly loves, or tell five where the bomb is, knowing theres a small chance that nine may get away. Hard decision but i think he made the right one.

OH YEAH, HOW DID THIS EP GO SO QUICK. When it ended i was like wat, ive swear its been on for like 5 mins.

Really emotional episode, cant believe there are only 2 eps left :'(
mattie2710Sep 11, 2014 11:20 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 11, 2014 11:04 AM

Mar 2014
Man that ended so quickly, amazing and tense episode. That music that played during the ferris wheel scene is my favorite piece on the soundtrack
Sep 11, 2014 11:12 AM

Aug 2013
My hopes for this show are returned. Not bad, not bad.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Sep 11, 2014 11:15 AM
Jun 2013
The disarming song was fucking beautiful xDDD

God bless you Yoko Kanno

12 is not a traitor, every living being would choose themselves over someone else.

fabulous chapter.............
Sep 11, 2014 11:20 AM
Jul 2014
I was so nervous to watch this after Ep. 8 (still don't like that Twelve let Lisa drive him and Nine apart), but I think my expectations have been met. Yay! ^^

Btw, anyone wonder if Five would have disarmed the bombs even if Twelve didn't give up the location anyway? I mean, if Twelve didn't tell and she blew him up she'd just lose her only chance of finding where the atomic bomb was, right? Don't think she's dumb enough to do that, but...
Sep 11, 2014 11:30 AM

Jul 2013
great episode. it was much better than episode 8.

so the government was creating an atomic bomb. that news won't be well received if it gets leaked out to the public. i wonder if 9 and 12 knew that what they had stolen wasn't plutonium but an actual atomic bomb prototype. up to this episode, 9 and 12 had called it plutonium but when 5 mentioned that it was an atomic bomb to 12 during the phone call, 12 didn't seem surprised.

so the question of what was going on in that facility has finally been answered.

i hope 9 escapes. i also see shibasaki and his partner doing something unexpected.

9 knows that 12 has betrayed him and if 9 dies, it'll be 12's fault and 12 probably knows that.
orchidorkSep 11, 2014 11:42 AM
Sep 11, 2014 11:31 AM
Apr 2014
Such a powerful anime with such a mighty OST!!!
Sep 11, 2014 11:34 AM
May 2014
This anime is simply SUUGOOII! ^^
Sep 11, 2014 11:37 AM
Aug 2013
Love this animee! Great episode!
Sep 11, 2014 11:37 AM

Jun 2013
Sylveons said:
I barely know any Japanese but couldn't wait for the subs.. Was it implied that Five is suffering from some trauma from the experiments? Nine and Twelve don't have time left because they're dying but what about Five?

Five is not suffering from trauma. She's most likely suffering from the side effects of the drug that induces the savant syndrome. Five is the one who's dying, it's not really clear how deeply affected Nine and Twelve are as of yet.

Well I can probably see a lot of people hating on:
1) Twelve's decision to save Lisa over Nine, and Nine somehow escaping luckily. Nine and Twelve have been planning to use the atomic bomb for years probably, but Twelve would risk letting that plan fall the ruin because of a girl. Although Twelve does mention that he feels guilty for having pulled Lisa in, so we get a little explanation to why Twelve would go so far.
2) Five as an antagonist. After this episode, she is confirmed as being someone who doesn't resort to being simple and efficient when capturing her targets. She LOVES playing around with them, and the fact that she comes off as someone who's treating all this like a game would probably not reflect positively.

Oh and for people who were confused about why they would enroll in the school (among other reasons), this episode shows that the school was the hiding spot for 9 and 12's bomb!

A great episode that cleared up a lot of things, although I would appreciate info as to what they plan on doing with the atomic bomb.

What did Aoki mean when he said "I hope those kids are still alive"? Kids meaning 9 and 12.
pakokoSep 11, 2014 11:47 AM
Sep 11, 2014 11:46 AM
Jul 2014
I 'm still wondering wether Nine actually plans to drop the Atomic bomb or not. We will know with the last two episodes, but I actually think he might not explode it. In an earlier episode, 9 and 12 made sure no one could get killed on the train, so it has new wonder: What are they planning to do with it?
Sep 11, 2014 11:47 AM
Jun 2012
That bomb disarming scene was brilliant.

Jul 2013
WHOA. i just realized several things.

what are the chances that 5's fainting had something to do with the drug? i think that drug is slowly killing her.

i wonder how 9 and 12's bodies are taking the drug's effects. the man who revealed everything to shibasaki (i don't remember his name) said "all i can do is hope that those 2 are still alive somewhere even if they won't be able to live long". from this statement we learn that the drug is most likely going to kill them eventually. it's implied that the man doesn't know that 9 and 12 are behind the terrorist attacks and that the attacks are geared towards the group behind the experiments. so this all means that 5, 9 and 12 don't have much time. and in episode 8, 9 and 12 both claimed that they don't have much time. they weren't referring to the fact that they were going to get caught soon if they didn't put their plan through but were actually referring to the fact that they had to finish what they started before the drug ended up killing them.
orchidorkSep 11, 2014 11:51 AM

Mar 2014
Holy shit I almost had a heart attack. I thought the show went downhill when Five appeared, but now this episode really got my hopes up.
Sep 11, 2014 11:48 AM

Dec 2013
12 and Lisa are so cute together. DAMNIT FIVE. Such an asshole. Wtf...

Hope 9 doesn't feel too bad... i mean... 12 does love Lisa. Hope 9 escapes. And hope 5 had an hear attack.
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Sep 11, 2014 11:51 AM

Sep 2010
TheFishy said:
I 'm still wondering wether Nine actually plans to drop the Atomic bomb or not.

I would want to see big explosion at the end.

Anyway concerning Lisa, or maybe this show female cast. Why they all so bad? Why they were added in the first place? Even if I might have get bored by more Sphinx and Shibazaki puzzles, I would enjoy them much more. Sometimes something would explode sometime it would not, that is what I wanted.

Even if the show is still really good. Like right now it's all out, we are going straight to the ending in one, there are betrayals and we finally find out the back story, unfortunately I somehow don't feel like the '10' anymore.
Sep 11, 2014 11:51 AM

Sep 2013
Well I gotta say that there were some things I liked, others I didn't. My post is pretty long though so I'll keep it in a spoiler...

Sep 11, 2014 11:52 AM

Jun 2013
orchidork said:

what are the chances that 5's fainting had something to do with the drug? i think that drug is slowly killing her.

This was already implied when Five grabbed her head last episode looking like she was suffering.

orchidork said:
i wonder how 9 and 12's bodies are taking the drug's effects. the man who revealed everything to shibasaki said "all i can do is hope that those 2 are still alive somewhere even if they won't be able to live long". from this statement we learn that the drug is most likely going to kill them eventually. so 5, 9 and 12 don't have much time. and in episode 8, 9 and 12 both claimed that they don't have much time. they weren't referring to the fact that they were going to get caught soon if they didn't put their plan through but were actually referring to the fact that they had to finish what they started before the drug ended up killing them.

This was implied also when Five tells Lisa, "Do you think those guys have a future?" Meaning they're all running on a time limit. 5 realizes she doesn't have much time either, but maybe if she captures 9 and 12 she's been offered by the FBI to live longer somehow -> just a speculation though. That's why she's so bent on killing 9 and 12.
Sep 11, 2014 11:53 AM

Sep 2007
Fantastic episode. I hope 5 and 9 reunite.

Sep 11, 2014 11:54 AM

Apr 2012
Finally understand where Nine and Twelve came from, and it looks like Five is about to kick the bucket.

Only question we don't have the answer to at this point I think is what Nine and Twelve's actual ENDGAME is, what are they trying to accomplish with their terrorism?
Sep 11, 2014 11:58 AM

Jul 2013
pakoko said:
orchidork said:

This was already implied when Five grabbed her head last episode looking like she was suffering.

orchidork said:
i wonder how 9 and 12's bodies are taking the drug's effects. the man who revealed everything to shibasaki said "all i can do is hope that those 2 are still alive somewhere even if they won't be able to live long". from this statement we learn that the drug is most likely going to kill them eventually. so 5, 9 and 12 don't have much time. and in episode 8, 9 and 12 both claimed that they don't have much time. they weren't referring to the fact that they were going to get caught soon if they didn't put their plan through but were actually referring to the fact that they had to finish what they started before the drug ended up killing them.

This was implied also when Five tells Lisa, "Do you think those guys have a future?" Meaning they're all running on a time limit. 5 realizes she doesn't have much time either, but maybe if she captures 9 and 12 she's been offered by the FBI to live longer somehow -> just a speculation though. That's why she's so bent on killing 9 and 12.

you're right. i didn't catch that. 5 is obsessed with getting her hands on 9 and the bomb and she doesn't seem to be a fan of her headaches either so your speculation makes sense. i also think that she has a personal vendetta against 9 and not 12 but obviously we don't know what that is yet.

i'm also curious as to what 9 and 12 were planning to do with the atomic bomb. if they're planning to get revenge on the facility, how will using an atomic bomb accomplish that if they don't want to kill innocent people?
Sep 11, 2014 12:10 PM

May 2007
Episode 09 was brilliant, I just wanted to say "I knew it"....lol but in all seriousness I didn't expect that they stole an atomic bomb prototype, sort of shocked on why they would do that.

So Five is here to have a final duel with Nine and Twelve since she's nearing her death. I want to know why she didn't escape with the other 2, was she simply left out or did she sacrifice herself to be a decoy so that the escape would be successful and over the years began to regret her decision and became jealous of the 2. I'm hoping my questions will be answered in the next episode....only 2 episodes left after all.
Sep 11, 2014 12:12 PM

Jun 2013
Keten said:
The entire first half was basically just telling us what we already figured out. There was this place that the government set up, bringing gifted kids in and experimenting on them to turn them into super intelligent soldiers or something. The only thing we didn't figure out really was how and it was explained with cliche fictional drug that makes super intelligent people. lol

Now... here's where I dislike how they kept this a secret till now... Why did they keep it a secret that Nine and Twelve are dying? Do you have any idea how much more suspenseful it would be if we knew why they were doing this and that they only had a small time to do it in from the beginning? I mean it's not like this was a big reveal or even anything new to the genre or anything, we pretty much figured out most of this ourselves.

What does keeping that information away from us accomplish besides making the narrative confusing and making the characters lack focus and appeal?

C'mon. You knew I'd respond :P I'm not going to respond to most of your points, though, since I agree to most of them.

Well, the drug-induced intelligence is cliche as a trope, but since it's actually been researched that regular people can indeed become savants, it's not unlikely that a drug, or some outside experiments, can cause people to exhibit savant qualities. Here, for example, is an article to read about a regular guy who became a savant after a brain injury:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2608861/How-brain-injury-turned-average-Joe-math-genius-40-people-WORLD-released-inner-Einstein-trauma.html

You're right. I think they should have revealed from the start that Nine and Twelve don't have much time. But at the same time, if the time limit is revealed at an earlier episode, I think the show would have lost a little bit of tension just because there's the illusory effect of 9 and 12 having a lot of time actually (about 7 or 8 episodes) before they die. Revealing it now really sets the tone for the climax, imo.

Having said that, i can't give you a satisfactory reason as to why they would purposefully make the show confusing by holding out on background info. I'd say it's just the storytelling, but we've discussed that this type of storytelling isn't as effective for this sort of tense crime drama.
Sep 11, 2014 12:19 PM

Jun 2013
orchidork said:

you're right. i didn't catch that. 5 is obsessed with getting her hands on 9 and the bomb and she doesn't seem to be a fan of her headaches either so your speculation makes sense. i also think that she has a personal vendetta against 9 and not 12 but obviously we don't know what that is yet.

i'm also curious as to what 9 and 12 were planning to do with the atomic bomb. if they're planning to get revenge on the facility, how will using an atomic bomb accomplish that if they don't want to kill innocent people?

It is implied she has a personal grudge. She couldn't escape the facility, so she was taken in custody by an American agency. My guess is that Americans put her through additional experiments, giving her hell while 9 and 12 were living a better life, at least. I think she has a grudge on 9 and 12 abandoning her and escaping the facility -> but the guilt always comes back to 9 through his nightmares.

Lol me too... since Dr. Mamiya is dead already, I wonder who 9 and 12's target really is.
Sep 11, 2014 12:21 PM
Jul 2018
Well,it got better but it has not recovered from the drop in quality caused by Five's appearance.
Sep 11, 2014 12:22 PM
Jul 2018
We finally get to know about the past of Nine and Twelve.

Poor Nine, he got betrayed by Twelve.
Sep 11, 2014 12:27 PM

May 2014
They at least manage to make you hate the antagonist. I can't wait to see where the last show goes in the final 2 episodes.
Sep 11, 2014 12:30 PM

Sep 2013
pakoko said:
C'mon. You knew I'd respond :P I'm not going to respond to most of your points, though, since I agree to most of them.

Well, the drug-induced intelligence is cliche as a trope, but since it's actually been researched that regular people can indeed become savants, it's not unlikely that a drug, or some outside experiments, can cause people to exhibit savant qualities. Here, for example, is an article to read about a regular guy who became a savant after a brain injury:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2608861/How-brain-injury-turned-average-Joe-math-genius-40-people-WORLD-released-inner-Einstein-trauma.html

You're right. I think they should have revealed from the start that Nine and Twelve don't have much time. But at the same time, if the time limit is revealed at an earlier episode, I think the show would have lost a little bit of tension just because there's the illusory effect of 9 and 12 having a lot of time actually (about 7 or 8 episodes) before they die. Revealing it now really sets the tone for the climax, imo.

Having said that, i can't give you a satisfactory reason as to why they would purposefully make the show confusing by holding out on background info. I'd say it's just the storytelling, but we've discussed that this type of storytelling isn't as effective for this sort of tense crime drama.

Ya I knew you'd respond. :P

I'll admit that it wasn't badly explained or anything, it was well executed and didn't bother me much as an info dump. It's nothing particularly new though... I mean okay, using the word savants is kind of new but the whole government org turning kids into super soldiers thing has been done a lot. It's okay if it isn't the main focus but that is pretty much the entire backstory for Nine, Twelve and Five and what the entire series is spawned from... Anyways ya, it wasn't bad, I just thought it was cliche.

While I agree that yes it sets up for the climax to have a lot of tension, I don't think keeping it until now adds anymore tension than if they revealed it from the beginning because if they only have a set time to get things done, regardless of if they told us or not, they very easily could show that their time is running out. The time running out is the part that creates tension, not learning about it and that way it could have had tension throughout the whole show instead of just the end.

I am a bit bothered that they didn't show why Nine and Twelve stole the nuclear bomb yet though... I assume that may be revealed next episode though but I can't say for sure.
Sep 11, 2014 12:34 PM

Aug 2012
I don't know, it seems like Five has a really strong interest in 9 but not 12, which maybe has something to do with 9 being the one who decided to abandon her.

Also what's Nine doing with all that Helium?
Sep 11, 2014 12:36 PM

Jun 2014
Happy 9/11 everybody!
Sep 11, 2014 12:41 PM
Aug 2011
rsc-pl said:
My hopes for this show are returned. Not bad, not bad.

Same here!
An episode with minimal Five turns out better than the ones where we do get more of her as I expected.

Lisa and Twelve have had really beautiful scenes.
The whole ferris wheel bomb scene was lots of emotions in one. I loved it.
Initially I thought this would be hard bromance but these two have won me over.
Sep 11, 2014 12:41 PM
Jan 2014
FateHero said:
Finally understand where Nine and Twelve came from, and it looks like Five is about to kick the bucket.

Only question we don't have the answer to at this point I think is what Nine and Twelve's actual ENDGAME is, what are they trying to accomplish with their terrorism?

Personally, I think that their endgame is to get the government to confess that they abducted children for a program that killed the majority of them and, now, that they have been developing atomic bombs behind closed doors. While the first confession would obviously induce a lot of disgust and anger among the general public, I can't even imagine what that would do to a society that holds the unfortunate honor of being the only one that has been exposed to an atomic/nuclear bombing. Just think about Shibazaki's history as a second generation atomic bombing victim and how that would affect him personally. He talked about the student protests in the last episode - imagine the protests that would occur when the general public found out what the Japanese government had been doing behind closed doors.
Sep 11, 2014 12:58 PM
Sep 2012
omg, i genuinely though that Lisa was going to die. Jesus, the entire ferris wheel scene was intense
Sep 11, 2014 12:58 PM

Feb 2013
Wow didn't expect twelve to give up that easily. It was pretty obvious that they were some kind of test subjects hence the flashbacks that they showed. Can't wait for the next episode.
Sep 11, 2014 1:08 PM

Sep 2014
Twelve really messed up man, but then again he didn't have a choice. Looks like Nine is a lone wolf now.
Sep 11, 2014 1:11 PM

Aug 2009
UubTay said:
That bomb disarming scene was brilliant.

Yes I really loved the OST there.
This episode was good. I'm starting to put my hopes back in this anime. Let's see where it's headed

Sep 11, 2014 1:15 PM

Mar 2013
Amazing episode. Twelve did the right choice, my hopes on this show are back again.
He knew Nine would do something about it, even though that means a betrayal.
Sep 11, 2014 1:19 PM
Jun 2013
The last couple episodes worried me, it wasn't as exciting as the first few episodes but this episode was amazing. It raised my expected score back to 9. Really impressed.
Sep 11, 2014 1:21 PM

Jun 2013
Holy Shit! That was an amazing and intense episode! Just two left to go :)
Sep 11, 2014 1:32 PM

Dec 2011
Damn, I just realized, but I love Twelve's and Lisa's scenes so much omg
Well, that was pretty intense, even though most of the things that happened were predictable.
Sep 11, 2014 1:37 PM

Jan 2014
Brilliant.
Sep 11, 2014 1:42 PM

Oct 2013
FaytNight said:
Anybody else find it ironic we're watching ep 9 of 11 for a terrorist anime on 9/11? Anyway this has been a good series.

There is no way that this is a coincidence. My bet is that they calculated for this.
Sep 11, 2014 1:48 PM

Jul 2014
Ferris Wheel scene was absolutely beautiful. First the motorcycle scene in episode 4, now this. It's great. (I also noticed that Twelve wore the same shirt in both scenes lol.)

My hopes for a (relatively) happy ending dwindle with each episode... granted, with the recent episodes there's probably no point expecting one in the first place, but...
Pages (9) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 14, 2014

380 by Yavicci »»
Apr 24, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2014

866 by Pain »»
Apr 21, 7:47 PM

» Boring

egosumjohn - Aug 30, 2023

22 by Pain »»
Apr 21, 7:38 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2014

448 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 14, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Zankyou no Terror Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Naruleach - Jul 5, 2014

422 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 14, 2:24 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.