Forum Settings
Forums
Sankarea
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 18, 2015 2:13 PM
Jul 2010
The ending felt like a Harem ending...

Yes Yes Troll ending too...

The ending was a bit a of a let down and it almost felt too rusted.
I don't know if they wanted a rom com or an action manga about zombies.
Some characters are explored really well
Back stories seem to come out of no where.
Some characters could have had more depth to them like Mero or Wanko.
Some characters the reader really didn't need to know about, like Rea's parents.

I felt like half way through the mangaka got distracted with another manga or maybe got pushed into rushing it. Seemed to be that the manga could have gone on for 100-150 chapters. The grandpa's back story was really good but the manga felt so rushed for me. it was like a foot note of information.

So the pervy dad is a good guy now? Pretty much watches his daughter eat a kid... yeah...

The first couple chapters and the anime were well though out going all the way up to the confused state, after that it was a down hill race to the finish.
Mar 19, 2015 12:28 AM

Nov 2012
Your whole post frustrates me so I'm going to do a quick run-through.

[Tobuay]
The ending felt like a Harem ending...

The ending was not at all harem, and not even close to it. If you disappear off the face of the planet for a whole year, people will begin to miss you. That's essentially the same reaction Rea gotten when she returned (save for Darin, but Darin is a different story.) Nobody showed specific romantic attraction to Rea outside of Chihiro.

[Tobuay]
I don't know if they wanted a rom com and it almost felt too rusted.

This is a shounen romance. It's basically an elementary spin on romance with high school characters. DB stated this in previous posts if you read it.

[Tobuay]
Back stories seem to come out of no where.
Some characters could have had more depth to them like Mero or Wanko.
Some characters the reader really didn't need to know about, like Rea's parents.

Mero and Ranko do not give back story to the plot. Remember, we're following the plot out of Chihiro's perspective, so it's not necessary to go further in depth of each individual character because a reader wants it to. It would be nice, yes, but realistically speaking it would have been extremely out of place. We explore Rea's parents over the shoulder of Chihiro. We figure out *WHY* Danchirou is obsessive about his daughter and *WHY* Aria hated Rea, which ultimately lead to the current plot. If Danchirou didn't become obsessive over his daughter; then the whole plot would have taken an entirely different route. For Darin, she becomes a major character in progressing the plot of why she seems to only view Rea as a test subject, rather than a being with some sort of rationale. With the relationship progressing, then Darin improves her views on Rea specifically and is actually ready to stop creating zombified beings for the sake of testing and nothing more.

[Tobuay]
So the pervy dad is a good guy now? Pretty much watches his daughter eat a kid... yeah...

No. Just -- the author does not explicitly state that Danichirou is a good guy. Like all humans, we may not be good people, but we can do good deeds. Remember; Danichirou was the one who chased Rea off of a cliff - leading to her death and zombification. I personally believe that Danichirou felt that it was necessary to take care of the man who made a promise to both care for his daughter and get the same affections in return from Rea. But this is in no way meaning that Danichirou is a good man. Maybe he woke up from his insanity, we're not quite sure as an audience. What we can come to conclusion is that Danichirou helped Chihiro live, even though he has an artificial heart now.

Finally, the whole series was quite good. The final chapter wasn't the most satisfying of conclusions and leaves open ends for the reader to interpret. DB mentioned that Sankarea was only peaking in popularity, so the editor had the author end it early. The author seemed to have 3 extra chapters in mind with the flow of the first few pages of Chapter 56, on how Rea's recollection was of the "I-ate-the-person-I-love's heart" incident. Then how Rea went into self-imposed isolation for a year, then come Jigorou's funeral would have been the final chapter.
Apr 12, 2015 2:30 AM

Apr 2009
"You don't need to worry - That you ate my heart."

"You were delicious."

I didn't believe it last chapter, but early on this chapter I started to believe. That he killed off Chihiro. The author got me with that twist, alright... GJ though Rea did indeed devour Chihiro's heart... D: I do wonder whose heart he received, though.

I guess I got caught up too much into the small details like... Rea's decomposition not getting a clear solution until she started living alone by the ice caves. Or not. How she has survived this long without rotting significantly has escaped me. It was made clear early on that the leaves never served that purpose, it just kept the clarity of her mind.

The ending is rather light compared to what I expected, but it's not too bad either. Not conclusive enough, perhaps. Maybe I also waited too long that the impact of the series has also been lost on me. Gonna miss these characters. Maybe they can continue the anime now.

++++ Death Becomes Her ++++
Apr 13, 2015 6:29 AM

Dec 2010
the extra chapter was very mind boggling, so Rea still alive? im assuming the kids that do the ritual is Mero's grandchildren since the girl looks exactly like her.

Oh man, stuff like this is why i wished my fav manga's never end.
Apr 13, 2015 10:15 PM

Jul 2009
wow. im not even mad. i was pretty mind blown from the previous chapter. if they ended him actually dying id be pretty impressed. but alas, deus ex machina in action. ah well. cheeky ending, would've liked a proper confession. not really sure what to rate it since there's just such a long gap for translations to come out. but basing off of those last 3 chapters and the fragments i have in my mind, 8/10. i believed i enjoyed it at one point, then got annoyed, but overall i think 8/10.
Apr 14, 2015 10:48 AM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Last few chapters were weird. I wouldn't mind watching a continued anime adaption where it last stopped airing. 8/10

Apr 20, 2015 5:33 PM

Jul 2012
Ugh so inconclusive

The extra chapter is even more depressing
May 16, 2015 3:53 PM

Dec 2012
You just got Food-zoned.

Jun 5, 2015 4:20 PM

May 2014
Unworthy ending for such a great manga :(
Jun 26, 2015 7:53 PM

Feb 2013
Wow, the whole time I thought Furuya really was eaten by Rea. They got me good! I was "Damn, they're really going for that time of ending ." but it was just a funeral for Furuya grandpa.

Not the most satisfying ending but I still liked it.
Jul 3, 2015 7:14 PM

Nov 2008
I really think anyone who WANTED Rea to kill and eat the only boy she loves is sick and messed up in the head.

Really, people are complaining about this NOT happening?

What the f*ck is WRONG with all of you!! When I saw the ending to chapter 55, I thought I was going to puke!! It was such an unpleasant read...and then then Hattori revives my faith in the last ten pages.....thank freaking God something that bad hadn't happened!

Jul 27, 2015 1:49 PM
Jul 2015
That ending was thrown together during someone's lunchbreak.....
I mean really? Jogoro lived for over a hundred years do to the poison in his System.
Rea, cause of death was her bleeding out. A second later. She's a Zombie!
Chihiro bleeds out all over the floor without a heart, makes it to a Hospital, and survives!
And again i ask "really?"
Is it even possible to take a lethal dose?
Rea, dranks it 1st handed. Not lethal! Maybe she's a half zombie then. because her ankle stop hurting.
Chihiro takes it 2nd handily. What some time before leaving Japan. Because after, she wanted nothing to do with him! It's not a lethal dose. But lasted long enough to save him 25 to 30 chapters later?
Question: When was the last time Chihiro came into contact with the poison?
Because on the Island I remember him saying. the effects of the poison is wearing off!
AtlasFlameFTJul 27, 2015 5:06 PM
Sep 2, 2015 8:52 AM
Oct 2013
Simply Put, this series is one of those with the best endings..at least, that's what I feel...I know that some are you are disappointed at the ending, but you know what? I don't get you at all!..For people like me, who prefer enjoyment to plot, this manga, Sankarea, has presented us/me with extreme bliss...If it had ended with either of the main characters dead, I most probably wouldn't have been this happy..Rather, I'd be disappointed with this Zombie-Moe-Rom-Com series, which has given me much enjoyment and a sense of fulfilment..Therefore, since it ended as I had desperately hoped, I am truly satisfied..and, declare this a 'masterpiece'!! (despite the unreasonbly pessimistic/ridiculous comments given by oh-so-awesome critics)
Sep 22, 2015 6:40 AM

Dec 2008
was there a FULL last 3 chapters ever posted in english anrwhere>
Oct 29, 2015 6:18 PM

Oct 2012
Happy but not satisfying :(
"Signature removed"
Dec 10, 2015 5:27 AM

Aug 2015
just finished the manga today, everything was veryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy gooooood until the ending where Furuya is still alive, so many things are forced !!!

i really didn't expect Rea to ate Furuya, i thought he's gone for good. i am sad that it happen but somehow that really fits the ending if he's really dead for Rea... until he shows up again at the funeral? wtf?

also do you guys knew why Furuya and Mero's mom is locked up in that old building with only upper-half of her body left?? it seems like she's turned fully into a zombie so what happened to her after that?? didn't they bury it at the shrine? wtf? i thought she had a good ending.... but i pity her!! damn accident

and did Baabu really died? mann i liked that cute cat!! i think Rea described his death as a peaceful one... but how? care to explain how did that cat die a peaceful death?

and Don-san really did nothing in the series, huh??? all he did was not calling an ambulance and the police?? i don't remember him saying anything to furuya or mero about their mom or all zombie stuff?? did he not know anything or what?

MANN I FEEL SO DISAPPOINTED WITH THE ENDING, it was so very good up until the funeral scene showed up!!
kvintanzilDec 10, 2015 5:30 AM
Dec 28, 2015 1:09 PM

Sep 2014
Lol @ that "heart eaten" asspull, I really had to force myself to finish this one..
May 20, 2016 11:48 AM

Dec 2015
I thought Furuya was KIA until the very end, happy ending but it was not satisfying
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Aug 6, 2016 10:56 PM
Jan 2013
Played me like a goddamn fiddle
gone bai bai
Aug 24, 2016 12:23 AM

Jan 2014
God damn it, it would have been a perfect ending if Furuya actually ended up dying. And have it to where in Reas last moment as she starts to rot away, she thinks of all the memories that she has experienced with him, with the last page saying something like:

"I've always loved you Furuya, you made my life worth living"

Buuuuuuuuuuuuut the author pulled a fast one on us. This was such a great manga, but that ending is so disappointing, not even a real confession either :/

WELL ANYWAYS, despite that bad ending, overall this was an amazing read, and I'm glad that I own all of the volumes of this series

Been a fun ride with this, Sankarea, you will be missed :(
Aug 26, 2016 6:22 PM
Apr 2014
I just finished the manga today, August 26th, 2016.

I started the manga just as I finished watching the anime, back when it was airing.

All I have to say is that this ending saddens me a lot.

Most of all, the ending seems so forced.

1. Her father was crazy for her, idolized her, even took photos of her naked when it was her birthday. EVERY YEAR. Then he fights Chihiro and understand things better. He needs to save her daughter now, so he travels all around the world, desperately seeking any possible help for her beloved daughter. Until this, we're alright.

BUT then he shows up from nothing saying that the only thing he could do is go to ZOMA, and that Jogoro told him everything about zombies. Okay!
(But he seriously didn't find any other person in the world capable of saving Rea, nor anyone that already had developed zombification even further?)

And then Jogoro dies.

2. In the Sanka School, he recalls that there "is still a way", and that Chihiro is the only one capable of saving Rea at that point. Okay!
(Typical shonen manga outcome: main character is the only one that can saves the world).

3. Ranko lost all the posibilities of becoming anything like a main character, since she just held her ground outside, and didn't think of anything else.
Same goes for Darin.
(Also, back at the lab, she said that Rea had some living tissues - that she was not entirely dead. This should have been used to develop a cure for Rea.)

Until now, we have the following scenary:

Chihiro and Rea inside the church, along with Babu.
Rea's father is wounded and lying on the ground there, with them, too.
Ranko and Darin are outside, being loyal to Chihiro's promise, which is respectable.

HOW WOULD I HAVE WRITTEN THE STORY FROM THAT POINT?

Rea is attacking Babu. Chihiro tries to stop Rea, but cannot since she is super strong.
Don is not mortally wounded, and counsels Chihiro.
"You can save my daughter. Even if she doesn't remember you now, you're still somewhere in her thoughts, deep inside in her mind. You can save it and I know you will."

Chihiro stands up, he's all messed up but charges on Rea. He holds both of her hands within his, lacing their fingers.
He yells all kind of stuff, what they've been through since they met. Because of Babu.
He reminds Rea of his family, also wounded but worried about her.

She starts to remember something.
He finally yells: I love you!
Now, she is finally back.

Fordwarding...

Darin starts to do some research on his condition.
She comes up with the following argument:
-Chihiro is half-zombie because all of the poison he had gotten because of Rea's biting.
-Rea was also a half-zombie because she drank the poison before accidentally end up dying. After bleeding out, she stands up already as a zombie.
-This means that if Chihiro dies, he will also come back as a zombie proving that he's also already poisoned, as Rea was at the moment of her "death".

Back in ZOMA's lab, Darin acknowledged that Rea was not like any other zombie they had seen ever before, and had still some living tissues and living cells within her, since the zombification process was not done after decease, but before.
(Also, the poison made by Chihiro was even better than his grandfather's.)

Rea did not entirely die, when she bled out.

FROM THAT POINT, they should have focused on finding a way of turning her over to a living human being. Which was really a possibility. Maybe with a cure? Maybe getting her new organs, blood transfusion... whatever.

The de-zombification process would have been amazing story to read, chapter by chapter...

Until she is finally alive again.

From there, she would confess to Chihiro after thanking him for everything he'd done just for saving her.

And they would have been able to be together, oficially as boyfriend as girlfriend, with the promise of finishing their studies together the following year.

Dan would break up with Aria after finding her true feelings of hatred towards his daughter, and would have Rea live with him again. Rea's relationship with her father would have greatly improved after all that had happened, of course. Chihiro would be greatly welcomed and respected by him, and Rea would be very happy for that.

"I used to like zombies...", would Chihiro think.
"But after all that we've been through..." Rea's smiling face would be in the background along this dialog bubble.
"I think I started to like the living." Chihiro would smile.
"Although Babu and jiji are now gone... It was because of you that we got to save Rea from a terrible fate."
"Thank you, Babu." Babu's image in a tree, looking happy.
"Thank you, jiji (grandfather)." We would see the city from above.
"This is really... life."

---------
Any thoughts by private message. Sorry for any mistakes in spelling and grammar, as english is not my mother language. And thank you for reading this far.
AkiyamaSaireiAug 26, 2016 6:26 PM
Sep 20, 2016 2:50 PM
Mar 2015
This ending was an alright ending. I'm just happy that Chihiro was still alive. That plot twist close to the end caught me completely off guard. And my favorite plot twists are almost always the ones that I don't see coming at all. This was a good series overall and probably one of the most unique love stories ever in anime. 9/10
Sep 20, 2016 10:59 PM
May 2016
This is one of the satisfying plot twists I've ever seen. I was happy Furuya was alive then I saw the extra chapter where Rea is all alone and she looks like she's merged with the ground this really got me dejected and it seems like decades have passed since then. Anyways this was an amazing read and I'm glad I got all the volumes of the manga.
Feb 22, 2017 10:50 PM

Oct 2016
Kinda disappointed with the pseudo-confession. "Thanks for the meal!" WTF lol.

But better than having Furuya dead.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

May 14, 2017 12:39 PM
Apr 2017
Wasn't a fan of how this ended. It felt as if the Author wanted to have it end with Rea eating Furuya and living the rest of her life alone out in the caves but for whatever reason had to change it and we got the asspull Furuya survives. Now, look I prefer happy endings in fact the happier the ending the better for me. Which is exactly why I didn't like this ending, it wasn't really happy. It was bittersweet and ambiguous. Rea sort of confess' but we aren't left with any real closure to their relationship, will they get together or will they just stay friends. I hate ambiguous endings, they just aren't my thing, if this is the end of the story I want to leave with closure -- not unanswered questions.
Jul 31, 2017 8:09 PM
Nov 2016
Would of been soooo much better if she did fully eat him. I would of given it a higher rating, but I guess it was a 5/10.

Mar 7, 2018 6:22 PM

May 2016
I loved the anime and end quite disappointed, such a waste of time.

My ideal ending (not the best of course) would be Rea death, let's be honest she was no longer human so it was natural. A farewell with a kiss or something if u want, but not this.
Sep 18, 2018 8:02 PM
Jan 2017
I was totally content with the fact Furuya was dead... like, I love him so much as a character, but being eaten by the zombie he created would have been brilliant XD it was kinda bittersweet. but in the end, he lived, which is also good bc now they can reform their relationship and be together for as long a rea has left. also, i belive rea has her memories back somewhat, from eating Chihiro's heart, so that worked out too. it was that very act that brought her back to her senses I bet.
all in all was a good read :D i binged the anime in a day and thought it was just gonna be echi slice of life romance between a zombie and a kid with a zombie fetish, but the manga?? so freakin good XD seriously, so glad i read it till the end, the anime don't even skim the surface of the storyline
not_a_dog_woofSep 25, 2018 8:04 PM
Nov 22, 2018 7:04 PM

Oct 2013
Was actually preparing myself for the inevitable, bittersweet finale that the series has been hinting down right from the get-go and then for the mangaka to suddenly conclude it this way just for the sake of ending the series in a happy note is BS.

To be fair, I was expecting nothing great from this series after watching the anime a few years ago but I thought the rest of the manga was quite interesting. It's just that that ending is so out of place and reading the epilogue just made it all the worse knowing Rea's fate.

May 15, 2019 4:36 PM

Aug 2008
Disappointing final chapter to wimp out at the end like that. Plus not even having a real confession after wimping out.

I guess for all the "horror" was more a kids manga with all the usual avoidance of any serious relationship between the leads. I'll just fill in my own ending in my head I guess.
Aug 27, 2019 1:45 AM

Jul 2015
Y'know, I think the ending never happened, it's pretty clear that she ate furuya (as sad as that is) and this is probably a delusion or dream ending
and even if it isn't, I'm happy my zombie loving cat boy isn't dead
SUPER CUTIE SUPER STAR
Mar 16, 2022 4:38 PM

Aug 2013
I expected the end would end up with Rea's death but this turn out of events is just weird and didn't feel like the authors real desire of what ending he wanted it to be
The closer you get to the light,the greater your shadow becomes.
Jan 25, 2023 5:19 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
I got scarred I thought she really ate Furuya, but at least despite having his heart ate he survived thanks to the poison, now that still feels like an open ending but it's good this way, it could have been much darker but the bittersweet ending fits the overall mood of the manga, many heartwarming and cute moments but many drama and sad ones. Enjoy it so much!
Dec 23, 2023 3:41 PM

May 2010
Man gotta say for a minute there I thought author really went for the bad ending, should have known better... I mean it's fine they're alive and well, but now it's just another love story. And Chihiro getting heart transplant was ehhh such a cop out. In any case, if it ended with Rea eating Chihiro and then gaining her senses back I'd definitely enjoy this more, tragic romances are so good... But it is what it is. 6/10
Apr 23, 1:07 PM

Apr 2020
Would have liked if author developed heart transplant part , zombies are not precise to just pull ur heart and that person even with poison would survive enough to get onto artificial machine .

This is bs , and small things like how long she lived , the final moments of her in rottening phase, how she survived that long etc

6.5/10 from me, overall it was nice , I just wanted author to develop this ending better
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Sankarea Chapter 56.1 Extra Discussion ( 1 2 )

End - May 27, 2015

95 by Kitsu-nee »»
Dec 23, 2023 3:44 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 4 Discussion

Laevantein - Mar 17, 2010

49 by Kitsu-nee »»
Oct 29, 2023 3:20 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 1 Discussion

RobinotX - Mar 6, 2010

15 by removed-user »»
Mar 4, 2023 6:57 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 13 Discussion

dbaranyi - Dec 15, 2010

26 by Niamhyuwu »»
Oct 15, 2022 8:45 AM

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 55 Discussion

Henticle-Tentai - Aug 12, 2014

27 by lqt »»
May 23, 2021 1:56 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.